Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 01:29   #271
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Checkout how silent the engine is!
Did you check the engine mounts? Are they the simple rubber mounts or the hydraulic ones similar to those used in the refreshed Toyota Etios or the Honda Amaze?

Reason is that with most diesel engines the NVH gets worse with usage, as the mounts get worn out.
Old 6th September 2013, 02:44   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
In the Asta Version, the Airbags and Abs are shown as optional. then how does it make Asta Version any different than the Sports version. Also any idea what would be the cost of Optional Airbags and ABS.

I am keen on upgrading from my i10 and have quite liked the Grand. Might go for test drive asap.
I test drove the Sportz Petrol on Tuesday, most of the differences are cosmetic.

In Sportz, you do not have the Airbags and Abs even as an optional addon feature whereas in Asta you can get Abs and Airbags by paying extra and I'm assuming that this would be an additional 25 - 30K but will confirm exact amount tomorrow or day after as I'm most likely booking the Asta Petrol with ABS and Airbags. Apart from this, the other features which the Sportz does not have are given below.

Sportz - No Rear Defogger, No rear spoiler, No Alloys, Steering is not leather strapped, No bluetooth, No Steering buttons/controls, No rear wiper, Rear seat headrests are not adjustable and driver seat height cannot be adjusted. The On road price difference between Sportz Petrol and Asta Petrol is Rs. 63000 in Delhi whereas price difference between Sportz Diesel and Asta Diesel is Rs. 87,800. I think except for the Rear wiper and Alloys, the rest of the things not available in Sportz really don't matter, that is my personal opinion.

I initally booked a Nissan Micra Active XV Safety Turquoise Blue on July 18th and cancelled it last week as they have absolutely no clue about when deliveries will start. Their responses were horrendous and eventually said they will check on possibility of delivering some other colour but I was so tired that I didn't want to deal with them anymore. I still think the ACTIVE Micra was priced right, had better looks and had all features that are there in i10 Grand at a price almost 70 to 80k lower as my onroad was Rs. 525000It was very good to drive as well when I did the TD. If only they had better customer service or at least gave some sort of update on deliveries, I would have waited. Unfortunately, they were not sure if deliveries would start even in October.
Old 6th September 2013, 07:29   #273
Team-BHP Support

pgsagar and eq24, it is an unrelated discussion if a diesel AT is going to be successful or not in India here.
Can I please request both of you to stick to the topic please?
Old 6th September 2013, 08:03   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavin View Post
I initally booked a Nissan Micra Active XV Safety Turquoise Blue on July 18th and cancelled it last week as they have absolutely no clue about when deliveries will start. Their responses were horrendous and eventually said they will check on possibility of delivering some other colour but I was so tired that I didn't want to deal with them anymore. I still think the ACTIVE Micra was priced right, had better looks and had all features that are there in i10 Grand at a price almost 70 to 80k lower as my onroad was Rs. 525000It was very good to drive as well when I did the TD. If only they had better customer service or at least gave some sort of update on deliveries, I would have waited. Unfortunately, they were not sure if deliveries would start even in October.
Nissan Micra Active XV Safety is really a VFM package. Its length is bigger than i10 Grand, Figo, Vista & Liva. But it has lower BHP i.e. 67 @ 5000 with Max Torque of 160 @ 1500 with 3 Cylinder Engine. ARAI Mileage kmpl for this car is 19.49.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:30   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Visually, it certainly shakes less than its 3-pot rival...the Beat diesel. Cabin noise however is a function of the insulation etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Did you check the engine mounts? Are they the simple rubber mounts or the hydraulic ones similar to those used in the refreshed Toyota Etios or the Honda Amaze?

Reason is that with most diesel engines the NVH gets worse with usage, as the mounts get worn out.
No, I didnt. Lot of space of bigger engine

Check out what happens when its revv'd.
  • Its not a racer, its a humble engine.
  • It pulls neat without struggle with 4 people + AC
  • Its loaded with accessories.
  • Sits 5 ok which I guess would be its selling point
  • Rear AC/blower.
  • Built quality, stuff used etc is very good.
Will post video with people on board later.

Last edited by jkdas : 6th September 2013 at 09:33.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 11:10   #276
Senior - BHPian

Rear space; front sit set for 5'8" guy initially.
Then I get in and adjust seat for my preference. Check out the space (shoulder) when they sit after that too. ( Hear the comments by passengers; its in malayalam/english though)

Remote,Dash, ICE etc.

i10 Grand CRDi drives away; check for engine noise.
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 12:39   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Nissan Micra Active XV Safety is really a VFM package. Its length is bigger than i10 Grand, Figo, Vista & Liva. But it has lower BHP i.e. 67 @ 5000 with Max Torque of 160 @ 1500 with 3 Cylinder Engine. ARAI Mileage kmpl for this car is 19.49.
Yes, I agree that the Nissan is absolutely VFM considering I wanted to keep the expense for a new car below 6. To add to my confusion now, I was on the way to the Hyundai dealership near my house to book the Grand i10 and as if the Nissan dealership guys were watching me, received a call from them a minute before I reached there. They now confirmed that Nissan has allotted a XV Safety Turquoise blue to their dealership and they would even have the Engine # and Chassis # today evening. This is exactly 6 days after I cancelled the booking. Since the car has to ship from Chennai and then go through registration which would take 3 or 4 business days, delivery would take about 3 weeks from today is my guess. Even if I book the Grand, Hyundai Dealership guys said they cannot confirm delivery yet but would approximately be 4 to 6 weeks. Wondering if I should go with Nissan which is a lakh lesser from my pocket but very limited dealerships and lot of horror stories regarding ASS or go with Hyundai which is a lakh more but the dealership is like 5 minutes away from my house and known for their good ASS. Nissan has a crash sensor in the Active XV S which is not there in Grand i10 Asta, Nissan has better mileage. The lower power / 3 Cylinder that you have mentioned about the Active is something I noticed when I booked but I was not concerned about that factor as the cars average running per day would only be 25 - 30 Kms inside the city and occassional highway trips. I'm not concerned about the unavailability of Rear parking sensor or controls in the steering in the Active as these are not deal breakers. My friends tell me that usually Nissan cars do not give any issues at least for the first few years unless I am super unlucky. I'm aware that if incase there is something goes wrong where one of the parts have to be replaced, that might be a struggle as their Oragatam factory in Chennai burnt in May and they are still scrambling for spares.

I think from the above you can see that I'm tending more towards the Active at this point but will wait for these guys to call me back and give the Engine # / Chassis # / Delivery date. My folks just now told me that I should not have gone today to book a car as it is apparently an inauspicious day . Can't believe they still believe in these things
Old 6th September 2013, 15:15   #278
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI's review of both versions:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-356078,0.aspx

... & comment on Diesel engine:

Quote:
... car also gets an all-new, 1.1-litre, three-cylinder diesel motor (codename: U2) which develops 70bhp. Now diesel engines and three cylinders don't really go well together, as both are inherently prone to vibration, so it's no surprise that the Grand i10 flutters and vibrates softly at idle. This new engine may be essentially Hyundai's 1.4 four-cylinder unit with a cylinder chopped off, but that creamy idle is gone.
Counter-balancing shafts have been used to iron out the inherent imbalance of a three-cylinder configuration, so when you rev the engine it smoothens out a bit. There is a hint of turbo lag, but after 1,500rpm, the motor pulls cleanly and with a good amount of enthusiasm.
Performance feels smooth and linear at best, but you truly miss that strong surge in the mid-range that is so typical of more powerful diesel motors. The top end isn’t strong either, and the engine labours as you approach the 4,000rpm mark, so it's best to upshift early. Refinement on the move, however, is pretty good. At low revs, the engine is never intrusive and it's only when you near the redline that you can really tell it’s a diesel. It must be said that this motor lacks the punch needed to really make the Grand i10 fun to drive, but the new Hyundai does have the right gearing for city driving. The short gearing makes you feel at home in the city and the well-oiled manual gearbox makes shifting up or down the 'box quick and easy.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 6th September 2013 at 15:18.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:16   #279
Senior - BHPian

How does the rear a/c vent help? Can you just switch it off altogether?

I think that is such an unnecessary feature on a car of this size. Robs the middle passenger on back seat precious little leg space.

Wish it was optional.
Old 6th September 2013, 16:34   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Link to ACI's review of both versions:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-356078,0.aspx

... & comment on Diesel engine:
Normally ACI reviews are quite good and accurate but in this article, I was surprised to see the reviewer saying that there are some India specific changes done to this car like the stretched wheelbase and reduced slopping window-line etc. I don't think they can or will be interested in carrying out such changes specific to India. May be that's what he was told from the Hyundai marketing folks.
Old 6th September 2013, 18:00   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Normally ACI reviews are quite good and accurate but in this article, I was surprised to see the reviewer saying that there are some India specific changes done to this car like the stretched wheelbase and reduced slopping window-line etc. I don't think they can or will be interested in carrying out such changes specific to India. May be that's what he was told from the Hyundai marketing folks.
That's true & has been discussed in Indian Cars section (where the thread is now closed) that are some India specific changes in the car to appeal to the family & not just the driver & front passenger. Please go though that thread & I am sure your doubts will be cleared .
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:31   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally ACI reviews are quite good and accurate but in this article, I was surprised to see the reviewer saying that there are some India specific changes done to this car like the stretched wheelbase and reduced slopping window-line etc. I don't think they can or will be interested in carrying out such changes specific to India.
Refer to the attachment link in Anshuman's post quoted below that shows the India specific development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Pictures from Hyundai Grand i10 Launch event-

Attachment 1133898
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:46   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The changes indeed have been made specifically for Indian car market. The wheelbase of Indian version is 100mm longer than the version of the car that will be sold in Europe and other places, the aim was to liberate more space for the rear seat.

Similarly, Hyundai India claims the rear windows have been kept larger than the Euro version to give it less claustrophobic feel at rear. The Rear A/C vents are also India specific development.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2013 at 00:13. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 19:18   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The changes indeed have been made specifically for Indian car market. The wheelbase of Indian version is 100mm longer than the version of the car that will be sold in Europe and other places, the aim was to liberate more space for the rear seat.

Similarly, Hyundai India claims the rear windows have been kept larger than the Euro version or give it less claustrophobic feel at rear. The Rear A/C vents are also India specific development.
That is really interesting to know. I can understand the wheelbase part but other changes significant. We will soon know if they are different from the Euro version.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:45   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wheelbase of Indian version is 100mm longer than the version of the car that will be sold in Europe and other places, the aim was to liberate more space for the rear seat.

Similarly, Hyundai India claims the rear windows have been kept larger than the Euro version or give it less claustrophobic feel at rear. The Rear A/C vents are also India specific development.
Quote:
That is really interesting to know. I can understand the wheelbase part but other changes significant. We will soon know if they are different from the Euro version.
All 3 changes are actually linked and is what I would call intelligent engineering. I like the way Hyundai advertised everything separately - that's good marketing

The 100mm increase in wheelbase was done to increase the rear legroom, which means the rear door and window would be longer than Euro spec. Rear AC vents are also possible only because of the increased rear legroom, else the 5th passenger would not be able to sit properly.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks