Team-BHP - Facelifted Octy, Cheaper Laura EDIT : Laura Elegance
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Facelifted Octy, Cheaper Laura EDIT : Laura Elegance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/16793-facelifted-octy-cheaper-laura-edit-laura-elegance-3.html)

Why have ppl here started comparing the Laura with a mere CIVIC! this is so absurbd imho!

they are classes apart, technology apart, luxuries apart! if u compare it for its size. then even the contessa is bigger than the Laura!

at high speed the civic is so damn scary! just doesnt hold its grounds! matter of fact, even the heavier ACCORD is bad at high speeds on the highway, compared to the Octavia itself! the laura is way way better in that!

@ Maxbhp: the difference in showroom price is 2 lks, because of thos increase, everything else increases - registration, Insurance, and sparepart prices, hehehe... hence ppl still dont look at it just as "2 lk" difference!

Skoda doing a maruti here by going for a facelift on its successfull model to keep it running further.Similarly they are following the baleno stategy in case of the laura.

Well The only sad thing in all this is the honda competetors just are not learning.Honda keeps catching them on the backfoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Devil
Why have ppl here started comparing the Laura with a mere CIVIC! this is so absurbd imho!

they are classes apart, technology apart, luxuries apart! if u compare it for its size. then even the contessa is bigger than the Laura!

at high speed the civic is so damn scary! just doesnt hold its grounds! matter of fact, even the heavier ACCORD is bad at high speeds on the highway, compared to the Octavia itself! the laura is way way better in that!

Skoda and Honda Civic are both cars for the masses worldwide and not classes apart. Only in India they both are considered as 'luxury' cars. Civic and Laura both have latest tech. Size wise pretty similar too. Civic is quite good at 'holding grounds' let me assure you, the high speed ride is very solid. Civic is sold worldwide and if the ride of civic/accord was scary at 150kmph+ it would not sell at all in advanced markets as it is currently doing. Upto 140kmph, my OHC was quite ok. Honda are known for their stiffer setups and less body roll.

Quote:

Absolute rubbish. Have you driven the Civic yourself?

Just because its light and Japanese should not make you arrive at the assumption that it is "scary" at high speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

Just because its light and Japanese should not make you arrive at the assumption that it is "scary" at high speeds.

Its not 'light' either.... weighs in almost the same as the octi.
But civic im sure is wider and has a wider track so will be as stable as octi if not more.

Check out the concept cars from Skoda...

Skoda Tudor
Yeti II
Yeti

http://www.skoda-auto.com/global/model/concepts/

I have driven the CIVIC at 130 kmph here on a particular road called the Necklace road, which has a good stretch of straight road and then bad curves. it was actually scary at speeds in those turns. while i make those turns everyday in the Laura. and quiet a bit of times in the Tucson too, and feel more confident in the Tucson than the civic. havent driven an octy so wont say how it drives.

Fo highspeed drivings, Honda does have other cars which are more stable at ultra high speeds for US/UK and all.... if a person is actually planning for very high speeds, he wud as well go for the Honda Legend! now thats one fine car with a lovely grip on the road!

So basically honda has cars which are incompetent and competent too. they have to do it coz of the pricewars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

It may not be scary, but it is definitely more 'wafty' (for want of a better word) than other cars. Ditto with the Accord. Both are best driven upto 140kmph - anything more is a bit iffy.

Weight is only one part that contributes towards stability. Heck, if lightweight = unstable, all racecars would weight the same as a truck!

Suspension geometry, length, wheelbase, track, aerodynamics, wheel/tyre size - all these contribute towards the stability of a particular car. Easiest way to improve your stabilty would be to upgrade to better tyres.

Skoda has priced the laura way too much on the higher side. Now, as the competition gets hotter, they're just bringing it down. Nothing exciting about it. An overpriced car being brought to it's real price.
And a facelift for Octy?? That's what a laura is. The Octavia was replaced by the new octavia which we got it as LAURA!
Shame on Skoda! for following cheap gimmicks which we only expected from the Koreans!

Quote:

Shame on Skoda! for following cheap gimmicks which we only expected from the Koreans!
Have you forgotten the price revisions when Honda replaced the OHC with the NHC? They provided a better (from the laymans viewpoint) overall car, for less money. So basically they sold an inferior car at a high price as at that time they had no competition. And why not. They are not in the business of charity.

Not sure why you brought the Korean's into this, they usually price their vehicles at the correct point, but are only forced into discounts when it doesn't sell (Elantra/Emberra).

I have driven the 2002 Camry, and it felt much like what the members here have described the Civic and Accord. At high speeds I felt the vehicle slipping, but was not severe enough to create any problems. Anyhow on a highway I felt more strain on my hands trying to keep the car from wafting/slipping etc.

Now I can compare that feeling to the Lincoln Continental that I rented once, it didn't give me any trouble at high speeds at all. No wafting, no slipping and I felt as if minor adjustments at high speeds the vehicle did it itself. It was a very satisfying experience driving that car.

I would compare the Camry/Accord/Civic etc to Nissan cars. I feel Nissan is probably one of the Japanese carmakers that makes cars which feel solid on the highway across all its categories. The Nissan Sentra felt slightly better when compared to the 2002 Camry, the last I drove it.

IN 2003 Camry underwent a complete model-makeover, I have no inputs on that model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
An overpriced car being brought to it's real price.
And a facelift for Octy?? That's what a laura is. The Octavia was replaced by the new octavia which we got it as LAURA!

Family trait

Old Octy sold in East Europe and Octy Classic

3 gen of VW Jetta sold in China- (2nd, 4th and 5th) as the Jetta, Bora, Selatar

2 versions of the Golf (1st and 5th) as the Citigolf and Golf in South Africa

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
Skoda has priced the laura way too much on the higher side. Now, as the competition gets hotter, they're just bringing it down. Nothing exciting about it. An overpriced car being brought to it's real price.

They are still making a killing on the Superb and Laura....initially the Superb price was adjusted to the CBU cars that they were importing directly from the Czech plant. Now they have silently gone CKD....yet the price of Superb and Laura has not changed.

It seems most of the foreign car companies take the INdian customers for 'suckers'. They will launch an overpriced new car on the conviction that somebody or the other will always fall for it just for brownie points and one-upmanship sakes. After a while, they will quietly start importing CKD kits of the same car as they expand capabilities OR their plant gets freed up of an older model and launch an 'economy' model of the same overpriced car managing to give the impression that they are doing a huuuge favor on the customer and the Indian automobile industry by managing to squeak in a price-cut.

Isn't this what is going on ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Have you forgotten the price revisions when Honda replaced the OHC with the NHC? They provided a better (from the laymans viewpoint) overall car, for less money. So basically they sold an inferior car at a high price as at that time they had no competition. And why not. They are not in the business of charity.

agree: Sir!
But the OHC was expensive to make than the NHC!
And in the OHC, they had to cover the investments they made initially to launch Honda in India! for the NHC they had a lesser amount to cover.
I would suggest Skoda to learn from what Honda did. laura should've been priced the same way as NHC or atleast same like Octy!

And Koreans! that was just some masala to the story! And they're very much infamous for their cheap marketing gimmicks. like comparing a Sonata with a Merc and saying they're better.:D
(Please, No offence here!!!)