Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 11:37   #31
BHPian

re: Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Your dad can buy a car through CSD with engine capacity less than 1500 cc, once in lifetime after retirement.
Driving license is a must for getting the car registered.
The car can be bought and registered only in his name too.

Therefore, if your dad wants to buy a car through Csd, the first step would be to get a driving license.
Thank you for the thread Dhanush.

Same case here my Dad is an ex-service men and we haven't used the csd service for a car purchase till date. My dad had a 2 wheeler license which expired long back.

He is now 65 years and I don't think he can apply for a license either. Is there any other way like me buying the car on his behalf. Any solution here.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 27th January 2014 at 11:38. Reason: Corrected sentence
Old 27th January 2014, 15:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
My dealer has refused to give me any discounts whatsoever on the vehicle/insurance. The enquiry was in December when there were decent discounts/offers on XUV. Although he agreed to "consider" discount on accessories.

On further enquiry the dealer mentioned that the dealer commission is lesser by 2% on CSD vehicles than the normal vehicles and hence no offers/discounts on CSD vehicles.

I go by what he has to say. I would like someone to corroborate the same.

@Dhanushmenon : Did you get any discounts? My vehicle delivery is in Feb end/March.
I did not get any discounts.
I bought the car a month or so after the price revision (Rs 33,000 discount due to the reduction of GC). I did get the benefit of that price revision.

Other than that nothing. I didnt have much to complain too. I was anyway getting the car at a very yummy price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Thank you for the thread Dhanush.

Same case here my Dad is an ex-service men and we haven't used the csd service for a car purchase till date. My dad had a 2 wheeler license which expired long back.

He is now 65 years and I don't think he can apply for a license either. Is there any other way like me buying the car on his behalf. Any solution here.
No. There is no way in which you can buy the car on behalf of your dad.
The facility is primarily meant for Defence personnel and Ex-servicemen.

Dependents do not have the previlege.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 18:16   #33
BHPian

My father is replacing his 6yr old Indigo with either Maruti Swift Zdi or a Ertiga Zdi. Which dealer is the cheapest for Maruti? I've seen huge price disparity between Lucknow & Ambala. Almost to the tune of 21,000. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 1st February 2014, 19:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, if your dad wants to buy a car through Csd, the first step would be to get a driving license.
Is driving license in the list of documents required by the CSD to process the form?
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Is driving license in the list of documents required by the CSD to process the form?
No its not a requirement however it can be produced as one of the identity proof documents.

The documents required are as under:-

FOR SERVING OFFICER:
a) Indent form & Authority Letter duly countersigned by unit commander.
b) Pay slip of last two months (one photo copy of each).
c) PAN Card or Form – 60
d) Demand Draft.
e) Identity Card for verification.
FOR RETIRED OFFICERS:
a) Indent form & Authority Letter duly countersigned by Dy. Director, Zila Sainik Board/Stn. HQ.
b) PPO (two photocopies).
c) PAN Card or Form – 60
d) Demand Draft.
e) Identity Card of Ex-Serviceman.
FOR WIDOW:
a) Identity of widows.
b) PPO (2 Copies).
c) Indent form & Authority Letter duly countersigned by Dy. Director, Zila Sainik Board/Stn. HQ.
d) Demand Draft.

Anyways, you will be expected to possess a driving license. Dont know why the question as you plan to buy a vehicle so better have a license.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:36   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
No its not a requirement however it can be produced as one of the identity proof documents.
Dont know why the question as you plan to buy a vehicle so better have a license.
His question was whether he would be able to buy a car in the name of his dad, who doesn't have a driving license.
I believe that you cannot buy a car in your name if you do not have a driving license.
Driving license is one of the documents which is required at the dealer for endorsing the vehicle in your name and also for getting the vehicle registered.

Regards
Old 21st February 2014, 18:43   #37
BHPian

Hi Dhanush,

thanks for putting together this list of information. I had a couple of queries regarding the CSD procedure.

Both my grandfathers are ex-service men and the vehicles can be bought in their name and used by me is my understanding.

My grandfather is based in Jammu, so do we have to only approach CSD Jammu or can we buy from any canteen ?

What is the starting point for this process ? Do we approach a dealer or the canteen? and what forms are needed at this stage ?

sorry for the barrage of questions but i needed some clarity

thanks again

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 21:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Dhanush,

thanks for putting together this list of information. I had a couple of queries regarding the CSD procedure.

Both my grandfathers are ex-service men and the vehicles can be bought in their name and used by me is my understanding.

My grandfather is based in Jammu, so do we have to only approach CSD Jammu or can we buy from any canteen ?

What is the starting point for this process ? Do we approach a dealer or the canteen? and what forms are needed at this stage ?

sorry for the barrage of questions but i needed some clarity

thanks again

Kundan
Your grand father can buy the car and get it registered in his name. And you can use it subsequently.

You can buy the car from any canteen anywhere in India.
However, your grandfather will have to get the relevant documents from the Zila Sainik board as he is an ex-service man.

The details of the documents required are mentioned in the initial posts of this thread.

You can approach the dealer. They have earmarked sales executives who looks after CSD sales. These executives will be able to guide you properly.

The indent form have to be signed by the Zila Sainik Board. Your grand father will have to approach these sainik boards with a few documents (the details of which I am not completely sure of at this moment) to get the indent form signed.
The respective Zila Sainik Boards will be able to help him out in this regard.
Old 7th April 2014, 23:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

My father in law is an ex-service man- Retired Major. Can i buy Elantra or Skoda Octavia TSI? or atleast new Honda City VX CVT.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:27   #40
BHPian

I have nothing but the greatest respect for those who put their life and limb at risk so that civilians like me can sleep in peace. I can't believe that this is the amount of paperwork that has to be done - the defense guys should have one stop solution if they want to buy a car and they should get the maximum discount possible - heck, the Government should subsidize it.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 10:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I have nothing but the greatest respect for those who put their life and limb at risk so that civilians like me can sleep in peace. I can't believe that this is the amount of paperwork that has to be done - the defense guys should have one stop solution if they want to buy a car and they should get the maximum discount possible - heck, the Government should subsidize it.
The amount of paper work; even as I agree is on a higher end, it is just to ensure that non eligible personnel do not mis use this facility.
However, in this age of technology, I think that we can digitalise the procedure with online facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
My father in law is an ex-service man- Retired Major. Can i buy Elantra or Skoda Octavia TSI? or atleast new Honda City VX CVT.
Your father in law can buy a car less than 2500 cc, once after retirement.
If he had bought a car during the period he was serving, that car doesn't count.
Old 9th April 2014, 19:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your father in law can buy a car less than 2500 cc, once after retirement.
If he had bought a car during the period he was serving, that car doesn't count.
Thanks Dhanush. Is there any upper amount limit for a Retired Major?
Will it be ok for purchasing an Octavia/Elantra on his name and i pay for it?
Are Octavia/Elantra/ New Honda City registered with CSD Hyderabad?
Old 9th April 2014, 21:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The procedure for ex-servicemen remain almost the same. Small changes here and there as they are not anymore in active service. As soon as a service person retires, all administrative dealings are shifted to 'Zila sainik board' or station ex-service men head quarters

Documents required by Ex- servicemen
  • a. Indent form counter signed by Zila Sainik Board or Station Head Quarter
  • b. Authority Letter form counter signed by Zila Sainik Board or Station Head Quarters
  • c. Pension Pay Order (PPO) in Original & copy of ex-serviceman identity card
  • d. Record of service for EC and Short service Commission Officers
  • e. Discharge book and Pension book for Retd PBOR
  • f. Copy of PAN Card & Canteen SMart Card, ECHS Card & Driving license
  • g. Copy of Address Proof (Any two of the following):
    Electricity Bill / Water Bill / Passport / Ration Card / Voter ID Card
  • h. Three passport photos

Hi,Thanks a lot for such an informative post. My brother took PMR after 11 years and 4 months of service. We had to run around a lot to get his CSD card reissued. As of today(5 and half years post PMR), he is still waiting for his gratuity which CDA Pune and Allahabad have not yet sorted out. Now the problem is that he has not been provided with any ESM id card or anything else. So I was wondering as to how can he go in for a car through CSD. He is not getting pension as his was a PMR.
Old 10th April 2014, 13:31   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no upper limit on the cost of the car. The upper limit is only on the engine capacity, i.e, 2500 cc for Officers and 1500 cc for ORs.
The car can be purchased on his name and you can pay for it.
Actually, the payment is made through a DD. Therefore it doesn't matter who pays or from whose account the DD is made as long as it is addressed to CSD.

As for your last question, I am not aware of the registration details for respective cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi,Thanks a lot for such an informative post. My brother took PMR after 11 years and 4 months of service. We had to run around a lot to get his CSD card reissued. As of today(5 and half years post PMR), he is still waiting for his gratuity which CDA Pune and Allahabad have not yet sorted out. Now the problem is that he has not been provided with any ESM id card or anything else. So I was wondering as to how can he go in for a car through CSD. He is not getting pension as his was a PMR.
I am not sure whether he will be able to purchase a car through CSD due to two main reasons as listed below:
a) He doesn't have a valid ESM card
b) Since he took PMR, I ain't sure of his entitlement as against a normal Ex service man. (as far as I can recall, short service commission officers who have put in 5/7/10/12/14 yrs of service are also not entitled to buy cars after their retirement.

However, there is some ambiguity in this.
Kindly check up with the nearest Zila Sainik Board

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 10th April 2014 at 13:32.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can check up with the CSD depot or the dealers.

In all probabilities in a city like Hyderabad these cars should be registered.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks