Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 15:32   #76
BHPian

Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Guys,

How is the ground clearance on the Fiesta Classic? I am interested in the diesel, however after driving a friends figo extensively with just three(above average build & full boot) people scraped almost all speed brakers on NH17 and interior Karnataka. And please note we were slowing down to a crawl on all speed brakers.
This is scaring me away from it.

Can existing owners comment if there are similar GC issues with the fiesta classic?
Old 20th January 2014, 18:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Seems the price cut has not been officially communicated to the dealers. We visited the Surat Ford Dealer and he refused about any price cuts and also said that there are not on going deals / discounts on the 2014 make cars. He has only a handful of 2013 cars in stock on which he is willing to work out a deal.

He even went on saying that Ford has stopped taking orders for the "NEW" Fiesta and the Fiesta Classic is going to remain in production all through 2014.

God knows how true is this.
First part is a lie. He is first trying to get rid of the 2013 stock and nothing else, after price cut the difference is hardly 15-20K (2013 being cheaper after discounts). He knows no one will buy a 2013 car if the difference is so less, as you lose much more than what you save now in resale of 2013 car.

The second part is partially true as the new facelift fiesta is going to be relaunched.

A little birdy tells me that it will also receive a price correction. To what extent is unknown, probably bringing it to the level of Ecosport.
Old 20th January 2014, 19:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Guys, How is the ground clearance on the Fiesta Classic? I am interested in the diesel, however after driving a friends figo extensively with just three(above average build & full boot) people scraped almost all speed brakers on NH17 and interior Karnataka. And please note we were slowing down to a crawl on all speed brakers. This is scaring me away from it. Can existing owners comment if there are similar GC issues with the fiesta classic?
If I am not mistaken the ground clearence is 168 mm. I have 195/60R14 spec Yokohama ES 100 tyres on my car and have not encountered any ground clearence issues. Though have been troubled by the stray unscientific speed breaker. Over all in the 7 years of ownership,must have scraped the bottom not more than 5 times. Not sure about the Figo. Haven't driven one as yet.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th January 2014 at 19:47.
Old 20th January 2014, 20:32   #79
BHPian

Looks like Ford is trying to clear Classic inventory and re-introduce current Fiesta as Classic and launch new Fiesta. This is just my guess.

Having said that Classic at this price point is an excellent value for money.
Old 20th January 2014, 20:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am interested in the diesel, however after driving a friends figo extensively with just three(above average build & full boot) people
The numbers mention the same GC(168 mm) for the classic and the Figo, but the former doesn't have any issues with speed breakers.

Though, the mud-flaps scrape when you don't take the speed breakers at crawling speeds.

The Figo has 1 year/10k service interval whereas the sedan has 6 months/10k.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

How is the ground clearance on the Fiesta Classic? I am interested in the diesel, however after driving a friends figo extensively with just three(above average build & full boot) people scraped almost all speed brakers on NH17 and interior Karnataka. And please note we were slowing down to a crawl on all speed brakers.

Can existing owners comment if there are similar GC issues with the fiesta classic?

Hi Ph03nix, I am a Fiesta Classic owner. GC being 168 mm only, the car scraps with full load on huge speed breakers, however the front mud flaps get scraped on the ones which are thin but have a considerable height. I have tried by keeping 35 psi on all tyres and with 4 good build people on board and it did not scrap on the same ugly speed breaker again but the front mud flaps continue to scrap on small/thin speed breakers where the tyres travel span is small and it drops suddenly while exiting the speed breaker. One has to really keep it very slow and controlled when the front tyres exit and the car belly is just above the speed breaker to avoid scraping. The GC is indeed bad in Fiesta classic and the Figo.

Hi Arun, it won't be a good idea to switch to 1.4 tdci after using the 1.3 multijet for a while. You will find it sluggish and dissatisfying. If you want to stick to diesel engines then look for cars with the same engine and that to with a VGT. The power to weight ratio of the Classic is so poor that I was very upset and got a remap done at 13k kms.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st January 2014 at 10:53. Reason: Merged
amiya.c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 11:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

GC figures can be very deceiving. My Kizashi only has a GC of around 155 or so. Just the same as the Civic yet it doesn't scrape speedbreakers unless you go pretty fast over a tall one. My friend's Fiesta on the other hand, surprised me when it scraped a few speed humps that I never imagined a car with more ground clearance and a shorter wheelbase would.

That being said, I have driven his car quite a few times now and have got used to gauging when I need to slow down for particular seed humps in the car. BUT by slow I mean literally crawling. It is a good car even in diesel guise, a remap would help vastly though.
Old 21st January 2014, 23:40   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
Hi Arun, it won't be a good idea to switch to 1.4 tdci after using the 1.3 multijet for a while. You will find it sluggish and dissatisfying. If you want to stick to diesel engines then look for cars with the same engine and that to with a VGT. The power to weight ratio of the Classic is so poor that I was very upset and got a remap done at 13k kms.
Spot on! I felt the same after doing the test drive. Over taking might be difficult especially at second/third gear which is not an issue with the Dzire. But at 9.5L(possibility of 20K discount) for the top end, its VFM. Anyways, I am also looking at Linea as well.
Old 21st January 2014, 23:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Spot on! I felt the same after doing the test drive. Over taking might be difficult especially at second/third gear which is not an issue with the Dzire. But at 9.5L(possibility of 20K discount) for the top end, its VFM. Anyways, I am also looking at Linea as well.
A friend is in exactly in this spot. Linea classic or Ford classic. The linea classic base version is about 35 K more than the ford classic. He's done research only on the base variants though. GC of linea is much more than ford i was told.
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
A friend is in exactly in this spot. Linea classic or Ford classic. The linea classic base version is about 35 K more than the ford classic. He's done research only on the base variants though. GC of linea is much more than ford i was told.
Again, Linea Classic will not be a wise decision. It doesn't have a VGT and has the same tuning as that of the Punto 1.3 multi-jet. It weighs around 1300 kgs, approximately 150 kgs more than the Fiesta classic. But has got just 7 horses more. One thing to note is that the Fiesta Classic's gear shifts are far better than that of the Linea, so a little workout with them rewards us with satisfying drive, not peppy enough though. The 90ps Linea with 220 Nm of torque should be the one to go for and I think the base variant is comparable to that of Fiesta Classic's CLXI variant.
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,there is so much talk on this thread on the base versions of the Fiesta Classic and the Linea Classic. What ever the cars you guys are buying,I would suggest to spend the extra money on safety. Pls get the ABS and Airbags versions. The cars now are very good and so are our highways. The average speed on our highways has gone up and there is no proportionate improvement in our road sense. Just read a thread on a Skoda Laura accident. Some lunatic two wheeler cutting across a state highway. Also yesterday's Volvo accident near Bangalore was caused by a jay walker. My 2 cents.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ph03nix, I am a Fiesta Classic owner.

...Hi Arun, it won't be a good idea to switch to 1.4 tdci after using the 1.3 multijet for a while. You will find it sluggish and dissatisfying.

...The power to weight ratio of the Classic is so poor that I was very upset and got a remap done at 13k kms.
Quote:
Again, Linea Classic will not be a wise decision. It doesn't have a VGT and has the same tuning as that of the Punto 1.3 multi-jet...
No wonder I found Classic very average while TDing! Probably, the MJD has taken my expectations to the next level.

Man, you should have a thread of yours with the details of ownership, comparisons with other cars (sounds you do know some good points) and also about the remap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
...Anyways, I am also looking at Linea as well.
I suggest you do a detailed TD of Linea if you plan to buy one. Or please get hold of a friend's Linea. I found some ergonomics issues with Linea which makes my shoulder pain after a 100 km drive. I own a Swift, so Dzire should be similar in driving and I used to do 600 kms drive (with short breaks) with absolutely NO fatigue.

Quote:
...GC of linea is much more than ford i was told.
Linea should be 185 mm Vs Classic's 158.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:51   #88
BANNED

The Ford India Website has been updated, WOO HOO, for guys on a budget and not much into daily driving, this is one of the best deals that you can go there and grab.

Happy Motoring !
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I do have a Figo. I think the GC is the same as Classic.
It is very sensitive to tyre pressure. For 1/2 people, Figo doesn't scrape any speedbreakers even at 32 psi all around. If you have more, then the tyre pressure needs to be 36 psi front, 40 psi rear. This is what the manual recommends. With the increased pressure, Figo doesn't scrape any speedbreakers.

One more thing I noticed is that with 32 psi and 4 people on board, the car feels slightly sluggish. This sluggish behavior is not there with the right pressure.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
I do have a Figo. I think the GC is the same as Classic.
It is very sensitive to tyre pressure. For 1/2 people, Figo doesn't scrape any speedbreakers even at 32 psi all around. If you have more, then the tyre pressure needs to be 36 psi front, 40 psi rear. This is what the manual recommends. With the increased pressure, Figo doesn't scrape any speedbreakers.

One more thing I noticed is that with 32 psi and 4 people on board, the car feels slightly sluggish. This sluggish behavior is not there with the right pressure.
I drive a Figo and have extensively driven it in Bangalore and have not scrapped even once. Yes, the GC is low and you need to keep this in mind, so while crossing over speed humps, one has to be very careful. Also, due to the slightly stiff suspension, the Figo shakes you to the bones when going on such bad roads.

On the Classic price reduction, I did visit Cauvery Ford last week and got the quote from them, below are the prices:

Classic 1.6 : (On Road) Base: 745147 Mid: 824957 Top: 904817
Classic 1.4 : (On Road) Base: 902373 Mid: 954486 Top: 1028419

Not sure if the prices have been further revised or what. Or I fail to spot any significant difference.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks