Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2020, 14:05   #1366
BHPian

Default re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
so Tata's motor makes comparably decent numbers to satisfy common Joe Public, while losing out on refinement to the 4-pot competition.
Tbh, i think there's only so much they can do with a 3 cylinder motor. Yes, there are more refined 3 pots in the market but i wonder what happened to the 4 cylinder petrol from the zest. That would have been fine for the altroz.
I'd anyday pick a 4 cylinder over a stressed, unrefined ( relatively ), low displacement 3 cylinder turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Even the digital car MG Hector doesn't get one. I don't think its a factor a buyer will use to reject a car. If Tata keeps the basics right, the Altroz will sell, especially the Diesel.
No, i didn't mean that as a deal-breaker, but altroz is otherwise a well equipped car, it would've made the package complete, imo.
Leave the hector, iirc, even the 40 lacs fortuner doesn't get it. Strange decision making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
What if the Altroz doesnt meet the fit and finish quality of the Hyundai i20 and Honda Jazz and Suzuki Baleno and Ford Ecosport and Hyundai Venue? Surely we should call a spade a spade, right?
The ecosport and venue are from a different segment, in terms of fit and finish, in my opinion, the only cars altroz should be compared to is the Polo and the i20, i dont know how the baleno managed to creep into that list, I've been in several balenos, and almost all of them suffered from rattling issues, one which i drove was less than 3 months old and already there were rattling from the dashboard. So i am 100% sure the altroz will not nearly be as rattly as the baleno, it will require catastrophic factory fitting for the altroz to end up that bad.
The jazz is a very good car, but the absolute benchmark for fit and finish in the segment is the Polo and the i20, so i think its them that the altroz should be compared to.

Last edited by SaiSW : 9th January 2020 at 14:23.
SaiSW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 14:24   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Tbh, i think there's only so much they can do with a 3 cylinder motor. Yes, there are more refined 3 pots in the market...
I think I saw it mentioned on the Tiago facelift thread that they've added a balancer shaft to the petrol motor. That should improve things quite a bit. Can't do anything about the 3-pot thrum though, I agree.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:45   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I wonder what happened to the 4 cylinder petrol from the zest. That would have been fine for the altroz.
I'd anyday pick a 4 cylinder over a stressed, unrefined ( relatively ), low displacement 3 cylinder turbo.
Refinement aside the 3 cyl turbo is better than the 4 pot revotron. IIRC the revotron on bolt/zest was based on the archaic 1.2L Xeta engine. IMHO that would really be a downgrade if it were to make it to the altroz.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:54   #1369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
People love electronic gizmos, sure, but how much of a deal-breaker is not having automation on a switch (IRVM dimming) that one would flip max once a day?

Where Tata do need work is the motors, more the NVH than performance. Humor me a second.
All in all, Altroz is a nearly-there product with a lot going for it. If Tata can just refine the engines while providing decent low & mid-range, it would round off a very capable offering rather nicely. Most of the target audience will buy it primarily for that, not necessarily top end performance or 0-100 numbers.
Couldn't agree more. I think in order to satisfy the eternal "has to undercut competition on pricing" requirement, Tata has tried to save on engine by making it a 3 pot. It is their philosophy alright. But then its a huge compromise. Especially in a "premium" segment, it really doesn't look good or ignorable. I mean even the entry level Santro from Hyundai has a smooth 4 cylinder motor. They are making compromise on a vital aspect. I would have asked for a 4 pot petrol in Altroz if the Tiago gets a 3 pot one. Also gives a nice distinction & justification for the "premium" tag.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:19   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Refinement aside the 3 cyl turbo is better than the 4 pot revotron. IIRC the revotron on bolt/zest was based on the archaic 1.2L Xeta engine. IMHO that would really be a downgrade if it were to make it to the altroz.
The egg indica xeta? Ok that is bad. i have some terrible memories with that car, it will come.back to haunt me, glad it didn't find it's way.
Old 9th January 2020, 23:11   #1371
BHPian

Few pics (as received)

That black strip looks odd to me. Looking forward to see it in person soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200109wa0029.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200109wa0032.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200109wa0031.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200109wa0027.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200109wa0030.jpg  

VWAllstar is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:21   #1372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Few pics (as received)
Wow, the engine bay packaging looks really, REALLY tight! Almost feels European! Very little vacant places. Nicely done. Although maintenance and part replacements will be that wee bit more effort taking. Improvements over the ageing X1 platform are clearly evident in the packaging, design and overall finish in the engine bay. Good.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th January 2020 at 09:22.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:13   #1373
BHPian

Have the vehicles already reached the dealerships? Any info on test drives being made available?
Old 10th January 2020, 11:07   #1374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Wow, the engine bay packaging looks really, REALLY tight! ...Although maintenance and part replacements will be that wee bit more effort taking.
Is the trend for the past few years, from around the time the bigger sub-4-m cars came in. Incidentally I was at my regular Scooter service centre Auto-Assembly and went up to chat with my old mechanic. He was working on a newer Bajaj bike, and while answering what he was doing in the bike he said - the actual work takes an hour and half, but removing all the external bits and putting them back is the pain
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:40   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, the engine bay packaging looks really, REALLY tight!
With only 4000mm to play around to be within the small car norms, that's the only place left to increase passenger and/or boot space, right?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:56   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
With only 4000mm to play around to be within the small car norms, that's the only place left to increase passenger and/or boot space, right?
Absolutely. And surely this is how they have managed good cabin as well as boot space even with a modest car length in comparison with its peers.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 23:55   #1377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Have the vehicles already reached the dealerships?
2nd batch ready for dealer dispatch.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-as1w.jpg

Thanks & a big shoutout to our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy.
RavenAvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 01:00   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
2nd batch ready for dealer dispatch.

Thanks & a big shoutout to our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy.
I see most of the cars in the pic seem to sport that gold colour scheme. I am not a fan. If Tata could get the blue shown on the altroz EV then that would be great.

Nexon gets a blue shade so don't see why the premium hatchback shouldn't.
JithinR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 06:09   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I see most of the cars in the pic seem to sport that gold colour scheme. I am not a fan. If Tata could get the blue shown on the altroz EV then that would be great.

Nexon gets a blue shade so don't see why the premium hatchback shouldn't.
Cars are made in batches of a single colour. Other colours will be coming out as well. There are two colours seen here, Red and Gold. Please be patient. The Altroz EV blue might be exclusive to the EV segment similar to the Nexon EV blue that was recently showcased.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 10:02   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, the engine bay packaging looks really, REALLY tight! Almost feels European! Very little vacant places. Nicely done. Although maintenance and part replacements will be that wee bit more effort taking. Improvements over the ageing X1 platform are clearly evident in the packaging, design and overall finish in the engine bay. Good.
Yeah and Ford should learn something from our very own TML. The engine is tight and well covered. As rightly said, the work if any would be tedious and time consuming but that's only few times in the product lifecycle.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed