Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 20:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Hmm. This, vs a used Dicor 2.2.....I think M&M has done a poor job of packaging this. Had at least ONE of ride/handling/middle row comfort (seat too upright), last row space, or fit n finish been better, this might've been popular.

As it stands, its not that VFM.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:27   #47
BHPian

It is surprising that while Quanto looks smaller than Duster, but still is 300+ kgs heavier that Duster. It would negate any horsepower advantage that Quanto may have (in paper) over Duster!
Old 20th September 2012, 20:27   #48
BHPian

If the car is sold as 5+2 seater then have they provided seat belts and safety options to the 3rd row? 3rd row looks very narrow for the persons to sit. When the door is closed it will be big trouble. What about safety of 3rd row passengers when someone bumps the vehicle from behind. In this aspect which is better? Ertiga or Duster or Quanto?

P.S: Request T-BHP moderators to provide an update on when the review will be out? Has the team already completed the test drive? I know quality review takes time, but you can feed information like this and keep us updated.

Last edited by prakasse : 20th September 2012 at 20:29.
prakasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 20:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Can Quanto be fitted with the Xylo power pack so that there is a hot version available for the enthusiast.
Further, is Quanto a 7 seater or a 5 seater with an aftermarket jump seats.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Excellent price range, thats going to matter a lot and i think they have done a fair job with the car - it looks better than what i though it would like when it came out.

3rd row i have very little hopes for , it looks tiny from the images

Mahindra has put put a few videos which are interesting to view on Youtube through a dedicated Quanto channel. They are walk-through's of the car under different categories by people who i think are supposed to 'look' like sales advisers , at least in some of them.

Technology in the Quanto

Comfort in the Quanto

Safety and Security in the Quanto

Quanto channel link
http://www.youtube.com/user/mahindra...ure=CCAQwRs%3D
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 20:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If the Xylo was ugly, this is downright hideous!
+1 to that.
I have not seen many Xylos on the road other than taxis.
Remember Xylo was launched as a death warrant for all sedans but I don't think any Sedan buyer would have even considered Xylo while planning his purchase.
As regards Quanto, I don't think any office going executive or a college chap eyeing a Swift/i20/Polo or Punto will even look at Quanto. Ertiga with Innova type looks, looks far better than this ugly Quanto and can appeal urban customers. At best the Premier Rio customers can consider the Quanto.
At the same time, I don't have any doubt regarding the success of Quanto as there will be enough demand from Tier II cities to keep MnM happy. Expect Rs.40000-50000 price hike after the first round of selling.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 21:03   #52
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The price looks good - placing it right in the middle of the superminis and the C1 segment/compact sedans. It does look quite awkward due to its skewed dimensions and the Xylo's ordinary design with its huge glass area.

The engine specs also look good on paper, but they are blunted by the Quanto's obesity thanks to the pick-up based chassis as opposed to the modern monocoque sported by its rivals. I was expecting Mahindra to improve the ride and handling, but they failed to do so. Maybe they tried, but one can only achieve so much with a shortened pick-up based body-on-frame design. I've travelled extensively in Xylo cabs and the first feeling I got was akin to sitting on the top deck of a double-decker bus - the high CoG and significant body roll gives one such a feeling. Also, the turning circle radius is huge for a sub-4m "compact car".

In effect, I think this is a good effort by Mahindra who are past masters at chopping and extending the chassis of UVs (remember the CJ3B based Commanders, Marshalls and other crude but rugged rural vehicles?) and should sell in moderate to decent numbers. But is it better than a sophisticated supermini such as an i20, Punto and the likes or a modern, monocoque MPV/SUV such as the Ertiga, Duster, upcoming EcoSport and the likes? No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse
If the car is sold as 5+2 seater then have they provided seat belts and safety options to the 3rd row? 3rd row looks very narrow for the persons to sit. When the door is closed it will be big trouble. What about safety of 3rd row passengers when someone bumps the vehicle from behind. In this aspect which is better? Ertiga or Duster or Quanto?
No seat belts are provided because the law requires manufacturers to provide seat belts only for front facing seats. Seat belts for side facing seats would require a different design than the ones for front facing seats, I guess.

Believe me, no adult would be comfortable sitting on side facing seats (even if they were spacious and comfortable) for anything more than 15 minutes. The acceleration and braking movement of the vehicle throws one from side to side and can be very unpleasant over long journeys. On the Quanto, the side facing seats are strictly meant for kids (<= 12 years) and not even for teens as it appears really cramped even with the rear door open. And of course, it is unsafe as well. At best, one can use these tiny side-facing rear seats as "pet seats" for the family dog or cat

So the Ertiga has got to have the best last row of seats of the trio simply because it is front facing with proper 3-point safety belts, followed by the Duster (more space for the jump seats), though I would never want to fit the optional accessory in the first place. It's best to keep the Quanto's last row folded away, if you ask me.

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2012 at 21:04.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 21:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

IF this "thing", (I still can't figure out what to call this contraption), comes in 4x4, I may actually buy it. Seriously.
The front is okay, but the rear is so hideous that its actually scary. Interiors look good(quite surprising). I am somehow dissapointed with the engine. Twin stage turbo and what not, and all they could manage are 99 horses?
We have 1.6 liter VGT engines churning around 125, atleast 115 should have been there.

And then the weight. Did they stuff bricks or something in the body. To have such a tiny thing weigh so much is so wrong.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 21:27   #54
BHPian

The price of the entry level diesel variant will definetely appeal to guys considering a diesel hatch in that price band. Overall fit & finish, interiors lack the WOW factor. However it scores on interior space as compared to other small cars.

Awaiting a detailed report on the performance front.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
IF this "thing", (I still can't figure out what to call this contraption), comes in 4x4, I may actually buy it. Seriously.
The front is okay, but the rear is so hideous that its actually scary. Interiors look good(quite surprising). I am somehow dissapointed with the engine. Twin stage turbo and what not, and all they could manage are 99 horses?
We have 1.6 liter VGT engines churning around 125, atleast 115 should have been there.

And then the weight. Did they stuff bricks or something in the body. To have such a tiny thing weigh so much is so wrong.
Hope my inputs help you here. I have seen the test mules on the road, believe me its not tiny. At smallest it is about 60% of a Safari, or about 80% size of a Xylo. So definitely not small. However purely looks wise, the small wheels, the big body makes it look like a overgrown hatch, actually very similar to a 125% scaled up Santro, with a spare wheel on the tailgate.
Performance wise on the expressway I believe it has great grunt, I was doing about 110-120kmph and this mule just blew past me, as if it was about 150-160kmph. So even if 100bhp, the horses are pretty quick.
Only drawback was the car appeared to be a bit too tall for its size, however the way the mule cornered on the expressway, I am sure handling and cornering is not a problem here.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:58   #56
BHPian

Here is a picture comparison. All images from their respective websites. Scaled by their dimensions and lined out. The dimensions of the Quanto are definitely disproportionate. With its weight and the CG so high, wonder how it behaves the roads. And, with a turning radius of 5.4m (same as the Xylo), it would be as good (or bad) as the Xylo in terms of maneuverability in the city. The only thing in favor of MM, IMO is the pricing. Waiting for the official review...
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-quanto_comparison.jpg
bejoy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 21:59   #57
BHPian

Given the Xylos underpinnings the weight is not surprising.
99 horses from a 3 pot bi turbo motor powering a heavy car and expected to return a decent average seems decent. Mahindra has really wracked their brains hard and produced a product with minimum further investment.

This Weirdo (read Quanto) is ticking a lot of boxes, if they launch a model without the jump seats and a better middle row, it will sell in higher numbers and given Mahindra's customer centric approach I think they just might do it.

Now I am just waiting for the Ecosports launch and pricing, I can only expect it to be higher than the Quanto and probably by a lakh or more (spec to spec) putting it dangerously close to the Scorpio and Safari.

Edit: thanks bejoy, that's a lovely pic, saved on my phone.

Last edited by Off Roadie : 20th September 2012 at 22:03.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:11   #58
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Because there is huge difference between car-based UVs and Jeep-based UVs in terms of ride quality. And the people sitting in the last row will tell you the other differences.
A very valid point. The Quanto may not dent the sales of the likes of Duster/Ecosport.
But Sumo will have a good competition.

Again in sedan category, I dont see the likes of Dzire being threatened. Need to wait and watch about how the movement from mainstream to Quanto pans out.

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2012 at 22:29.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

The weight is almost as much as an Innova, but Innova is much larger. Not good. Power and torque, again in range of Innova, which might not be a good thing. Innova suffers after 100 due to excessive noise from engine. This one might face similar problems.

After XUV, this seems to be an overconfident product. A nice driving experience is what this car might not be in a position to offer.

Rather than this, Mahindra should have gone in with the concept of city SUV, just like the Duster. The weight is just too much for a car which is approximately as large as Swift. Handling, atlesat as reported by ACI, is not good.

Times have moved a lot ahead in hatch and sedan segment and this is reflected in the products. At the same time, times have not changed in large people mover segment, we have overprice Innova, relatively VFM Xylo. Thats it. Mahinda should have filled in the gap with another product which complements Xylo. Or rather, a new Xylo based on XUV, and this would have given a real competition where Mahindra is its best. But this product, well it really looks like a shortcut.

Neither does this Quanto have proper compact 7 seater arrangement like Ertiga, nor does it fit as a small SUV like Duster.

EDIT:
A side by side image of Xylo and Quanto would help understand if Quanto is actually scaled down or not.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th September 2012 at 22:21.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 22:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Too heavy, too tall, too ugly.... an absolute waste of money if you ask me. I wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole. I am sure the rear passengers are going to puke the moment you show it some corners. Its going to rock more than a small boat in rough sea.
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed