Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 21:44   #16
AWD
BHPian

re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Tachometer going to make it to the features list on Liva Diesel ?

Wish Toyota had also moved the Speedo consol from center to behind the steering!
AWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 22:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

In the video, the color seems to be a new addition too. The dark grey or whatever it is called from the Innova and Fortuner series.

Or is it the light playing the trick here and it is the same light blue color?.
Old 8th March 2013, 23:13   #18
BHPian

From the video , it looks more grown up and much better than the current version. Interiors feels nicer.
But I have my doubts on the life of protruding turn signals on the rear view mirrors. Wont last long considering the traffic and tight space parking situations in our cities.
Old 9th March 2013, 08:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Seems Toyota is learning the ways to appease the market. However, how many of them are substantial is something to look out for. But what does it matter as long as they can churn out numbers.

However, not many understand that it was a pretty well built car already, only marred by
- High NVH levels
- Dull LOOKING plastics. But I would say, which were still good quality if you really see their thickness, sturdiness and fitting etc. In fact I would rate the dark/black plastic a better looker (grey from first batch was ok too) and manageable than the beige unless it is the quality of Innova which are easy to maintain.
- center console not to everybody's liking but still it was positioned well not to cause any issues or become hindrance. I too would have preferred a normal position.

What they may have done to give it a early-life change-over, as it appears from pics and video, is just put in some goodies to appease market
- like mirrors with side indicators
- different tail lamp combinations
- adjustable front head-rests - would be ok but not really a great leap from the earlier designs unless the seats are redesigned accordingly. The earlier seats too give decent comfort and support to neck and head. That brings to the question, have they thought about the adjustable head-rests for rear seats also like competition? Would that not be a better thing to do seeing the better support needed for back benchers?
- same plastic made over to look different and better treated to feel good internally, and nothing more. Investing in all new plastics is not the cup of tea for Toyota, IMO

Also, changing over center console so soon would be out of question and too much an investment for an extremely conservative Toyota which will try milk market unless it breaks even and only take decision over that down the line after 5 years or so.

I would look forward to if they have
- improved the metal thicknesses
- improved NVH fittings instead of thermocol sandwitched between panels and any other things to disallow external, engine, road tyre noise filtering into cabin
- improved the thicknesses of the seats
- improved corrogated wafer thin boot sheet to something better
- alloy spare for higher variant
- ABS, EBD standard for G atleast, would like it see across all the variants though

Overall, IMO, it is just a feel good exercise and nothing materialistic. Toyota has to start thinking better and not take Indian public for granted.

P.S. We own an Etios G.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 10:04   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a new buy and certainly it will help as an alternative to choose from. Frankly, was not a very big fan of original variant except the powerful AC - great for Indian conditions. Cheers
Old 9th March 2013, 11:56   #21
BHPian

Good for Toyota that they have finally heard what the market says. The car already has a few features which are outstanding, now that would be complimented with an interior which people want. With just Rs 8000/- more with the face lifted version, I would say Etios/Liva might become the most VFM car in this segment.

Besides the cosmetic changes, in which I am not much interested, the following things are welcome:

1. Addition of indicator lamps in the OVRMs.
2. Armrest.
3. New hydraulic mount for the engine to cut down NVH.

Electrically operated OVRMs would have been even better.

I wish I could retro-fit these three in my Liva. That would be great.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Nandi Toyota, Bangalore is offering a 50k discount on the present models of the Liva for bookings made before 15th March. The sales rep also mentioned the new car will be on display and TD 11th onwards.
TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 00:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Seems Toyota is learning the ways to appease the market. However, how many of them are substantial is something to look out for. But what does it matter as long as they can churn out numbers.

P.S. We own an Etios G.
Well summed up! But I think if the thirsty petrol is anything to go by, I see the Etios twins lapped up more by the taxi market. I own a 6 months old G SP and waiting for Amaze to trade in. Not many can live with D segment like mileage figure of 9-10 in city, which is quoted as 'normal' by the service team.
Old 10th March 2013, 00:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Nandi Toyota, Bangalore is offering a 50k discount on the present models of the Liva for bookings made before 15th March. The sales rep also mentioned the new car will be on display and TD 11th onwards.
50K is a hopping discount for a car like Liva. I feel bad for the people who bought just few weeks back paying 50K more.
Old 10th March 2013, 08:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Well summed up! But I think if the thirsty petrol is anything to go by, I see the Etios twins lapped up more by the taxi market. I own a 6 months old G SP and waiting for Amaze to trade in. Not many can live with D segment like mileage figure of 9-10 in city, which is quoted as 'normal' by the service team.
Oh yes, I think Etios Petrol (and G/GSP) are going to be favorite with the taxi segment going forward also as is right now also. They conveniently convert to gas and get a nice mileage and cost effectiveness.

Still, 9-10 can't be digested. Some D-Segment ones may also shame it. We are getting consistently about 12-13 in Pune city traffic driven by a sedate driver. So whoever getting 9-10 should definitely raise a hue and cry and get it addressed and not go by SAs fooling customers saying it is normal. I have personally extracted similar and on highway 18-19+ with sedate driving.
Old 10th March 2013, 08:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Oh yes, I think Etios Petrol (and G/GSP) are going to be favorite with the taxi segment going forward also as is right now also. They conveniently convert to gas and get a nice mileage and cost effectiveness.

Still, 9-10 can't be digested. Some D-Segment ones may also shame it. We are getting consistently about 12-13 in Pune city traffic driven by a sedate driver. So whoever getting 9-10 should definitely raise a hue and cry and get it addressed and not go by SAs fooling customers saying it is normal. I have personally extracted similar and on highway 18-19+ with sedate driving.
How could I make a hue and cry when SA declares 8 - 10 is normal in Chennai traffic?

19 in highway? Either You're pretty lucky or I'd been blessed with a lemon.

By the way, I'm a very sedate driver too.
Old 10th March 2013, 09:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
How could I make a hue and cry when SA declares 8 - 10 is normal in Chennai traffic?

19 in highway? Either You're pretty lucky or I'd been blessed with a lemon.

By the way, I'm a very sedate driver too.
When I say highway and sedate driving, I have been saying it from observing from driving it mostly on Mumbai-Pune Expressway. At times it has even returned 14-15 on the same stretch doing some spirited driving. What works best in sedate driving to achieve such mileage is slow & controlled acceleration/deceleration, less frequent, controlled & no-sudden braking, no clutch riding, keeping speeds in the variable range of 60-90, end up taking toll on travel duration. Anything above and any deviations from this and it goes for a toss. I use it for some spirited drives once in a while to satiate that adrenaline rush.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:06   #28
rbp
BHPian

I got to see the new Etios yesterday while I was riding back, it was the grey colored one, it is different from the fortuner and innova grey [100% confirmed], I loved the color. I too have my reservations about the protruding indicators, it wont last long. I was more interested in the dashboard, hoping there would be an upgrade, unfortunately it is the same 80's style dashboard as it is in the existing car, may be the material has improved, I sped off after looking at the dash.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Tachometer going to make it to the features list on Liva Diesel ?

Wish Toyota had also moved the Speedo consol from center to behind the steering!
Exactly my view!

Toyota should have given this some due thought. Even TATA has moved the speedometer to behind the steering in the D90 Vista. I am pretty sure, this is one of the grouses that people hold against the Etios twins. The centre console is very inconvenient and looks way too unconventional.

-Shivang Gandotra
Old 10th March 2013, 12:30   #30
BHPian

In my opinion the biggest change the car has to undergo is bring the centre console to right. This is how tata's screwed up vista sales. It would be even better if they can change the design as it looks quite outdated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks