Team-BHP - The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/171770-mahindra-xuv300-aka-ssangyong-tivoli-edit-launched-7-9-lakhs-21.html)

Anticipating a launch in mid Feb-2019, unofficial bookings commence at some dealerships, with booking amount Rs 11,000 (Rs 10,000 in Mumbai) which will be refunded in case of cancellation.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:

The XUV300 will come with a 123hp 1.5-litre diesel and a 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine, both mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. The XUV300 is likely to be priced around Rs 7.5 lakh going upto Rs 12 lakh for the top-spec W8 variant that will also come with a sunroof.

On closer look the Mahindra's quirky design continues with its curves at the rear.( circled)

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0-2.jpg

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkingsley (Post 4516584)
Always wondered how the lowest NCAP rated Car, the Swift, is one of the highest selling car in India.

+1

However, due to recent higher NCAP stars(& its extensive media courage) of cars like Nexon, Marazzo and Brezza, normal buyers have started considering NCAP safety rating of respective cars.

Just my thoughts, but Tivoli is a really good looking car, in trying to get this under the sub-4 meter segment, the rear end of Mahindra's version looks just hilarious, below is the original rear end of the Tivoli

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-tivoli2.jpg

Not everything should be made to fit a sub-4 meter segment, sometimes it might turn out to be penny wise pound foolish, this looks like a prime example of it, how much ever we might say that we Indian's care about money, but when it comes to getting a brilliant looking product, we just might pay the additional moolah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwdriva (Post 4516820)
No matter how well designed they are, at the end of the day, Tata and Mahindra simply cannot compete with the quality of a global manufacturer's platform (yet)!

I agree with regard to Mahindra, Tata cars I haven't owned. The difference is very evident if you also own/ previously owned Japanese or European brands or Ford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4517171)
Just my thoughts, but Tivoli is a really good looking car, in trying to get this under the sub-4 meter segment, the rear end of Mahindra's version looks just hilarious, below is the original rear end of the Tivoli

I am appalled seeing how Mahindra took a beautiful looking car and turned it into an ugly one. The Tivoli definitely had character which is missing in this ugly mod-job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4517011)
I think TUV will have its own set of customers, (though sales might drop drastically) especially from rural areas due to the rugged nature of the vehicle compared to all the other choices available.

Yep. Even if the world re-ran itself, with a constant replay, I'd fall in love with the TUV every single time. Or the TUV Plus. You bet that it will have its own set of customers, even in urban areas. But, and that's a huge "but", with BS VI looming, it's bound to be a different story. More on that in my other reply below.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarStruck (Post 4516990)
I have been following the TUV 3oo threads to the T, with the intention to buy it :). While I loved the car (thanks to the splendid reviews and knowledgeable comments on Team-BHP :thumbs up), the only consideration was lack of a petrol engine, given the threats on diesel vehicles whenever the pollution concern raises its ugly head in Delhi NCR. This XUV 3oo seems to tick this box, atleast for me.

Firstly, welcome.

You're right to be concerned about the lack of a petrol version in any model you'd be considering.
Quote:

I was wondering though, if XUV 3oo is priced to compete with Ecosport, Nexon or Brezza, would it also hurt the sales of TUV 3oo?
You also need to consider the impact of BS VI in a year or two. Diesel BS VI cars are set to cost around 2 lacs more than their petrol counterparts. So any vehicle that remains diesel-only is going to lose out to models that also come in petrol. The TUV is likely to be relegated to those haplessly in love with it and to those who need its ruggedness. The Ecosport, Nexon, Brezza, the XUV 300...all of these with their petrol versions are set to reign supreme.

To be fair, BS VI is going to be the death of diesel cars as far as urban customers are concerned. Hell, I foresee even cab operators turning to petrol fleets once diesels cost them +2 lacs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4517148)
On closer look the Mahindra's quirky design continues with its curves at the rear.( circled)

I think designers are getting overpayed at Mahindra, as they are used to provide some additional (unwanted) curves to whatever car designs they work on. A neat design and an over design do not seem to have any difference in Mahindra world. If Mahindra were a chicken farm, even the eggs would have been having lot of curves on them.

Quote:

Not everything should be made to fit a sub-4 meter segment, sometimes it might turn out to be penny wise pound foolish

I believe otherwise.

The skillset needed to take on Brezza v/s being a rival for Creta is vastly different.

The Marazzo diesel may not be considered at par with the Hyundai 1.6 - but might be the class leader in the sub4m segment.

The interiors, feature set, sunroof etc just about makes it a Creta rival (subject to quality being good), but the Brezza class has much lower expectations.

Mahindra, especially XUV brand value at the 10L price point is much higher than at 15L levels.

By taking an average compact SUV (As per international reviews of the Tivoli) which could have struggled against Creta and the likes, into a sub-4m rival - Mahindra might have just pulled off a masterstroke, if the pricing is also right now.

Quote:

Not everything should be made to fit a sub-4 meter segment, sometimes it might turn out to be penny wise pound foolish, this looks like a prime example of it, how much ever we might say that we Indian's care about money, but when it comes to getting a brilliant looking product, we just might pay the additional moolah.

The real volumes are in the sub 4-meter segment. Brezza, Nexon, Eco sport, and WRV combined do around 25,000 units a month. Imagine if Mahindra takes 20-25% of that pie with a fully loaded product, that would be 5-6,000 units a month. I know, this may be less than their targets but is a fair number considering that Brezza would be hard to dethrone and Mahindra will pull numbers from the other three. On top of this, our laws also favour the sub 4-meter products giving them tax advantages.
Coming to the petrol engine that will be offered, i have hopes from this engine as Ford would be sharing it going forward. Had it been Mahindra only engine, i would have doubts.
Someone rightly commented on the quality offered by Indian OEM's. I agree with the Mahindra partmlooking it their current portfolio, but Tata is very much there in terms of quality. Tata is no Hyundai at the moment but is better than Maruti and at par with Honda. You have to see Brezza and Nexon back to back and you will be surprised. Brezza 'feels' like a 6-7L rupee car in front of Nexon when it comes to interiors.

I think, they should have sold the full length Tivoli as the XUV300 rather than waiting to chop it. After chopping, it is more like a XUV100 and not 300.

Moreover the sub 4m segment is already crowded with the formidable Maruti taking most of the pie. On the other hand Creta is alone in the 10-15L segment. They could have priced it better compared to the overpriced Creta than compete with the excellently priced Brezza. It would be impossible for Mahindra to beat Maruti in pricing.

They could sell more cars with better margins in the 10-15L segment than they would in the sub 4m segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic-sense (Post 4517897)
I think, they should have sold the full length Tivoli as the XUV300 rather than waiting to chop it.---

Rumour has it, they will stretch the XUV 3OO and make it XUV4OO and in the process it will be a 7 seater and will rival Hyundai's upcoming 7 seat Creta and the SUV from Maruti Suzuki.

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4517899)
Rumour has it, they will stretch the XUV 3OO and make it XUV4OO and in the process it will be a 7 seater and will rival Hyundai's upcoming 7 seat Creta and the SUV from Maruti Suzuki.

Link

They must be nuts to chop a >4m car to make it <4m and then stretching another <4m car to make it >4m. Wonder who gives them these stupid ideas.

Mahindra XUV3OO launch on February 15, 2019.

New XUV300 to get a 1.5-litre diesel and 1.2-litre petrol engine(Turbo). Only MT variant at Launch.

Quote:

Both engines will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox for now, with an automatic transmission expected to be introduced later

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic-sense (Post 4517959)
They must be nuts to chop a >4m car to make it <4m and then stretching another <4m car to make it >4m. Wonder who gives them these stupid ideas.

They will not stretch the <4m car to >4m for XUV400, they will use the original Tivoli for that (like how Ssangyong Rexton became Mahindra G4 Alturas) to rival the Creta etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdityaDeane (Post 4518038)
They will not stretch the <4m car to >4m for XUV400, they will use the original Tivoli for that to rival the Creta etc.

Better to wait for a more credible source before speculating so deep about that article.

First time I'm hearing that website. Looks like clickbait stuff to me.