Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

The Combo of Engine + Transmission looks tempting, But the million dollar question still remains. Is it Reliable?
My Question - Are you ready to fight Skoda ???
NaveenKBorra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You definitely will! Our resident DSG expert - Anshuman - is going to test the Rapid Diesel DSG. As an owner of the Laura DSG, he has ample experience with the gearbox tech.
Can you share when we can expect the official review. Eagerly waiting for it. Been reading several reviews on the web and found most of them to be vague and as a reader aptly commented on one of those articles - wishy washy
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It is going to be interesting to see the condition of all the post-warranty DSG equipped cars owned by unsuspecting B,C segment car buyers. Check this out (especially comments section):

http://paultan.org/2013/10/11/volkswagen-drop-dsg/
Well I am no car expert. To me, most of these terms come across as too confusing, hence please pardon my naivety. Now, having read the entire thread, I have to admit that like any prospective buyer I am interested in getting the best value for money product. To me, the rapid and Vento have always come across as appealing propositions, with the new DSG box, even more so. But having read the entire article quoted above (VW malaysia) and the comments section plus the knowledge of the plight of many Superb owners, does it make sense to trust the manufacturer's claim about improvements to the same DSG box that has severely dented VW brand in Malaysia? Agreed that in Europe and Ireland and other Western countries DSG boxes are a different story altogether but wasnt that the case from day 1? Lastly, it is my understanding that the current DSG boxes are unreliable at best. If the manufacturer's claims of making improvements are true, then why haven't they replaced the faulty equipment with affected buyers first rather open up a new product line altogether? Again these are just my thoughts, pardon the naivety once again.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:43   #34
BHPian

Boy this sure adds to the dilemma on which one to replace the current Vento with! It will eventually boil down to the pricing I guess especially on how much of a premium VW really wants to charge just for a different badge.

Like I've mentioned on the Vento DSG thread I don't really care about the difference in interior features between the Rapid and Vento.

The only real differentiator will be whether Skoda is allowed to launch the Rapid TSI in competition to the Vento TSI which I really doubt. I feel the Vento TSI and Rapid TDI DSG will be priced fairly closely given the brand positioning.

Anything above 25-30k difference for what is essentially the same car doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
On a side note, love the alloy wheel design on the refreshed Rapid (non black edition). Attaching pic for reference (Source: motoroids)
Totally with you on this one. The black edition didn't really excite me one bit and I was hoping there would be an understated one and this one is just perfect. I too quite like this alloy design over the one on the Vento.

Rapid seems to be ahead at the moment on my list however pricing is the key for this one!

Edit: Autocarindia reports that the Rapid TDI DSG will be available in 3 trims Ambition, Ambition Plus and Elegance (4 if you count the black edition). This should make it even more affordable. I am guessing Skoda wants a potential Zest diesel automatic owner to contemplate going in for the Rapid. The Verna diesel automatic is as good as dead with the arrival of the twins from the VW stable.

Last edited by miharbe : 23rd September 2014 at 23:51.
Old 24th September 2014, 10:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Most of the studies conclude that average Indian keeps a car for 5 - 6 years and thus with the new trend of 4 - 5 years of warranty gives enough comfort to the buyers on promises made by the manufacturer pertaining to product quality and reliability.

Specifically in the case of VW / Skoda with diesel DSG and the failure stories of products from couple of segments above the mass market range, which are want to experiment with now through autobox, it is necessary for them to consider:

- longer warranty on gearbox
- Possibility of keeping refurbished units (along side new units) as part of dealer inventory for quick repairs (with fixed cost announced for DSG boxes); say for example Toyota Smile, Ford standard service - I don't know but something similar would give confidence to buyers to take a punt and go for diesel DSG with less of hesitation.

Cheers
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 11:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
True, this indeed will be the make-or-break DSG business for VAG in India. Just one model (Superb) was enough to trouble them big-time; along with the Superb and Octavia, they now will have a range of mass-market cars with 7-speed DSG - Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI/TDI, and the Rapid TDI. The game is on!
you forgot the Laura 1.8 TSI automatic. it has the same gearbox, and the day I test drove it, it was the car I wanted. then it was the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG and currently the A3 with same 1.8 TSI engine and DSG is object of desire.
The combo of that 1.8 TSI engine and DSG is brilliant.

Aside, VW has beaten Skoda to the line and launched their new offerings in Vento. its up on their website.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 11:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Aside, VW has beaten Skoda to the line and launched their new offerings in Vento. its up on their website.
Not sure it was a race or a coincidence. The stated official launch dates has been 24th Sept for the Vento and 25th Sept for the Rapid.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Here are the engine, gearbox and variant options for the new Vento.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-untitled.png  

Old 24th September 2014, 13:14   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
you forgot the Laura 1.8 TSI automatic.
Yes, but that was made available only at the end of Laura's life-cycle (around early 2013), and then got subsequently replaced by the next gen i.e.; the Octavia
Old 24th September 2014, 13:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Reliability concerns aside, this is great news for the mid segment diesel car buyer. There are hardly any AT diesel options right now. Apart from the Hyundai Verna, there is nothing if I am right. The 7 DSG with the 1.5 TDi should be a very potent combination.

I can undertstand the reliability concerns that everybody seems to have. But if they've taken care of long term reliability this is a great combination in a mid segment car. Nothing else in the segment comes anywhere close.

The fact that VW are willing to equip mass market cars with this gear box does speak about their confidence about its reliability. Of course only time will tell whether they have really fixed the bugs. But one thing's for sure, DSG failures in post 2012 cars are very very rare.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th September 2014 at 13:44.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to find the old 1.6 n/a unit still listed. I thought the Tsi was the replacement for the not so exciting or popular 1.6 mill.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2014 at 14:32. Reason: Typos
Old 24th September 2014, 15:45   #42
BHPian

Great to see this news. This will definitely be a boon for urban users struggling in chaotic traffic conditions day in and day out.

However, what I would have also loved to see is the option to get 1.6L engine with DSG. The current engine is a gem in terms of performance, reliability and mileage. I am sure there are many users who will go with this option if made available.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:10   #43
BHPian

Were there any DSG failures reported on the Vento/Polo TSi? If not, I think we can safely guess that the DSG horror days are behind us.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Were there any DSG failures reported on the Vento/Polo TSi? If not, I think we can safely guess that the DSG horror days are behind us.
My dealer, who have 3 showrooms in Delhi NCR, mentioned that here was one failure on a GT TSI, but the same was replaced under warranty.
lalittalwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 16:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
My dealer, who have 3 showrooms in Delhi NCR, mentioned that here was one failure on a GT TSI, but the same was replaced under warranty.
I think its not about the replacement under warranty, a basic reliableness should be there in a vehicle. looks like they are very confident this time with DSG. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks