Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Wow, the much awaited powertrain in the market. Good move by Skoda and this should definitely increase their sales figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
How could they manage to extract the same power and torque figures by reducing the engine to 1498 CC from 1596 CC.
It is similar to the case of Fiat Multijet / Renault k9k engines which come in same engine displacement (1.3L / 1.5L) but in different power & torque avatars. Just play with the Turbo or other engine parts to get different power / torque
PS: It is easy to get different power / torque from same displacement engine, but the perfect blend of Performance + Efficiency + NVH will call for a hell lot of R&D / time / investment

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 23rd September 2014 at 07:19.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

could you some one explain the differences between dq200 and dq250 transmission ?
Isnt the dq200 more prone to failures ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...not-india.html
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:49   #18
BHPian

Good move Skoda!
The DSG is going to be a great addition to the 1.5 engine.

DQ 200 is already on its limit with the 250 nm of torque. Any mods on the the power output needs to be given a miss.

DQ 250 is a bullet proof transmission that can handle abuse and more power. The Polo R Cup cars run with the DQ 250. A testament to its reliability.
raajks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:25   #19
BHPian

Looks smoking hott!!

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-new2014skodarapidblackedition8.jpg

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-new2014skodarapidblackedition1.jpg

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-new2014skodarapidinterior8.jpg
amanomics is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Yes i know that Bro, but those markets can afford that combination as DSG faliures are significantly less abroad because:

1) The running conditions like less stop-go traffic and less environmental temperatures ensures better life of the DSG.
2) Volkswagen have already issued for a global recall to set the gremlim in the box right. Sadly India wasnt on the list of fortunate ones to get the recall.

Cheers!
Starfire
While the observation about european environment may be correct, the bit about less stop and go traffic may not be. from my experience, the cities in europe are also jam packed with traffic. While they may be more disciplined about not jumping lanes, but during peak rush hours, the stop and go traffic and jams still exist in most european countries.

also, the same 1.6 TDI engine and 7 speed DSG combo is available in Singapore as well, which has the same environmental conditions as India and similar traffic conditions.

I think we should stop questioning the reliability issues now on the DQ200. they found a fault with the product and then rectified it. Agreed that VAG could have handled it better in India, and issued a formal recall, but still they did change the transmission oil in the affected gearboxes. and now, they are confident about the reliability of the transmission. So, lets give them the benefit of doubt.

Also, we hear the breakdown stories of the DQ200, but not the number of transmissions running without a glitch. No offence to anyone, and questioning the problems they have faced with DQ200, but, I would definitely like to know the official/unofficial failure rate of these transmissions.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Buy the car with extended warranty and sell it before 4 years after taking a significant resale hit is the only logical thing to do with Skoda and DSG.

DSG is like a high maintenance expensive toy which is great when everything is right, and absolutely horrible when its not. Friend on mine has a Superb TSi DSG and I can see gears missing when I sit in his car. Its a disaster waiting to happen. Unfortunately he doesn't have warranty left.
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Curious about the VW and Skoda Dynamics. It was assumed that VW would be launching these new engines/gearboxes first as they did with the 1.2 TSI and DSG for the Polo/Vento Petrol. Those were expected to come to the Rapid Petrol but that has not happened till now.

I had also recently read about VW planning to ensure better product differentiation between VW India and Skoda India

The 1.5 TDI +DSG introduction seems in contrast to the above points. They are launching it in both Rapid and Vento at the same time which makes both of these vehicles very similar.

Are they positioning the Rapid as a more sporty option and the Vento as a classic option with the same mechanical's?
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:15   #23
BHPian

Experiment with Skoda as VW intends to downsize Skoda's customer base and improve VW customer base.

Based on the results of the experiments with Skoda.

Launch VW products!

Indian cars are getting uninspiring lately. Not a single affordable enthusiastic car.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is new, and calls for a Team BHP review. Hope to see one soon. We have not had DSG with diesel in this segment, ever!
And with many other car-makers opting for or considering AMT, this and Vento could be the only dual-clutch automatics in this segment (with diesel engines).

I am suddenly interested in this, as this car offers everything that Vento does and at a lesser price!

Last edited by rohanjf : 23rd September 2014 at 11:40.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:54   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Quote:
The Surprise?

Unlike the Octavia/Superb which come with the 6-Speed DQ250, the Rapid will come with the dry type 7-speed DQ200 DSG Gearbox!
You bet I'm surprised! If you recollect, my scoop thread on the Vento DSG had a 7-speed DSG mentioned originally. However, I thought it was a typo / error on our source's part, and I myself replaced it to 6-speed as it seemed logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I never thought Skoda would launch this most awaited engine + Tranny combination first.
It isn't. VW is launching the Vento TDI DSG first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The issue that Skoda will have to face is that the Rapid is available for about a lakh discount. If the DSG does not have any discount, the difference between the Rapid Manual 1.6 diesel and 1.5 diesel DSG will be in the range of 2.5 lakhs+ which could psychologically trouble buyer's minds.
True, for the initial period. After 3 - 4 months, you'll see the same discounts on the diesel DSG (if they make enough of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Its a tricky move keeping in mind the surprises DSG gearboxes can bring about when its not working well.
You can say that again! The Superb's DSG failures severely dented Skoda's reputation, but the Superb sells a fraction of what the Rapid does. Unless they've really fixed the DQ200, the brand will take a larger beating if there's a lot of stranded Rapids on the road.

Quote:
Now this claim may be true as we hav'int heard that many complaints of mechatronic faliure in the new Octavia. Either that or maybe its still to early to call as its barely been a year since the cars launch and long term still needs to be looked into.
Exactly. The Octavia is too new to report DSG failures. Lets wait until 2013 - 2014 Superb / Octavia petrol owners have clocked over 40,000 - 50,000 clicks on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Just play with the Turbo or other engine parts to get different power / torque
Or very simply, just tweak the ECU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
DQ 200 is already on its limit with the 250 nm of torque. Any mods on the the power output needs to be given a miss.
Good point! Strictly no diesel power-boxes on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had also recently read about VW planning to ensure better product differentiation between VW India and Skoda India

Are they positioning the Rapid as a more sporty option and the Vento as a classic option with the same mechanical's?
VAG managers can dish out all the fancy terms they want. End of the day, the two are the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This is new, and calls for a Team BHP review. Hope to see one soon.
You definitely will! Our resident DSG expert - Anshuman - is going to test the Rapid Diesel DSG. As an owner of the Laura DSG, he has ample experience with the gearbox tech.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:46   #26
BHPian

Can anyone confirm this:

1. How will one scroll up/down in the MID from the steering wheel, now the polo and vento(refreshed) have control on the right side of the steering wheel, but rapid seems to miss out on those. I am assuming you have to still use the right side stalk to scroll.

P.S. on closer inspection, the left side controls on the skoda and VW have exactly the same functions, so that means skoda also skips on the Voice commands?

2. What about foot well lights? Polo has them, i am sure vento will also have them. No mention in the Rapid.

also, can rapid owners confirm if their car has any ambient lights. I remember seeing red ambient light in the vento coming from the over head light switches area.

Thanks

On a side note, love the alloy wheel design on the refreshed Rapid (non black edition). Attaching pic for reference (Source: motoroids)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too-new2014skodarapidfaceliftfront2600x399.jpg.pagespeed.ce.psrczqzo2e.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2014, 16:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
2. What about foot well lights? Polo has them, i am sure vento will also have them. No mention in the Rapid.
The Vento TSI does not have foot well lights.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The Vento TSI does not have foot well lights.
Hi StarScream, I am talking about the refreshed Vento that is launching tomorrow.

Previous iteration of POLO also did not have them, but the current one does.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But can the DQ200 handle all that torque without trouble? Wouldn't the wet type DQ250 be a better choice?
I have driven a Skoda Octavia Diesel (Laura in India) in Republic of Ireland for over 500KM recently. Car had a 7 Speed DSG gearboc and Odo reading was 1.5L KM
I enjoyed drive and never felt any issues with gear shift during 500KM drive.

DQ200 should not be a problem now since they have changed oil from synthetic to mineral and also added an extended warranty package.
Convenience & performance of DSG box is worth extra premium these cars demand over competition.

Last edited by djay99 : 23rd September 2014 at 17:28.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Exactly. The Octavia is too new to report DSG failures. Lets wait until 2013 - 2014 Superb / Octavia petrol owners have clocked over 40,000 - 50,000 clicks on the odometer.
True, this indeed will be the make-or-break DSG business for VAG in India. Just one model (Superb) was enough to trouble them big-time; along with the Superb and Octavia, they now will have a range of mass-market cars with 7-speed DSG - Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI/TDI, and the Rapid TDI. The game is on!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks