Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 20:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs

I have a question.
Can someone shed some light on the ownership costs of this, the cheapest Audi in India?
Would it be similar to the Skoda Superb or a lot higher?
Old 28th March 2014, 00:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Can someone shed some light on the ownership costs of this, the cheapest Audi in India?
Would it be similar to the Skoda Superb or a lot higher?
Since the car hasn't been launched in India, its very difficult for anyone to comment on servicing cost. Since it would be featuring 2.0 TDi same specs as Skoda Octavia 150 PS, service cost should be more or less equal to it as parts cost would be same. Audi may have slightly higher labor price given snob value.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 10:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wonder, if there is any hopes for an introductory price of 19.99 Lacs ex-showroom price for the entry level Diesel Variant with 2.0 TDI and 6 speed manual transmission? That kind of pricing will make an impact and give Audi the volumes they are looking for.
Yeah, they should plan something in that price range. Because from what I learn, the rear seat of the A3 is a bit cramped. So many people will prefer other options with generous back seats space. Even the CLA is not meant for back seat plush rides. Those who are looking for chauffeur-driven upmarket cars from the German trio, the range will remain C Class/A4/3 series. But at around 20L range, there definitely will be a good demand. I don't feel it'll get accepted for anything more than 25L on road.
Old 28th March 2014, 18:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Yeah, they should plan something in that price range. Because from what I learn, the rear seat of the A3 is a bit cramped. So many people will prefer other options with generous back seats space. Even the CLA is not meant for back seat plush rides. Those who are looking for chauffeur-driven upmarket cars from the German trio, the range will remain C Class/A4/3 series. But at around 20L range, there definitely will be a good demand. I don't feel it'll get accepted for anything more than 25L on road.
From the reviews & videos that I have seen online, CLA is very much cramped in the rear. Given its coupe like design it will a lot claustrophobic for rear passenger. A3 on other hand have better rear space & windows extend all the way to D pillar which gives more ambient lighting, just like in Vento.

If rear space is a concern, A3 wins hands down whereas if you want to put up a nice first impression, nothing beats CLA looks. Mercedes would also be launching CLA45 AMG and there will be many takers for it.

Since BMW is no where near. If by chance Audi releases A3 at 19.99 lac introductory price, I bet anyone upgrading from C-Segment would straight way go for Audi. It would be final nail in D-Segment depreciating value. I hope they do.
Old 28th March 2014, 23:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

I believe that those mooting or hoping for a sub 20 lakh price point will be disappointed. They're pitching it up against the A Class and 1 Series, which are about 22-24 lakhs ex showroom Delhi. That I believe is where the A3 will start, maybe slightly lower than them. 20 lakhs is a bit of a psychological barrier, it makes the brand cheaper, so to speak, and I can't see them going that route.

Audi has always played up the luxury angle, so I don't think there's much chance they will start at a sub 20 lakhs price. They said the A Class and 1 Series would/could start at that price point, but they didn't and those are hatchbacks. The A3 won't go there since it's a bigger car, a sedan, and we Indians do love our sedans so very much.
Old 28th March 2014, 23:14   #51
BHPian

All said and done, the luxury brands cannot afford to price their cars lesser than 20 lakhs otherwise they lose the 'premium' feeling. 19.99 lakhs ex-showroom and all of a sudden will seem like Octavia range which the trio would like to avoid. Having said this, assuming, the rupee will now start to appreciate over the next few years and India starts growing at 8% again, we are not too far off from the days when the luxury cars would be more affordable with the aforementioned tail winds!
Old 4th April 2014, 08:20   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The India-bound Audi A3 sedan equipped with Audi pre sense front has earned a Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+) rating in the 2014 Safety Rating from the Insurance for Highway Safety (IIHS).

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/audi-a3-se...om-iihs-384274
Old 4th April 2014, 20:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I believe that those mooting or hoping for a sub 20 lakh price point will be disappointed. They're pitching it up against the A Class and 1 Series, which are about 22-24 lakhs ex showroom Delhi. That I believe is where the A3 will start, maybe slightly lower than them. 20 lakhs is a bit of a psychological barrier, it makes the brand cheaper, so to speak, and I can't see them going that route.

Audi has always played up the luxury angle, so I don't think there's much chance they will start at a sub 20 lakhs price. They said the A Class and 1 Series would/could start at that price point, but they didn't and those are hatchbacks. The A3 won't go there since it's a bigger car, a sedan, and we Indians do love our sedans so very much.
I think that these cars are likely to be priced in the 25-30 lakh mark. The likes of BMW have raised the prices this year and focused on a 'profit' centric policy. They seem to be content with a luxury positioning - only in India do such cars cost 2x-3x of similar sized, non-luxury competition. This is despite significant domestic content. "We are currently running at around 35-40 per cent levels of localisation" - Till Conrad, Mercedes India Chairman
Old 5th April 2014, 05:16   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

This is exactly the reason professionals who are value conscious luxury customers get frustrated and walk away. Unlike the business-owner-class, who may be motivated more by snob value and exclusivity, professional-type buyers, who may be senior level executives in MNCs etc tend to be well traveled globally, understand when a product offers good value related to the price globally. Even if they can afford a higher price point, these buyers do not want to engage when they feel they are getting ripped off at 2X to 3X of global prices. They would come to an A3 because of superior levels of quality relative to the rest of the D Segment, beautiful design and styling and being one of the first in the world to own the A3 product. This car is going to be launched in the US almost simultaneously and it is priced at 29K USD (around 18 lakhs) - so I do not see why we cannot also get it close to that price range in India.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 09:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly the reason professionals who are value conscious luxury customers get frustrated and walk away. Unlike the business-owner-class, who may be motivated more by snob value and exclusivity, professional-type buyers, who may be senior level executives in MNCs etc tend to be well traveled globally, understand when a product offers good value related to the price globally. Even if they can afford a higher price point, these buyers do not want to engage when they feel they are getting ripped off at 2X to 3X of global prices. They would come to an A3 because of superior levels of quality relative to the rest of the D Segment, beautiful design and styling and being one of the first in the world to own the A3 product. This car is going to be launched in the US almost simultaneously and it is priced at 29K USD (around 18 lakhs) - so I do not see why we cannot also get it close to that price range in India.
I have a question, is it correct that the 29K USD in US you get bare bone car and any useful feature is to be paid extra while in India the starting variant has enough equipment compared to what you get in US etc. hence the price difference may seem high but not as high when you take the above point into consideration?
Old 6th April 2014, 03:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
I have a question, is it correct that the 29K USD in US you get bare bone car and any useful feature is to be paid extra while in India the starting variant has enough equipment compared to what you get in US etc. hence the price difference may seem high but not as high when you take the above point into consideration?
This is not true, either. The base trim sold in the US at $29.9 K has Leather upholstery, twelve way power adjustable seat, Automatic Xenon Headlights with LES DRLs, sunroof, knee airbags in addition to the usual front/side/curtain airbags, stability control, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, light sensing headlights, driver infotainment, satellite radio, bluetooth, TPMS etc. If anything, the base Indian Model will be lacking some of the features provided in the base US model.
Old 6th April 2014, 07:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is not true, either. The base trim sold in the US at $29.9 K has Leather upholstery, twelve way power adjustable seat, Automatic Xenon Headlights with LES DRLs, sunroof, knee airbags in addition to the usual front/side/curtain airbags, stability control, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, light sensing headlights, driver infotainment, satellite radio, bluetooth, TPMS etc. If anything, the base Indian Model will be lacking some of the features provided in the base US model.
This is a much discussed topic on the forum - why cars are priced higher in India when compared with other markets like the US or UK. It will be easy if it's just a direct currency conversion without considering the different market dynamics, taxes etc. If this logic is followed, nobody will buy a car in markets like Singapore were a regular Suzuki Swift costs around 40-50 lakhs INR
Old 6th April 2014, 13:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is a much discussed topic on the forum - why cars are priced higher in India when compared with other markets like the US or UK. It will be easy if it's just a direct currency conversion without considering the different market dynamics, taxes etc. If this logic is followed, nobody will buy a car in markets like Singapore were a regular Suzuki Swift costs around 40-50 lakhs INR
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the high cost in Singapore have to do with the Certificate of Entitlement? I know that you can't own a car without it in SP and hence it is part of the final cost but I don't think a Swift would cost that much ex-showroom.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 14:39   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the high cost in Singapore have to do with the Certificate of Entitlement? I know that you can't own a car without it in SP and hence it is part of the final cost but I don't think a Swift would cost that much ex-showroom.
Hi, you're right. The price is with COE, but just mentioned that for comaparison to say that how prices vary across the world.

For the A3, I think anywhere around 22-25 lakhs should be a good price. Looking at the price of A-Class, it will be interesting to see how Mercedes will place the A3 rival CLA.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 17:15   #60
BHPian

Looking at how Audi has priced recent launches, please expect prices only marginally less than a Q3. Except for a bare bones model (like Q3 S) I expect the prices of A3 sedan to be around 30 L or more for mid and higher spec models.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks