Team-BHP - The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/171770-mahindra-xuv300-aka-ssangyong-tivoli-edit-launched-7-9-lakhs-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4515446)
lI initially thought using the XUV name was a bad move, and would backfire like the Bajaj Discover fiasco, but the more I thought of it, it made sense. :thumbs up

I think XUV branding can pull it off in this segment and product. This one does have some XUV traits like a feature loaded cabin and a punchy engine. Hopefully it offers similar value proposition as well.

XUV doesn't have a rugged image to it like the Scorpio either - its more of a sophisticated crossover image. Using it on something as small as a KUV or as utilitarian as a TUV for example would have seriously backfired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4515260)
The extended DRL is overdone but otherwise it seems a mature design, almost bordering on boring. Even the interiors seem boring but pretty spacious. Another observation - the car seems low from a SUV point of view. Anyone knows what the GC figure is?

Exactly, its overdone. Funnily it looks like the pearl garland that we Maharashtrians wear during our wedding on our forehead. :uncontrol

Given the sheer number of cars Mahindra has been launching and with most of them being duds, I saw the XUV 300 on a Bombay road a few weeks ago and I didn't bother to take any shots. I assumed it has launched and in all likelihood sank without much of a trace. So this thread was a bit of a surprise. In flesh, it looked okay if I remember correctly. Nothing memorable which made you go "wow". It's like medium pacer coming out of India in the 1990s. Most did a decent job, no one was memorable as such.

I think still we don't have much clarity on the boot space. Looking at the wide stance, my guess is it will surely have bigger boot than brezza but if Mahindra can throw in a class leading boot then this might just be a winner

Hope naming it XUV doesn't mean it carries the trait from big brother with respect to boot space :)

This one looks like a toy. Or some kid's weekend play-doh project. They should do something about those sharp lines on its face. And lose that bump below the C pillar.

Why is Mahindra dishing out all these ugly cars? After the original Scorpio, they haven't given us a decent looking car. The ugliest front end belonged to the Xylo. We forgave the XUV because it was large and priced well. And then they followed with a slew of ugly looking cars - the Quanto, the TUV300, the KUV100 and the Nuvosport.

I bet they will beat the Pontiac Aztek one day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 4515625)
I think still we don't have much clarity on the boot space. Looking at the wide stance, my guess is it will surely have bigger boot than brezza but if Mahindra can throw in a class leading boot then this might just be a winner

Hope they have sliding rear seats so that boot space can be increased or decreased by compromising on rear leg space.

Personally I like the boxy front face. The rear is a little bit too rounded and doesn't really gel well with the front looks. Wish the rear was a bit sharper. Hopefully it will look sharper in real than it seems like in pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYSO (Post 4515716)
Hope they have sliding rear seats so that boot space can be increased or decreased by compromising on rear leg space.

I don't remember seeing that on any 2 row car. Even XUV does not offer sliding seats.

Rear seat recline might be feasible though

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4515528)
I think XUV branding can pull it off in this segment and product. This one does have some XUV traits like a feature loaded cabin and a punchy engine. Hopefully it offers similar value proposition as well.

XUV doesn't have a rugged image to it like the Scorpio either - its more of a sophisticated crossover image. Using it on something as small as a KUV or as utilitarian as a TUV for example would have seriously backfired.

Agree with that. The grille is finished well on the 3OO and looks smart. The interiors are feature laden. It has a sunroof. Looks good on space too. Broadly all things the 5OO seems to have except the AT and a petrol engine. Somehow it doesn't look like a Cheetah like it's elder brother. But we could ignore that part as I think the car looks smart and if it gets priced well. And that is what I am not sure given how the cars in this segment are being priced - the Brezza at one end and the Creta at the other. It's a big decision Mahindra has to take to pull in customers. Will it be the sedan buyers or will it come from Brezza / Nexon or Creta? How will the trims get defined? Am surely looking forward to this one.

https://youtu.be/l6q5Kr35on0

The Spec sheet looks impressive; to come with a 1.5 Common rail turbo-Diesel (as the Marazzo) and 1.2 Turbopetrol (to be used by Ford India clap:) with 17" alloy wheels. The sub 4 metre length attained by chopping the bumpers gives it a boxy look which to me isn't all that attractive.

Mahindra!! Once again at it. More creases per car. More lines per panel. It's becoming very difficult to like their designs. Design elements all over the place. Do they pay their designers per line, crease, panel. On the flipside, some cars look bad in photos. Hope it's the case here.

Disclaimer: I own their design masterpiece, the KUV!!! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4515260)
The extended DRL is overdone but otherwise it seems a mature design, almost bordering on boring.

Spot on. The extended DRLs have a Cadillac-esque feel but lack that kind of sophistication. Otherwise, basing the design elements on XUV500 would seem like a safe decision and not particularly exciting. What could actually be exciting is the power delivery, torque delivery and the gadgetry involved - stuff that 'appears' to be eclipsing the competition as of now.

Tivoli is around 4202mm long. How on earth did they shave of 202mm in length just by shaving off the bumpers? I also think this will be priced closer to Creta than Nexon going by the pricing of Tivoli here in Australia. The Rexton is priced more in India and comes with lesser features than the Rexton being sold here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 4515843)
Tivoli is around 4202mm long. How on earth did they shave of 202mm in length just by shaving off the bumpers? I also think this will be priced closer to Creta than Nexon going by the pricing of Tivoli here in Australia. The Rexton is priced more in India and comes with lesser features than the Rexton being sold here.

My guess is that the XUV300 is not actually based on the international Tivoli, but rather an in-house development which has taken cues from the Tivoli in terms of design. Mahindra has enough platforms and power train options available and I do not think they would have gone and developed the Tivoli from ground up for India. And as far as pricing goes, Mahindra would and should price it at par with the Nexon, Brezza and the Ecosport, which will anyway overlap the Creta base E variants. But the mid and high variants of the Creta are much higher up the ladder, at 16-18 lakhs on road, which the XUV300 might not venture into.

The fancy features like 17-inch wheels, sun roof, dual zone climate control and 7 airbags will surely be part of the top grade only. Now after multiple price hikes for the Nexon, it is very close to Brezza in term of price. I expect Mahindra to price the top minus one variant of 3OO undercutting the Z+/XZ+ by some margin. Ford, after introducing the S variant has given Mahindra some room to breath and 3OO top variant will be at par with EcoSport S (or maybe a few grands less). The sub-4 metre SUV's anyways overlap Creta base variants and Mahindra is aware of this. I dont think they will have Creta in their mind while pricing the 3OO. Creta top variant is 15+ lacs ex-showroom and Mahindra has a lot of space to play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4515446)
I believe this will do well, with the XUV branding, over the bulbous Nexon. I initially thought using the XUV name was a bad move, and would backfire like the Bajaj Discover fiasco, but the more I thought of it, it made sense. :thumbs up

This should do well. I watched Tivoli reviews on youtube and the product is generally well appreciated except some minor grievances.This one in my opinion is a mature design compared to XUV. Using the XUV name is a good move since the brand has good market recall and this is also seems like a good product (based on Tivoli reviews). Hope the next XUV 500 when they launch it will show some restraint in design like its little brother 300.