Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 11:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

I think I need to clear the record. I love drivers cars and therefore bought the Fiesta (2012) when no one was buying it.
For the record I had written that Polo GT Tsi felt more fun then an Audi A4. The DSG is a quick gearbox no doubt and though the engines are fairly standard its the gearbox that does the trick imo.

However I also love cars that are reliable, easy to maintain and are with the times (global refresh). The Vento and Rapid are mere cosmetic bumper light jobs and not a proper facelift that is available internationally. The cars are showing their age, and apart from engine and gearbox combo don't have much to offer. VW/Skoda need to get their India strategy right. I feel they are just not ready for long-term investment and commitment and launching products half heartedly which is not going to work.

For the record, I loved the new Octavia and would have blindly gone for it but 2 things:

1. Concern for reliability that I couldn't turn a blind eye too
2. Extremely poor resale value because of point number 1

Add to that they just kept increasing the prices. I am sure there are many customers like me who have been turned off. The way things are going, I find it extremely likely that Skoda may shut shop in India in a few years. I would be happy to be proven wrong and them positively surprising me.

Last edited by aseem : 27th September 2014 at 11:04.
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 14:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
VW/Skoda need to get their India strategy right. I feel they are just not ready for long-term investment and commitment and launching products half heartedly which is not going to work.
Cannot agree more. During the press meet following the Skoda facelift launch, Sudhir Rao said they are scaling back their investments in India due to strict anti-competition laws

Further, he said the Skoda revamp originally planned during 2015 will now be pushed out by another three years

Please see the source below.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...nties/43490524
Old 27th September 2014, 15:45   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
In India its better to stick to things that 'work' in India...
Whatever you mentioned about puny tyres and this and that and all that, atleast that has a history of lasting lakhs of kilometers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The Vento and Rapid are mere cosmetic bumper light jobs and not a proper facelift that is available internationally. The cars are showing their age, and apart from engine and gearbox combo don't have much to offer.
Well this is precisely the reason why the highest selling limited edition in India is probably the Swift RS. Some cheap skirting kit,painted wheel covers to look like alloys, gawdy blue paint splattered everywhere including the seats and a music system is all that is needed.

Swift Really Stupid edition !
Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-swiftrsbumper.jpg

I am sure the Honda Amaze Type R or whatever they call it for India will be equally exciting for a petrol-head.
robimahanta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:20   #94
BHPian

Reliable or Non reliable Gear Box, Time will prove. Some pics for viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-sr1.jpg  

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-sr2.jpg  

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-sr3.jpg  

abhilashvk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 20:06   #95
Senior - BHPian

Well the black package is all very well and it is always better to receive something directly from the company than doing it after market - but the point being it can be done. Putting on black alloys and a black tint on the roof - how many of us have not seen cars like that already on the road as aftermarket add on's , not a reason for me to buy it- if i have made a decision anyway to buy the car then it might be a deciding factor between the elegance and the trim but not a deciding factor the brand itself.

I am a bit worried , Skoda needs to do a little more and what i would like to see is a 5 year warranty on the DSG - if Skoda says they have improved it then there is no problem in offering it to begin with.

The reason i think it makes a lot of sense is if we broadly divide the potential buyers for this car

Buyer 1 :
Like us , extensive research and reading on the net resulting in us knowing that the DSG has problems and can be a pain point - what is Skoda offering for us to get over the inertia? Their word that the DSG is better? - no chance of that closing the deal.

Buyer 2 :
Less informed , have no idea about problems in the DSG and maybe to some extent what a DSG is exactly as well : These guys might not see the extended warranty as a savior to potential DSG failures but for Skoda it will be an investment into ensuring that there will be less fall out if we start hearing stories about the DSG - by covering it and replacing it this buyer is likely to complain yes , but would provide a certain perception to others when they mention that the DSG was changed no questions asked - leading to a certain reinforcement for the car and the offering.

Lastly what they need to do is ensure no car is sitting in the garage for long periods of time - offer a warranty and ensure that the unit is readily available enough to get people back onto the road in 1-2-3 days , otherwise a warranty will start looking a bit tarnished as well if the car is to be left for weeks on end.

This is not the best which Skoda could have done ,but i think there is scope to fortify a few more items to atleast strengthen the appeal for the Rapid across segments.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 21:46   #96
BHPian

I will buy the DSG if Skoda can offer 10 year warranty on the DSG like Ford does for the dual clutch automatic. My heart wants to but this car but brain says no. Lets see on the DSG reliability after few years.
Chalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 22:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Well this is precisely the reason why the highest selling limited edition in India is probably the Swift RS. Some cheap skirting kit,painted wheel covers to look like alloys, gawdy blue paint splattered everywhere including the seats and a music system is all that is needed.

I am sure the Honda Amaze Type R or whatever they call it for India will be equally exciting for a petrol-head.
If you would recollect Polo too had launched a 1.2 75 ps sports/special addition with body graphic, body kit etc in 2012 iirc.

In addition before the standard edition of Polo Petrol and Diesel (until the recent facelift) with 3 pot motors were miles behind Swift and any other car in its category in terms of power. I own a Polo Tdi so I know what I am talking about.

Any which way, I am not debating that DSG is not fun all I am saying is that I am afraid Skoda is not investing in new cars in India. And is giving same old wine with smoked lamp, cheap looking 15" black alloys (look aftermarket) and calling it black edition.

Why cant they give us the international facelift? I remember MUL and other makers use to get wrath of ppl for not offering international engines in Swift. So why not blame VW/Skoda for launching made for India products here (that is older models) and not the international upgrades. Why these double standards?
Old 27th September 2014, 23:28   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

The black edition would look so mean in the black color I guess! It's so bad they do NOT provide an option for black shade. I wonder what's stopping from offering this on all colors as these are just standard parts.
Old 28th September 2014, 00:10   #99
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The black edition would look so mean in the black color I guess! It's so bad they do NOT provide an option for black shade.
I agree if you mean something similar to this -
http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance/finan.../black-edition
Lij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 00:40   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

there are two sets of car buyers in the world (except americans) :
- the ones who buy german cars
- the ones who buy japanese cars
each group has its reasons, and as is common regarding almost anything related to human choice, one group will not agree with the other. Trying to fight it out here is like trying to argue which is more refreshing - tea or coffee.

Lets leave it at that and talk about the specific car this thread is aimed at.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 03:40   #101
BHPian

I inquired with a skoda dealer for the pricing and he said that the new rapid is available ith skoda shield, which is basically a five year warranty including roadside assistance! don't know how far this is true as I think he's not informed properly but if true, then I think its no problem to go for the DSG.

also currently, no test drive car is available in 1.5 TDI variant. neither MT nor DSG.they still giving test drives on the old 1.6 TDI, which by the way is available with a one lac discount. but only red color is available in that. same is with vento too I guess.

would have booked the Black edition rapid DSG in a heartbeat if it was available in black color. that would have been one mean looking sexy car! now lets see. currently confused between the Toffee brown, which will be available in november, and the silver Black edition. or the vento toffee brown!
Old 28th September 2014, 07:44   #102
Senior - BHPian

First things first.

Despite being an old design, I feel the Rapid looks absolutely smashing even now. Much better for me than the flashy Verna and the now flashy city. If the A.S.S was a bit better and the DSG a bit more reliable, the Rapid would be my de facto pick for a diesel sedan. More so the black edition. Black colour would have been the proverbial icing on the cake.

I have driven the Vento TSI and the gear box absolutely demolishes all the competition right now. If only it was a little more reliable.

However with the TSI, the gearbox is not pushed to the limits, and the 250NM of the TDI may prove to be a bit too much. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 28th September 2014, 07:57   #103
BHPian

Why not opt for extended warranty so as to have peace of mind and yet you can enjoy the dsg. IMO rapid has the best driving dynamics.
Old 28th September 2014, 08:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
each group has its reasons, and as is common regarding almost anything related to human choice, one group will not agree with the other. Trying to fight it out here is like trying to argue which is more refreshing - tea or coffee.

Actually there are three sets of car buyers in this world. (except americans of course!):
-the ones who buy german cars
-the ones who buys japanese cars
-the ones who once brought a german car or wants to buy a german car but cannot deal with the bullshit that is their A.S.S and their crappy reliability, so they switch over to the Japanese.

The fact is everybody actually wants to buy the German car. Everybody aspires to buy the German car. But its the Germans themselves that are standing in the way of these people with their poor ethics and moral compass.

Just think about it. Why would anybody buy a Maruti/Honda/Toyota if their german competiton is better than them and just as reliable and A.S.S friendly? (But if the german cars are crap, then there is no reason to buy them at all just like any other case)

People bash VW/skoda because they know the fact that VW/skoda makes good cars but are unwilling to provide a decent ownership experience.

And at the end of the day we are not buying some mid engined Italian supercar. We are enthusiasts looking to buy fun to drive everyday cars and everyday cars simply need to work everyday. If they don't their entire purpose is defeated. Besides we can't all be Jay leno or Ralph Lauren, buying new cars every other month. We are ordinary people and it's our hard money that we are spending on these cars and we Indians doesn't like being ripped off. So people have every right to bash german cars in my opinion. They brought this on themselves.

P.S I want VW/SKODA/FORD/FIAT to be successful so that other manufactures will take notice and make cars that have better driving dynamics and no longer comes with skinny tires, some stupid chrome, and decals.
nakul0888 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 09:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

Well said Venky !

I guess such arguments are just cluttering all threads. I hope people realize there is something called "difference of opinion" & move on.

Well coming back, the Black edition if offered on Black colored Rapid would be my automatic choice for its wild Looks & the DSG is just the right icing on the cake !!

Since its just an add on package I guess if the customer insists, I don't see a reason why Skoda should not give them. Would love to see such beauties on Indian roads
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks