Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 19:16   #16
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

I really want to buy this car and want to ask Fiat owners about the after-sales and servicing of Fiat cars.
Is it as big a problem as it is made out to be?
Or is it manageable?
I really need some help guys so please help me out by sharing your experiences with Fiat.
Thanks in advance
Old 29th July 2014, 20:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Front end now looks like just another car. The old design was clean and timeless. Good job with the subtle changes at the back and also the interiors.

Has anyone else noticed a clear trend in interior design of cars? Tata Zest/Bolt, new Toyota Corolla and now Fiat Punto - all of them seem to have a "multi-layered" dash. This trend started with the new BMW 3 series.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 20:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
I really want to buy this car and want to ask Fiat owners about the after-sales and servicing of Fiat cars.
Is it as big a problem as it is made out to be?
Or is it manageable?
I really need some help guys so please help me out by sharing your experiences with Fiat.
Thanks in advance
Been a happy Punto user for over 4 years now. Have got the car serviced in Pune, Mumbai & Delhi without a hitch so far.
Silverfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo - A Close Look

Thanks S2!!! for the Official-esque review. Good eye for detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The music system has a glossy black finish but surprisingly, it didn't seem to be a finger-print magnet.
Thats really a surprsing thing, have to check it out

Quote:
Storage area above the central air-con vents is useful. 'Click' sound while opening / closing sounds cheap and plasticky:
It must be like the current Puntos' cover for the storage above the glove box (Active and Dynamic only). Many people have this problem when they sit in my car. They press click (at the centre) to open. But when closing, they just shut it, hoping it will lock. Once they fail, they bang it harder but still can't lock it.
Its designed to lock by pressing in the same way as you have to press open it(at the centre).

Quote:
Leather-wrapped steering wheel is meaty and feels lovely to hold. It has tilt adjustment, but the range is too limited:
They should have added a telescopic adjustment too IMO.

Quote:
Small storage bin for the driver (RHS of the dashboard):
Nice addition...Looks like it is inspired by the cup holders that we find on Swift/Dzire

Quote:
Front door can squeeze in a 1L bottle, but only horizontally!
That's effectively no 1ltr bottle holder. the door pad is completely unchanged.

Quote:
One of the rear seatbelts failed to lock into its slot:
Probably you put it into the wrong lock. Each seat belt's hook and its lock is distinct pair. You can't put the right side belt's hook into the centre lock or the centre belt's hook into the right side lock. Since the locks are passed from the boot through the seats, there's always a possibility of interchanging this. The locks of the right side and the centre belts are close to each other.
If you see the right side of the below picture, you can see the locks fixed to the boot floor behind the seats. When you fold the seats back, the chances of exchanging these locks increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Is it as big a problem as it is made out to be? Or is it manageable?
Its not about of what it is made out to be, but it is actually what you make of it.
Some people will rate a service centre as 'useless' for as small a problem as not being offered a glass of water when they enter the facility while others ,will even compromise with something more significant than a cup of water.
If you ask me, the experience is not a "WOW!!!" but definitely not a "CRAP!!!" too.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th July 2014 at 21:14.
hemanth.anand is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:28   #20
BHPian

Areas where improvements/changes would have been welcome:

1. Personally I feel that the steering wheel feels out of place and does not gel well with the new look dash. Since I have not seen any comment on the driving position, I assume that the “in your face” position of the steering continues.
2. Fiat should have changed the design of the door plastics for an up-market feel. As rightly pointed out, the inside door opening lever feels substandard.
3. The driver seat height adjust offered on the outgoing Punto was actually just a change in the seat inclination. Is it the same for the Evo?
4. Since the dash still eats up precious cabin area, the rear passengers have limited leg space. The car looks “long” on the outside but corresponding cabin space is poor.
5. Although ground clearance is essential in most parts of the country, I prefer the older ride height. The additional height robs the car of its looks. I drive the 2009 model and never had ground clearance issues in my hometown (Goa). Any ways to reduce the height without compromising on safety?
6. And FIAT, please introduce the 1.6 MJD engines.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Front looks similar to the FORD KA, I dont like the front anymore. They have spoiled it. They should have discontinued the 1.3 L 75HP tune and concentrated more on pricing the 1.3L 90HP aggressively.
Multi Air petrol engines are still no where to be seen. Overall lazy approach by FIAT, but can we expect anything better from them.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Punto evo is more matured and should appeal to Indians more than the existing Punto.

I find its styling aggressive and screaming and that's exactly what we like in India.

Yes agree that Polo 2014 vs Punto Evo, the engine and the gearbox is a relative sore point but otherwise I think it beats the Polo 2014.

What is the definition of built quality - is it the plastics or the body built ?
My Punto is 4 yrs and 90000 kms old and still no rattles .... yes my height adjustment lever too broke but only after 3.5 yrs of use and to the surprise of many a new lever costed me only Rs. 68/-.

No doubt, Punto evo would be priced 70k cheaper than the Polo and Punto engines are not as sad as its made out to be, but just low on performance in the 1st and 2nd gears in comparision and to an extent its the gear ratios and also the heavy weight of the car.

Yes VW did a good job with Polo 2014 and respect them for this strategy, but earlier they looted the Indians with their German Engineering tagline hype, with the old Polo engines and trust me they were more plain and jade in comparision to the entire competition.

My view is that both Polo 2014 and Punto Evo make a strong case for themselves overall and others fall behind now but its the individual preference and the VFM preposition as a decisive factor for any prospective customer.

I agree I am a Fiat fan and love my current drive to the core and its bcoz that my Italian beauty has won me over / amazed me many times in my ownership of last 4 yrs / 90K run
namit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 23:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Its a welcome update. Not because it looks better than the old one, but a change was much needed. And the interior updates looks pretty good.

I was wondering why Fiat did not consider the international face of the Evo here. But with the region specific Avventura in the offing, this makes sense. A bit of extra cladding and some visual updates, the Avventura is done - much like the Polo and Cross-polo.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 23:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Its a welcome update. Not because it looks better than the old one, but a change was much needed. And the interior updates looks pretty good.

I was wondering why Fiat did not consider the international face of the Evo here. But with the region specific Avventura in the offing, this makes sense. A bit of extra cladding and some visual updates, the Avventura is done - much like the Polo and Cross-polo.
Making it similar to Avventura has its benefit of parts sharing and cost synergies with whatever volumes they will be able to make. Another reason I see is they need the European version of punto evo for the Abarth for visual differentiation.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 23:32   #25
BHPian

The car looks great in skin and interiors, though I prefer the older (more classic) front look.

With no offense to existing owners, for me Fiat brand name is synonymous with lost opportunities. I don't ever come across my friends or family considering the Fiat even for one instant while thinking of new car purchase. This for a brand that has been in India for ages is disappointing. IMO for Fiat, The products themselves were never the problem. The lack of range of products and negativity around service and brand survival is. Hoping they have a good action plan in place to regain lost ground in Indian market and can do what Yamaha was able to with respect to two wheeler space in India.
Old 30th July 2014, 00:53   #26
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the pics and details. While i am impressed with the fresh interiors, I think it has slightly lost its way of being unique with newly designed [?] head lamps and new grill. It may be just that I am so used to seeing old one, but some how the new face does not seem to impress me a lot. I wish they had thought of LED headlamps like its European version.

Agree with vineshpikale, Fiat seems to be struggling with getting best out of their own mills.
Old 30th July 2014, 08:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo - A Close Look

Quote:
Gear throws are vague & rubbery. It's not a gearbox that allows you to shift aggressively
Fiat could have really worked on this long time pending issue. This is a deal breaker.

Quote:
Sound quality is typical OEM stuff.
Why is Fiat still providing 1 Din HU's? Why cant they get a good 2 Din system installed. I hope the speakers are atleast good quality coz the first thing to be chucked out are the speakers IMO.

Quote:
Each air-con vent has individual air flow control
The rotary vent should have provided for the central vents too, would have saved some space. I hope the quality of the vents are upto the mark unlike the present Punto

Quote:
Door handles feel flimsy to operate.
Driver's seat comes with height adjustment. However, the lever broke off during the media drives. In this image, notice the uneven gap around the horn pad. Fit & finish still not up to the mark
A major factor ignored by Fiat. This definitely should have been considered looking into amounts of plastic spares being replaced all across Fiat workshops. I dread sometimes to operate the seat adjustment lever for the precise reason that it will be in my hand next time. How about the boot opening/fuel filler opening levers? Are they still the same feeling as in the existing Punto?

Quote:
Steel rim spare is a smaller 165/80 R14 size
Dont understand Fiat's logic here. For higher sized rims whats the point in providing lower sized spares?
Old 30th July 2014, 08:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good in this new avatar, atleast for those who are in the market and plan to buy a premium hatch must pay a visit to the FIAT Showrooms now.

The car is structurally safe than most of the hatches sold in India (I remember people referring Punto and Linea to be known for being Tanks !). The inside design is now good and at par with other cars.

A 1.3 MJD with 90 PS tune is a good buy. I have seen a service quality improvement also and more so the spares are available easily (though at dealership only) and are reasonably priced.

Good luck FIAT.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 09:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Yes agree that Polo 2014 vs Punto Evo, the engine and the gearbox is a relative sore point but otherwise I think it beats the Polo 2014.

My view is that both Polo 2014 and Punto Evo make a strong case for themselves overall and others fall behind now but its the individual preference and the VFM preposition as a decisive factor for any prospective customer.
n
Agree 100%. I would've bought the Punto if there were more engine options. Booked a GT TSi instead. To me, at the end of the day, the engine and the gearbox are the heart of the matter.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people want Fiat to do well in India. Including myself. Except for Fiat themselves.. I hope it will not be too late for them, when they realise this and all other manufacturers, who source their engines from FIAT, start deploying their own engines..

Change now, Fiat. Just design changes isn't going to win you more customers.

Last edited by k_ajay : 30th July 2014 at 10:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks