Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 12:04   #46
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Preview & Drive

Don't understand why does Hyundai again and again create smaller windows at the rear on its cars! It started with i10 moving onto Eon and now with this new model! It creates a very sick feeling inside and I just hate it!

Last edited by vinair : 7th August 2013 at 12:06.
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 12:17   #47
BHPian

Great review by the way, do you have any clues to the pricing?

I feel the GRAND pricing has to be spot on just 30-50k over each model of i10 as it stands, otherwise this will just not sell:
  1. Any more expensive, it will mean a buyer walking in to the showroom would either make peace with the lack of a little rear leg room and some toys, etc. and walk out with a good deal on the i10
  2. or, would stretch some more to a car with some other manufacturer or i20 (if the gap between the GRAND and i20 should be less than 1lac on each model).
  3. If it is just in the range of around 50k (generally the range between model variants), this would work on the buyer psyche to stretch to get the GRAND goodies
However, regardless the pricing (provided it is not stupid!) some people will take it for the New Car Attraction reason and of course being the Diesel option.

So I feel that Hyundai has to come trumps with the pricing, to move it off the shelves in the long run.

OT, the rear looks almost like the old Toyota Yaris, doesn't it?
Old 7th August 2013, 12:40   #48
BHPian

Wow.Nice Thread.The pricing should be interesting.Guess Hyundai are doing a Maruti with the i10 Grand.
Old 7th August 2013, 13:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have only one question to ask?

Why have HMIL not named it i15 or something else because many of us feel that naming of Indica and Indigo with so many variants creates confusion and also affects the 'uniqueness or premium-ness' to some.

If they plan to launch compact sedan, diesel variants, differently designed car,etc etc. then it was just perfect if they renamed it too IMHO.

i15 just sounded perfect.
Old 7th August 2013, 13:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I have only one question to ask?

Why have HMIL not named it i15 or something else because many of us feel that naming of Indica and Indigo with so many variants creates confusion and also affects the 'uniqueness or premium-ness' to some.

If they plan to launch compact sedan, diesel variants, differently designed car,etc etc. then it was just perfect if they renamed it too IMHO.

i15 just sounded perfect.
I guess i15 was not possible because globally this is going to be the new i10 and will replace the outgoing model but in India companies don't believe in phasing out but milk the existing model to death!

Santro is still selling in decent numbers. I feel the existing i10 can take the santro's slot and the new i10 grand can take the i10's pricing slot with a little premium, if hyundai decides to pull the plug on santro.

To me the grand or whatever doesn't matter, what matters is if it is a good product, which it certainly looks to be. It will be interesting to watch diesel model's pricing. Maruti is certainly in for stiff competition from both ends of the barrel, ecosport and Amaze on the higher and i10 grand on the lower.

Great times for a new car buyer in India!
rock75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 13:33   #51
BHPian

Just compared the Indian images to the UK images and realised something:

The UK i10 seems to have a much better looking rear-end thanks to the sharply raked rear-window and better parking sensor placement.

With the Indian design of the rear-window, it looks very similar to the current i10.

Also, why in the name of all that is holy does it have roof rails ? It looks so ridiculous. This is a city hatch, not an SUV. It is not there in the UK model.

The UK model also has DRLs near the fog lamps which are also not there in the Indian version.

The alloys on the UK version are also different and it has rear disc brakes.

Also, why does it have the plastic cladding in black? Body colour would look so much better.

I find the UK version much more modern and upmarket compared to what HMIL has done.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:04   #52
BHPian

Great preview there. If the pricing is going to be hovering around the Vista/Figo, Hyundai surely have a winner here.

The market has been waiting for a smaller diesel car other than the Beat.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:14   #53
BHPian

Ford, Maruti and Hyundai seem to be moving towards a similar front end design.
If priced well, Vista and Figo would be in serious trouble.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:21   #54
BHPian

Everything looks fine, except the name. Why cling on to the i10 when you have a near new car and platform. Ask the indica, indigo brothers.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm ... Interesting. Market is getting really crowded now a days. Car looks promising and we need to see the pricing now. It must be higher than i10. So it means its not a very VFM car for sure. More than Swift, others need to worry a lot. Cars like Etios Liva, Sail Uva, Figo, Beat, i10 itself, i20 will get affected more IMHO. Lets see.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking about a strategy Hyundai might take after the new i10 launch - restrict the current i10 to only era/magna with 1.1 irde2, put the new i10 Grand (please don't name it i10 Grand!) with the magna/sportz/asta 1.2 kappa2/1.1 Diesel, and continue with i20 as is.
That way, the price overlap factor is eliminated.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Btw, test drive of a camouflaged car, is that a first in India? What is the thinking behind such a strategy from a manufacturers point of view?
Media is given test-drive of a camo'ed car so as to gather their complaints and suggestions for improvement of the car. This is done so that the problems are ironed out before the actual production vehicle reaches the showrooms. Such drives play an important in providing a better vehicle to customers. This concept is prevalent around the globe but I think this is the first for India (Correct me if I'm wrong!).

Coming back to the i10 grand, the nomenclature seems confusing as it coincides with Tata Sumo Grande or Fiat Punto Grande. Dare I say, but this looks far less dramatic than other Hyundai's, except Santro and Santa Fe. The high-set tail-lamps aren't to my taste while the front looks okay-ish. With the launch of i10 Grand, would the Santro be discontinued? As Far as I remember, Santro was the predecessor of current i10 sold here. So, most probably Santro could be discontinued. As we all know, Price is the make-or-break factor and Hyundai know this very well. So, I expect this to be priced sensibly and the diesel motor with an i10 badge could set the charts on fire.

All-in-all, it seems to be a good product from the stable of Hyundai, ready for a gunfight with it's competition.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 7th August 2013, 14:55   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Super review of a camouflaged vehicle.

This should actually set the charts on fire (thanks to the Diesel).

Though I guess it is finally time to rest the Santro fully. It will be interesting to see which goes first the current i10 or the Santro. This continuation of previous and previous to previous generation is one bad habit Hyundai has picked up from Maruti.

The i10 Grande indeed has very good potential.
Old 7th August 2013, 15:17   #59
BHPian

Excellent review of a camouflaged car. Hyundai's over-enthusiasm in having the car driven by TBHP is understandable. Yet to chose not to reveal the interiors. I wish they had chosen a different name tag for the car. The choice of name i10 Grand is tantamount to the trend followed by the other Korean company (Samsung) while naming its products.

Going by the review, the engine seems to be bang in between the Beat's 1.0L TCDi motor and the 1.3L DDiS/MJD engines in various cars. The buyer now has a range of diesel options in 1.0L-1.5L category. The Swift/Ritz should have some good competition now.

I am not a Hyundai fan-boy but appreciate their efforts in launching new products almost every year with impressive feature lists. My only grouse is that Hyundai did not (and will not) provide the A/T option in the diesel. A diesel hatchback with an A/T box could have been a game changer. Its ironic how every car manufacturer thinks alike!

Last edited by fuel_addict : 7th August 2013 at 15:19.
Old 7th August 2013, 15:32   #60
BHPian

Nice preview but the question to me is where would i20 stand now given the changes in this new i10?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed