Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:15   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I don't understand why people are crazy about the Toyota brand even if it comes with a hefty price tag. I understand the quality & reliability factor for this brand but not the price.
I think you have answered your question in your next statement itself. It only depends how much you value those 2 attributes i.e. quality and reliability. Combine that with a robust 4x4 drive ability and then ask yourself what else do you want from a SUV? And that is the reason the Fortuner and the Innova sell so well in there respective segments.

Quote:
XUV face lift - Lets us assume price as 18L - With Electrically adjustable driver seat, Sunroof, smart entry, etc

I don't have any reason to think a potential customer will pay 12 L for brand & reliability that too for very less features for the price ?
The current XUV is also grossly over loaded with features if you compare it with the Fortuner. Infact I even started a thread on the same with a poll, last time I was out in the market. And even though one can literally buy a fully loaded XUV and a hot hatch like Polo TSI for the price of 1 Fortuner, the latter manages to keep selling like hot cakes.

Time and again, I have seen everyone wishing and predicting Toyota's downfall and decimation of Innova and Fortuner by every new launch starting from the Ertiga/Mobilio to Safari/Scorpio/XUV500 etc. But the sales figures just refuse to agree with the above wishes.

It is not because of Toyota's remarkable vehicles. Or may be only a part of the sales is due to that fact. But the major blame for it also falls on the other car makers who have just failed to launch a product that can truly match the strong points of the Innova and the Fortuner. I too wish that the upcoming launches finally force Toyota to cut prices and bring these vehicles back into the 25L price zone. But you know what? I am dead sure that these new SUVs will either prove too small in size, seating capacity, features, space etc or will be grossly over priced w.r.t. the Fortuner. Case in point is the new Pajero Sports or the Hyundai Santa FE. Although I sincerely hope I am proven wrong.

Last edited by drmohitg : 23rd February 2015 at 20:18.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 12:39   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Time and again, I have seen everyone wishing and predicting Toyota's downfall and decimation of Innova and Fortuner by every new launch starting from the Ertiga/Mobilio to Safari/Scorpio/XUV500 etc. But the sales figures just refuse to agree with the above wishes.
XUV 500 was launched in September 2011. Fortuner sales indeed went down for the next 4 months.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

I think the XUV 500 ver 2.0 is lot mature vehicle than the initial one so as the new facelift

Also i have gone through the thread & Poll initiated by you, I dont see a big difference in poll results

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-fortuner.html

Poll Results :

XUV500 - 150 - 49.18%

Fortuner - 155 - 50.82%
Attached Thumbnails
2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-fort.jpg  

Old 24th February 2015, 13:46   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
XUV 500 was launched in September 2011. Fortuner sales indeed went down for the next 4 months.
Since when have we started assessing a vehicle's performance in the initial few months? That is the time when obviously the sales will be high specially given all the hoopla associated with a new launch. It is only after the initial craze dies out, when we can really assess the vehicle's success. XUV did well but couldn't take away any numbers from the Fortuner.

Quote:
Also i have gone through the thread & Poll initiated by you, I dont see a big difference in poll results

Poll Results :

XUV500 - 150 - 49.18%

Fortuner - 155 - 50.82%
And so what is your inference out of the poll? A vehicle which according to you is half priced and loaded with gadgets that even luxury German cars costing 50L cannot boast of, is still lagging behind or is neck to neck with a vehicle that is crude, basic and utilitarian while at the same time being grossly overpriced. To my surprise, many XUV owners suggested to for the Fortuner in that thread if the finances allow it.

Anyways lets not deviate from the topic any further. The bottomline is that there is still no vehicle in our market which can truly challenge the Innova or the Fortuner in there respective segments. And I would absolutely be delighted if these new launches can change that.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th February 2015 at 13:47.
Old 24th February 2015, 14:21   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think the XUV 500 ver 2.0 is lot mature vehicle than the initial one so as the new facelift

Poll Results :

XUV500 - 150 - 49.18%

Fortuner - 155 - 50.82%
This comparison doesn't make sense. They belong in completely different segments. Both of them are best sellers in their own segments (D1 and D2 respectively). Looking at the historical sales, both of them are clearly maintaining their sales figures and leadership in their segments. What is the point in comparing them?

The real competition to Fortuner will come from new Endeavor and possibly Chevy Trailblazer.
Old 24th February 2015, 18:21   #140
BHPian

There have been after market tuning boxes, but has anyone thought of a possibility of having this new Fortuner 2.5L tuning/map on the Innova to have atleast a 25bhp bump in power?
Old 24th February 2015, 20:47   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
There have been after market tuning boxes, but has anyone thought of a possibility of having this new Fortuner 2.5L tuning/map on the Innova to have atleast a 25bhp bump in power?
I guess its more to do with the variable nozzle turbocharger that the Fortuner gets, bumping up the power from 102 to 143bhp.

Well, can't say i haven't thought about that.. Maybe, in the Innova cross they will put the Vnt.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks