Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 16:39   #46
BHPian

Re: TATA Vista Quadrajet 90

I have one question.

Why does a Vista/ Manza, feature an unfinished wavy bumper running all the way at the bottom?
Is it for design? or aesthetics? or for dynamic enhancement?

Why can't the rear parting line be neatly tucked under like of a Polo, or use a different color plastic attachment to hide it like in Figo?

Can't the quality persons see this issue as a Fault?

This blatant statement is due to this attitude from TATA engineers.
Even if the Tata cars are cheap, it is always about spending hard earned money. And if that money is well spent, only then you derive satisfaction from it.

This is just a one off instance.. Many many other things can also be stated.

Just to be curious, What extra cost do we save by:
1. Not buffing the various parting lines on plastic?
2. Keeping humongous gaps between panels?

I have nothing against Tata Vehicles. I have owned and driven an Indigo and Indica for one lakh kilometers with minor hitches only. The only thing that I have against TATA guys is failure in improvement in various areas.

And lastly, IMPROVEMENT is not just about packaging.. It is a lot about Manufacturing.

Cheers.
Abhijeet.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:55   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
I have one question.

Why does a Vista/ Manza, feature an unfinished wavy bumper running all the way at the bottom?
Is it for design? or aesthetics? or for dynamic enhancement?...
Guess you are talking about the rubber strip under the bumper. If so, that's for reducing the drag. If we are on the same page regarding the part, I should say I am surprised that you haven't noticed it under Swift/Dzire/i20 etc!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 17:07   #48
BHPian

Just checked with Concorde Motors, Chennai. They say the launch is next month (not sure). The vehicles are arrived. If interested we can have a look at the vehicle but unfortunately no test drive vehicle at this moment. No pricing information was also given.

I am in the market for a diesel hatch and was debating whether to opt for Punto75 or Punto90. Vista was not in my shortlist just because of the central instrument cluster. Now with the Manza dash I am highly tempted to consider it .Also I would save approx 1 - 1.5lac compared to Punto 90.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Guess you are talking about the rubber strip under the bumper. If so, that's for reducing the drag. If we are on the same page regarding the part, I should say I am surprised that you haven't noticed it under Swift/Dzire/i20 etc!
No sir,
The thing I am talking is the bumper edge at the bottom which is very very irregular. And to me it is a defect.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The point of contention here is the Vista range. Specially the refresh. In the last 14 months, Tata has sold more than a lakh units of these.
Gaurav
I dont think TATA is publishing separate sales figures for the Vista/Indica or the Indigo/Manza. Hence its difficult to know the split unless you have some other source of info.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
All said and done, this car has got it to set the roads as well as the sales charts on fire, but i have serious doubts on TATA's marketing capabilities as well as its Service stations to really pose any threat to the Swift or Figo or Polo with this Vista either.
Service station handicap's pull down much larger brands. For instance this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ut-motors.html

At some places it is lack of training from manufacturers at the service level, at others it's lackadaisical attitude once the car is sold.
Old 10th December 2012, 19:23   #52
HKS
BHPian

The brochure is leaked. Check this out. http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...eaked-9339.htm

the Vista 90 gets the instrument binnacle on the driver's side not centre.

Last edited by HKS : 10th December 2012 at 19:24. Reason: Added more info.
HKS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 20:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to TML, I say.....They deserve to taste success with this one. the Saffire 90 was a decent car, but a petrol "performance" hatch in today's day and age? not really!

this one though is a different proposition altogether. A brilliant diesel with good performace, all the necessary features and safety kit, brilliant packaging, at a killer price. Also, the Vista and manza ave proven to be as reliable as their competitors, so the only thing that will hold TML back is brand perception.

i for one would have never considered a Vista when it was launched because of the central console and the iffy plastics. But TML has steadly improved the interior quality of the Vista, and now the Refresh, with this version, looks to be a promising buy. When its time to replace my wife's car next year, this will be definitely on my shortlist.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 10th December 2012 at 20:41.
Old 10th December 2012, 21:02   #54
BHPian

Quite a interesting thread this with amusing comments. Somehow i am not convinced of the jigsaw puzzle approach done by these boffins - mix match engines with consoles, grille, headlamps, black roof and what not? Seems to be a wayward strategy rather than getting it right in the first instance.
Personally i would have liked for the 90hp
Subtle graphics and snazzy alloys
Dark shade interior with black seats
Meshed grille and may be skirts/ spoiler
Redesigned bumper especially in area of foglamps
Slightly stiffer suspension
Smaller steering wheel
Anyway the best surprise has been pricing, will be interesting to see the if hike in sales is theoretical or really achieved.
Old 10th December 2012, 22:33   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
@bblost, It seems that you have seen the car in person. Could you please comment if the above changes are indeed true.
Sorry.

I spent like 10 minutes looking at the car and checking the interiors. Will try and go back to the showroom for another look and will update the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
The brochure is leaked. Check this out. http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...eaked-9339.htm

the Vista 90 gets the instrument binnacle on the driver's side not centre.
Thanks for the link.

If I buy the Vista 90 Qjd, I will buy it in Yellow color. Then with its black roof, it will look like the opposite of a taxi.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 22:45   #56
BHPian

As VISTA is sold close to 4K units a months with the VFM tag and with a 90PS Qjet engine, they have to market them as a sports version; for which one need to be a great handler which Vista isint. I dont think Tata will work on the Suspension (Costly) and the 90PS engine and the VGT will incur more to the Ex showroom price of Vista which the car buying pool would not accept.

But, i really wish Vista 90PS with a better suspension and Manza dashboard is offered with some exterior changes to make out the difference between 75PS and 90PS version of Vistas. It will be a dream come true, at least for me - Space and power (Practicality, VFM and Fun) what a combo !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2903209

3 Months back I said the above quoted post in the Thread link pasted above.

On the pricing front Tata Motors has made me eat my words.

I was in the market for a mini-suv or a Sunny or a Vista with more power.

All 3 from different segements, but they have one thing in common Space and a better ride than the competition was a must.

now its a no brainer, its gonna be the Vista 90 PS Qjet.

1 doubt though - Does it have a MID now like Manza as it carries forward its dashboard ? as there will be a space for the MID, now i would not want it to be ugly empty.

Cheers,
Chaos

Last edited by revv_maniac : 10th December 2012 at 22:49. Reason: differentiate
Old 11th December 2012, 13:55   #57
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad

VX
Ex Showroom: 596532
Reg: 71783
Insurance: 22113
EW: 4850
Customer Care: 3500
AMC: 8300
OTR: 707078

ZX
Ex Showroom: 656022
Reg: 78922
Insurance: 24198
EW: 4850
Customer Care: 3500
AMC: 8300
OTR: 775792
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 13:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ from a lot of you here. The vista 90 is not going to ramp up the existing numbers at all. Diesel hatch back customers are not looking at the extra 15 bhp in any case. If "power" was the criteria, figo would not be outselling the vista.
I for one feel that Tata has lost the B+ hatch back battle already. Indica's taxi image is a huge turn off and that I think is the main factor for customers to turn away to alternatives like the Figo & the swift. As long as Tata wants to squeeze money from the 15 year old indica platform by pushing variants of the same, people will tend to stay away from their newer cars. Tata has to let go of the Indica. Just produce indicabs, sell them as only Taxis. And there has to be just one more variant-The CS based on the older indica and that too till the newer manza CS arrives. If they dont let go off their decade old cars like sumo and the indica,customers will not perceive them as a brand they want to own.
Look at Maruti & Hyundai, today their top sellers like the dzire, swift, i20, verna are all less than 2 years old in their lifecycle and these have become their breadwinners. They have let go off cars such as the 800, esteem, zen, santro, which once were their top sellers. Tata has to learn to do this. Even if it results in a short term sales loss, they will benefit in the long term when they create a better brand image for themselves. Else they will always remain the manufacturers who produce indicas and the sumos, even if they offer the latest diesel tech from Fiat or from anyone.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 14:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hell Rider, thats an extremely well written post, and I understand your frustration at the bashing that Tata keeps getting.

A couple of questions for you though:

1) Who really says that Tata is a brand for the mileage conscious? I don't think thats really true, since there are some other cars that come to mind when I think mileage, for example, Beat diesel, Ford Fiesta diesel, Alto Petrol, Nano perhaps, but not really the Vista/Manza range

2) Why do you think that Tata, inspite of trying to be so responsive to the market and inspite of launching cars with more powerful engines at a very reasonable price point are unable to sell more Vistas v/s Swifts or Figos?

I mean I can understand that some folks bash the company no matter what and they are perhaps biased, but why would a potential car buyer not want to buy a more powerful car at a cheaper price from such a responsive manufacturer?

I think some introspection will help you arrive at the answer. Best of luck.
And once again, very well written article. Love your passionate approach.
I am cheesed off that the criticism is directed at TATA's decision to launch a new product. You will notice that subsequent to my posts, there have been criticisms and complaints on quality of TATA cars. Previous to my post, the criticism was of the launch of a new product. That is just lame, in my opinion.

I don't have any complaints about people complaining about the quality levels of TATA cars. You get what you pay for.

But it is ridiculous to criticize a company for constantly trying to innovate and update its product line. All TATA is doing is trying to provide a right mix for everyone. What is so bad about that ?

In any case, the people criticizing this launch are anyway not prospective TATA customers. If TATA chooses to provide yet another option for those prospective customers, what is the harm ? And where is the flaw in the strategy ? Having a well rounded product line-up is no bad thing.
hell_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 15:21   #60
BHPian

^^^^^ people bashing tata for being tata are the same that are aghast at bolero selling 10 k units per month .lol... the under powered bolero offers space ,cheap and readily available spares, tractor mechanics can repair them!

The target customer of old indica has no choice but the indica really!

The vista upgrade is a refresh and a positive step . It doesn't matter if it doesn't handle like a punto! It is a better product than before at a competitive price. I think that's the bottom line.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks