Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 16:26   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Why sad ? This will make the perfect mid life makeover 2 years down.
We wont be getting the facelift/ LCI anytime soon and evidently the LCI will be launched later this year or early next year as per the report.

Sad because it will be painful to see the LCI in foreign markets while India selling this same model for atleast 1.5-2 year after its launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Actually quite a right age for the mid-life facelift. The F20 is into this 3rd year of existence. What it means probably will be some heavy discounts (maybe a year later) on the current lot, when the facelift gets to India

Thats how BMW product life cycle is, also looking at the recent 5'er LCI, this too wont be having much of a difference & hence should keep the existing customers away from complaining.

Last edited by karan561 : 7th August 2013 at 16:28.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 19:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

BMW 1-Series Update

* BMW 1-Series pre-bookings now open.

* The first 100 customers of the BMW 1-Series hatchback in India, will get a free BMW Service Inclusive (BSI) maintenance package.

Link to News Section

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 7th August 2013 at 19:22. Reason: News Link Added
Old 7th August 2013, 19:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If Audi has created the A3 with a boot for the India market, can Beemer be far behind?
Audi is relatively more proactive compared to BMW when it comes to exploring new market segments. They even have an offering in the B-segment now, the A1.

BMW on the other hand is lost in la-la land persisting with products like the 3-GT and 5-GT that nobody wants.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 20:05   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Sad because it will be painful to see the LCI in foreign markets while India selling this same model for atleast 1.5-2 year after its launch.
Its still gonna be a CKD, so once they run out of kits they will have to get the LCI. And I'm sure they won't be importing 1.5 years of kits. So we will get it maximum 6 months after it is on sale in Europe.

And the 118d is going to be great. Can be taken upto 180 odd bhp with just a tuning box or a remap. Now that's a hot hatch.

EDIT - Oh, and for all those who say BSI ultimate is stopped, it hasn't. Only the name has been changed to service plus or something similar.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th August 2013 at 20:08.
Old 7th August 2013, 21:04   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Audi is relatively more proactive compared to BMW when it comes to exploring new market segments. They even have an offering in the B-segment now, the A1.
True, and Audi has the advantage of VAG’s wide array of platform sharing possibilities. So spinning out a new model in an unexplored segment is relatively easy. In comparison Mercedes and BMW have a long way to go with their MFA and UKL1 platforms respectively.
Old 7th August 2013, 22:26   #96
Senior - BHPian

Its true but Audi themselves are a premium brand and have to be very cautious when using VW's parts so as to not hurt their image.

But, whats stopping BMW from doing a sedan version of the 1-er for Asian markets ? In the 90s the E30 3-series sedan was about the same size!
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:15   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its true but Audi themselves are a premium brand and have to be very cautious when using VW's parts so as to not hurt their image.

But, whats stopping BMW from doing a sedan version of the 1-er for Asian markets ? In the 90s the E30 3-series sedan was about the same size!
As you mentioned, AUDI is way more proactive. They're also the first ones to start manufacturing in india.

BMW is the most conservative at launching new models or doing any kind of experimentation.

The only thing that drives them is competition. So as soon as Mercedes launches the CLA you can expect the launch of the 2 series.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:26   #98
Team-BHP Support

I sincerely hope BMW brings the M135i to our shores, even if they decide to sell them in limited numbers. A turbocharged straight-six mated to a manual 'box that drives the rear wheels is just what an enthusiast would want. And it would be the perfect competitor to the Mercedes A45 AMG.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:28   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And the 118d is going to be great. Can be taken upto 180 odd bhp with just a tuning box or a remap. Now that's a hot hatch.
Why remap ? When you can get the 120d, As per ACI report 120d launch will follow

Quote:
The only thing that drives them is competition. So as soon as Mercedes launches the CLA you can expect the launch of the 2 series.
CLA was slated to launch by year end, but dont see that happening, so hopefully early next year will be launched in India.

Also note 2 series is not competition for CLA (As 2'er is only a 2 door coupe now & hasn't been launched globally yet), but the 2 GranCoupe (pitted against CLA) is only a render now and no prototype has been spotted of the same yet.

You can read more about the 2 series here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3095226

Last edited by karan561 : 8th August 2013 at 11:30.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:31   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW is the most conservative at launching new models or doing any kind of experimentation.
Actually not true. Barring the 1-series, almost all the BMW models have got into India without much delay. The A3 has been around for ages, and the A1 has been around for a couple of years, but never got into India. In fact, Audi will be the last of the three, when it comes to small luxury segment in India (after Mercedes and BMW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem
I doubt if the 2-series can cover the CLA. The range is supposed to be of small coupe models based on the 1-series, and as I mentioned earlier a 4-door 2-series Gran Coupe (if made into production) will be more of a niche product than the likes of mainstream A3 sedan or CLA.

For all practical purpose, the 1-series is good enough to tackle the A-Class and CLA. The Mercs maybe stunning to look at, but quite poor in practicality and space management (compared to the A3 and 1-series). As MPower mentioned, the 1-series is actually close to the size of previous 3-series models, and I believe they are working on a 1-series sedan for selected markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I sincerely hope BMW brings the M135i to our shores, even if they decide to sell them in limited numbers. A turbocharged straight-six mated to a manual 'box that drives the rear wheels is just what an enthusiast would want. And it would be the perfect competitor to the Mercedes A45 AMG.
Indeed! For now, check these two video comparisons

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th August 2013 at 11:47. Reason: Quote added
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:48   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Actually not true. Barring the 1-series, almost all the BMW models have got into India without much delay. The A3 has been around for ages, and the A1 has been around for a couple of years, but never got into India. In fact, Audi will be the last of the three, when it comes to small luxury segment in India (after Mercedes and BMW)

I doubt if the 2-series can cover the CLA. The range is supposed to be of small coupe models based on the 1-series, and as I mentioned earlier a 4-door 2-series Gran Coupe will be more of a niche product than the likes of mainstream A3 sedan or CLA.

For all practical purpose, the 1-series is good enough to tackle the A-Class and CLA. The Mercs maybe stunning to look at, but quite poor in practicality and space management (compared to the A3 and 1-series). As MPower mentioned, the 1-series is actually close to the size of previous 3-series models, and I believe they are working on a 1-series sedan for selected markets.
I guess it's a matter of opinion. Audi launched the R8 V8 and V10, S4, S6, RS5 and have been promoting these aggressively. BMW hasn't bothered to create any hooplah around the M5, M6, M3 and the other Ms. Even Mercedes have been heavily advertising the E63 and earlier the C63.

Mercedes and Audi launched the CLS and A7 years earlier. BMW only came up with the gran coupe 7-8 years after the first CLS. in this case they were slow at a global level.

The 1 series may be able to tackle the A. But it doesn't compare to the CLA by any stretch of imagination. At least not in the Indian market. For one, the CLA will be priced closer to 30L in india. I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. When a customer is out in the market for a Mini Cooper, he doesn't come home with a 3 series

In the Indian market, customers will never compare a hatch to a sedan. That's also why there's a good chance that the A3 will outsell the A class. Because the perceived value is obviously much higher when you're getting a sedan for the price of a hatch.

I'm no fan of Audi. But lately I cannot help but appreciate that even if they are just glorified VWs under the hood, they've understood the Indian consumer much Better than competition.

And this will be enhanced further once they become the first ones to start manufacturing in India.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 12:05   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Indeed! For now, check these two video comparisons
I'd watched both these videos the day they were uploaded on YouTube. The Drive (Chris Harris On Cars) video in particular was very enjoyable.

Quote:

The 1 series may be able to tackle the A. But it doesn't compare to the CLA by any stretch of imagination. At least not in the Indian market. For one, the CLA will be priced closer to 30L in india. I think it's an apples and oranges comparison.
In the Indian market, customers will never compare a hatch to a sedan.

I'm no fan of Audi. But lately I cannot help but appreciate that even if they are just glorified VWs under the hood, they've understood the Indian consumer much Better than competition..
I think vbsan was referring to the 1-Series sedan, if and when it arrives. Not the 1-Series hatch. The 1-Series sedan would be the right car from the BMW stable to go against the CLA.

And while I agree that Audi short-change their Indian customers by offering base cars with mediocre engines mated to old CVTs, I'm not sure if we could dismiss them as glorified VWs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th August 2013 at 12:07.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 12:23   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I think vbsan was referring to the 1-Series sedan, if and when it arrives. Not the 1-Series hatch. The 1-Series sedan would be the right car from the BMW stable to go against the CLA.
I think theres a bit of a confusion here the ideal competitor to the CLA is not the 1 series sedan but the 2 series GranCoupe, uploading a couple of renders of the 2 GC from the 2'er thread;

BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*-bmw2seriesgrancoupe.jpg

BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*-bmw2seriesgrancoupe.jpg

BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*-flbmw01sm.jpg

In fact Merc CLA forums have a separate thread running of CLA vs 2 series GC;

Mercedes CLA Forum

Last edited by karan561 : 8th August 2013 at 12:26.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 16:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Just called up and inquired about the possibilities of the 120d arriving here from a friend working with BMW.
Even they aren't sure as yet if the 120d will make it here but might know soon now. Even if it does come here though, it will be a CBU so pricing could be distinctively above the top spec 118d.
143hp/320nm though healthy are specs identical to the Skoda Laura and that has a DSG which is as good as auto-trannys get. For someone with the Skoda Laura as a daily drive ,the 120d with 184ps/380nm would make for a much more exciting proposition than the 118d.
Should be an absolute hoot to drive but those looks will take some serious getting used to !
Old 8th August 2013, 16:23   #105
BHPian

A bit but i prefer the old 1 series coupe to the 2 series grancoupe. The old 1 series is more lean mean, while the 2 series looks bulky & bloated.

Last edited by rxpaul : 8th August 2013 at 16:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks