Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:43   #1006
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Only two airbags? What a silly move, given that the Figo, i20 etc. offer six!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:23   #1007
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

The microsite of Tata Altroz was live from a long time and it's been updated now after the unveiling today :

Link : https://altroz.tatamotors.com

The brochure can be downloaded here :

https://altroz.tatamotors.com/images...d-brochure.pdf
XRoader_001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:29   #1008
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why have a launch event without a price? The Altroz has gone through many peaks of media interest already through concept, Geneva and India, and they again want to stretch it out to January by when nobody will care anymore?

It is a very pretty car though. My favorite angles,

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ek3zflucaahazh.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-74869839_2885402678158766_7357073137445371904_o.jpg

Source 1, 2

Also, whoops. Or is that what he thinks of the car.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-swift.jpg

Last edited by avishar : 3rd December 2019 at 23:37.
avishar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:39   #1009
Senior - BHPian

I dozed off just 30 minutes into that live presentation and just woke up. I've seen better presentation than that during my engineering days where students could tell a more convincing story(false mostly) during their final year project presentations to score good marks from evaluators.

Bose talking about "Going for Gold" and achieving "Gold standard" and how the Altroz was a no compromise product that was carefully crafted to disrupt the segment etc was pretty rich considering how his previous pet project fared last time around. I just couldn't take any of his statements on face value after that big botch.

The other 2 presentators were okay. A bit robotic like a teleprompter reading person.

Did anyone notice Guenther Butschek ask the audience to clap their hands on multiple occasions after the car arrived on stage?
The guy didn't seem too happy with the reception. Were the invitees busy munching on food or what?
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:42   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The guy didn't seem too happy with the reception. Were the invitees busy munching on food or what?
Not munching food. If there were mostly media, then they will be either taking a pic or tweeting the said pic. That is all everyone does at launch events, and you have to be fast. Some even start writing notes or whatsapp notes for the web guy get a story up asap.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:49   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Guess what, will people still not like Tata Altroz? But as usual Tata is late and keeping things for later stages.
More about the DCT in the Altroz-

Quote:
The Altroz auto will be based around the 1.2-litre petrol engine version; a diesel auto is not on the cards. In all likelihood, Tata Motors will use a Punch-sourced seven-speed DT-1 dual-clutch transmission. The DT-1 has been designed for compact cars (with torque of up to 200Nm) and is relatively more affordable than typical dual-clutch or torque converter systems.

Tata Motors has not given a specific time frame for launch but is looking to introduce the Altroz auto by October 2020. In the premium hatchback segment, the Maruti Baleno, Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20 feature CVT autos while the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI comes with a dual-clutch auto.
Source
The_Outsider! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:50   #1012
BANNED

Not that I want to sound immodest here, have had been into the cockpit of a few cars, within and beyond the shores and usually try and contain my emotions by not having multiple posts on a single thread on a single day, but, but,

This is the worst ever instrumentation cluster that I have ever seen. Heck, Spark, Etios though centrally located were symmetric and comprehendable.

This eye sore, has rather squarish digital tachometer and the speedometer drives me nuts, it seems a Grade 2 student was handed a compass and pleaded to draw a circle. It is in a no man's land, shape apart, the dials, fonts are miserable. Hats off to the fatherly figure signing this one on a production vehicle.

God only knows why they are launching this with the engine options on offer and no where to excel product as a whole.

PS: I love TML, I am so disgruntled with this offering hence the spill and an ex Hexa owner.

The best engineered product this decade from TML is the Hexa and shall remain that ways, Gravitas looking at the XE interiors, those unchromed door openers and rudimentary AC knobs is a sunken ship with no USP. Hell, the ad said oppluence unparalleled, if that be the interiors then the next pharse of power unimagained makes me think it'll be a Nexon with 5 cyliders and 2 horses more that 110 odd offered on the Nexon.

Tata rocks but their unparalleled and unimaginable off late decisions and launches suck.

Read here: feature deletion and price hikes, launching Harrier with 140 horses. Clueless what's happening at TML, no wonder stock is plummeting so are the sales. Mr Chandra it seems has got someone there who is on Mr Mahindra's payroll.

For this thing to succeed, it needs to be rechirstened as Albatross, rise from the ashes, Altroz is a short lived misnomer.

Last edited by Torquedo : 4th December 2019 at 00:20.
Torquedo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:57   #1013
BHPian

I am mainly concerned about the space management. The sharp front and the limited rear (IMO) does not inspire me. I guess it has more space than a Tiago or a Swift, but comparable to S-cross or even a Jazz..? I wonder..
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:59   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

This is the worst ever instrumentation cluster that I have ever seen. Heck, Spark, Etios though centrally located were symmetric and comprehendable.
I love the car, and I love Tata, but I swear that instrument cluster will be enough to turn me off from buying this car. Imagine staring at that crap all day long from behind the wheel.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 00:08   #1015
Vmv
BHPian

Images received from FB and TML page
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394118934.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394115191.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394077467.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394122476.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394443781.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1575394449371.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 00:17   #1016
Team-BHP Support

This is probably the only fresh entrant in the segment till the new i20 comes out. Then this is going to struggle.

Hyundai are guaranteed to get the 1.0L T-GDi in the i20 just like Venue and upcoming Aura. They will have a DCT most likely as well.

Tata have come up with goody styling which is always the case however this car needed a lot more to be a worthy competitor in 2020:

1. A more powerful turbo petrol engine at launch not later on (the Nexon engine!)
2. Automatics!!! This is what works now in India.
3. 2 airbags in a premium hatch in 2020?

I heard they made it lighter. Hopefully still has the trademark Tata solid feel.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 00:37   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Not munching food. If there were mostly media, then they will be either taking a pic or tweeting the said pic. That is all everyone does at launch events, and you have to be fast. Some even start writing notes or whatsapp notes for the web guy get a story up asap.
When the camera panned to overhead shot I saw many people looking the wrong way at their tables. I did see waiters serving drinks earlier hence the query.

That modular platform graphic showed what the sedan version of this car will be. So I guess the rumored premium sedan that will compete with City/Ciaz/Verna will be based on this. Platform sharing saves costs and Tata have lost a lot of ground and money lately so it seems like a potential route they will go with it.

Anyway that speedometer is an eyesore. Did Tata source that bit from one of their old trucks to save on costs? That's got to be the most ugliest speedometer design on a car this side of y2k.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 4th December 2019 at 00:39.
Old 4th December 2019, 00:50   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
More about the DCT in the Altroz-

Source
Oct 2020, well that will probably become mar 2021, they can launch it with midlife face-lift itself
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 01:02   #1019
BHPian

A lot has been (and will be) said about the other aspects of the car, but a word about how it looks - The Altroz is arguably one of the hottest looking mass market cars in India right now. The red one in particular looks smashing! I’d probably want to buy one just for the looks! Full marks to Tata for coming up with a design so unique and fresh, and yet unmistakably a Tata.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 01:02   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Both Tiago and Altroz weigh almost the same.
Tiago P varies between 980 - 1080kgs while Altroz P starts at 961kg.
So the same engine will do just fine in terms of power/weight ratio.

Also, from when did we start measuring "premium-ness" of a car by the number of cylinders the engine has?
Thanks for clearing it (about the weight)

Also I'm no way telling that it's not a premium product just because it got a 3 cylinder engine . All I wanted to mention was that somehow both (premium and 3 cylinder) didn't go hand in hand. Well, at least for me
May be its because we generally get 3 cylinder engines at the lower segment mass market cars
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks