I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 11:27   #91
BANNED

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
.... With the temperatures in Mumbai souring every day now, this could possibly be the worst time of the year to implement the no-films verdict.
I guess it Freudian. I thought Mumbai was somewhat cooler than the cow belt, but May was the period of double 90 - 90F and 90% Humidity! I have not had film since 1989 but am quite happy as it is. Also, (not too) happy at the turn of events.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 11:40   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Where is the option of "Civil Disobedience"?
(Civil disobedience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Tomorrow, if there is even more imbecility laden law, you would again allow it to make it through ... right? (It looks like this from the poll options).

If you want to ban, then ban tinted glasses also!
Otherwise CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 11:42   #93
BHPian

Car's piling up near Madhavan Park Jayanagar for getting the film/tint removed. Trust me the cops who were doing it themselves were doing a nasty job

Looks like this weekend i have remove the tints on my ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement-img2012051700372.jpg  

Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement-img2012051700373.jpg  

Old 17th May 2012, 12:15   #94
BHPian

There is actually confusion on what's legal & what's not! The below article in Autocar India should be able to clear some doubts.

Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India

"However, car manufacturers will continue to tint glasses, as there is no ban on this. For those confused between tinting and film – tinting is adding a tinge of colour to the glass itself during its manufacture, and this is factory fitted when you buy a new car. Sun-control film is an accessory applied to the car after its purchase. The problem with the latter is that it is difficult to tell if the sun film you are buying actually complies with opacity regulations.

The Supreme Court ruling allows the tint of the front and rear windshields with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) and side glasses with 50 percent VLT, but without any additional material applied to the glass.

So apart from window glass tinted from the factory, no additional sun protection can be added to your car’s windows. However, if you are provided with Z or Z+ security, you may be granted exemption from this law."

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2012 at 11:09. Reason: Removing incorrect line
Old 17th May 2012, 12:21   #95
BHPian

Chennai Police have told they will be implementing the Sun film rule from today they are not going to remove on 1st instance they will charge fine rs 100 2nd instance another fine 3rd they will remove.So i am going to play the wait and watch game.I dont use my car that much and film is well within previous permissible limits so let me wait and watch how things go in chennai
Old 17th May 2012, 12:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Chennai Police have told they will be implementing the Sun film rule from today they are not going to remove on 1st instance they will charge fine rs 100 2nd instance another fine 3rd they will remove.So i am going to play the wait and watch game.I dont use my car that much and film is well within previous permissible limits so let me wait and watch how things go in chennai
Seems like a good idea to wait and ground your car in the garage for some time.

Some obvious benifits of many of us doing it would be-

1. With many cars off roads there would be less congestion on roads for at least some time till things get clearer
2. Saving in fuel costs and the environment by either parking your car / using the two wheeler/ taking the public transport
3. Car pooling with friends and relatives especially with those who do not have a film on their car windows

More importantly lets hope that we get some kind of respite / amendment to the earlier rule passed in the near future so that we need not do a whole lot of antics to avoid the law and drive freely as ever.

Last edited by girishglg : 17th May 2012 at 12:50.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:49   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rule is no films only tinted glass can be the VLT% prescribed, so doesnt matter how light they are, they cannot be there on the glass
Old 17th May 2012, 13:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Seems like a good idea to wait and ground your car in the garage for some time.

Some obvious benifits of many of us doing it would be-

1. With many cars off roads there would be less congestion on roads for at least some time till things get clearer
2. Saving in fuel costs and the environment by either parking your car / using the two wheeler/ taking the public transport
3. Car pooling with friends and relatives especially with those who do not have a film on their car windows

More importantly lets hope that we get some kind of respite / amendment to the earlier rule passed in the near future so that we need not do a whole lot of antics to avoid the law and drive freely as ever.
We need a respite/amendment to the rule we are in the hottest months of the heat now in chennai without sun film means extra burning of fuel.How can the courts justify this rule when we suffer on all counts firstly by removing the sunfilm for which we spent so much and burning xtra fuel for a/c efficiency
Old 17th May 2012, 13:20   #99
BHPian

One more of the ridiculous rule which our country should opt for.
All this country can provide is hardship to the hard working tax payers.
Not one bit of public ease is provided to a middle class.

I just can't imagine driving the car without sunfilm inside Chennai.
An African who was here last year said to me "This is the hottest place I have ever been in my life".

The smart Indian way to fight crime.
Soon they would want everyone to wear 50% VLT clothes when you are in the open.

What about people wearing helmets. Its more like a mask to do criminal things. Next would be ban on wearing helmets when you ride. Go Supreme court Go.

Last edited by Visaster : 17th May 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Added info
Old 17th May 2012, 13:22   #100
BHPian

Seems theres an extension till 31May.

Karnataka Police orders removal of sun films from vehicles by May 31 - The Times of India
Old 17th May 2012, 13:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewpn View Post
Mathew,

Thanks for the link, but it does appear to be for western range, meaning Mangalore and all. And Not Bangalore

Wonder why the disparity in extensions and interpretations of data
Old 17th May 2012, 13:55   #102
Team-BHP Support

Okay, now I'm getting confused.

Up north in NCR, cops have already started checking/fining vehicles for tints.

In places like Pune, there isn't any major checking going on.

In B'lore, cops have given time until 31st May (now) to get the tints removed.

Supreme Court has said tints should be removed with immediate effect; there isn't any deadline as such. So, what are we waiting for? Bangalore Police won't have the authority to bypass the Supreme Court directive.

If someone were to appeal, it would have happened by now.

I have a feeling, this rule is here to stay. I don't see any point in waiting for something to happen. It is only in B'lore that there's an extension.
Old 17th May 2012, 13:58   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

I got it removed today, didn't want to be stopped by the cops. Went around for 10 Kms after removing the sun film and could easily find the difference. For sure A/C usage is going to increase which will in turn bring down the FE.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If someone were to appeal, it would have happened by now.

I have a feeling, this rule is here to stay. I don't see any point in waiting for something to happen. It is only in B'lore that there's an extension.
I think Garware has already filed an appeal (?). But the court is on vacation. So no verdict till the court is back in session. By that time, most of our tints would have been removed. Once a stay or an amendment comes, most would again flock to the accessories store and get the sunfilms done.

Off topic: isnt this a good time to invest in companies like Garware, 3M, Llumar?

Last edited by Pallavi : 17th May 2012 at 14:03.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
We've not exactly grounded our cars, because the cops in Kerala don't seem to have heard of this.
I am hoping it stays this way. Would be very interested in Trichur and Palghat, which are the places I take my car. Do post when they decide to use the new source of income!! Until then no long drives.

Quote:
Chennai Police have told they will be implementing the Sun film rule from today they are not going to remove on 1st instance they will charge fine rs 100 2nd instance another fine 3rd they will remove.
I am hoping this is not true, and they give us a respite till the summer is off.

Quote:
We need a respite/amendment to the rule we are in the hottest months of the heat now in chennai without sun film means extra burning of fuel.How can the courts justify this rule when we suffer on all counts firstly by removing the sunfilm for which we spent so much and burning xtra fuel for a/c efficiency
And to add to this, they are planning to increase the petrol cost by Rs.5 and Diesel by 3 as per today's news. So our courts and govts. are hell bent on causing maximum misery to the common people.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks