Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 14:09   #1051
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
2. The digital instrument cluster ‘design’ looks old and downright ugly. Also, the RPM dial is digital while the speedometer is analogue while it should have been the other way round.

Are you referring to the analogue unit besides the LCD display? Yes, the analogue speedometer does look ugly and was a bad decision by tata, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself.

It looked awesome in the harrier and does so in the altroz as well. From what angle does the digital part look bad?
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:13   #1052
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Tata needs to up the ante or launch it a price which simply cannot be ignored.
Going by the trend with Nexon and Harrier, TML will definitely price the Altroz below the market segment. There is a news of Tata adding a dual clutch GB for Altroz but unfortunately nothing at the launch next month.

If you see it from their point of view, most well informed car buyers stay away from the initial batches of Tata and Mahindra. May be that is the reason they have not got the JTP version or Nexon petrol engine or autobox at the launch.

I am optimistic for the company to do really good and come out to be the first choice for cars buyers in the next decade or so, toppling MS.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:25   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Thanks for clearing it (about the weight)

Also I'm no way telling that it's not a premium product just because it got a 3 cylinder engine . All I wanted to mention was that somehow both (premium and 3 cylinder) didn't go hand in hand. Well, at least for me
May be its because we generally get 3 cylinder engines at the lower segment mass market cars
One of the most expensive hatchbacks in India, has a 3 cylinder engine. The timeless classic - VW Polo. Unless of course expensive is not equal to premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Looks are equally important to me.

I will buy any TATA hatchback only if :

1. It does not have the smiley shaped grill and ridiculously stretched back headlamp units.
- Would rather prefer the grill & headlamp units like Civic. I do not wish headlamps to occupy the large portion of front edges of bonnet.

2. It's C pillar angle & rear door design is different than Zest or Indica.
- Cut short the quarter glass and give some sharp lines like Beat or Swift.

3. It's hatch door does not look like a big belly.
- Breath out and pull the belly inside, take a queue from i30.

4. It's rear lamps are not borrowed from Bolt and look complete.
- Look at your own Jaguar, it's perfectly alright to integrate some portion of rear lamps into the hatch door and side panels to make it look complete.

5. It's rear wheels are pushed a bit forward / Beefy rear bumper to make the side profile look complete.
- Take an i20, look at it's side profile, rear bumper and side profile feels complete unlike Bolt.

All the best TATA !!!
Good thing you posted this well in advance! The guys at TML got enough time to fulfil all that you wished for in the Altroz!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2019 at 14:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:32   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
One the most expensive hatchbacks in India, has a 3 cylinder engine. The timeless classic - VW Polo. Unless of course expensive is not equal to premium.
But the sales numbers that the 1.0L 3 pot Polo makes are depressing. A lot of Polo sales numbers are propped up by the TDI and 1.2 TSI GT. I don't think TML is hoping for such lowly numbers with the Altroz.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 15:19   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is probably the only fresh entrant in the segment till the new i20 comes out. Then this is going to struggle.
Aah! These are exactly my thoughts on the new Altroz!! Looks like TATA has yet again done a ‘Harrier’ I am looking to replace my 2011 MS Swift ZDi in the coming Q1/Q2, and these two cars are on my list; more so the upcoming i20 . Going by the mess they did with the Harrier, I wasn’t expecting anything significant with regards to the Altroz; and TATA just proved it yet again!
The wait now begins to see what Hyundai brings to the table in the form of the new i20. But going by the rumours I’m definitely expecting a feature loaded, good looking hatch with that 1 ltr turbo & the sweet DCT.

MOD NOTE:- Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 16:57. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:55   #1056
BHPian

https://mobile.twitter.com/SirishCha...89706542043137
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_201912041701592.png  

damodar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 18:24   #1057
Senior - BHPian

I know it has been beaten to death, but I just could stop myself from commenting that:

1. The beautiful lines and gorgeous exteriors, do not deserve that mediocre NA 3 Cylinder. How did the Turbo go missing?

2. The 1.5 Turbo Diesel appears to have been severely de-tuned, as compared to Nexon.
What was need for such a massive reduction of power & torque (20PS & 60NM!)
That 260NM of torque would have made this car a hoot to drive!
But, of course, how can we forget, TAMO has done a thesis on shooting their own foot.
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 19:10   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Not saying Altroz will not sell but all auto journos will tweet the same thing. Amazing, rocking, swashbuckling...

Some Sirish Chandran tweets:

"My word @TataMotors #Harrier looks absolutely STUNNING. If it drives as good as it looks it will KILL everything else in its segment (it should, it has the JLR Disco Sport platform!)"

https://twitter.com/sirishchandran/s...209920?lang=en

"₹12.69 lakh starting price for @TataMotors #Harrier. ₹16.25 lakh fully loaded. Damn good prices! Now the action starts in right earnest for #TataMotors. "

https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/s...07064801210368

and finally

"Interested in a @TataMotors car / SUV? Solid discounts on offer! ₹1.5 lakh off on the Hexa, 1.15 lakh on a Tigor, 85k off on a Nexon, even the Harrier has 50k off on it "

https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/s...66527608983553

Last edited by avishar : 4th December 2019 at 19:12.
avishar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 19:26   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Did you guys notice petrol car gets wider 195/55 R16 tyres compared to more powerful diesel sibling gets 185/60 r16 tyres. I am comparing the XT variants of petrol and diesel.
When petrol engine is less powered why more wider tyres?
That's what interested me as well. May be to show better mileage figures for the diesel variant as mentioned in previous post.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2019 at 19:47. Reason: Spacing, typos.
dg2332 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 21:39   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Do you know if it's coming with a wet or a dry clutch DCT? Dry clutch might have problems in our congested cities.
It has a multiplate clutch. Multiplate clutches are always wet type.
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 22:39   #1061
Senior - BHPian

This car deserves to be seen in 3D with depth instead of just pictures. For one, that interior looks really good and high quality.

Last edited by avishar : 4th December 2019 at 22:46.
avishar is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 22:45   #1062
BHPian

Tata should have come out with a S-Cross competitor at i20/baleno pricing...
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 22:58   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz To Be Offered With Customisation Packages From The Factory

The production-spec Tata Altroz has been officially unveiled and we have driven it too and will be sharing our review of the car on December 9, 2019 at 9 am. The all-new offering will compete in the premium hatchback segment against the likes of the Hyundai i20, Maruti Suzuki Baleno and the Honda Jazz. Now, Tata Motors is pitching the car to a young customer base and wants to provide a customised buying experience too. So, in a first for an Indian mass market player, the automaker will be offering customisation options on the new Altroz across the five variants - XE, XM, XT, XZ and XZ (O). The customisation options are being offered across four different packages - Rhythm, Style, Luxe and Urban - that will add select features on specific trims. Here's what each of the customisation packs have to offer.

More details:
nairrk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 00:26   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I know it has been beaten to death, but I just could stop myself from commenting that:

1. The beautiful lines and gorgeous exteriors, do not deserve that mediocre NA 3 Cylinder. How did the Turbo go missing?

2. The 1.5 Turbo Diesel appears to have been severely de-tuned, as compared to Nexon.
What was need for such a massive reduction of power & torque (20PS & 60NM!)
That 260NM of torque would have made this car a hoot to drive!
But, of course, how can we forget, TAMO has done a thesis on shooting their own foot.
Agree with you totally. Even the petrol model offers only 85 bhp and 113 nm of torque which is quite disappointing frankly. It should been atleast 110 bhp with 150 nm of torque.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 00:46   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Are you referring to the analogue unit besides the LCD display? Yes, the analogue speedometer does look ugly and was a bad decision by tata, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself.

It looked awesome in the harrier and does so in the Altroz as well. From what angle does the digital part look bad?
Yes, I was referring to the analogue (speedometer) unit's design and the fonts used. It looks more like that of a commercial vehicle than that of a sophisticated premium hatch. Also, they should have placed the RPM unit in place of the speedo there.

The full color TFT display is sweet and definitely lends it an upmarket feel. I am sure a lot of other manufacturers would move over to a similar solution in the coming times.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks