Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:27   #211
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

yes, carwale indeed mentions ABS as standard an this makes i10 more vfm than ritz or swift. Maruti has bare bone lxi models and if they could, they would not even give power steering or AC!

The scene is going to heat up and wait for a few months Hyundai usually gives discounts on most models after few months have passed. This model would easily snatch some 3-4000 customers away from figo, vista, micra,ritz and even swift and their own i20!
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:36   #212
BHPian

Overdrive article states it will be launched with 4-Speed Auto but the automatic variant though will be introduced at a later date. Since Grand i10 Sportz MT petrols is priced at 4.88L Ex-Delhi, i assume the AT Sportz will cost around 5.5L Ex-Delhi, which is fairly good pricing considering competing AT models from other manufacturers are priced 6L upwards.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:39   #213
Senior - BHPian

Details are up on Hyundai site now
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html
Someone mentioned that ABS is standard across the range but it is available only on Asta.

Last edited by Guna : 3rd September 2013 at 13:42.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:48   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
According to Carwale, ABS is standard across all variants. (I have not checked for Petrol.)
Source : http://www.carwale.com/comparecars/c...3078&car4=3079

Can anybody please confirm?

if so, Era/Magna makes absolute VFM.
Just went through the specifications mentioned on the Hyundai site and ABS

Era Magna Sportz Asta

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-grand.jpg
As per the Spec sheet on the site, ABS & Airbags are Optional (O) in Asta.

Also the way Gear Shift indicator details mentioned, looks like an AT may be launched in future.
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-gs.jpg

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 3rd September 2013 at 13:50.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:14   #215
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is good... really. Just to add on, the Hyundai's brakes are very good generally, & ABS is required to make sure it stops in line without any drama. These are not as bad a current gen Swift IMO, so in case of i10 Grand I am expecting good brakes again.

The diesel seems adequately powered for the city, but, IMO it would struggle on the faster highways, not up North where there is fear of speed guns during the day.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:20   #216
BHPian

Autocar reports:

The car comes in two engine options, a 1.1-litre, three-cylinder U2 VGT diesel motor that develops 70bhp, and the familiar 1.2-litre Kappa petrol engine with a four-speed automatic gearbox as an option. The diesel returns an ARAI-rated 24kpl.

Last edited by groom : 3rd September 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Found the answer for my question, kitna deti hai ?
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:21   #217
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai launches Grand i10 in India

Link to News Section

After previewing its latest hatchback last month, Hyundai India has just launched the Grand i10, a car that straddles the space between the i10 and i20 hatchbacks. The car is available with petrol and diesel engine options. At the outset, Hyundai will offer the Grand i10 with a 5 speed manual gearbox and a 4 speed automatic gearbox. The Grand i10 is priced at 4.3 lakh rupees, ex-showoom Delhi, for the petrol engined base variant, while the diesel engined model comes in at 5.24 lakh rupees.

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-2014-hyundai-grand-i10-hatchback-1.jpg

The car is available in 8 variants, and with 8 colour options for the buyer to choose from. Hyundai claims to have engineered the Grand i10 specifically for the Indian car market and this assertion does come backing with some action. Notably, Hyundai will unveil the next-gen 2014 i10 at Frankfurt, a car that's quite different from the Grand i10, which India will get. The customization for the Grand i10, targeting the Indian car market, includes better space (100 mm longer than Euro-spec next-gen i10) on the inside and a turbo diesel engine with matched gear ratios that are designed to reduce gear shifting in traffic.

Meanwhile, Here are the variant-wise price split up for the Grand i10. It must be noted that these prices are introductory, with the potential of being hiked once the order book fills up.

Hyundai Grand i10 Petrol

Era - Rs. 429,900

Magna - Rs. 449,400

Sportz - Rs. 488,800

Asta - Rs. 547,800

Hyundai Grand i10 Diesel

Era - Rs. 523,700

Magna - Rs. 543,200

Sportz - Rs. 582,600

Asta - Rs. 641,600

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-2014-hyundai-grand-i10-hatchback-2.jpg

The Hyundai Grand i10's petrol engine displaces 1.2 liters and outputs 83 PS-116 Nm. The engine gets two transmission options, a 5 speed manual gearbox and 4 speed automatic gearbox. The turbo diesel engine is a 1.1 liter U2 CRDi that outputs 71 PS-163 Nm. The diesel engine is available with a 5 speed manual gearbox. The petrol engine comes with an ARAI certified mileage figure of 18,9 Kmpl while the diesel engine comes with an ARAI certified mileage figure of 24 Kmpl. In term of its looks, the Grand i10 is unmistakably a Hyundai, what with the Fluidic styling up front.

However, many styling bits on the car, such as a wide track, headlamps and tail lamps, give it a look that's quite distinct from the likes of the i10 and i20 hatchbacks. The car also gets a host of features and creature comforts, many of them segment firsts. Rear AC vents and a stereo player with 1 Gb inbuilt memory are two such class leading features. Twin airbags, ABS+EBD, push button start, a cooled glove box, reverse parking sensors, steering mounted audio controls, steering adjustable for tilt, etc are the various other features available on select variants of the Grand i10.

Pricing wise, the Grand i10's petrol base variant is about 20 thousand rupees higher than the similarly spec-ed i10 Era. Compared with the i20's petrol and diesel variants, the Grand i10's petrol and diesel base models are about 55 thousand and 76 thousand rupees cheaper. The Grand i10 is also cheaper than the best selling B+ hatchback in India, the Maruti Suzuki Swift, by 20 thousand and 35 thousand rupees, for the petrol and diesel engined models respectively. Bookings for the Grand i10 are on and deliveries commence today.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 3rd September 2013 at 14:35. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:22   #218
BHPian

Safety features optional and that also only in the top-end variant is a big downer - I guess an India specific strategy, where safety is not actually top priority.

As a purely city car, the Magna variant of i10 grand is fairly well loaded and good value, as one gets the following features for only Rs 20,000 more than the Era variant:

• rear A/C vents
• central & remote locking
• electrically adjustable ORVMs
• front fog lamps
• rear power windows
• Others: body-coloured ORVMs & door handles, D/N inside rear-view mirror, front-seat-back pocket, rear power outlet, auto-down power window for driver, front intermittent wiper, passenger vanity mirror, rear parcel tray, luggage lamp, full wheel cover

Since one gets bluetooth only in the top-end variant, one would be better off getting an after-market 2-DIN bluetooth system installed. The major features, one would miss from the Sportz variant are reverse parking sensors (again can be installed afterwards), start/stop button (though gimmicky), electric folding for ORVM (useful), cooled glovebox and tilt steering (required). All this for a price difference of Rs 40,000 for both petrol & diesel variants – Magna vs Sportz variant. Although Rs 40,000 doesn’t seem much, but I believe that this segment is quite price sensitive as compared to say the premium hatchback segment.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:40   #219
BHPian

No Automatic, throughly disappointed by Hyundai. After Ecosport AT bungling, Grand i10 AT was a good contender with the perfect size, space and utility offering for both city and highway drives. I wonder why this strategy by Hyundai, when the current i10 AT is selling well, atleast I see more auto i10s than manual ones in my office parking lot and on the roads too.
Is it due to the fact that this is an India specific model and may not be exported to the European markets ??
Time to go back to the Hondas.

Last edited by msmatic : 3rd September 2013 at 15:42. Reason: added a line
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:48   #220
BHPian

IMHO, Hyundai has put in a lot of thought into bringing this car to the market. They have bought in a slew of features (some might be gimmicky) into the Sportz variant which is only available in the Asta model of the current i10.

I am surprised that they restricted some very useful features like rear defogger, wiper and washer assembly to just the Asta variant. These are pretty useful, safety features which I feel should have been included in the Sportz variant itself.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:59   #221
BHPian

This is good pricing looking at the features offered. Given the interior quality and looks, IMO it's going to give the figo and swift a tough time.

I have a 5 year old i10, still runs like new with zero rattles. Hope this continues the Hyundai tradition of excellent fit and finish.

Since my usage has gone up significantly, the diesel looks like a good option. Does anyone have stats on kerb weight for the diesel?

Last edited by Ph03nix : 3rd September 2013 at 16:12.
Ph03nix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:45   #222
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Though the automatic gearbox will only be available later, I think I can understand the delay in launching it. In fact, I don't think this is an unavoidable delay but I believe this has been done in a calculated and very deliberate manner by Hyundai for three reasons:

1) Let's face it - despite the sudden love among urban buyers (including yours truly) for automatic cars in the sub-1 million rupee segments, Indian customers are still very fuel efficiency focused and understandably so, because of the trashy policies of the morons who run the country. If Hyundai launched the petrol automatic along with the manuals, a lot of the early buyers in large cities (who are the main target audience) will begin to complain of poor fuel efficiency figures. The auto gearbox seems to be a tiptronic equipped 4-speed torque converter, which will have an effect on fuel efficiency, however efficient the manual with the same engine happens to be. This is a very intelligent move (from the company's point of view), as the car will be tagged NOT as a gas-guzzler, but instead as a very fuel efficient car, thanks to the diesel variants which are going to make up a majority of the sales. This strategic delay in launching the automatic has the effect of turning the car's potential weakness (petrol auto's fuel efficiency) into a solid strength (diesel manual's very good efficiency) - smart thinking , I should say.

2) A secondary reason is the adjustment of production to meet demand. Hyundai would not have known how many units will be sold monthly and which engine and variants will make up the bulk of the demand. So it makes sense to offer the manuals initially and once the demand stabilises and there are no waiting periods, launch the automatic.

3) A third reason is to sort out the product overlap. The Grand i10 petrol has been launched bang in the price range of the i10 Kappa2 variants and just above the i10 iRDE2 ones. This situation is not going to continue for much longer. Some repositioning/rejigging of variants of the existing i10 is bound to happen soon, while the Santro may be entirely discontinued and replaced by the i10 iRDE from above and the Eon (with a bigger engine) from below. It also remains to be seen whether Hyundai plan to continue selling the existing i10 with the automatic gearbox. If not, they'll want to wait till the existing stocks are sold out and then introduce the Grand i10 Auto in its price range.

What I cannot understand is why the prices of the Asta (Option) with safety features have not been announced. Or is there a mistake in the brochure, which could mean the Asta comes with the safety features as standard? I doubt it and am waiting for some clarity on the prices of the Asta and Asta (Option).

Last edited by RSR : 3rd September 2013 at 16:54.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:38   #223
Senior - BHPian

The petrol models of Grand i10 are priced almost at par with the similar petrol models of i10 - I sense a price correction and re positioning of the i10 is imminent.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:54   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

If Hyundai launched the petrol automatic along with the manuals, a lot of the early buyers in large cities (who are the main target audience) will begin to complain of poor fuel efficiency figures.

2) A secondary reason is the adjustment of production to meet demand. Hyundai would not have known how many units will be sold monthly and which engine and variants will make up the bulk of the demand. So it makes sense to offer the manuals initially and once the demand stabilises and there are no waiting periods, launch the automatic.

3) A third reason is to sort out the product overlap.
People who buy automatics are very well aware of the lower fuel efficiency expectation as compared to its manual counterpart. In fact even the SA at the showrooms will tell you the same, so there is no question of buying and complaining later.
Demand depends on a lot of factors, and you have a better chance of selling more with more variants in this segment.
Product positioning and overlaps are planned before the launch and not after it. I'm sick and tired of this attitude by manufacturers who feel we don't deserve to drive ATs here.
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:32   #225
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
People who buy automatics are very well aware of the lower fuel efficiency expectation as compared to its manual counterpart. In fact even the SA at the showrooms will tell you the same, so there is no question of buying and complaining later.
I agree that people who do buy automatics are themselves aware of the lower fuel efficiency and are willing to sacrifice it a bit for the convenience. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "complain", maybe "report" would have been the correct word - the sentence should have read, ... a lot of the early buyers in large cities will begin to report poor fuel efficiency figures.

Unfortunately, word-of-mouth fuel efficiency figures can make or break a car after the initial hype is over. The first thing people ask when they learn a relative/friend/colleague has got a new car is, "How many km to the litre?" Loads of automatic buyers reporting city fuel efficiency numbers of their Grand i10 Automatics would mean the car would be perceived (among the non-petrol head/unaware car buyers) as being thirsty. On the other hand, now a majority of buyers will report the (presumably) good fuel efficiency numbers of the modern 3-cyl. 1.1 litre CRDi and the car will automatically (pun intended ) be perceived as being very fuel efficient. It's a little psychological thing that should actually work to Hyundai's benefit in the long run, despite annoying those (like you and me) who wanted the automatic to be launched right from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Product positioning and overlaps are planned before the launch and not after it. I'm sick and tired of this attitude by manufacturers who feel we don't deserve to drive ATs here.
It's true that product positioning is planned before, but Hyundai must have had to take into consideration a whole lot of i10s in the stockyards of the factory/dealers, what with the market in a prolonged slump. I think they would wait at least till the existing stock of i10 Automatics is sold out before they launch the Grand i10 Automatic.

The attitude of manufacturers you mentioned is there but it's changing slowly. We are now beginning to see more and more automatics in the sub-1 million rupee price range.

The one attitude that has not changed is the common (and false) belief among manufacturers that there is no need for sub-1 million rupee diesel automatics, and we have to wait quite a while before this changes

Last edited by RSR : 3rd September 2013 at 18:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks