Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 21:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

TATA Vista Quadrajet 90

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Review of the Vista D90 is located at this link. Thanks!

Tata introduced yet another variant in Vista range - Vista Quatrajet 90 as per ACI
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/325...s-on-sale.aspx

The pricing is the most attractive part IMO.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2013 at 21:39. Reason: Adding link to D90 Review
Old 7th December 2012, 22:32   #2
BHPian

Re: TATA Vista Quadrajet 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Tata introduced yet another variant in Vista range - Vista Quatrajet 90 as per ACI
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/325...0-goes-on-sale

The pricing is the most attractive part IMO.
Best thing apart from 1.3 mjd 90bhp is the manza style dashboard . The old one with center console always seemed to be made for the cabbies . Now i can upgrade from my indica to vista 90.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Though it was all over in the news and an sure launch, what surprises the most is the pricing. If this car should set blaze it should not only be the tarmac but also the sales charts.

It has been rare and far between we have got hot hatches in our country, the only one I can recall is Getz CRDi. Hope it has improved reliability and with this motor it should start flying off the shelf!
Old 7th December 2012, 23:15   #4
BHPian

Tata had done a very good job with the Vista when it was initially launched. They kept on constantly improving the car and now this - Tata is learning.

Hope fully they should now advertise it correctly and should concentrate on the sales.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:36   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

That is a great launch by TATA. Makes the Fiat Punto 90HP grossly overpriced.

I am not sure if it would set the sales charts in fire for TATA, but if Maruti launches a 90 HP Swift, then it would really break all records.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

What a winner this one is.
They now have vista with all possible engine combinations ( 5 in total )

Manza cs with be a good addition when launched.
The best part as other have said - Manza dash and the fact that it costs much lesser than punto90hp.

Even if maruti launches a Swift 90, it is going to cost a bomb.
IIRC Vista 90 Vx costs the same as Current swift ldi variant, and thats VFM from TATA.

But why black roof? not a good idea in our conditions, AC will have to work that much harder now.

Instead they should have given sun roof as an option and added a arm rest at rear.

Last edited by silverado : 7th December 2012 at 23:43.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
That is a great launch by TATA. Makes the Fiat Punto 90HP grossly overpriced.
Then, what would you call the pricing of Swift ZDI?

Swift ZDI (Ex-showroom mumbai) is priced at 7.13L. Now Vista 90 is priced at 6.63L. I would see this as a move from Tata to pitch against Swift and not Punto. GP has never been a competitor to any other car. Those who decide to buy a Fiat, will go for Fiat anyway.
rameshnanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 23:50   #8
gemi_kk

I was browsing through the Tata's Websites and found it interesting.

I never knew that this is a new model prior going through this thread.

Yes, as discussed, the pricing is very attractive. but havent seen any Ads in TV related to this car Launch.

However, having a second thought, this is not the way a Company should run. They have Indica with Quadrajet (Fiat engine with 90Hp), they have TDI, they have petrol car and also they have another indica with a diesel engine.

The same looking car shouldn't exist in 4 models. They should segregate the products. Product segregation is very important.

Assume if a customer for an indica walks in and discusses with SA. The SA gives all the Bashan about different engines that they have but what matters to the customer? It is Either FE or good looking car with a bit less FE. what else.

The same is the case with Indigo too. They should reduce the engines on same car and launch a new different looking car with different engine. This is how they are going to fill their showroom and fill the customer's mind with their products. Believe me, this will ensure that the customer doesnt think of other company products. This happens with Maruti. I See swift, think of it and then come to a conclusion that Swift is expensive. Then the competetor comes in my mind its Ritz, later the Wagon R comes, then rest of the small cars comes into my mind.

This is how a company should put their portfolio. How not to present your portfolio? Learn from Tata's existing range.

Old 8th December 2012, 00:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer a bit of differentiation in the exterior looks as well even if it makes it slightly costlier. A subtle body kit, gun metal chromed or better still black badges in place of chrome and wider tyres would transform the looks completely.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:32   #10
BHPian

Looks like other than Fiat, all other manufacuturers are making hay with the MJD engine.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Though it was all over in the news and an sure launch, what surprises the most is the pricing. If this car should set blaze it should not only be the tarmac but also the sales charts.
Time for a reality check! Who is the target customer for Vista hatchback? And would he really care if the engine is having 75bhp/ 90bhp?

Their target customers may buy it for the manza dashboard more than 90HP engine! I dont think this one will not make a big difference to the sales. However, i do feel it makes for one VFM family car. Good engine, good space and good features. It is definitely not the car for enthusiasts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
Looks like other than Fiat, all other manufacuturers are making hay with the MJD engine.
You are forgetting that the only reason FIAT is alive till now is because the other manufacturers are making hay with their engines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 11:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pricing seems to be VFM. Just about 20K more than the 75PS version. That brings up the question, who'll buy the 75PS version then? Obviously the Vista90 would sport better interiors and better engine and with a price difference of only around 20K.

IMO, TaMo is planning to phase out the Quadra75 from the Vista range. They can replace it with the CR4 engine and price it even lower. While at it, they could also get rid of the TDi engine from the Vista range. So the future Vista range should look something like this.

Vista Safire 4 - 5L
Vista CR4 4.5 - 5.6L
Vista Quadra90 5.8 - 6.6L

Last edited by safari_lover : 8th December 2012 at 11:59.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:53   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

The same looking car shouldn't exist in 4 models. They should segregate the products. Product segregation is very important.

This is how a company should put their portfolio. How not to present your portfolio? Learn from Tata's existing range.
I agree with gemi 100%. TATA should use their strength in engines (both the Quadrajet and the CR4) are brilliant and could be plonked onto a new body / shell to create a new segment altogether. A revival of the SIERRA with a sub-4 meter proportion (aka Jeep Wrangler) and the Sumo Gold's 3 litre CR4 engine should go well.

Another option is a Manza CS with the 1.4 CR4 of the Indigo and a shorter wheel base - (retuned to a slightly higher power - say 85 BHP), which would also do well.

The Venture with the CR4 (Indigo) engine is a sure winner with the cabbies and rural market - dunno why TATA still powers it with the outdated TCIC one ?
Old 8th December 2012, 14:21   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good job with the Vista! Nice engine, meter console where it should be and black roof

On the other hand, Tata should seriously let go of the least selling engines. Reminds me of a post I made not so long ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata is not only making its customers confused, but is looking confused itself. Get this:

Indica variants (All info from their website):

eXeta : 8 variants
Indica eV2 : 4 variants
Indica V2 N/A : 4 variants

Thus, you have a whopping 16 variants of the 15 year old Indica!

Indigo:

eCS : 9 variants across THREE different engine options

XL : 3 variants

In all, the ol' Indigo has 12 variants!

Manza

8 variants (the only sensibly positioned car here). 4 each for petrol & diesel.

Vista

TWELVE variants with FOUR engine options.

If I were a potential customer, I'd be sure as hell confused in a Tata showroom . I mean, seriously, does the Vista need FOUR engine options?

Meanwhile, Maruti keeps it simple. The Swift has 3 variants (entry, mid, top) for each of the two engines (petrol, diesel). The Swift & Dzire have sold 20,000 and 10,000 units respectively in some of the recent months.

I can just imagine the scene:

Tata Junior : Sir, our sales are down / flat in the last quarter
Tata Senior : Lets release some more engine options and variants. That should solve matters for sure.

The other manufacturer which comes to mind with more variants than required is Fiat. No surprise as Tata was handling its marketing.

Now, this thread announces even more VARIANTS . Tata should rename itself to VARIANT MOTORS.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 15:43   #15
BHPian

GTO that is so true !!

And as CrAzY-dRiVeR rightly pointed out, the market at which the Vista is aimed is not one which would care much about a 90HP engine. They would have gone and bought the Vista even with the 75HP engine.

Tata has me confused
Enigmatic is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks