Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 16:48   #106
BHPian

Re: More powerful Tata Aria with 150PS & 320 Nm

I find it really interesting and amusing that when Tata upgrades it's vehicles based on market feedback its called testing done at customer's expense and when other brands do it, they are called proactive/listening to customers/improvements.

Disclaimer: No am not a Tata fan boy. Already driven enough Tata in my life and looking at other options
Old 13th March 2014, 18:27   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Test Drove the 2014 Aria today.
The dealer from Coimbatore travelled 100kms to my home for the test drive. He brought the Pure model which is the basic one as this was the only vehicle they received from the factory.

I have not test driven the previous Aria, so i cannot compare it . But i drove the XUV500 three days back and i was able to compare it.

Advantages of Aria :

1. Ride quality was good. Smooth ride on bad roads . Doesn't crash.
2. Clutch was so free and light , less strain on the left leg . Little stiff on the XUV.
3. Last row leg space better than XUV due to sliding middle row.
4. Good highway car to carry 7 people.
5. Better Boot space even after 3 rows in place.
6. Warranty : 3 Lakh /1,50,000 kms. Additional warranty 1 yr/ 50000 kms (The brochure in the website says 3yrs/1,00,000kms but the brochure which was given by the Representative says 3 lakh/1,50,000 kms. Clutch warranty is 70000kms)

Advantages of XUV :

1. Better looking than Aria.
2. More gizmos compared to the Aria, for the price.
3. Middle row better than aria as the floor hump is Nil .
4. More vehicles sold compared to the Aria.
5. 6 speed transmission.
Ok guys, I think i need to make a little correction here. An hour back test drove the 2014 XUV TD vehicle from the dealer. The previous XUV i drove was my client's and it was purchased around mid 2013 (bought before those updates and the brakes were changed by the service centre during their 1st service)

The new XUV seems to be improved a LOT . I took my friend who test drove the 1st Gen XUV and he too said that the new model is really good.
1. Clutch is lighter now and equally good to Aria.
2. Suspension improved over the previous model.
3. Braking is still not upto the satisfaction level compared to the Aria and the Innova. Grinding noise not there anymore.

Almost decided on the XUV now. Will be booking soon. Initially i was so much interested in the Aria. But couldnt convince my family members to buy the Aria instead of Xuv. Also test drove the innova today too and its good to carry 7 people and reliable and has good brakes. But, more noise, more strain on the engine made me say NO to the innova even though family members liked it. Interior quality gone down compared to the 1st Gen innova. So, it was only XUV vs Aria right from the beginning.

Just thinking, If i am not able to convince my family to take the Aria instead of XUV, it will be more difficult to convince the Innova customers .(just a personal thinking)

Also ARIA missed a variant here. There is a big difference in price between the Pleasure and Pride model . I am planning to book the W8 FWD which costs Rs. 16.15 OTR . Aria doesnt have a variant near to this price. Either Pleasure at 14.59 OTR or the Pride 4x4 at 17.35 OTR . They should have launched a Pride 4x2 just like the XUV W8 FWD and AWD.

Last edited by undead : 13th March 2014 at 18:28.
undead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 10:06   #108
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. Braking is still not upto the satisfaction level compared to the Aria and the Innova. Grinding noise not there anymore.
Are you sure about this braking? Car with ABS and EBD, braking is not upto the levels of cars without any ABS?
Old 14th March 2014, 10:44   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Are you sure about this braking? Car with ABS and EBD, braking is not upto the levels of cars without any ABS?
It's just NOT about ABS & EBD I believe, but more on the size of discs used, all around disc brakes, it's calibration etc. When I TDed XUV (before refinement), my friend did lock the tyres under hard braking. This was inspite of the ABS/EBD + All 4 disc brakes. He said that was the same case with another TD vehicle too (from another dealer).

Remember, initial lot of Fortuners underwent a free replacement to bigger disc as there were complaints on the braking ability (inspite of having ABS / EBD).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th March 2014 at 11:06.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 16:25   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Almost decided on the XUV now. Will be booking soon. Initially i was so much interested in the Aria. But couldnt convince my family members to buy the Aria instead of Xuv. Also test drove the innova today too and its good to carry 7 people and reliable and has good brakes. But, more noise, more strain on the engine made me say NO to the innova even though family members liked it. Interior quality gone down compared to the 1st Gen innova. So, it was only XUV vs Aria right from the beginning.

Also dont forget ARIA is a Body over Frame structure. i.e it has a chassis, rear AXLE - do consider that these are absent on the XUV, so dont feel as if you are getting XUV in lower cost.

Secondly XUV is a strict no off the road. Pathetic articulation. On uneven offroad one or the other wheel can always be seen in air loosing traction.

ARIA does offroad way better than XUV. On the climb too rear axle gives added advantage of push.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:52   #111
BHPian

I feel Tata should have done more cosmetic changes to the Aria like they did on the Vista and Indigo to churn out the superb looking Bolt and Zest. The current facelift is not going to bring in the volumes or uplift the image as the company would have hoped. The Aria looks bloated from several places and it needs a much better exterior.

With the XUV sales slowing down, the new looking Aria would have had a decent chance to gain customers. In it's current avatar, its a lost opportunity for Tata.
trek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 16:55   #112
BANNED

I feel Tata must get rid of that Indica/Vista design in all their cars.

They now have to get to the design board and make up something new that is not in their portfolio. The same looking cars are a bit boring and they seem to milk it to much.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 12:40   #113
rkg
Senior - BHPian

New ARIA timing belt comes with 2 lakh Km warranty
Turbo is new.
As per Concorde sales person.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI's comparison of the Aria with Innova & Xylo:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-375216.aspx/0

Parting Note:

Quote:
The 2014 Tata Aria Pride has a powerful engine, offers more space than the Toyota Innova and the Mahindra Xylo, and comes equipped with a lot more kit. And the top trim offers all-wheel drive at a lower price than the Toyota Innova. The Mahindra Xylo, despite a smaller features list, is over Rs 3 lakh cheaper than either rival, making it a difficult to ignore value proposition.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 21:28   #115
BHPian

Does anyone know the 0-100 on the New Aria, I am looking to buy an SUV and I need one with a good pulling power for effortless overtaking. I am confused between Aria, XUV500, Safari Storme, Rexton and Fortuner. Rexton feels too disconnected from the road and has a very pronounced rubber band effect in the Auto and I already own a fortuner so the latter two are there only if the first 3 dont work out.
Old 17th March 2014, 23:06   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Does anyone know the 0-100 on the New Aria, I am looking to buy an SUV and I need one with a good pulling power for effortless overtaking. I am confused between Aria, XUV500, Safari Storme, Rexton and Fortuner. Rexton feels too disconnected from the road and has a very pronounced rubber band effect in the Auto and I already own a fortuner so the latter two are there only if the first 3 dont work out.
Since you own a Fortuner already no point in looking at it again.

Rexton, I clueless of that car.

XUV 5OO is well known here is not much to write.

Aria is a nice car from Tata but pricey and their ASC's are nothing to write home about.

Safari Storme is another mean machine but again Tata.

My pick would be the XUV 5OO and Safari Storme. If you can handle Tata's ASC then fine but performance wise the XUV will be better.

Anurag.
Old 18th March 2014, 00:13   #117
BHPian

Only thing I fear from the XUV is that it's not that abuse friendly. I don't want to be going to mahindra everyday and mahindra in my city is bad and Tata people are actually very professional. But XUV has the performance advantage. That's y I was looking at aria because the torque band is huge now and the safari I am driving is fun to drive as soon as it enters the torque band but it pretty late. Entering the band at 1300-1500 should be like a rocket . So XUV and Aria are competing
Old 18th March 2014, 01:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol as Swiftnfurious mentioned, braking is also down to the size of discs, the kind of pads, calipers, calibration, lines etc. Also you do know what ABS is right; Anti-lock braking system. Means the brakes don't lock up, how is this achieved; by increasing and reducing the pressure on the brakes using a pump, valves and speed sensor. If you are experience enough, on a dry stretch, in a car without ABS, you will actually take less time and distance to stop than in the same car equipped with ABS. EBD, electronic brake force distribution, merely takes account of the brake bias and wear of the front to the back and balances it out to the ideal ratio. These are both technologies that make drastically shedding speed easier, especially in conditions where there is less traction available to the wheels. They do not make braking more powerful as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
In that case, please don't look at nought to hundred figures mate, you need to look at the in-gear acceleration figures eg: 40-80 in 3rd etc. and the toque band. I'm not a huge MUV/SUV person so I've only driven these cars on a handful of occasions and I can't remember which was better in this aspect but I hope I am steering you onto the right path for your search.

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th March 2014 at 01:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:22   #119
BHPian

Quote:
New ARIA timing belt comes with 2 lakh Km warranty
Turbo is new.
As per Concorde sales person.
Have you driven the new 2014 Aria? If you have how is the low end power and overall NVH? Is the new clutch an improvement over the older one? Eagerly waiting for the answers as our family has decided to go ahead with the new Aria but our dealer here doesn't sell it.

Last edited by damodar : 10th April 2014 at 15:23.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Have you driven the new 2014 Aria? If you have how is the low end power and overall NVH? Is the new clutch an improvement over the older one? Eagerly waiting for the answers as our family has decided to go ahead with the new Aria but our dealer here doesn't sell it.
I took a test drive of the new Aria in Mumbai and in traffic, i felt it to be same as the older version, but however, the engine "seemed and sounded" more refined that the previous gen one. I drove at 40 km/hr speed at the max. I could not get a chance to drive it in an open stretch.

- Sorry for this dumb question. If your delaer does not sell it, I am curious to know how you would buy it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks