Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 08:18   #61
BHPian

Re: July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

The Nano story continues to be enigmatic. Even though it has sold more than 2000 numbers, one would believe that at a time when there is recession in the economy and the market itself is not doing too well, the Nano should have been selling more given the fact that as a city car there is nothing out there which can be called competition.

I have had a Nano for two and half years and have had nothing to complain about whatsoever. Tata's attempts at selling the car are at best half hearted and therefore the numbers are small. If you add to this the fact that Tata dealers are the least committed to selling the brand's cars, it is unsurprising to see that Tata is doing so badly. I have read many comments in this forum that Tata should change the names of their cars to better sales, but I do not agree with this because the poor performance has little do with the nomenclature of models but with indifferent promotion and a completely rubbish sales network.

One only has to go to a Maruti dealer and see how they push the cars and then go to a Tata dealership where the dealers seem to think that the customer is interfering with their private time. Tata needs to sack a great percentage of its dealers and appoint new ones. They need to be very aggressive with the Nano especially and I am sure there will be a big improvement.
Old 5th August 2013, 08:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

If Ford churns out more EcoSports, it can soon be in 4th place, beating the likes of Tata, Honda and Toyota.

How is Fabia still on that chart? I thought Skoda took it out of production. In the Fuel story, the petrol variants are slowly inching closer towards the Diesel siblings.

I think Maruti will be able to ship more Alto 800s if they work on the aesthetics to the front. The car literally looks sad from the front. The K10 looks so much more attractive and desirable between the two.

Keeping a close tab on the numbers done by the Duster. Hope they bring in a facelift with much better interior quality to fight the EcoSport.

Last edited by deetjohn : 5th August 2013 at 08:46. Reason: typo.
Old 5th August 2013, 08:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I think Maruti will be able to ship more Alto 800s if they work on the aesthetics to the front. The car literally looks sad from the front. The K10 looks so much more attractive and desirable between the two.

Couldn't agree more on this one! Went car shopping for Dad and the toss-up was between the Alto 800 and the Alto K10. He hated the front of the 800. Also the K10 will be a better drive courtesy the 1000 cc K-series engine. No surprise we booked the K10.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:34   #64
BHPian

For once, the Thar has beaten up the Safari and Storme combined. With almost 500-700 jeeps churned out every month, I do see a big shift in the way the people are responding to the Thar inspite of the severe warnings given by the folks contributing to the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-buy-thar.html thread.

Not that both these cars are in the same segment, but I happen to own both so I'm usually interested in how they're doing. Its surprising that a bare bones jeep has more takers than a super comfy SUV, not sure if this is a trend of changing times.

BD Sir will be laughing and crying at the same time since now he's on the other side of the fence. Tata desperately needs to come up with something new that will set the charts on fire!
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 10:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

The Punto seems to be doing pretty well with the price cuts being brought in. A 100+ units increase every month. Neat.

Also, what's interesting is the i20 is selling almost the exact same numbers for the Petrol and Diesel variants. Maybe, the sluggish pickup of the petrol isn't really a bother for buyers when they're getting top of the line equipment!

For the first time since a while, I am seeing a major drop in sales of the Santro. Does this mean Hyundai is trying to slowing phase it out?
Old 5th August 2013, 10:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrin View Post
Tata needs a serious partner from Korea,Japan or even US .Co Branding must. Days of buying Indian brand Car for patriotism is over. It is a global warfare out there. Survival of the Fittest.
One other reason for sluggish car sale not reported in detail is impact of limited offtake through the Canteen Stores Departement,for use by Defence Personnel.Now for purchase through CSD approval at Army HQ requried. This is a dampner
Beg to differ, they already have JLR in their kitty, there is absolutly no need to have another partner.

Buying engines from FIAT has also not helped them.

The company needs to churn out new, improved and reliable....that's about it, success will come to them.

Karl ! are you listening please?

Top 10 Positions:

Japan- Alto
Japan -Dezire
Japan -WagonR
Japan -Swift
India -Bolero
Korea -Eon
Korea -i10
Japan -Amaze
Korea -i20
America -Ecosport

5 Japanese products, 3 Korean, 1 American and 1 Indian

Top 20 Positions:

Japan -Innova
Japan -Ertiga
India -Indica
Japan -Omni
Korea -Verna
Japan -Eeco
India -Scorpio
Japan -Duster
Korea -Santro
Japan -Etios

6 Japanese products, 2 Korean, and 2 Indian

Tatas have only 1 product and that too in top 20 and not top 10, while Mahindra has 1 in top 10 and second 1 in the top 20.

There should be a limit to their downfall or after breaking their showroom / sales agreement with FIAT, they just want to want to compete with them in the market share / position? Well not too distant I would say if they don't put their acts together.

Last edited by i74js : 5th August 2013 at 10:40. Reason: More info
Old 5th August 2013, 10:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
For once, the Thar has beaten up the Safari and Storme combined. With almost 500-700 jeeps churned out every month, I do see a big shift in the way the people are responding to the Thar inspite of the severe warnings given by the folks contributing to the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-buy-thar.html thread.

Not that both these cars are in the same segment, but I happen to own both so I'm usually interested in how they're doing. Its surprising that a bare bones jeep has more takers than a super comfy SUV, not sure if this is a trend of changing times.

BD Sir will be laughing and crying at the same time since now he's on the other side of the fence. Tata desperately needs to come up with something new that will set the charts on fire!
This has been discussed in previous sales thread also. Thar numbers includes DI 4x2 also. DI 4x2 caters to unique segment (Utility + Potholes with some road). I think that thar bashing thread is for CRDe. CRDe is not selling 500+. I may stand corrected here.

P.S: Above reply does not indicate that I'm happy DI 4x2 owner
Old 5th August 2013, 10:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
This has been discussed in previous sales thread also. Thar numbers includes DI 4x2 also. DI 4x2 caters to unique segment (Utility + Potholes with some road). I think that thar bashing thread is for CRDe. CRDe is not selling 500+. I may stand corrected here.

P.S: Above reply does not indicate that I'm happy DI 4x2 owner
Thanks for clarifying, I hadn't thought of that. But nevertheless, the Bangalore roads are seeing more thars than before so there may still be some directional change in the CRDe sales I feel.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 10:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that the linea continues an upward trend , hopefully this is because of the T-Jet numbers.

GM back to sliding downwards , they have dropped in total sales by approximately 25% since May and all these problems which they are going through are not helping either

Good to see numbers for the Fabia neverthless.

Ecosport starts with a bang but maybe still a bit less given all the hype , lets see how she progresses.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I hadn't thought of that. But nevertheless, the Bangalore roads are seeing more thars than before so there may still be some directional change in the CRDe sales I feel.
Yes. I agree. CRDe spotting on road has been increased. By the way Rohit Shetty has filmed Thar very nicely in Chennai Express. In some scenes Vehicle even takes more exposure then actors.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.png  

Old 5th August 2013, 10:59   #71
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 11:03   #72
BHPian

Did we notice that the Swift nosedived from a healthy 17k odd units to a little over not-so-healthy 10k units M-O-M? What could possibly be the reason for such a fall?
Old 5th August 2013, 11:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Good to see that the linea continues an upward trend , hopefully this is because of the T-Jet numbers.
Yes, Linea nos are improving.
But I am surprised it's not T-Jet effect. Only 35 Petrol Lineas are sold in July. Refer petrol-diesel split on first page.

Last edited by S.MJet : 5th August 2013 at 11:43.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks , missed that one. Equally surprised as well then because there are enough units being sold for the T-Jet , thats the feedback i am getting from the Delhi dealerships and we have a few members on the forum itself who have booked their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Yes, Linea nos are improving.
But I am surprised it is not T-Jet effect. Only 35 Petrol Lineas are sold in July. Refer petrol-diesel split on first page.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:54   #75
BHPian

Any idea why the Ritz is not selling? In my view it's a competent, VFM product. In fact it's just a tall boy sibbling of the Swift. Under the skin everything remains same.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks