Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 11:20   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

I was waiting to get my hands on the newly launched Grand i10 ! Finally got a chance yesterday. To start with, I really liked the stance, the presence of car. All modern Hyundai are smart, this looks the most matured. The headlamps are contemporary, the grill is the focal point, the face looks similar to Eon, but without the quirkiness. Move to the side and here you will notice, that the Grand has grown bigger compared to i10. The shoulder line looks smart, there is no unnecessary fussiness. Move to the back, this is best designed part, it looks so fresh ! All these years, right from the first gen santro (barring Xing) it felt like the designer forgot to design the rear, but this time the slab like rear is gone.

Move inside and you will be greeted with smart airy cabin. The use of colors is good, and as always, the quality of materials is A grade for its class. Front seats are fairly comfortable and adequate in size. They are certainly not sofa-like as in Swift, but still adequate in terms of bolstering. Move to the rear bench and you are greeted with plenty of legroom. As in every Hyundai, thigh support is on lower side, still better than the likes of Verna. Where Grand will score over its nemesis is the use of space, the roomy and airy cabin.That's its selling point.
Crank up the engine, and there is the diesel clatter! The 3-pot is smooth, but not the most refined, when you compare it with similarly priced four cylindered. On the move its not sprightly, there is a bit of turbo lag say up to 1500 rpm. Its not as easy to drive as Figo, neither it goes berserk like Swift, its more like middle of the road.

What has improved is the ride and handling department! The mushy feeling in the rear bench is gone. There is more feel to the steering, it weighs up as speed builds up, a huge improvement over last generation.
Overall its a really good product, its got a nice feel to it. Yes it misses out on a few points, torque figures should have been a little bit more, the headlamps should have had a more character. But these certainly are not deal breakers, one can live with it. Thumbs up to Hyundai!
fz_rider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 11:52   #317
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
165 mm, as mentioned in quotation.
Thank you for answering the GC question. 165mm is decent, even good, though 175mm would have been excellent, considering the extended wheelbase of the Grand i10.

The current i10 with 165mm GC, a wheelbase of 2385mm and a very soft rear suspension does not scrape on speed breakers, except the truly large ones and that too, only when the rear is loaded with 2 passengers or more.

The Grand i10 with the same 165mm GC and a longer wheelbase of 2425mm, but with a firm-ish rear suspension, should perform similarly when it comes to speed breakers.

A tyre upsize from 165/65R14 to 185/60R14 should increase the GC by ~4mm. I think 185/60R14 would be the ideal upsize for the Grand i10, as long as there is no fouling with the wheel arches (175/60R14 would decrease the GC by ~2mm).

I hope they have provided a sump guard. It's a very useful feature for nasty Indian roads with loose stones and what not.

Last edited by RSR : 12th September 2013 at 12:09.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:18   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Thank you for answering the GC question. 165mm is decent, even good, though 175mm would have been excellent, considering the extended wheelbase of the Grand i10.
170mm GC is for SUVs as per the Govt of India.

175mm on a car like i10 could lead to a lot of body roll.

Quote:
A tyre upgrade from 165/65R14 to 185/60R14 should increase the GC by ~4mm. I think 185/60R14 would be the ideal upsize for the Grand i10, as long as there is no fouling with the wheel arches.
I think ideal upsize might be 175/60R14 (for better handling) though 185 should also be okay.

Any idea if the width of OEM steel wheels are 4.5J or 5J? We'll need at least 5J to fit 185

Last edited by zenren : 12th September 2013 at 12:24.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:23   #319
BHPian

This is OT but I saw a silver coloured two door i20 with pretty loud exhausts a few days back on the Link Road heading towards Borivali in Mumbai. Anyone has any idea about this car?

The i10 Grand does look interesting but I find, not trying to offend anyone here, them boring to drive. I have driven a Santro, Accent and the Verna, all of them have lifeless steering and feel mushy. I hope this changes soon as nothing much is wrong with Hyundai these days.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:06   #320
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I think ideal upsize might be 175/60R14 though 185 should also be okay.
175/60R14 would indeed offer a good balance between ride comfort, handling, grip and rolling resistance (and therefore, fuel efficiency) but I always prefer a GC gain, or at least one that maintains the same GC. Having said that, I agree 175/60R14 is an ideal upsize for those who don't mind the marginal ~2mm GC loss.

Quote:
175mm on a car like i10 could lead to a lot of body roll.
Theoretically yes, but the test drive reports seem to indicate that Hyundai have gone for a firm-ish suspension on the Grand i10. This, along with the decreased height, increased width, increased weight and longer wheelbase of the car (apart from the increased steel:reduced rubber ratio in the overall diameter) should cancel out any excessive roll.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Team-BHP review to find out by how much Hyundai have improved the ride and handling characteristics of the car when compared to the i10.

Quote:
Any idea if the width of OEM steel wheels are 4.5J or 5J? We'll need at least 5J to fit 185
I don't really know, but I'll make an educated guess. Hyundai generally go for the same size of wheels across cars (must be to increase economies of scale). For instance, the Santro has 13" rims of 4" width and the i10 (unfortunately) gets the same size. The higher variants of the Eon also get the same size. Only the (now discontinued) Accent got wider 13" OEM steel rims.

If this is anything to go by, Hyundai may be using wheels of the same size as the i20, which happens to be the only other car with 14" rims in their range (some variants of the discontinued Getz Prime and the non-fluidic Verna did come with 14" rims). The 14" OEM steel rims on the i20 are either 5" or 5.5" in width, not exactly sure.

Last edited by RSR : 12th September 2013 at 13:31.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 21:12   #321
BHPian

Hi All,

I haven't been closely following this thread. But to throw some interest on this car I have found a small sneak peak; rather the first look of the car.

Check this out: (Source: Youtube: PowerDrift)
Old 13th September 2013, 16:36   #322
MCR
BHPian

I took a TD of the Grand i10 Diesel variant this afternoon. The car has zero turbo lag! Also it passed the second gear road hump test quiet well. There were three of us in the car and the AC was running at full speed (read minimum temperature setting). The car is spacious and also the boot is quiet decent in terms of size. The EPS is as usual lifeless!

The only problem is the Asta (O) variant is priced at 7.91 lakhs in Bangalore, which according to me is not real value for money. Heck, you can get an i20 CRDI Sportz variant for around 75K more!

The Sportz variant sans ABS and Airbag (but with Engine start and stop switch) is priced around 7.19 lakhs in Bangalore. Does it mean that button start is more important than ABS and Airbags?

All in all a good car, but overly priced!
Old 13th September 2013, 18:56   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Does it mean that button start is more important than ABS and Airbags?
aam junta thinks so! Hyundai's offerings just reflect the mentality of it's target audience!
9/10 people still think of Airbags + ABS as useless add ons that increase price & service headaches.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:39   #324
BHPian

Is the new Grand i10 a refreshed reincarnation of the old Getz?

I had taken my uncle's Santro for a wash at a car-wash centre owned by a friend (a former Maruti & Hyundai manager) yesterday and he was enquiring about the Grand i10. He owns a Getz 1.1 and wanted to know if the specifications of the Grand i10 were significantly bigger than that of his Getz, for him to consider upgrading his 4-year-old Getz to the Grand i10.

We then went on the internet to pickup specifications of the Getz and Grand i10. We found out the following specifications:

Specs---------------Getz-------Grand i10-------i10
Length
--------------3810--------3765-----------3585
Width---------------1665--------1660-----------1595
Height--------------1515--------1520-----------1550
Wheelbase----------2455--------2425-----------2380
Ground Clearance---145----------165------------165
Boot Space----------290----------255(?)---------225
Fuel Tank-------------45-----------43-------------35

My friend realized that in terms of specifications, the Getz was still a bigger car, albeit a small margin, but what struck us was the Getz and Grand i10 were similar in specifications, as compared to the i10. Both the Getz and the Grand i10 have a spacious cabin and boot.

My friend felt that it did not make much sense for him to sell off his well-maintained Getz for the Grand i10, especially since he would not get much resale for the Getz and in any case, the Getz is still larger than the Grand i10. I advised him to wait for the Grand i10 compact sedan, which is rumoured to arrive in April 2014.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 22:15   #325
BHPian

Took a test drive of the petrol and diesel i10 grand today. Must say it is a very apt car for the city with all the features and handling also seems to be ok or on par with the other hatches that i have driven. Am planning to buy a new petrol hatch and this one ticks all my reqs. for an easy to drive city car with occasional highway drives. Might go for the petrol asta.
Old 14th September 2013, 23:56   #326
BHPian

With 3765 mm length if they have 255 mm boot, the upcoming sedan will surely match or excel Amaze with >/= 400 l boot space and surely have better interiors.

I think the compact sedan space will surely heat up with I10 based sedan, amaze and dzire fighting for the top spot.
Old 15th September 2013, 10:54   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
With 3765 mm length if they have 255 mm boot, the upcoming sedan will surely match or excel Amaze with >/= 400 l boot space and surely have better interiors.

I think the compact sedan space will surely heat up with I10 based sedan, amaze and dzire fighting for the top spot.
If I am not mistaken, the requirement is less than 4 metres in length to avail the tax benefit. Hence, the Grand i10 has a maximum of 234 mm for the boot in the proposed compact sedan. That said, the boot space will surely be impressive.
Old 15th September 2013, 13:51   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the top end asta (O) variants have fixed front headrests or the adjustable types???
The top end asta comes with fixed headrests for the front while rear seat gets adjustable. Cant understand the logic but thats how it is.
Old 15th September 2013, 16:45   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post

The top end asta comes with fixed headrests for the front while rear seat gets adjustable. Cant understand the logic but thats how it is.
It's the same way in our i10. Interestingly, the adjustable rear head rests only come in Sportz and above. Don't know if it is same in the Grand i10.
Old 15th September 2013, 17:37   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
Cant understand the logic but thats how it is.
My understanding:

Quote:
The top end asta comes with fixed headrests for the front...
1. Cost cutting
2. "Feature" - sporty integrated head rests

Quote:
...while rear seat gets adjustable.
They don't want a name that their car has poor rearward visibility.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks