Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 15:04   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Your calculation was really helpful.

I did a quick check based on that and assuming the Ex-showroom price to be around 5.6 lakhs back in 2011, the tax comes around Rs 63,504.

0.14*0.81*560000 = 63504.

60k is a substantial amount and I am not sure if it will be worth if I plan to have this car only for another year.
I suppose you have not added 11% cess value in the above calculated value.
In your case the total LTT will be 63504 + 0.11* 63504 = 70489.44

Please see post # 381 in page 26

Last edited by suresh_gs : 20th June 2014 at 15:06.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 15:15   #437
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It may NOT be worth if you plan to keep the car ONLY for a year (even if you pay the KA taxes). Else that would be a wise move to use the car a lot more to take advantage of the tax paid.
I was planning to change my car this year. I was looking at either Linea T-Jet or Rapid TDI. But then, I thought I will remap the Figo's ECU and use it for an year at least. But after today, I am going back to my original plan.

I love my car and except for the fact it is under powered, I have absolutely no concerns about it. So if I plan to enjoy my car for another year or two, I would have to spend about a lac now(road tax + Tune O tronics remap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I suppose you have not added 11% cess value in the above calculated value.
In your case the total LTT will be 63504 + 0.11* 63504 = 70489.44

Please see post # 381 in page 26
Adding more salt to the wound. Just kidding. You are right. I missed the cess tax.

More than the money, it is the mental tension I am worried about. The TN badge in my car is causing more and more troubles.
Old 20th June 2014, 15:26   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I was planning to change my car this year. I was looking at either Linea T-Jet or Rapid TDI. But then, I thought I will remap the Figo's ECU and use it for an year at least. But after today, I am going back to my original plan.

I love my car and except for the fact it is under powered, I have absolutely no concerns about it. So if I plan to enjoy my car for another year or two, I would have to spend about a lac now(road tax + Tune O tronics remap).

Adding more salt to the wound. Just kidding. You are right. I missed the cess tax.

More than the money, it is the mental tension I am worried about. The TN badge in my car is causing more and more troubles.
If you plan to keep your car for close to 1 year then shelling out 70K is not practical. In my case the amount i paid as LTT in KA was a shade more than the actual LTT i paid in TN.
Moreover i do not have any plans of selling my car in the near future (2-3 years).
In your case if you are very much particular about your beloved car, then might as well keep it in chennai and then buy a 2nd hand car in KA or else simply pay the road tax in KA for your TN car.
I know 70K is not a small amount. In future if you plan to sell your vehicle, then the added advantage of having paid road tax in 2 states comes in handy especially if the third party is a techie or a private car operator especially in the latter case.
Old 20th June 2014, 21:01   #439
BHPian

I was stopped yesterday behind electronic city (Wipro Gate) in my KL registered Indigo CS, they took all my documents (RC book copy, Insurance papers orginal & Drivers License original) and asked me to come to the B'ghtta road RTO office. After spending an hour there today haggling, I was told that the LTT on my car (2009 model) comes to Rs.50250. The car is in the name of my Father-in-law, he's currently asked me not to pay till he figures it out with a lawyer.

I was caught last month also at the same location and I'd escaped by showing some TN checkpost toll receipts, but it did not work this time. What upset me the most is that after the last time, I'd wanted to take colour xerox of my DL and Insurance papers & keep it in the car so that if they got seized I'd be able to walk away. But I got lazy and paid the price.
Old 20th June 2014, 21:16   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
I was caught last month also at the same location and I'd escaped by showing some TN checkpost toll receipts, but it did not work this time. What upset me the most is that after the last time, I'd wanted to take colour xerox of my DL and Insurance papers & keep it in the car so that if they got seized I'd be able to walk away. But I got lazy and paid the price.
Why did not the toll gate trick work this time?

And would you be able to walk away, even if you had only copies of the driving license and Insurance?? Won't they track you down or something?
Old 20th June 2014, 21:52   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Why did not the toll gate trick work this time?
I have heard that there were instances where they had thrown the receipts saying that you guys are good in finding different excuses.

Quote:
And would you be able to walk away, even if you had only copies of the driving license and Insurance?? Won't they track you down or something?
Their jurisdiction ends at the karnataka border. Moreover they cant do anything based on the copies of a document. Yes, they can note down the regn number so that the next time we cannot say "just came to bangalore" or "on the way from other state"
Old 20th June 2014, 22:09   #442
BHPian

We seriously have become a country where judiciary and executive are ruling the country!

All these hoopla can be easily settled by just a declaration mechanism at the RTO checkpost. When a vehicle registered in State A moves to State B, the RTO checkpost can mark it. When a State B vehicle moves to State A, this can be cancelled out. When the net count is highly varying each state can transfer/share tax amount themselves.

After all our executive mechanism is busy creating new laws to cause more nuisance to public instead of finding simple solutions! Filling coffer is the only motive they have it seems!

KeSRTC and KaSRTC uses this method quite effectively in granting permissions to ply buses in each state! Then why not for private vehicles!

We should ask for an MP seat in RajyaSabha from TeamBhp to address concerns of motorists!
Old 20th June 2014, 22:43   #443
BHPian

Re: Beware out of state cars : RTO (Bangalore) taxation rule amendment from Feb28 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
And how are they going to decide whether a car has stayed in Karnataka for more than one month? It may be a naive question, but I would like to understand this.
Come on, man! That is naive.

The unwritten law that applies to "regular" Indian citizens applies here as well: You are guilty until proven otherwise.
Old 20th June 2014, 23:35   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Wednesday, found them just before Marthahalli bridge on outer ring road.

Btw, anybody have the tax structure for older vehicles? The chart available few pages back shows only up to six years.
I drive from Hyderabad to Bangalore several times every year. this is scary.

Are they demanding bribes?
Old 21st June 2014, 08:51   #445
Senior - BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../36902453.cms?
Bangalore Mirror story on the crackdown
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 09:34   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was asked if I had any recent petrol bill procured from a Maharashtra bunk. I wasn't carrying any such bill. I then asked if I could show a recent toll receipt. Many of us know that the ink used in these toll receipts are of such poor quality that it gets erased very quickly. But the quizzing went on and on. I was asked to show vehicle service receipts. I have not serviced my vehicle for more than a year. As I didn't have any proof, my vehicle was seized
Source: Above news article.

I would they, the RTO chaps were reasonable in their discretion.
Old 21st June 2014, 15:29   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
I was stopped yesterday behind electronic city (Wipro Gate) in my KL registered Indigo CS, they took all my documents (RC book copy, Insurance papers orginal & Drivers License original) and asked me to come to the B'ghtta road RTO office. After spending an hour there today haggling, I was told that the LTT on my car (2009 model) comes to Rs.50250. The car is in the name of my Father-in-law, he's currently asked me not to pay till he figures it out with a lawyer.
Not an easy task. I had gone through the same situation earlier with my Honda city. Was asked to pay Rs70k for the 8 yr old car. Once they have the originals, issue a ticket and make the entry in the database, then its slightly difficult. It took me around a months time to get things sorted out and that too with a good amount of political help. Finally had to give an notary attested affidavit stating I would be taking the car back to Kerala for sale purpose immediately and pay an annual tax of 2000Rs. But then it all depends on the RTO head to allow this or not and that is where the political interference helped.

The only other option is taking the car back to kerala and getting all the documents again. But then with the original RC book with the RTO here, you never know if any future legal issues might crop up later.

This is a major headache again. My current car is also KL registration. And I understand from the news article the grace period is just 30 days comparing to 1 yr earlier. I used to travel to kerala every 3-4 months and get the required fuel and toll bills. But with the 30 day period this makes it hard. I think a case needs to be filed against such a short grace period. It makes it difficult for anyone to bring their cars to Bangalore for a short stay like 2-3 months. If I remember correctly long back some one from Goa had filed a similar case and thats how the 1yr grace period was provided. If you are planning to take some lawyers help, check out if any such thing can be done. May not be easy but still a long shot. Infact all affected or potential parties could pitch in and share the legal costs.

FundaG
Old 21st June 2014, 20:00   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

If I have an out of station car that I want to use in Bangalore for say 6 months only, I will have to pay LTT in Karnataka as per the new law. Straightforward task, given that we have the calculations in this thread. However I would be left with LTT from 2 states (Assuming I don't go back to my state of purchase and get a refund on the original when I register in Karnataka because I plan on returning soon).

What if I want to leave Bangalore in say 6 / 12 / 18 / X number of months after paying LTT in Karnataka? Can I recover the LTT from Karnataka by getting an NOC from the Bangalore RTO? If so how much will get refunded? Does anyone have the calculation for this?
Old 22nd June 2014, 14:40   #449
BHPian

Friends, I have a doubt. What would happen in the case of a vehicle which is hypothecated to a bank in a state and is stopped by RTO's in Karnataka since I doubt if any RTO would give an NOC in such a case right.

Any ideas.
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:47   #450
BHPian

>>>

What happens if I drive from Maharashtra to Bangalore for a five day trip?

How do I prove that I will be in Bangalore for just those five days and will be exiting Bangalore (and Karnataka) immediately afterwards?

Will preserving all the toll receipts picked up between Bombay to Bangalore be clinching evidence?

Regards
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks