Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:38   #31
BHPian

re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Kisashi case is totally opposite, A brand known for budget cars enterred into premium segment and got hurt. People can't accept/relate Maruti suzuki with premiumness. Vitara and Kisashi is the evident.

1 series and A class MUST share the same place (showroom and A$$) with the brand's high-end siblings, otherwise this will surely not stand in the market. Merc and BMW definetly know this. Most people will go for this for 'brand' sake, and if they get step motherly treatment no one will spend on it.
Agreed. My point was this will be priced higher so that only very few will be considering this. One more thing a premium buyer in market for a hatch in India consider a 1 series or a mini?
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I believe these cars (1-series, A-Class etc.) will be fairly successful in India. More than the value (or usability) it provides an entry into the BMW/Merc/Audi world for a price below (or around) 20 lakhs. The pre-facelift X1 did well in India for the same reason. Other than being the cheapest BMW, I did not find any major USP for that car.

The new 1-series is high on quality (on par with the 3-series), and the space in offer is quite similar to the previous gen 3-series. It’s a big hatchback by Indian standards.
Apart from being just a big hatch, I think there is a fundamental difference to the 1 series. I think the 135i or the 135M etc. are the purest BMWs in terms of driving experience and involvement out there at this moment. People who don't like the bloated new 3 series will love the 1 series for being true to BMW heritage. If I'm buying a car for my own driving fun, and not going to be chauffeured around, this is a much better buy than the 3 series.
Old 3rd May 2013, 06:43   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Apart from being just a big hatch, I think there is a fundamental difference to the 1 series. I think the 135i or the 135M etc. are the purest BMWs in terms of driving experience and involvement out there at this moment. People who don't like the bloated new 3 series will love the 1 series for being true to BMW heritage. If I'm buying a car for my own driving fun, and not going to be chauffeured around, this is a much better buy than the 3 series.
On the looks front there maybe different opinions, but I believe the 3 in many ways is the true representation of the BMW brand. I mean, the 135i or 135M are extremely capable cars but so are the 328i or 335i. And for India it should be the regular 116i/118i (and the corresponding diesels).

The M-tuned 135M is indeed the most loved model from the 1-series range, but if launched in India, it will easily cost more than 50 lakhs.
Old 3rd May 2013, 08:56   #34
BHPian

Not quite convinced about the saleability of these cars.

Looks like the 1 series will be priced approx. 3-5 lacs lower than the Current 3 series. The CLA ( to be launched later this year) is also priced similarly. And so will be the A3. Don't quite see why anybody would go for a hatchback then ? Bare in mind, most people going for the entry level Germans A4, C, 3 series are first time aspirational buyers looking to upgrade from a Japanese or Korean vehicle. Its going to be the best car in their garage. I don't see why anybody would want that space occupied by a hatchback with very little practical use.

It could find rich buyers looking for a lifestyle choice in which case the competitors will be similarly priced hatchbacks aka mini and beetle. We all know how successful they've been in india.

Low priced Germans is not a foolproof mantra. The X1 met with very little success Inspite of being offered at 21 lacs ex showroom and being so much more practical in every way than a 1 series hatch. But it was ugly. And so is the 1 series.
Old 6th June 2013, 22:16   #35
vij
BHPian

Any further news on this? Is it on schedule for September launch. Is that confirmed news?

Any chance this could be priced similar to A/B class ?
Old 7th June 2013, 07:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Does the 1 Series have a FWD or RWD layout?
IIRC BMW doesn't make a FWD car. However they're planning to launch a few FWD models next year.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuser View Post
IIRC BMW doesn't make a FWD car. However they're planning to launch a few FWD models next year.
Right, they don't currently make a FWD car. But they maybe going FWD in the future to lower entry prices and improve fuel economy. Read this from the wall street journal - after BMW launched a FWD concept at the Paris Auto Show. WSJ on BMW FWD
The current 1 series is a RWD car and it probably has one of the best platforms of this generation.
Old 7th June 2013, 21:34   #38
BHPian

I hope BMW does not disappoint on the engines front as Mercedes did with the A-Class. I think they should put in the 145 bhp version to differentiate it from the A-Class.
Old 7th June 2013, 22:20   #39
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
The crucial part, Pricing. 3 series is at 24K Pounds in UK and inr 40L in India(3 owners correct me if i am wrong)
1 Series is at 19K pounds in UK and roughly 31L INR.
BMW may need to use max localization for this to make an affordable luxury.
My click of 1 Series
The 320d in the UK is about 29,000 pounds. In India is it not 35L otr?
If that is an indication, then 1 series could land at around 23 lac OTR and it could eat up the Merc A at that price. The problem though is they dont have to whack the A class, they just have to beat it barely and as such they dont need to offer both better price and performance. They might launch it around 22L ex-showroom and that way it will occupy the slow left by the older and cheaper X1.

Last edited by vij : 7th June 2013 at 22:30.
Old 14th June 2013, 09:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Today's Times of India has a big ad on the 1 series. Dynamic 1 coming soon to India. That was fast from BMW.

Looks like the success of the A class has put a shot in the arms for BMW to speed up the 1 series launch in India.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 10:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Advantage on price front would favour BMW!

Quote:
The 1 Series will go head-on with the baby Benz, though being a locally assembled car, the Bimmer could enjoy a price advantage.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/06/b...campaign-81798
Old 14th June 2013, 11:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I am quite surprised by the number of bookings of the A with such bad engines. I guess they will be second cars for the "Ms / Mrs" to be chauffeured around.

The driver centric buyers will have an option between the Mini and 1 series, both of which may see competitive pricing with increasing local assembly. Let us hope that BMW provides some decent engine options, unlike the A.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 12:05   #43
Team-BHP Support

Apparently we will get a 116i and a 118d which are around 140bhp. So this should be a more fun car than the A class.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 09:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Apparently we will get a 116i and a 118d which are around 140bhp. So this should be a more fun car than the A class.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/346...or-india.aspx/

This article says in the interest of saving costs the engine options will be same as the 3 series. Aka 181 bhp diesel and petrol would be same as the 320i

Now that'll really be something !
Old 18th June 2013, 09:48   #45
BHPian

Guys! I believe we need to change our rhetoric when it comes to premium hatchbacks.

If we keep on speculating whether luxury hatchbacks (Merc, BMW >15 Lacs) will do well in India, things are not going to change at all. If we cannot conceive change, how will it ever happen?

Smaller countries around the world with much smaller populations are crowded with these hatches. I am so sick of our 3rd world treatment despite increasing disposable income and a humungous population.

Auto bigwigs read team-bhp and we should inspire confidence. If they keep on reading things like "my relative asked me why I spent 20 Lacs on a hatchback", it is going to be a vicious cycle of mediocrity.

If enough number of people believe in something, its becomes 'status quo' a.k.a the 100th monkey syndrome!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks