Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2007, 19:52   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, I rather liked those dials. I'm going to wait and get the best bits of the 2.2 into my Dicor (yes, engine included) over the next 3-6 months

Way to go Steer..
Old 29th September 2007, 19:55   #1412
Senior - BHPian

I think they have copied the design from one of the SUV's running in the US. I remember seeing such a wheel cover somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Samu

and i like interior, hate the spare wheel cover though.
I wasnt expecting anything drastic, as we all already knew from the spy pics/other posts that what was changing. But the least was to do away with those rattles and cabin noise, which I guess is not addressed. That was the bare minimum TATA could have done to refine an already stable product/design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Drastic re-engineering so late in a product's lifecycle isnt to be expected - you'd expect manufacturers to save all the detailing for a NEW model.
Old 29th September 2007, 19:56   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Which is all that is all that was to be expected. As long as that expectation is fulfilled, the new version has served its purpose.
Exactament! The hype is created by all of us. I guess Tata wanted to release an improved version of existing Safari instead of an all new one. I think they seem to have done a fine job.

A few of my biggest issues with current (3.0L Dicor) Safari were

- Clutch travel
- Underpowered engine
- Gray interiors

After reading the posts by others, it seems they have been addressed. I can't wait to TD it myself.
Old 29th September 2007, 21:12   #1414
Senior - BHPian

After seeing all this, Im quite happy with my 3.0 litre. That spare wheel cover looks hideous. FE of 15 in city is far too optimistic in my opinion.

Drifter
Old 29th September 2007, 21:14   #1415
Team-BHP Support

Well, I only expected a more powerful engine and known problems fixed. If it is as reliable as the old one, I'll be fine.
Old 29th September 2007, 21:25   #1416

Guys lets waits for the final price list to put this in the right prespective. IF it is finally a 30-35k increase I think the EX looks really attractive with a new engine and body colored cladding. Its is VFM . Of course we will now have to spend some extra money to change the "radically horrible" wheel cover.
Old 29th September 2007, 21:28   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
1.clutch soft

3.gear shift to the first needed two attempts every time.felt tight and hard.

8.wind shear noise.
9.engine NVH less for sure
10.in cabin rattles as bad.sorry..
Is the gearbox been changed? Tata should realize that, "if it aint broke, then leave it alone"
Old 29th September 2007, 22:49   #1418
BHPian

The new interior colour looks more Land Rover'ish'. It was a Discovery I drove with a bit alike interiors
Old 29th September 2007, 23:01   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
But the least was to do away with those rattles and cabin noise, which I guess is not addressed. That was the bare minimum TATA could have done to refine an already stable product/design.
1. How much have you driven a current Safari to comment about 'those rattles and cabin noise'?

2. Have you test driven the new one?

I can say yes to (1) and my take on it is that the problem is highly exaggerated. This is not to say that the vehicle is rattle-free, but most of the issues have been minor, easily taken care of and not design related.

I havent done a test drive yet, but if a manufacturer provides rattly test drive vehicles for a new product they deserve to fail in the market.
Old 30th September 2007, 00:33   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Not Happy

Let me clarify that we are owners of Safari. I have travelled in some. But I am having quite a tab on the indian automotive market.
I feel that the new 2.2 is a good engine but application is not good.
I thought that we will be able to see a brand new SUV with a brand new plarform. This Safari 2.2 is a huge dissapointment. The chasis is old and clearly showing its age when we compare it with Innova. I know that the Innova is not in the SUV category, but then the price range for higher models get into the same range so they can be compared to some extent.

The overall vehicle has simply aged too much, further you cannot modify it to match the new competetirs. The new engine could have been better utilized to a new platform. Although the weight will be reduced, it wont be really low as compared to the manufacturing technology of recent times i.e. " Tailored Blanking". The weight is high and that further reduces the fuel effeciency and its not good. With a new platform, well, we know the things would have been much better.

And the problems with the build quality still remain. The weight takes it toll on the tyres and suspension. The driving or rather travelling experience is not as good as Innova which feels better for really long travels.

Overall, I feel really bad that a new and modern diesel engine goes waste for a product that is well past its selling date. More refinement and better overall package is definatley expected. The price range in which SAfari is, there are better options avaliable(not SUV).
Old 30th September 2007, 01:11   #1421
adc
Senior - BHPian

FE of Dicors - 2.2/3

These are the FE that are there on the tata italy website

For Dicor 3.0, fuel consumption per 100 km

urban/city - 9.8 - i.e. 10.2 kmpl

highway - 8.0 - i.e. 12.5 kmpl

mixed - 8.6 - i.e. 11.62 kmpl

For Dicor 2.2, fuel consumption per 100 km

urban/city - 8.4 - i.e. 11.9 kmpl

highway - 7.0 - i.e. 14.2 kmpl

mixed - 7.7 - i.e. 12.98 kmpl

There is a italian forum discussing about the 2.2 engine, but could not make anything out of it - the translation also did not work out. - of course deciphered that "bufala" means "buffalo/blockhead"

Indice: Tata Safari 2.2 .... BUFALA?
Old 30th September 2007, 01:22   #1422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I thought that we will be able to see a brand new SUV with a brand new plarform. This Safari 2.2 is a huge dissapointment. The chasis is old and clearly showing its age when we compare it with Innova.

The price range in which SAfari is, there are better options avaliable(not SUV).
While you are entitled to have your views they are not necessarily correct. SUVs have certain characteristics which are very different from a sedan or an MUV. Those who buy SUVs buy them because they love those traits. You can not compare an SUV with something else just because the costs are same or even because the SUV costs more than the 'other car' and just because both move on 4 wheels.

While you might have expected a brand new SUV with a new engine, a new body and an entirely new dynamics thats only your personal expectation. Tatas never promised anything beyond a new engine. From the indications of the things, for this vastly improved engine they are probably going to ask some 30-40k extra. Entirely justified if they really give you a more tractable engine with the rest of the vehicle remaining the same as the old one. So you do need to reign in you expectations a tad more.

Finally as you said, there are better Non-SUV options available at that price range. Sure. Why at that price range, there are indeed options available at an even lower price points which you may find lucrative. The point is that SUVs with the same (or better) qualities of the Safari cost much higher than what it costs. And thats where the buck stops.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th September 2007 at 01:25.
Old 30th September 2007, 08:05   #1423
Senior - BHPian

What I dont understand is that the 2.2l Dicor was waited for its responsive engine and its fun to drive factor and reading the report I have no confusion that it delivers on that count better than expected. So whats this about the car turning out damp.

Instead we should say thank you Tata. Wasn't this forum pretty clear that this car was not the X2 generation safari so nothing much apart from the engine will change.
Old 30th September 2007, 08:52   #1424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Let me clarify that we are owners of Safari. I have travelled in some. But I am having quite a tab on the indian automotive market. I feel that the new 2.2 is a good engine but application is not good. I thought that we will be able to see a brand new SUV with a brand new plarform. This Safari 2.2 is a huge dissapointment. .... The price range in which SAfari is, there are better options avaliable(not SUV).
aaggoswami, wrong expectations usually ends with disappointment. I am looking for a SUV for doing extensive bad roads driving (where huge GC and weight helps) and some off-roading (huge GC & 4x4). In both counts Safari delivers and Innova doesn't. So Safari, Scorpio, Bolero and Gurkha are my options.

You on the other hand are into long distance highway driving, and you are open to non-SUV. You shouldn't even be looking at Safari, why suffer for features you don't need. You should look at Innova and nothing else. Actually I envy you, you can get a great product to match your need while we who have SUV needs have to compromise with Safari.
Old 30th September 2007, 09:12   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You on the other hand are into long distance highway driving, and you are open to non-SUV. You shouldn't even be looking at Safari, why suffer for features you don't need. You should look at Innova and nothing else. Actually I envy you, you can get a great product to match your need while we who have SUV needs have to compromise with Safari.
Well said Samurai!
My thoughts exactly. Hence my 4WD Scorpio.
Otherwise, is there need to look beyond the Innova (even despite its looks)??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks