Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 10:04   #136
BHPian

i read that not much changes have been to the body. hence even if ppl saw them on the road they might not have able to recognize it
Old 5th December 2006, 12:05   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I am hoping to wait till April before pulling the plug on something else, so it would be ideal if Tata launches this in January and initial kinks get worked out.
Buddy, given Tata's time frames with the existing Dicor, it may be a 15 month period before the "initial" kinks are ironed out.......so January to April would probably not be enough
Old 5th December 2006, 14:16   #138
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Buddy, given Tata's time frames with the existing Dicor, it may be a 15 month period before the "initial" kinks are ironed out.......so January to April would probably not be enough
I have a feeling its a 2.2 JTD found in the Fiat Ulysse ...
Old 5th December 2006, 14:57   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That kind of power from a 2.2 is amazing...considering that Mercedes has managed 141 BHP and 340nm of torque from the 2.2 in my C220.
Old 5th December 2006, 15:52   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That kind of power from a 2.2 is amazing...considering that Mercedes has managed 141 BHP and 340nm of torque from the 2.2 in my C220.
Why not ? Considering that the 1.9 JTD on the Punto produces 130 BHP. And as SUV said, it might be another from the same stable.
Old 5th December 2006, 16:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
I have a feeling its a 2.2 JTD found in the Fiat Ulysse ...
Doubtful - the 2.2 was spoken about by dealers when the 3.0 Dicor was yet to be launched. Many of them were confused as to which of the two engines would be offered, and Overdrive had reported a 2.2 litre 135+bhp engine as early as April 2005. Thats way before the Fiat alliance was even considered...then we heard that AVL is working on the 2.2.

From what I've heard so far, this is a Telco (sorry Tata Motors) engine, as is the 1.4 16v Dicor.
Old 5th December 2006, 16:15   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Doubtful - the 2.2 was spoken about by dealers when the 3.0 Dicor was yet to be launched. Many of them were confused as to which of the two engines would be offered, and Overdrive had reported a 2.2 litre 135+bhp engine as early as April 2005. Thats way before the Fiat alliance was even considered...then we heard that AVL is working on the 2.2.

From what I've heard so far, this is a Telco (sorry Tata Motors) engine, as is the 1.4 16v Dicor.
I think AVL worked on this engine with Tata and also Mahindra. thats why there is talk of 2.2ltr scorpio with 140bhp engine.
Old 5th December 2006, 16:52   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And who'll complain if one's getting all the retrofits for free!
Old 5th December 2006, 16:55   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And who'll complain if one's getting all the retrofits for free!
Plus the fact that this engine has allegedly been worked upon for more than 15 months already - reports suggest that test Dicors fitted with this engine (development stage) have been running around since last February.

In any case, there have not been any issues with the Engine, Drivetrain or other critical components of the Safari - the niggles have mostly related to third party components, to be fair to Tata Motors.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th December 2006 at 16:56.
Old 5th December 2006, 19:17   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
the niggles have mostly related to third party components, to be fair to Tata Motors.
I find it a bit difficult to understand....Tata is not the only one who is using third party components, so there has to something wrong in the vendor selection by Tatas. Why have they STILL not been able to figure out the right vendors ...beats me
Old 6th December 2006, 03:18   #146
BHPian

Mr RAVI KANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

who is the above said?

who in his stint as the boss in hindustan lever(right soap and cosmetics too)changed its fortunes using COST CONTROL as his mantra!and right too for soaps and cosmetics even you and i can do it in a small scale with a little!! quality difference,

HE IS USING THE SAME MANTRA IN TATA MOTORS!!!

small examples:look at any safari post 2003 to 2005 its quality and reliablity were actualy(and finaly acceptable)thanks to the continious efforts of an engineer(dr v sumantran)safari was known for its brakes and a few things and now i see a few auto magazines comparing it with scorpio's!!!

a top dealer's MD"s safari was stationary for a long time because of brake failure!!apart from several cases blown engines,electronic failure's,electrical failure's,turbo failure's etc etc...why

because honourable TATA people under the able leadership of the above said pondered why the safari is not selling is because of the pricing so...bring it down without denting the profit,

dump bosch(braking)call tvs and say i can offer you X amount for the required...result-compromise

plastics..now sourced from china..including your streering,please compare with old tcic steering,the grille,the headlamp,the tail lamp,the bumper,the...everything including turbo hosing was bought at a suggested by TATA motors pricing and not dependent on any parameter's,the supplier had to be a ISO or TUV certified thats it,end result is there in front of you,

the numbers have picked up so have disgruntled elements including yours truely who foolishly sold his 03,04 tcic for 05,06 dicors happy with his former and flawless(well almost)experience to a nightmare which ended up in sale of one after just 5500kms and really happy with the second one(no thanks to tata motors)

happy end note is TATA is getting jacked triple+ than before warranty claims which nullifies their new calculation's...not so happy end note THEY ARE STILL NOT GETTING IT.
Old 6th December 2006, 07:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Doc are you sure you are not talking about Rajiv Dube. Ravi Kant came from the truck division and before TATA was in Phillips.
Old 6th December 2006, 11:57   #148

I made another observation on Dicors.....Not sure if anyone else has also observed this.....atlest 50 % of the Dicors that I have seen on road have a broken safari logo. What is left is "fari" ,"safa" ,"saf" etc.....again reflects on the poor quality of plastics used. I have never seen this happen in any other Car on the road....I think as a company, you should be very careful at least about your logo/brand name. This is a very small thing and should not affect ones purchase decision. However it reflects on the shallow quality controls of the company
Old 6th December 2006, 12:48   #149
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Kant is ex-LML ? Or some other bike manufacturer ?

As far as I know he was heading Tata Daewoo in Korea, not Tata Motors in India.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic:
Cant provide the official link[so copy+pasting here] but heres what tatas have to say about Mr. Ravi Kant

Mr. Ravi Kant holds a Bachelor of Technology degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur and a Masters in Science from the University of Aston, Birmingham, UK. Mr. Kant has wide and varied experience in the manufacturing and marketing field, particularly in the automobile industry. Prior to joining the Company, he was with Philips India Limited as Director of Consumers Electronics business and prior to which with LML Ltd. as Senior Executive Director (Marketing) and Titan Watches Limited as Vice President (Sales & Marketing).

Mr. Kant was also employed with Kinetic Engineering Limited and Hawkins Cookers Limited. Mr. Kant has been with the Company since July 2000 as the Executive Director (Commercial Vehicle Business Unit) responsible for manufacturing & marketing of the Commercial Vehicle Business Unit.MR Ravi Kant, Executive Director, Tata Motors is the Chairman of Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Co Ltd[June 2004] , renamed Tata Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Co Ltd (TDCV) since acquisition by the Tatas. He has been appointed as Managing Director of the Company[Tata Motors] effective July 29, 2005.

Source: tata motors

Ps: another dedicated link for him:
The story of tata motors success

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th December 2006 at 13:33.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks