Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 12:03   #91
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Preview & Drive

Does any one think that under pressure to add new cars, Hyundai is now going the Maruti way in committing the sin of over-crowding. Santro to i20 all to be sold together makes it 4 cars in B. Only Maruti (considering from Estillo to Swift) has one more in the same group. In some way it is bound to cannibilize your own products. What are the pros?

Also, do you see i10 Grand mapped to Ritz in the Maruti-Hyundai mapping (which Hyundai management seems to follow)?
Old 8th August 2013, 15:24   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomdo View Post
Also, do you see i10 Grand mapped to Ritz in the Maruti-Hyundai mapping (which Hyundai management seems to follow)?
In terms of pricing, I feel it will be i10 1.2 against Ritz, Grand (still can't digest the name) squarely against Swift (Possibly bit cheaper than Swift during launch) and i20 a little above Swift.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 16:27   #93
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I don't understand the need of camouflage when they them self provided clear exterior pics!! Interiors I can understand.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
During the Q&A- Didn't anyone question Hyundai why the exteriors were camouflaged when official pictures were released anyway?
There's a couple of reasons for this:

• The drive was on the 2nd & 3rd August. However the embargo was lifted about 4 days later. If these cars were plying around without camouflage (even if it was at a private location) chances are someone around would have taken a picture and there would be a leak/scoop.

• These were pre-production cars. Things like panel gaps, paint quality, trim might not have been final. From Hyundai's point of view, it's better not to show anything than to showcase the incorrect product.

• Hyundai only sent across the UN-camoflaged pictures 5 minutes before the embargo lifted. This way they kept the exteriors a well guarded secret, and also saturated publications with the coverage in one focused blast, rather than a trickle over a few days.

cya
R

PS - Note that the references in the review to "i10 Grand" have been changed to "Grand i10", as that's the official name of the car.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 16:56   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
+

There's a couple of reasons for this:

• The drive was on the 2nd & 3rd August. However the embargo was lifted about 4 days later. If these cars were plying around without camouflage (even if it was at a private location) chances are someone around would have taken a picture and there would be a leak/scoop.

• These were pre-production cars. Things like panel gaps, paint quality, trim might not have been final. From Hyundai's point of view, it's better not to show anything than to showcase the incorrect product.

• Hyundai only sent across the UN-camoflaged pictures 5 minutes before the embargo lifted. This way they kept the exteriors a well guarded secret, and also saturated publications with the coverage in one focused blast, rather than a trickle over a few days.

cya
R

PS - Note that the references in the review to "i10 Grand" have been changed to "Grand i10", as that's the official name of the car.
Thanks Rehaan. You are right about the media blast effect. I saw the review yesterday when I connected to my TATA Photon which takes me to Yahoo news page as default. There was a first drive review of the Grand i10. I laughed it off! Needless to say- got a shock when I logged into team Bhp today morning.

Although the launch was expected, didn't expect it to be revealed so soon, and with official pics! Good strategy from Hyundai.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th August 2013 at 17:19.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:12   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The petrol version will have the Kappa engine while diesel version will have the 3 cylinder sliced version of the i20 1.4 L, CRDi engine. The new diesel engine with a 1.1 L displacement, generating some 70-75 bhp has made a very late entry into the market.
HMIL has been caught napping.They are surely crowding the B segment with many models and variants like MSIL (they are very late here too), but had the diesel been introduced well on time, it would have been a game changer. When the i 10 was introduced in mid 2008, HMIL had assured about the launch of a small diesel engine version of this car in its publicity exercise. But that has now come too late, after 5 years.

The diesel dazzle is fading and many diesel cars are attracting discounts. The same cars had waiting lists and attracted premiums till about a year back.

More news about the Grand i 10:

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...0/20130807.htm
Old 8th August 2013, 21:51   #96
BHPian

I stumbled across another page with scoop pics. However not posting these here. PM me if you really need to see this car and can't wait for Hyundai to release official pics.
Old 9th August 2013, 01:18   #97
Senior - BHPian

A very reliable source says Sub 4-metre Saloon on i-10 Grand already in the works and at an advanced stage of development.
Vehicle will have the same wheelbase as i-10 Grand but aft of the B-pillars things will change to follow the compact sedan route.
Engines will be shared with the hatch. Because weight increase will be marginal, any nominal drop in performance will be made up by optimising the gear ratios and final drive.
Will be loaded to the gills with equipment.

Will be targetted directly at the AMAZE, DZIRE duo.

Expected on road late 1st quarter/early 2nd quarter FY14-15
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 02:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Nice effort by Hyundai to take on Maruti in terms of numbers or brand recognition by introducing new models, (diesel) to take on no. 1 spot in India.

The rear of the Grand reminds me of new Peugeot 208.
The front of this car, especially in the first three orange color snaps, bear some resemblance to the 'aggressively cute' (new) Kia Picanto. Please do look it up on Google, and Wikimedia Commons library for examples.

Kia is related to Hyundai, perhaps some inspiration is in order?
Old 9th August 2013, 08:28   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has just revealed the new i10, the sub Accent five-door sold in Europe. Is this the 'Grandi10' in India?
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-725591new20generation20i10_1.jpg

The new model is longer (80 millimeters or 3.14 inches) and wider (65 mm or 2.5 in) than the car it replaces, but is 50 mm (2.0 in) lower than the old i10. The result is a purported best-in-class legroom and cargo space, while the lower overall height should lead to a slightly better driving experience. The wheelbase has been stretched an inconsequential five millimeters as well, as part of its move to a new platform.

In Europe it will do battle with A-segment stalwarts like the Fiat Panda, Renault Twingo and Volkswagen Up!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/h...i10/#continued
Old 9th August 2013, 12:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_s80 View Post
The front of this car, especially in the first three orange color snaps, bear some resemblance to the 'aggressively cute' (new) Kia Picanto. Please do look it up on Google, and Wikimedia Commons library for examples.

Kia is related to Hyundai, perhaps some inspiration is in order?
i10 and Picanto, i20 and Rio, Accent and Cerato, Tucson and Sportage, and so on... are the siblings under different the names Hyundai and Kia.
Old 9th August 2013, 13:56   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai has just revealed the new i10, the sub Accent five-door sold in Europe. Is this the 'Grandi10' in India?
So, is it the all new i10 for the international market that's going to be called 'Grand i10' in India?

Hyundai truly is becoming the spiritual successor of Maruti in that case- selling Santro (Atos), i10 (Atos successor) and Grand i10 at the same time! Not to mention the 2nd generation Accent being sold along with the 4th gen!
Old 9th August 2013, 14:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
So, is it the all new i10 for the international market that's going to be called 'Grand i10' in India?

Hyundai truly is becoming the spiritual successor of Maruti in that case- selling Santro (Atos), i10 (Atos successor) and Grand i10 at the same time! Not to mention the 2nd generation Accent being sold along with the 4th gen!
+ to CrAzY dRiVeR. Indian hatch scenario is price sensitive. No one wants to leave even gap of 25K between two vehicles. One can not design/invest this much vehicles. The best possible way is to use have older models co-existing with newer ones.

I think now with Eon > Santro > i10 > Grand i10 > i20 > Veloster(), Hyundai is having reach all over 2.5-12.5 range in hatch.

By the way, Accent is discontinued now.
Old 9th August 2013, 14:49   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That looks to be the case. This car will have its international debut in the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, and will go on sale in Europe by end of the year.
Old 9th August 2013, 15:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i10 and Picanto, i20 and Rio, Accent and Cerato, Tucson and Sportage, and so on... are the siblings under different the names Hyundai and Kia.
+1 to that Parm. Ergo, it's confusing to discern, as an Indian consumer, where the 'inspiration' stops (the new Picanto came out a year ago) and 'new platform' begins (the Grand i10 launching September 3rd).

But hey, in a price sensitive market like India, you have to 're-use the code'
Old 9th August 2013, 16:40   #105
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
A very reliable source says Sub 4-metre Saloon on i-10 Grand already in the works and at an advanced stage of development.
Saw this news on the scoop section of Autocar show last night, this sedan based on Grand i10 will launch some months after the Grand i10!

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/352...g-in-2014.aspx
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks