Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:42   #121
BHPian

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Talked to Cochin dealer. Was told that Rapid AT could be available in 20 days if booked immediately. Not sure if that is too optimistic!
Old 4th October 2014, 07:19   #122
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
It is the colour that fools you. I have a Rapid and my Dad has a Vento. They are equally well put together, with the same quality of parts and plastics. The only thing better in the Vento is that the door beadings do not squeal (so far).
Can you also briefly comment on the build and ride quality of the two? Which holds better in corners, etc?
Old 5th October 2014, 23:00   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Haha they've corrected the article to omit the mention of it being the cheapest diesel sedan. You're right doc, the Zest does hold that title. Guess it was a case of out of sight, out of mind
I guess most of them dont consider AMT a genuine automatic.
Old 5th October 2014, 23:04   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I guess most of them dont consider AMT a genuine automatic.
Some might hold that view and behave like an ostrich with its head in the sand, but the fact remains it is an automatic and a diesel auto at that.

I don't think it's snobbery of any kind though, I think they just genuinely forgot about it and thus corrected themselves quietly when it got pointed out.

On a side note: So odd to see Tata barely advertise the diesel AMT and capitalise on the first mover advantage. This is the Aria all over again; a good product poorly marketed! Skoda and VW are tom-tomming about their diesel DSG all over the place, availability of it notwithstanding.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 17:40   #125
BHPian

I simply dont understand the theory behind restricting the black edition to only white and silver colours. It should entirely be the customer's choice . Especially their Red colour would look fantabulous with a black roof and alloys. Skoda/VW, GIVE US RED !
Old 8th October 2014, 17:44   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I simply dont understand the theory behind restricting the black edition to only white and silver colours. It should entirely be the customer's choice . Especially their Red colour would look fantabulous with a black roof and alloys. Skoda/VW, GIVE US RED !
I think skoda has provided the black edition in red also. Saw it on TV when OD test drove it. Don't know if there is any other complications regarding its availability.
Old 8th October 2014, 19:17   #127
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
I think skoda has provided the black edition in red also. Saw it on TV when OD test drove it. Don't know if there is any other complications regarding its availability.
You are right, they had mentioned this in their brochure also.

It says 'also available in other colors on demand'.
vdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:18   #128
BHPian

I was told by the dealer the black edition is not available in red. Not very sure what they meant by 'not available'. I didn't pursue further as I see my prospects of getting a vento dsg sooner is higher than getting the rapid.
Old 9th October 2014, 09:48   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
I think i distinctly remember reading somewhere that its only available in white and silver. Can you please reconfirm if that rapid had a glossy black roof too because thats what i am looking for. Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 15:39   #130
BHPian

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Rapid DSG Review is located at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Hi Folks,

We had made an appointment with Volkswagen Palace Cross to test drive the Vento TSI and TDI DSG on Saturday. When we got there, we found out that the TSI "had gone to the service center" and we could test drive the Polo GT TSI instead. On our way home, we stopped by the Tafe access and were offered a test drive of the Rapid TDI DSG. Here are my thoughts on our experience.

As it transpires, we disliked the Vento TDI DSG, the car just feels sluggish and the gearbox doesn't feel very responsive. The Rapid DSG actually feels more responsive than the Vento TDI (Strange, but true); There is also more support in the front seats of the Rapid and while it may have fabric seats, they are of much better quality than the Vento Leatherette and the end result is the Rapid drives better and is more comfortable.

We enjoyed the Polo GT TSI drive as well, and would have picked it over the others except for the cabin space available. While the front seats are comfortable, they arent as good as the Vento's and simply aren't in the same league as the Rapid.

Any one who has driven a good Petrol and Diesel engine of the same variant quickly realizes that one offers more torque and the other is higher revving. It is easily apparent that both the Vento and Rapid TDI DSG rely on torque to keep the wheels spinning whilst the TSI motor prefers to build up revs quickly.

If I had to pick between the two, my vote would go to the Rapid for a diesel. I still need to drive the Vento 1.2 TSI and see if I would buy that over the Rapid.

Tafe offered delivery within the month depending on colour and variant while VW pushed current stock of old 1.2 TSI without discount and Mid -Level TDI DSG with claims of fresh stock taking 3-6 months.

My decision process has done a bunk. At 14 lacs on road for a diesel and 13 lacs on road for the petrol, I am not sure the diesel is worth the extra money for me. Given the arrogant nature of Bangalore's VW dealers, I am not sure I want to even bother with one; they make you feel like they are doing you a favour. The sales rep was supposed to call me to set up a test drive of the Vento 1.2 TSI at home, needless to say he hasn't bothered.

Note on the DSG:

You will need to understand how your car functions if you want a smooth drive. The power delivery makes for a bit of a jerky drive in the city. You can easily over come this though.

I personally am done with the entire reliability of the DSG debate. The DQ 200 had its oil changed to mineral oil, it stopped shorting out the mechatronics, enough said. There will always be Skoda/VW haters and then the rest of us that want a car that drives like a car instead of one looking like an obnoxious rocket and driving like a boat.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2014 at 16:36. Reason: Linking to our review :)
imp! is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks