Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 19:58   #286
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks for the info! So, are we getting rear disk brakes in the Indian variant too?
Very likely, yes since the cars on test in India and photographed in many Indian cities (posted earlier in this thread) had disc brakes.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:13   #287
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Detuning can be attributed to poor fuel quality. It's a shame, that even after paying about 150% of the cost, in taxes, we get such fuel.

Rear discs can be expected, aka S-cross. Hope, it comes in Zeta model also.
Old 28th January 2017, 07:12   #288
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What's your opinion of the Suzuki 1 litre Turbo Petrol engine?

Does it rock you back in your seat when accelerating, with G forces coming into play the way the 1.6 S Cross or the 2 litre Yeti does?

I d love to know!

Indeed if the above is true and they plonk this engine into the Brezza, do you consider it will be powerful enough for that 'surge' to happen even in a vehicle which is proportioned like, and is as heavy as, the Brezza?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 11:42   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What's your opinion of the Suzuki 1 litre Turbo Petrol engine?

Does it rock you back in your seat when accelerating, with G forces coming into play the way the 1.6 S Cross or the 2 litre Yeti does?
With 20% increase in Power and 30% increase in torque from the existing K12 engine, I don't think it'll be ground breaking acceleration. But, a decent one.

Brezza will only be happy to use the torque. Yes, for Baleno and forthcoming Swift, it might make a lot of difference and change the driving characteristics all together.
Old 28th January 2017, 21:14   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Pardon me, if its a repost.

This is how it should sound , forward it to 1:30 -
Thanks for this. Though the idle sounds has an element of the Nano's two cylinder once it gets going the engine sound good from outside. Loved the way the engine sounds inside as well.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 28th January 2017, 23:18   #291
BHPian

This is what the Team-BHP news article says:
Quote:
Once launched, the Baleno RS is expected to compete against the likes of the VW Polo GT TSI and Abarth Punto.
Isn't the power a bit too low for it to compete?? This is no RS! This is called taking people for a ride.

Manufacturers think a lot and the eventually make half hearted decisions like these. It is about time one of the big ones really take a chance and launch a real RS. I know this has been told time and again on this forum and maybe even in this thread, I can't help but reiterate.

--------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Detuning can be attributed to poor fuel quality. It's a shame, that even after paying about 150% of the cost, in taxes, we get such fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Where did the 10 horses go? I hope it's only fuel quality that forced this detuning.
This is what the manufacturers like you to believe. its all marketing.
I know for a fact that the Jaguar F-type R (5L V8, 550 bhp) drinks normal fuel. You read it right, just your regular normal petrol, the one you put in your 50cc moped. It doesn't need even need fuel with additives, let alone one with a higher octane rating.
Mind you, it is not a NA engine but a supercharged engine, thus it does run higher compression ratios.

For a more technical comparison, the Jag has a specific output of 110 bhp/litre. Same for the Baleno RS before the detune.

Last edited by jalsa777 : 28th January 2017 at 23:26.
jalsa777 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 11:13   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post

Manufacturers think a lot and the eventually make half hearted decisions like these. It is about time one of the big ones really take a chance and launch a real RS.
Polo TSi is a proper 4 cylinder unit. Power is there for the entire RPM range. No vibrations, nothing. There are gonna be limitations of a 3 cylinder 1 Litre engine like turbo lag and higher NVH levels. Though, a prospective customer of Polo TSi will evaluate the Baleno boosterjet and being a Maruti is its biggest card to be honest. Maruti's decision to lower the peak power rating can only be attributed to their and the general public's never ending desire for higher FE numbers. After all its feather light, its just 1 Litre, 3 pot motor, why shouldn't it have mind boggling FE numbers. It being lighter, can still be as fast or as FTD as the Polo. Believe me, Polo isn't that sporty either. The suspension is too soft and steering is too light. As far as FTD small cars are in question, nothing beats the 1st gen Swift with 1.2k non VVT engine. Polo is only about that gem of an engine and the lovely 7 speed DSG. The new Swift can be that good, I hope. But I have no hopes from the Baleno RS.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 22:59   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Isn't the power a bit too low for it to compete?? This is no RS! This is called taking people for a ride...
Polo GT has a power output of 105 bhp while Baleno RS has 100 bhp, pretty much in the same ball park. When you compare this to the Abarth, it's not too close. But yeah, we can consider these as RS by Indian standards since these versions use a different hardware compared to the normal variants.

And for the real RS variants - am not sure which manufacturer will offer one, since almost all such performance cars have flunked royally in the market. A vast majority of us believe the Abarth is overpriced for what it offers (inspite of the huge kit on offer), dreaming of something in the sub 10L will remain a dream I suppose. The GT twins managed the price perception with almost no additional kit and a whole lot is happy with the performance numbers Vs price factor.

I think our market really needs to mature to accept something of this sort. Probably another 5 years and we may.

Quote:
....This is what the manufacturers like you to believe. its all marketing.
I know for a fact that the Jaguar F-type R (5L V8, 550 bhp) drinks normal fuel. You read it right, just your regular normal petrol, the one you put in your 50cc moped...
You are jumping the gun! The manufacturer never mentioned why did they detune it - it's speculation by a member that it could be due to the fuel quality. Is it correct - we don't know.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th January 2017 at 23:03.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 08:55   #294
BHPian

A Nexa person said RS will be launched in may. He didn't / couldn't answer questions on other details.
Looking at his attitude he might just be trying to push for Baleno / Ignis .
Old 30th January 2017, 11:00   #295
BHPian

Quote:
This is what the Team-BHP news article says:

Isn't the power a bit too low for it to compete?? This is no RS! This is called taking people for a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Polo GT has a power output of 105 bhp while Baleno RS has 100 bhp, pretty much in the same ball park. When you compare this to the Abarth, it's not too close.
When you consider power/torque to weight, the Baleno RS would be close to Abarth Punto due to the 865 Kgs kerb weight.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-baleno-rs.jpg

It might be as FTD as the Abarth with better ergonomics and service back up @ a lesser price - sweet deal, ain't it?
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 11:04   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
A Nexa person said RS will be launched in may.
Looking at his attitude he might just be trying to push for Baleno / Ignis .
Yes, do expect some vague answers from SE's. That shows the percentage of uninformed Customers is still high.

Another SE, just yesterday, informed me that, it maybe launched in another fortnight. He was also suggesting, that it could be manual and only in Alpha trim.

So, it's always better to rely on our own team (bhp), than the SE.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:52   #297
Senior - BHPian

Finally Boosterjet is about enter Indian market; good for customers pinned to Maruti alone.

It is likely that once the engine gains acceptance in the Indian market, it may find its way in Swift, Dzire, Brezza and S-Cross. These cars are heavily biased on diesel motors sourced from Fiat and any increase in petrol model (even without increase in overall sale volume) is still good to MSIL to increase its profit margin per car.
Old 30th January 2017, 20:57   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

You are jumping the gun! The manufacturer never mentioned why did they detune it - it's speculation by a member that it could be due to the fuel quality. Is it correct - we don't know.
I completely agree with you.

But on the flipside, even without the manufacturer saying anything, if most people speculate this to be the case, means that some guy at some point in time did a hell of a good marketing job
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 19:15   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

AE's Fourth review ( long term) of the Suzuki Baleno - Boosterjet variant.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-capture.jpg

Link
Old 4th February 2017, 17:24   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
When you consider power/torque to weight, the Baleno RS would be close to Abarth Punto due to the 865 Kgs kerb weight.
It might be as FTD as the Abarth with better ergonomics and service back up @ a lesser price - sweet deal, ain't it?
Do you have the slightest idea how good that 1.4 Ltr with 145hp on tap is to say Baleno would be as FTD? A 1.0 Ltr engine would have much pronounced turbo lag and would be pain in city conditions with 4-5 onboard, trust me on this. Abarth on the other hand won't mind a little load.
And this considering the engine alone. The hydraulic engine on the Fiat combined with one of the best sorted out chassis and ride that gives fight to Octavias of today.
Baleno's dull steering and softer suspension don't stand a chance to be as FTD as the Abarth.
I agree on the ergonomics part and cheaper to own part though.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks