Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 10:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Fiat definitely has worked on the weaker areas especially the interiors and upgraded the exteriors to match the going trend in the market for swept back headlamps, chrome and more chrome.

The fly in the ointment is the power train, the capable engines are looking not so great because of the gearbox. Though the shift is improved from the pre facelift version, the rubbery shifts and the long clutch should have been fixed with the facelift.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:26   #32
BANNED

I am interested that so many commenters are focussing on the engine "performance", which is not something that the majority of city drivers care much about (ride quality and comfort are much more important), but there has been essentially zero discussion (on this or the previous thread) on one factor where there the Punto does clearly fall behind: turning radius. It is 4.94m for the Polo, 4.9 for the Figo, 4.8 for the swift, 4.7 for the Uno (my previous car), and 5.4m for the Punto! This makes a huge and immediately obvious difference to anyone who test-drives a Punto, including me initially. I won't be surprised if this is a major factor holding back Punto sales already. However, I expect it would be very hard for Fiat to change this, especially while maintaining the ride quality.
rsidd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:28   #33
BHPian

Thanks S2!!! for a crisp update. Really nice and to the point.

Though the engines-transmissions are same as earlier, the ride and handling could be different due to different dimensions, set-ups and ground clearance, etc. Any feedback on this? I would be keen to know whether FIAT could reduce the turning radius.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pictures and short review, S2 and Aditya.

Us current owners are eager to swap the tail-lamps, hell yeah, but we might get the canbus error and the check light warning on the instrument cluster full-time, since this unit is an LED unit. Unless the resistors are integrated at the tail-lamp level and the EVO retains the same BCM unit of erstwhile Punto, we are bound to get that error.

The horn pad sits that way for all airbag equipped variants, that is how it is in the outgoing Punto/Linea as well.

Also the passenger airbag deactivation setting is present in the outgoing Punto as well.

Most european hatches have just one reverse lamp and rear foglamp combo, for the lack of space in the existing tail-lamp clusters.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 30th July 2014 at 10:34.
DRIV3R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

A lot of members have requested more information on the performance from the 75 bhp 1.3L motor.

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-20140725-15.52.04.jpg

Well, drivability feels no different than the outgoing car. There is still a hint of turbo lag till ~1,900 RPM. Once in the turbo zone, tap the accelerator pedal and you will notice that there is no aggressive power delivery, but a linear surge of torque that pulls you forward. You do need to work the gears to get anywhere quickly; and honestly, the rubbery, vague gearbox dampens the fun. 100km/hr in 5th gear comes in at 2,300 RPM which is the same as before. It is the engine, tyre and wind noise that actually make you realise the speed you are travelling at. However, if not for these, the Punto's high kerb weight masks the speed really well.

Road imperfection do filter in at low speeds and you notice the typical European stiffness of the car but what is truly amazing is the high speed ride of the car. It literally irons out the road and feels flat and composed. I haven't driven the older Punto extensively but the newer one is arguably one of the better corner carvers on this side of 10 lakh rupees. The excellent brakes need a special mention; coupled with ABS and EBD the brakes inspire confidence at all times; at all speeds.

Hope this clears the question about the Punto's drivability and ride and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

It must be like the current Puntos' cover for the storage above the glove box (Active and Dynamic only). Many people have this problem when they sit in my car. They press click (at the centre) to open. But when closing, they just shut it, hoping it will lock. Once they fail, they bang it harder but still can't lock it.
Its designed to lock by pressing in the same way as you have to press open it(at the centre).

...Probably you put it into the wrong lock.
The storage compartment above the central aircon vents opens and closes normally. It is the 'click' sound on opening and closing which sounds annoying.

The rear seat belt slots as you rightly pointed out, may have got exchanged when the rear seat was folded.

We've updated it in the review.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2014 at 16:37. Reason: Mentioning that the seat belt point has been updated in the review.
S2!!! is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:01   #36
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo - A Close Look

With the improved interiors, Punto Evo suits all my requirements. However, I would have preferred a full sized spare. Anyways, great job Fiat. This face lift was a long pending one. Also, I like the new rear lights.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:20   #37
BHPian

Has anyone test driven the Punto Evo 1.4 petrol?

If this has sufficient pull on the highways & slopes with decent fuel efficiency say around 12-13 kmpl this can be a very good buy with all the equipment & style on offer.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:25   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp review. I liked the looks of older one better. Sweet observation on the reverse gear and the rear wipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Steel rim spare is a smaller 165/80 R14 size. Don't go over 80 kph on the spare:
Looks bit weird to me. Why R14 on the spare? Why not R15?
Vahanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:30   #39
BHPian

The quality of plastics and the finish of some of the plastics was what I had commented on in the linea thread. I had specifically mentioned that the seat hight adjuster piece felt cheap and easily breakable. Sad that better quality plastics are not being used by fiat.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

The have ruined the classic look of the Punto.

Fiat has managed this feat for the third time in a row, the other two cases are as below:

Case 1:

The Beautiful Fiat Palio NV
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-palio-old.jpg

Replaced with the Palio Stile. They not only spoilt the timeless design but also plonked an inferior 1.1 lt laggard on on engine effectively killing the legacy

The Stile- an unworthy successor

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-fiat-palio-stile.jpg

2) Case 2:

The Linea: Even though they have ths offering as the Linea Classic with reduced features and lower spec tyres, it now is a segment lower.

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-fiatlinea.jpg

The renewed Fiat Linea isnt a looker any more and the grilles do not gel with the body at all. Fiat killed a great looker with this update!

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-new-linea.jpg

PS: A handle coming off during media drive. So much for QA and QC!!
arnabchak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I am interested that so many commenters are focussing on the engine "performance", which is not something that the majority of city drivers care much about (ride quality and comfort are much more important), but there has been essentially zero discussion (on this or the previous thread) on one factor where there the Punto does clearly fall behind: turning radius. It is 4.94m for the Polo, 4.9 for the Figo, 4.8 for the swift, 4.7 for the Uno (my previous car), and 5.4m for the Punto! This makes a huge and immediately obvious difference to anyone who test-drives a Punto, including me initially. I won't be surprised if this is a major factor holding back Punto sales already. However, I expect it would be very hard for Fiat to change this, especially while maintaining the ride quality.
With the ground clearance update in 2012, the Punto's turning radius was reduced from 5.4M to 5M which is very much on par with the segment albeit being slightly higher. The pre 2012 Punto did have the 5.4M turning radius.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:01   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
5.4m for the Punto!
As Nrishnap commented, the turning radius has been reduced.

However, relevant to your post, here's why the Punto isn't considered by the masses:

- Light controls. The masses love them. The Punto has a heavy steering, long clutch & messed up ergonomics. It's hardly the easiest car to drive in the city.

- Old model. It's now 5 years old in a market where the likes of Maruti & Hyundai launch product after product. We've seen a blitzkrieg of new cars from other brands too.

- Interior fit & finish. Sat in a Grand i10 lately?

- Fiat's reputation. Once a brand name is damaged, it is very, very hard to build it back. Not just Fiat, Tata & Skoda are also suffering from the same problem.

At best, these facelifts & design changes will help Fiat maintain its current (low) sales levels. I don't expect any improvement after the initial period.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Dont understand Fiat's logic here. For higher sized rims whats the point in providing lower sized spares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post

Looks bit weird to me. Why R14 on the spare? Why not R15?
The spare tyre is the same size as that on the Punto Active model i.e. 165/80 R14. Keeping a check on costs is the only reason that quickly comes to my mind. However, it is interesting to note that the earlier batch of the Punto came with 15" steel spare wheels but since 2012, Fiat has downsized the spare wheel size from 15" steel wheel to 14" as well.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-20140725-15.46.38.jpg  

S2!!! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:26   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Old model. It's now 5 years old in a market where the likes of Maruti & Hyundai launch product after product. We've seen a blitzkrieg of new cars from other brands too.
Yes and no. It took 10 years for Maruti to launch an update to the Swift. The Santro still sells. The i10 and i20 were launched before the Punto and have seen minimal updates. However, these models did well in the market, plus these manufacturers (and others) had much larger portfolios, so they could survive without updating their poorer sellers (A-Star, SX4, which also were/are around for years without updates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Fiat's reputation. Once a brand name is damaged, it is very, very hard to build it back. Not just Fiat, Tata & Skoda are also suffering from the same problem.
True enough, but Fiat's seems to be improving -- at least, the uptick in sales after the Tata divorce was dramatic, especially given the absence of new models. Meanwhile, VW may be heading to the "poor reputation" camp too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Punto sell comparably to the Polo by the end of the year.
rsidd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:31   #45
BHPian

Nice refresh-both the Punto and the Linea but i still love the old versions of both models.
I don't know but think these both are lost causes, Fiat should stop this and get new models if they really want to make a dent in the market. This is only going to get them traction-if they launch something new that is as beautiful as the punto/linea they shall see footfalls to their showrooms which they can use to show people, the turnaround of their act. If the new model succeeds then the Linea or the Punto have any chance of regaining the market.
I don't see the people buying a severe deprecating asset like the Punto or the Linea apart from die hard fans or the ones who plan to keep them forever. A friend brought a 2012 Linea emotion diesel for 3.5 lakhs! Thats 7 lakhs burned in just two years!who can afford a loss like that?i do plan to buy a ferrai red Punto one day (a second hand one) and enjoy the beauty as long as i wish-i still think its the one of the most beautiful thing running on our roads today!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks