Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 17:30   #136
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
With regards to a small comparo between hyundai i10 grand diesel and figo, i decided to put down a few points from my mind.

Engine:

8V SOHC - FGT turbo on the figo vs (i am assuming the 3 cyl is the same diesel engine without one cylinder) 16V DOHC 3 Cyl - FGT Turbo on the i10 grand.

+NVH on the figo should be better theoritically since it has 4 cylinders and any sort of vibration will be better controlled.

Personal opinion: However, as an owner, i do have a feeling that the figo's diesel sounds like a tractor.

Pickup up and driveability:

I think this will be going to the figo as well but i'll just reserve my opinions since i haven't driven the i10.

Personal opinion: My figo feels very wierd off the line and the pickup is definitely good compared to swift and punto and that is the reason i feel the figo might be equal or maybe better the i10 with regards to tractability and driveability.

Interiors:

This is a no-brainer: i10 grand wins by default since i find the interiors of the figo feel quite a bit plain to my likes, and one look at the Entertainment and AC control panel makes me wish that the figo came with atleast the fiesta's dash. Are you listening ford?

Comfort:

I have had no issues with the figo, pretty good for me but i feel the height adjustment feels fake; the reason being that there seems to be some sort of item that seems to rise giving you a feeling that your bum is being lifted and contrary to that belief, you aren't going anywhere. The i10 maybe better than the figo here but maybe i am being a bit biased toward the i10.

Service:

I am not talking about this since service seems to be applying toward how an individual is at the service centre. So i am not commenting about it.

Overall, i definitely feel the i10 grand has what it takes to challenge the likes of ford's hatch.
Hi Arch-Angel

I also own a Figo and my views are:
Agree with you with noise levels initially in the Figo is like the tractor; though it smoothens as it warms up.
Pick-up - On 2nd gear with the a/c on and 4 passengers on board at around 1000-1500 rpm (after crossing the famous Bangalore humps) the car feels dead. Until the needle slowly moves to the 1750 mark, I need to do this I certainly felt better driveability in the Swift. With a lighter car, the Grand i10 may have a better driveability if the tuning is done well.
Figo interiors - Why do they have to stick to the European controls for an Indian car? The dash may not look good but feels solid. The boot opener on the dash - great idea.
Comfort - I agree with you - decent on comfort and ride. But the steering is off-center more to my right and the ground clearance is absolute ridiculous, especially with passengers on board.
Cornering - I love the Figo for its abilities to corner.
Not a great fan of the steering wheel, the Fabia has a wonderful feel to it IMO.
Suspension - excellent!
harishF1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 18:31   #137
BHPian

Quote:
With regards to a small comparo between hyundai i10 grand diesel and figo, i decided to put down a few points from my mind.

Engine:

8V SOHC - FGT turbo on the figo vs (i am assuming the 3 cyl is the same diesel engine without one cylinder) 16V DOHC 3 Cyl - FGT Turbo on the i10 grand.

+NVH on the figo should be better theoritically since it has 4 cylinders and any sort of vibration will be better controlled.

Personal opinion: However, as an owner, i do have a feeling that the figo's diesel sounds like a tractor.
Would like to give you few examples, both the 3-cyl Polo and Beat feel refined and significantly more silent than the Figo from inside. Though the smoothness of the tdci is far better than the harsh 1.2 tdi of polo, but the Beat has a very smooth, quite refined (below 2500rpm) and very low on vibrations engine, which is immensely driveable too. But it does sound like a tractor from outside, especially in the morning.
Point being that it does not matter much how many cylinders a car has, if the manufacturer can put in heavy insulation and dampening, the i10 may easily be better than Figo in NVH department, especially if you go by track record of Hyundai, and the refinement/smoothness of i20 and Verna diesels. Can't say the same about driveability though.
Theoretically a 4-cyl should be better at NVH, but cars like Figo, Micra and Innova use old-skool motors, which are not very refined in terms of noise.
Old 16th August 2013, 18:53   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Personal opinion: My figo feels very wierd off the line and the pickup is definitely good compared to swift and punto and that is the reason i feel the figo might be equal or maybe better the i10 with regards to tractability and driveability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
especially if you go by track record of Hyundai, and the refinement/smoothness of i20 and Verna diesels. Can't say the same about driveability though.
Guys, driveability depends on the way turbo has been tuned. Bigger turbo produces more boost but results in more lag. Which is why the 1.4 TDCi and 1.5 DCi engines have less lag compared to the 1.3 multijet. So, let's not compare the VGT engined Verna and i20 as a benchmark for Hyundai driveability.

As pointed out in the report, the car has been tuned driveability. Let's not assume the driveability will be inferior to that of the Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
This car should attack the Ritz and leave i20 to pitch against the Swift in terms of pure pricing against value offered.
New i20 seems to be longer and wider than the current one. Looks like it will be positioned above the Grand i10 sedan and Swift twins.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:17   #139
BHPian

Holy moly!

When I first saw the pics, my first reaction was that Hyundai has not named the car right. It should not be called a grande i10, it should be called as a 'healthy' i10 (*cough*..fat..*cough*).

Jokes apart, if priced right, this will sell decent numbers for sure. It will surely eat into i20's numbers.

Wishing Hyundai all the very best. I believe hyundai is the only manufacturer who can make maruti bend over its knees.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 16th August 2013, 19:26   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Guys, driveability depends on the way turbo has been tuned. Bigger turbo produces more boost but results in more lag. Which is why the 1.4 TDCi and 1.5 DCi engines have less lag compared to the 1.3 multijet. So, let's not compare the VGT engined Verna and i20 as a benchmark for Hyundai driveability.
True, and Hyundai will probably tune it for excellent driveability.
Although I follow the same thesis of turbo-diesels about max power and driveability, OT, but somehow I am amazed by the 1.5 i-Dtec. Offering good power, with excellent driveability, yet frugal (I have noticed diesels with good driveability, generally give you better mileage). Can someone shed light on how Honda achieved it? Some special tech? Or its just pure Honda brilliance?
Old 16th August 2013, 21:33   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A smaller Turbo-Charger is better for low end, as it spools up quickly, larger Turbo-Chargers perform better at high end. A sequential Twin-Turbo setup combines best of both the worlds, utilizing smaller Turbo for low revs and gradually moving on to a larger turbo for peak boost at high revs.

Excessively tall gearing in cars like i20, Verna and Cruze as much culprit as the Turbo lag in terms of drive-ability. Compared to i20 CRDI, Multijet Equipped cars have even more severe turbo lag, but it isn't as prominent due to shorter gearing and tightly stacked ratios.

The VGT in most Turbo Diesels we commonly refer to (MultiJet 90, Verna etc) is tuned to boost the top end whilst retaining similar mid range. For example the Turbo Lag in VGT equipped Punto 90 hp is as bad as FGT equipped Punto 75hp, the only significant difference lies above 3000 rpm where the FGT runs out of boost.

Quote:
As pointed out in the report, the car has been tuned driveability. Let's not assume the driveability will be inferior to that of the Ford.
Ford Figo and Nissan Micra have a stronger low end and smoother engines, but Hyundai has done a great job in isolating the cabin from the clatter.

The real bad news for enthusiasts is- the Grand i10 CRDi is not an involving car to drive, not in terms of dynamics and neither when we talk about performance. It sure will keep a practical person happy but it does not have much for us enthusiasts.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th August 2013 at 22:55.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 22:18   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, driveability depends on the way turbo has been tuned. Bigger turbo produces more boost but results in more lag. Which is why the 1.4 TDCi and 1.5 DCi engines have less lag compared to the 1.3 multijet.
i totally agree with you on all points and the reason i said that the low end response may be good is because i somehow feel the missing cylinder will make its mark felt, remember you have three cylinders pulsing out an exhaust cycle and only once it reaches a set rpm will it begin boosting and as anshuman says, a small turbo = quick spool but flat top end, big turbo= no low end torque but a good pull from the higher rpm ranges since you have a good level of exhaust gas pressure. as far as noise is concerned, i feel the hyundai may be better since it uses newer tech, however i still have my apprehensions regarding the damping and hence said that the loss of one cylnder may affect nvh. the points were all my assumptions since i have some facts in hand to make them and they may or may not be right.

if you do look at my earlier post i have listed that the 3 cyl engine in the i10g has an fgt, so it will definitely be focussed on driveability.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 16th August 2013 at 22:19.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 18:31   #143
BHPian

Posted here as per mod's request
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-image4138962511.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-image714080191.jpg  

abishek2222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:38   #144
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official On Road Price

I just got the On-Road price details from a Hyundai dealer for the I10 Grand

I10 Grand Sportz-Rs.683219
I10 Grand ASTA-Rs.721952
I10 Grand ASTA (O)-Rs.755495

It seems the delivery could also be as early as possible for a booking price of Rs.10000.

A small comparo here with the I20 Diesel versions
I20 Era 1.4 CRDI-Rs.6,86,474 (Bang in the I10 Grand ASTA (O) price point)
I20 Magna (O) 1.4 CRDI-Rs.7,48,687
I20 Sportz 1.4 CRDI-Rs.8,13,418

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2013 at 11:26. Reason: As requested
JEHU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
I10 Grand ASTA-Rs.721952

It seems the delivery could also be as early as possible for a booking price of Rs.10000.

A small comparo here with the I20 Diesel versions
I20 Era 1.4 CRDI-Rs.6,86,474 (Bang in the I10 Grand ASTA (O) price point)
I20 Magna (O) 1.4 CRDI-Rs.7,48,687
Thank You @JEHU

Are you sure these are going to be the actual pricing? There is difference of few thousands only between the two diesel (I presume you have taken the quotes of diesel variants) engines & for this small difference, why would one go for i10 Grand... i20 is much better option, in terms of engine size & physical size.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2013 at 11:26. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Thank You @JEHU

Are you sure these are going to be the actual pricing? There is difference of few thousands only between the two diesel (I presume you have taken the quotes of diesel variants) engines & for this small difference, why would one go for i10 Grand... i20 is much better option, in terms of engine size & physical size.
Yes CARDEEP; I have taken the diesel variants of both I10 Grand and I20 for the comparison and I was thinking much in your lines. One gets a bigger car which falls in a class thats higher with greater power specs for a miniscule premium if the choice rests on I20
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:31   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Yes CARDEEP; I have taken the diesel variants of both I10 Grand and I20 for the comparison and I was thinking much in your lines. One gets a bigger car which falls in a class thats higher with greater power specs for a miniscule premium if the choice rests on I20
Sorry but I see a price difference of 1.3 lakhs between similar variants of i10 and i20. Am I missing something?

I presume both prices are for diesel versions.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:05   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Sorry but I see a price difference of 1.3 lakhs between similar variants of i10 and i20. Am I missing something?

I presume both prices are for diesel versions.
@ Gupta. I had quoted the versions which overlap and being at a higher class, I20 sure has to be priced higher as it does. Here the I20 Sportz 1.4 CRDI does not have rear AC vents that the smaller I10 Grand has in its earlier versions too. The 1.2L petrol engines are the same in I10, I10 Grand and I20 but the price differences are more pronounced there in the petrol versions. You pay for the dimensions and body wise specifications than for the engine power.

Since the nomenclature sticks around I10, Hyundai would have carefully chosen the name so that the new sibling wouldn't cannibalize the I20 which is selling in consistent numbers for the automaker.Yet the comparison is drawn more in terms of I20 than with the name sake I10 for this new car and Hyundai cant do much about it

Since Hyundai has too many offerings in narrow slots, pricing overlaps are bound to happen and one of the siblings might loose ground in this sibling price war.
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:33   #149
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I10 Grand ASTA-Rs.721952
Thank you for the OTR price leak, JEHU! I think Chennai prices should be almost the same.

Now the question - do the trim levels/variants of the Grand i10 correspond to those of the i20 or the i10, at least in terms of safety equipment? As you know, the i10 Sportz (O) only has 1 airbag, whereas the i20 Sportz has 1 airbag and ABS. The safety levels of Asta are the same (2 airbags and ABS). The i10 Asta (O) available in automatic only, gets only 2 airbags and ABS, while the i20 gets 6 airbags and ABS.

I hope the equipment levels correspond to the i20, at least in terms of safety. If yes, then the Grand i10 (Petrol) would be the least expensive car in India with 6 airbags. That is something Hyundai can be genuinely proud of, considering that the i20 Asta (O) currently holds that title!

By the way, any idea about the price of the automatic variant(s)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2013 at 11:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:46   #150
BHPian

I would like the following information on i10 grand automatic. I don't see it clearly specified in any page.
- mileage figures
- safety features
- other features

Price is not an issue for me as long as I get the features I want. If anybody has detailed information on the available variants and the feature set, please post here. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks