Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:41   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I believe the engine is a 3-cylinder? Any idea on the refinement of this engine? I remember the Polo 1.2 petrol with a 3-cylinder engine and it was horrendous!!! Sluggish, more vibrations and noisy. Sounded like a diesel.
Being a turbo,it wouldn't have that high vibrations and noise as a NA 3 cylinder engine. I remember driving the Ecoboost and it wasn't bad.
With the Baleno,i hope the engine actually delivers that 100bhp since it will be good fun on a light car.
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:43   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
I believe the engine is a 3-cylinder? Any idea on the refinement of this engine? I remember the Polo 1.2 petrol with a 3-cylinder engine and it was horrendous!!! Sluggish, more vibrations and noisy. Sounded like a diesel.
You can have an idea about the refinement by going through this video

I can tell you a bit about the initial impressions of this engine(got to experience it when my SA was called for its training)-

-Isn't as revv friendly as 1.2 K series
-Exhaust note is a bit harsh(enthusiasts may like it, common man won't).
-Vibrations at idle was more than 1.2K series. Becomes smooth with little throttle input.
-Most of the action is between 2000 and 5000rpm. Its pointless to take it beyond 5k rpm.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd February 2017 at 18:47.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:13   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I had the opportunity to check this car in person way back in December 2015 . Details available on first page of this thread. I had bought new Baleno in November 2015 and I could immediately make out the difference in NVH. But it was more than a year back and I hope Maruti engineers have reduced the vibrations. At idle, the engine sounded rough compared to my butter smooth 1.2 engine. Also there was vibrations on steering wheel at idle. Maruti engineers were staying in same hotel, next room and I had built good rapport with them in 3 days

Live chat on Booster Jet Engine :

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img20170223wa0014.jpg

I hope Maruti has not detuned the engine as per reports.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th February 2017 at 09:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the edit post function instead of a new post. Thanks
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:31   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Being a turbo,it wouldn't have that high vibrations and noise as a NA 3 cylinder engine. I remember driving the Ecoboost and it wasn't bad.
With the Baleno,i hope the engine actually delivers that 100bhp since it will be good fun on a light car.
I believe Maruti Suzuki claims it will deliver 112 bhp.

Quote:

I can tell you a bit about the initial impressions of this engine(got to experience it when my SA was called for its training)-

-Isn't as revv friendly as 1.2 K series
-Exhaust note is a bit harsh(enthusiasts may like it, common man won't).
-Vibrations at idle was more than 1.2K series. Becomes smooth with little throttle input.
-Most of the action is between 2000 and 5000rpm. Its pointless to take it beyond 5k rpm.

Regards,
Shashi
Well by your impression and the video, I doubt I am going to like it. I was contemplating a replacement for my Polo 1.6 and some suggested the Baleno RS. I personally don't think this will cut it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had the opportunity to check this car in person way back in December 2015 . Details available on first page of this thread. I had bought new Baleno in November 2015 and I could immediately make out the difference in NVH. But it was more than a year back and I hope Maruti engineers have reduced the vibrations. At idle, the engine sounded rough compared to my butter smooth 1.2 engine. Also there was vibrations on steering wheel at idle. Maruti engineers were staying in same hotel, next room and I had built good rapport with them in 3 days
I don't think a 3 cylinder can ever be as smooth as a 4 cylinder even if you add a turbo.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:38   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Document

If this document is to be believed, its 100BHP/150Nm tune for India, as opposed to 110BHP/170Nm tune in international markets.

Quote:
I was contemplating a replacement for my Polo 1.6
If refinement is your topmost priority, then the Baleno RS certainly won't meet your requirements. It can never compete with any 4 cylinder engine in terms of refinement. However I must add, it is way better than the Polo MPI 3 cylinder.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd February 2017 at 20:41.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:41   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

I hope Maruti has not detuned the engine as per reports.
The detuning might be a good thing if the NVH is reduced and low end torque is improved (as per reports on the internet the turbo kicks in a 1750 rpm instead of 2000 rpm on the foreign spec engine).
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:45   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think a 3 cylinder can ever be as smooth as a 4 cylinder even if you add a turbo.
Quote:
If refinement is your topmost priority, then the Baleno RS certainly won't meet your requirements.
We need to look how the Baleno RS drives in Indian road conditions . Internationally the Boosterjet has been applauded for its performance.

Here is one from the Germans!
Quote:
The motors are also brand new. In the strongest version is a square-shaped three-cylinder gasoline named Boosterjet under the hood, which draws its power from the cooperation with a compact turbocharger: Putzmuntere 111 hp with 5500 revolutions are a word for an engine , which has only about one liter displacement .

The Suzuki engine have created a sophisticated piece of technology with the new three- cylinder engine: the crankshaft is so balanced that a compensation shaft can be dispensed with, which reduces costs and internal friction. The maximum torque of 170 Newtonmeters is between 2000 and 3500 revolutions; Even uphill can be taken serpentine turnstile in third gear. Only starting at 4500 revolutions, the three-cylinder engine is clearly speaking
Quote:
Feel the top model from the stand faster than in the indicated 11.4 seconds to 100 km / h, proving to be powerful at overtaking and creates an impressive 200 km / h at the top. Our test consumption is limited, despite a dedicated driving system and numerous uphill stages: At the end our test car with 5.3 liters is only 0.8 liters above the factory specification

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd February 2017 at 20:47.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:39   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The reason it is detuned in India is due to low availability of high octane fuel,as per the interview that just got over with CV Raman
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:33   #384
BHPian

Quote:
The reason it is detuned in India is due to low availability of high octane fuel,as per the interview that just got over with CV Raman
Is there a link to the recording?

Edited:

Here it is:
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1eaKbPBmLmjJX
Old 24th February 2017, 13:51   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki announces the bookings of Baleno RS (officially)

Pre bookings for the Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS will begin on February 27 and the booking amount will be Rs 11,000.

Since some dealers were unofficially taking bookings earlier/ converting existing ones the Baleno RS starts with a waiting period.

Quote:
the Baleno RS does have a waiting period. Currently, dealers are pegging it between 4-6 weeks
Link

Boosterjet engine explained - C V Raman Exe. Dir. Tech- MSIL

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th February 2017 at 14:09.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 14:21   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Document

If this document is to be believed, its 100BHP/150Nm tune for India, as opposed to 110BHP/170Nm tune in international markets.

If refinement is your topmost priority, then the Baleno RS certainly won't meet your requirements. It can never compete with any 4 cylinder engine in terms of refinement. However I must add, it is way better than the Polo MPI 3 cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We need to look how the Baleno RS drives in Indian road conditions . Internationally the Boosterjet has been applauded for its performance.
Quote:
Based on the above, since the Baleno RS will churn out 100 bhp with 150 Nm torque, I do not think it is much of a match to the GT TSI. Hell, even the Polo 1.6 will perform better.

I find it quiet disappointing that there is so much noise made about the Baleno RS but the specifications are really nothing to write home about. They hardly touch the current competition.
Old 24th February 2017, 14:38   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on the above, since the Baleno RS will churn out 100 bhp with 150 Nm torque, I do not think it is much of a match to the GT TSI. Hell, even the Polo 1.6 will perform better.

I find it quiet disappointing that there is so much noise made about the Baleno RS but the specifications are really nothing to write home about. They hardly touch the current competition.
Let us wait for the launch to drive the car and then decide on how good/bad it is. Weight being 950 kgs ,around 102 bhp, DI engine, my guess is it will not disappoint.
During the interview with CV Raman, he was quite clear that they were aiming at the enthusiasts too apart from the other advantages of a turbo charged engine.

I just hope they price it well .
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:30   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you kidding me? The Baleno weighs less than a tonne MUCH less than the Polo. If you are talking about safety and other aspects, I can understand, but if you're talking about performance, you must be crazy to think it would not perform. There is a lot to be said about a lightweight, powerful car that is easy to chuck about not to mention with a slick manual gearbox. Driving fast is one thing but being able to confidently have a car dancing on or close to its limits is exhilarating which is what a lightweight powerful hatchback should be like to drive.
Old 24th February 2017, 17:00   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are you kidding me? The Baleno weighs less than a tonne MUCH less than the Polo. If you are talking about safety and other aspects, I can understand, but if you're talking about performance, you must be crazy to think it would not perform. There is a lot to be said about a lightweight, powerful car that is easy to chuck about not to mention with a slick manual gearbox. Driving fast is one thing but being able to confidently have a car dancing on or close to its limits is exhilarating which is what a lightweight powerful hatchback should be like to drive.
Call me crazy but I think the down fall of the Baleno RS (like all Maruti cars) will probably be its light weight. It will be a car that 'feels' fast but not very stable at high speeds. But yes, lets wait and see.
Old 24th February 2017, 17:12   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think the down fall of the Baleno RS (like all Maruti cars) will probably be its light weight. It will be a car that 'feels' fast but not very stable at high speeds. But yes, lets wait and see.
Straight-line stability is over rated and simply isn't as much of a performance standard as less body roll, eagerness to change direction and better braking. It is not like everyone is driving these cars at 200kmph and hopefully all the "enthusiasts" out there know how to master the technique of controlling a lightweight car. All you need are quicker and sharper responses to match. Like I said, if you are talking about safety, you may have a point, but in terms of performance, unless one is new to cars and finds it difficult to add corrective input and would rather rely on sheer weight for straighline stability while sacrificing performance in other departments, you will find that lighter is always better put the two on a track and you will be surprised. The Baleno will not only "feel fast" but ought to lap quicker as well due to its lightweight and manual gearbox. There is a very good reason why cars like the Esteem, City, Zen, Cedia have dominated the Indian racing scene instead of heavyweights like the Octavia or Punto. Stability is all very good for cruising at effortless speed but when its comes to corners and mashing the throttle down, and putting in the effort to go faster what you want is a car that can react as quick as possible and that means less weight.

Don't get me wrong, if I were to pick a car it would be the GT TSI (actually a used NA 1.6 Fabia would be my first choice ) but that is because of the everyday convenience and sense that it makes. If performance is my sole criteria I would be very wary of any Baleno RS in my field of sight.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th February 2017 at 17:25.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks