Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 18:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
+1 to that.

Further, if you want safety (ABS + Airbags), only the C8 gives that @ 7.36 L + 30K Octroi = 9L on-road. The comparative prices for the Ertiga ZDI ~10.5L OTR

Going 1 model lower that has ABS but no airbags -
MARUTI ERTIGA VXI ABS ~8.5 L OTR
Quanto C6 ~ 8.2L OTR

This is where the battle should be......
Oopsy! You are comparing prices of the Petrol Ertiga with the Diesel Quanto.
As per Carwale,
The Ertiga VDI (which has ABS Standard) comes to about 9.8 Lac OTR.
By comparison, the Quanto C6 (which also has ABS Standard) 7.9 Lac OTR.
The difference (of about 1.9 lac) is too large to be ignored since you can get a Nano CX in that price difference itself!

Comparing elsewhere, the most expensive Bolero, i.e. the 63 BHP Mahindra Bolero ZLX sells for 8.04 Lac OTR Thane. And that one doesn't have ABS, Cup Holders, Tubeless Tyres, Steering Adjustment, Front Fog Lights and Rear Defogger which are present on 14k less expensive Quanto C6.
The bare basic Bolero AC costs 6.96 Lac OTR, The Quanto C2 is priced at 6.71 Lac OTR.

Sibling Rivalry anyone?

*All Prices OTR Thane
-------------------
If the weight is actually more than the Innova and still it will be making less horses than one, and of course, not to mention the suspect handling, I am afraid it will be a very boring drive. It could work as a full time 5 seater with a humongous boot (300 liters more than Jazz, 180 liters more than Verito). But thats about it.

Also, can M&M not use this engine in the Thar? That would take the Thar inside the small car tax bracket (since its length is already <4m) and help cut prices by at least 60-80k (in just tax), in effect taking it well below Swift VDI and make it a viable option as a daily drive!

Last edited by antz.bin : 20th September 2012 at 18:17.
antz.bin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 18:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thats seriously some killer pricing. Quanto will surely affect the sales of ertiga as well as the duster. Waiting for the official review to judge its true worth.

God bless competition!!!
We may feel it is a killer pricing, but I dont think the competetion would need any protection. This may not exactly set the sales charts on fire. Why?

It is almost 350 Kgs heavier than the competition that is equivalent to 4-5 adults.

Yes it is priced cheaper than the other UVs out there, but one would seriously consider going that extra mile to over come the draw backs (Poor performance, bad interior quality, Bad ride comfort and very bad handling) listed by the ACI review. It is priced at par with the premium hatches and entry level sedans, but looking at the initial reports, other than the GC and space, the Quanto falls badly short on other points.

GC and space should entice one to look it over a hatch, but how does it make sense if the performance on the highway is nothing to talk about? If you really want to use the superior interior space, the already poor performance would get accentuated more. I seriously think the weight has put it down. It may do decent numbers, but the Hatches, sedans, and the other compact UVs should not be too worried.

Eagerly waiting for the Tbhp review to get a detailed insight on the car.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sorry. This looks more hideous than a Xylo. I can't find it appealing from any angle. At 1.6 tonnes and 17+ seconds to a ton, it's neither light nor quick. Would really like to know about braking abilities. I am not sure why we don't ever hear a measure of braking (say 80 to 0 distance in feet/metres).

My dad is planning to buy a new vehicle and this just doesn't cut it for me. Interest over.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Oopsy! You are comparing prices of the Petrol Ertiga with the Diesel Quanto.
As per Carwale,
The Ertiga VDI (which has ABS Standard) comes to about 9.8 Lac OTR.
By comparison, the Quanto C6 (which also has ABS Standard) 7.9 Lac OTR.
The difference (of about 1.9 lac) is too large to be ignored since you can get a Nano CX in that price difference itself!
Thanks. Picked the wrong Ertiga model. The Ertiga VDI should cost around 9.8L OTR as you said. Since I looked at the Mumbai prices I need to add the octroi charges with add another 30K to the Quanto price.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:26   #35
BHPian

Got an excellent chance to visit a Mahindra dealer @ Hyderabad - which I won't name due to an explicit request from the staff. Got to see the car in flesh and in all its glory. All the pictures on the forum including the one I have posted, don't do justice to its size. The car looks imposing to say the least. The quality of the plastics, the interiors, the front and middle leg room are an exact match with its bigger sibling - the XYLO. Although the one thing I did notice was the lightness of its doors (except for the rear one). The door grab handles and the door itself wouldn't inspire confidence from safety & quality point of view. Linea users wouldn't even board the car if they open it up! The OEM ICE is a good unit with average sound quality - I am sure some of the folks would immediately upgrade it as soon as they drive out of the showroom!

All in all, Mahindra has given exactly what many of us were looking for. Despite all their shortcomings, they are the only true customer centric manufacturers -XUV proved it and Quanto cements that belief to a large extent. The car is going to be my first one (Yes the dealer has promised me the first car delivery in Hyderabad!) and I must say that no other manufacturer has got it on target like the Mahindra's have. I feel the car will set the sales chart on fire and is surely going to give a tough fight (if not a drubbing) to the incumbent Ertiga & Duster, for its sheer value for money proposition.

The car reminds me of a TATA liner - More car per car, it definitely seems true in the Quanto's case!

Enjoy the pics! (and Apologies for the bad camera quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-cimg0100.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000142.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000143.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000144.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000145.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000146.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000147.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000148.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000149.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000149.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000151.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000152.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000155.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000156.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-img2012092000162.jpg  

vineet@bulbule is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 18:29   #36
BHPian

I would eagerly wait for official T-bhp review . having seen many xylo with their tyres facing the blue sky, i have my own reservation wrt to the tall stance of quanto but yes, pricing is spot on. few hatchbacks will surely feel the heat.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:42   #37
BHPian

That is one ugly looking car!

But seriously, given the momentum in the market for anything Mahindra and diesel this might just succeed. The pricing isn't really anything to go on. At this price for the top end, I'd rather prefer an i20 which has a much better and smoother engine.

The XUV is a hit with the enthusiasts also but this is going to be a dud in that department because of the Xylo genes. Ofcourse it may become a hit with the regular Airport run or in town taxi drivers.

All said, I'm confused with this vehicle. What segment are they targeting by basing it on the Xylo.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:48   #38
BHPian

As indicated here already, it will cannibalize Bolero ZLX, SLX & even SLE. The overall sales figures for Mahindra will be slightly more than earlier as surely Bolero sales will take a sizable hit. It's better that hit comes from their own product.

May be it will take the place of Bolero in sales if the engine establishes it's reliability in a few months.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
Few quick points from ACI test drive http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx

Few "expected" surprises (positives)...
1. Given the inherent imbalance of a three-cylinder engine, we were quite surprised by the engine’s refinement. Idle is fairly quiet, vibrations are well contained and some transmission judder apart, refinement is impressive.
2. The new engine uses a two-stage turbo and an intercooler to output fairly impressive power and torque figures of 98.6bhp and 24.5kgm.
3. The top-spec Quanto C8 we drove featured power windows, two airbags, a music player with MP3 and aux connectivity and a reverse-parking sensor.

Few things seems obvious but was expected should not be there...
1. The Quanto’s heavy kerb weight of 1640kg seriously weighs it down and it took a slow 17.41 seconds in the 0-100kph dash.
2. A car that will amble well through traffic but could find itself out of depth on the highway.
3. The top-heavy Quanto was slow to change direction and there was lots of body roll too.
4. Where the Xylo (I guess it should be quanto) fails to make an impression is in the areas of ride comfort (bumpy) and handling (sloppy)

Though still waiting for TBHP review, the points I was waiting for were almost answered - ride and handling - in a negative way.
If Autocarindia says the ride and handling is bad, read what Zighweels has to say on the same topic:

"The ride quality is terrific, probably the best if one compares it to any other hatchback but to some in the back and middle row seats would find it a tad on the firmer side"

Read full article here - http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-drive/14178/6

waiting for a Team-BHP road test to recommend the same to anyone new buyer!
Old 20th September 2012, 19:07   #40
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

I agree that Mahindra has priced quanto competitvely. But it looks too cramped to be comfortable. I dont think Quanto would pose a threat to Duster. I reserve my comments till I read team-bhp review.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

It would have been a lot more attractive had they worked on the front end especially the grill theme. The common Xylo/Genio/Quanto front end is the ugly link, though Genio slats are different. This gives even a new Genio a very aged and old look. Opinions may differ though.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th September 2012 at 19:15.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:31   #42
BHPian

I'll repeat myself - this is going to rule the Indian taxi market as well as tier-ii and tier-iii cities.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:40   #43
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Parrys for a wonderful short review.

More details would be revealed in the days to come.

I think this pricing will do the job for M&M. This is going to be "Taxi SUV" where C2 on road would come around 6.75L.

The audio is done by Visteon and remind the Figo/Fiesta HU's.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Exterior:

The car is not as tall as the Xylo. The compact dimensions make it look noticeably smaller. The design mirrors the Xylo closely and there is nothing radically new about it.
If the Xylo was ugly, this is downright hideous! What is that piece of metal above the grill that is not part of the bonnet opening!
Old 20th September 2012, 19:51   #45
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for Tbhp review. Need to change my current ride & was waiting for this mahindra , but disappointed with the feedback received so far. This sub 4 meter & mileage thing has definitely managed to give us some pathetic products.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed