Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 21:58   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Why remap ? When you can get the 120d, As per ACI report 120d launch will follow
Hope they do launch it, but for similar reasons of Merc not launching the A220cdi, I have a feeling the 120d may take a while. I hope I am proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
As you mentioned, AUDI is way more proactive. They're also the first ones to start manufacturing in india.
Manufacturing or assembling? As far as I know none of them manufacture, they just assemble CKDs with a few local made parts. If you are talking about the same then BMW was assembling cars here before Audi even set up their dealerships properly.

Though I agree Audi is marketing well, and is offering great finance schemes and discounts which is why they are selling so well. They have also understood what the average Indian wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Just called up and inquired about the possibilities of the 120d arriving here from a friend working with BMW.
Even they aren't sure as yet if the 120d will make it here but might know soon now. Even if it does come here though, it will be a CBU so pricing could be distinctively above the top spec 118d.
143hp/320nm though healthy are specs identical to the Skoda Laura and that has a DSG which is as good as auto-trannys get. For someone with the Skoda Laura as a daily drive ,the 120d with 184ps/380nm would make for a much more exciting proposition than the 118d.
Should be an absolute hoot to drive but those looks will take some serious getting used to !
Sounds like nonsense to me man. Because if the 118d is already going to be a CKD, and the 20d engines are already assembled and used here in a few cars then why would the 120d be a CBU? Sounds like this chap doesn't know what he is talking about.

EDIT - Mpower, it is the same engine.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 8th August 2013 at 22:05.
Old 8th August 2013, 21:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

Is it a different engine?

I thought 118d is just a de-tuned version of the 120d.
Old 8th August 2013, 22:10   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Manufacturing or assembling? As far as I know none of them manufacture, they just assemble CKDs with a few local made parts. If you are talking about the same then BMW was assembling cars here before Audi even set up their dealerships properly.

Though I agree Audi is marketing well, and is offering great finance schemes and discounts which is why they are selling so well. They have also understood what the average Indian wants.
Manufacturing. They're assembling already.

http://www.autogadget46.com/2013/07/...ng-in.html?m=1

http://www.carfuel.in/audi-to-start-...uring-in-india

It'll be a complete game changer for the whole industry once they do.
Old 8th August 2013, 22:53   #109
BANNED

Quote:

Manufacturing. They're assembling already.

http://www.autogadget46.com/2013/07/...ng-in.html?m=1

http://www.carfuel.in/audi-to-start-...uring-in-india

It'll be a complete game changer for the whole industry once they do.
Exactly!

If they can increase on the localization levels without compromising on quality and reliability then it will definitely be a game changer for the industry and that sector. The overall cost of manufacturing will come down.

Anurag
Old 9th August 2013, 07:39   #110
BANNED

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/187176...ptember-3-2013

Just found this piece of news posting here for the benefit of all. Hope the process ate kept competitive.

Eagerly waiting for this car and the test drive report.

Quote:
The luxury carmaker has made it official that it will launch the 1-Series in India on September 3, 2013. The 1-Seires will be the smallest and the least expensive BMW when it goes on sale. The car will be available in both petrol and diesel engines.

BMW India is likely to offer the 1-Series with a 1.6-litre petrol and a 2-litre diesel engine.The petrol variant will be the 118i and the 118d will be the diesel variant. The latter will use the same 2-litre diesel engine as the X1 however; it will come with a different state of tune. Both the engine will be paired with an 8-speed automatic gearbox which will send power to the rear wheels. ***

Unlike the Mercedes Benz A-Class which is a front-wheel drive vehicle, the 1-Series with its rear-wheel drive configuration and perfect 50:50 weight distribution, promises to offer a much more rewarding experience on the road.The 1-Seires will be imported via CKD route and then assembled at BMW's Chennai facility. It is expected to carry a base price of around Rs 21 lakh, meaning it will be competing with the A-Class head-on.
Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th August 2013 at 07:42.
Old 9th August 2013, 07:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Exactly!

If they can increase on the localization levels without compromising on quality and reliability then it will definitely be a game changer for the industry and that sector. The overall cost of manufacturing will come down.

Anurag
Yes. A game changer in more than one way. Unlike BMW and Mercedes, Audi has the option of using the existing VW facilities.

1. The cost of repair will come down significantly. This will be a huge plus
2. They will be able to introduce models to compete in the lower 18-25L bracket.
3. I don't think they will reduce prices more than 3-5 % but it will lead to higher profits.

It will also anull the wait for the European FTA. That stands as a major deterrent for Europeans to invest in india. If the FTA goes thru, the investments made here will lead to little gains.

In any case. Nothing but good news for Indian customers
Old 9th August 2013, 09:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hope they do launch it, but for similar reasons of Merc not launching the A220cdi, I have a feeling the 120d may take a while. I hope I am proven wrong.

Sounds like nonsense to me man. Because if the 118d is already going to be a CKD, and the 20d engines are already assembled and used here in a few cars then why would the 120d be a CBU? Sounds like this chap doesn't know what he is talking about.

EDIT - Mpower, it is the same engine.

Puzzles me as well. It also irritates me to no end.
For gods sake you have the same dam engine doing duty in your very popular 3 series for ages now and its a tried and tested GOOD unit.
Why in blue heavens would you not want to offer it in the same power/torque rating as the 3 ???? They are forgetting the Indian customer's fascination with the boot. He wants to get the maximum he can for his money. So even if they did offer the 1 with the same power/torque ratings i dont think it would dent 3's sales anywhere significantly !
Offer the 120d at a slight premium and 118d at an attractive price tag ! More variants for customers to choose from and @ 184/380, a GENUINE hot hatch !!
Anyway its all bullshit until they actually act !
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 16:09   #113
BHPian

I found this in Top Gear India Website today - a quick review of 118d.

Link

From what I read, it sounds bit disappointing, though it might be cheaper than A:

"The 1, at least in this form, is not the ultimate driving machine like the previous gen 3-series, or even the current X1. The steering feel doesn’t match, but this hatch can still be quite a corner carver if it needs to be. Ride quality is rather good and so are the brakes."

And this comment comes for the 6-speed manual.

Though, I would wait for the final verdict from T-BHP review and owners on the forum when it comes.
Old 9th August 2013, 17:38   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For gods sake you have the same dam engine doing duty in your very popular 3 series for ages now and its a tried and tested GOOD unit.
Why in blue heavens would you not want to offer it in the same power/torque rating as the 3 ???? They are forgetting the Indian customer's fascination with the boot. He wants to get the maximum he can for his money. So even if they did offer the 1 with the same power/torque ratings i dont think it would dent 3's sales anywhere significantly !]
I think you've got it all wrong.

BMW wants to create a clear and unambiguous distinction between their cheapest car and the cheapest sedan they sell. As you may know, our market is very sensitive and it pays to take baby steps at first.

A current or prospective 320d owner will probably not take very kindly to the fact that the cheapest (hatchback) car in BMW's portfolio has the same engine that propels his sedan. The idea of a hatch having the same power rating as the sedan will put off the average 320d owner.

It isn't too different from what Mercedes is doing with the A.

Forget about the silly 118d and 120d, a remap should sort it out. What you should do is hope and pray that they give us the M135i with a manual transmission. Now that would be swell!
Old 9th August 2013, 18:09   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why in blue heavens would you not want to offer it in the same power/torque rating as the 3 ????

Offer the 120d at a slight premium and 118d at an attractive price tag ! More variants for customers to choose from and @ 184/380, a GENUINE hot hatch !!
Anyway its all bullshit until they actually act !
Its a very common strategy used by all automakers. They want 3 series owner to feel good about paying more for their cars. Both for the boot and the extra power.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th August 2013 at 18:42.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 18:25   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

BMW wants to create a clear and unambiguous distinction between their cheapest car and the cheapest sedan they sell. As you may know, our market is very sensitive and it pays to take baby steps at first.

A current or prospective 320d owner will probably not take very kindly to the fact that the cheapest (hatchback) car in BMW's portfolio has the same engine that propels his sedan. The idea of a hatch having the same power rating as the sedan will put off the average 320d owner.

Forget about the silly 118d and 120d, a remap should sort it out. What you should do is hope and pray that they give us the M135i with a manual transmission. Now that would be swell!
Wouldn't entirely agree.

IMO most Indian buyers don't know and don't care what's under the hood. Positioning is all that matters. These cars are bought as a show of wealth to be driven on congested roads 50% of the time.

The A6 ( audis largest seller) shares its engine with the passat and Q3
The A4 shares its engine with jetta n laura

The 320d, 520d, X3 2.0 share the same engine. Yet 520d is the largest seller.
The 530d and 730d share the same engine.

The list goes on for each and every brand.

They're actually quite shameless in using the same engines across so many models and not making any whiff about it. And the cars continue to sell.
Old 9th August 2013, 19:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Plonking a unit you already have in 2 of your models instead of 1 to save costs with the intent of pleasing maximum people is common sense in my as well any businessman's books. How much sense it makes to you is your problem really.
A 320d owner is just that...he already owns a BMW. The 1 series customer is still a prospective one and there is still a good chance of him swaying towards other brands if some move of yours does not please him. Even if you argue that there would not be many takers for the 120d , selling the 118d with all round practicality at a more attractive price tag would lay to rest that problem.
BMW, Mercedes or whoever for that matter might have their own reasons for detuning but i dont know what is wrong in expecting them to atleast offer the 120d to order. Go ahead,charge a premium.
What you should do is hope and pray that they give us the M135i with a manual transmission - Right......with a running of 20k + per year ,in a city with petrol rates hitting the roof-tops or going right through it rather and where the concept of roads is yet to be introduced...thats what i need , a 300+bhp petrol with manual transmission. You pay for the chauffeur !
RWD+ peaky petrol + manual = Fun. But where inflation is out of bounds and infrastructure is crippling practicality must sadly take a front seat. Dont you agree..

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th August 2013 at 19:16.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 23:40   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wouldn't entirely agree.

The A6 ( audis largest seller) shares its engine with the passat and Q3
The A4 shares its engine with jetta n laura

The 320d, 520d, X3 2.0 share the same engine. Yet 520d is the largest seller.
The 530d and 730d share the same engine..
Sure you've got a point.

But Audi is not going to sell you the A4 with the 3.0TDI from the A6, would they? Or do they? I might be mistaken. They're not going to sell you a Q5 with the Q7's 4.2TDI, are they? BMW wouldn't sell you a 330d, would they? That's my point.

Quote:
Plonking a unit you already have in 2 of your models instead of 1 to save costs with the intent of pleasing maximum people is common sense in my as well any businessman's books. How much sense it makes to you is your problem really.

RWD+ peaky petrol + manual = Fun. But where inflation is out of bounds and infrastructure is crippling practicality must sadly take a front seat. Dont you agree..
I agree to some extent. But BMW have gone and done it. We're getting the 118d and not the 120d, for whatever reason. I see no point making a hue and cry about it. If it's that much of an issue, just get a remap! And the M135i isn't a supercar. I'm sure it can manage our crippled infrastructure just as well as all the other BMWs on the streets. I mean, if they can sell us the M5 and M3, I'm sure the M135i will fit in the niche market quite well.

MPower has sumed it up quite nicely, IMO.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th August 2013 at 23:41.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 09:03   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure you've got a point.

I see no point making a hue and cry about it. If it's that much of an issue, just get a remap!
Its a typical case of waiting forever for some manufacturer to finally have the guts to launch a proper hot hatch and then spoiling it at the very last moment by skimping out on power/torque. Please tell me you wouldnt
Oh & im sure the 135i can be managed with on the roads, but where high running is concerned the fuel tank is a bigger problem than the roads.
Old 10th August 2013, 15:57   #120
BHPian

Got this in my mail today. Its here.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*-image005.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks