Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:57   #391
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

From the New Indian Express:
Quote:
"We also cannot ensure the safety of vehicles registered outside the state," said another official.
What does that even mean? Some sort of protection racket? If I take my KL car to KA, is the official declaring its safety depends on whether I have paid lifetime tax in KA or not?
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:32   #392
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
From the New Indian Express:

What does that even mean? Some sort of protection racket? If I take my KL car to KA, is the official declaring its safety depends on whether I have paid lifetime tax in KA or not?
I wouldnt read much into it. Its not like they provide "protection" for KA registered vehicles. I dont think anybody actually bothers what the registration number of the car is. Its always I/me/mycar in this mad traffic.

Last edited by m8002? : 2nd July 2016 at 11:33. Reason: grammar
Old 2nd July 2016, 17:43   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
It is indeed a veiled threat. It is not clear who the official making this statement is, but it sounds to me that if you were to approach such officials for anything - say theft or vandalism of your car, accidents and road rage incidents, resale etc. - they wouldn't lift a finger unless you have paid the protection money.
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:10   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is indeed a veiled threat. It is not clear who the official making this statement is, but it sounds to me that if you were to approach such officials for anything - say theft or vandalism of your car, accidents and road rage incidents, resale etc. - they wouldn't lift a finger unless you have paid the protection money.
Ignore it. Its just the impotent talking of a now powerless official who assumed he had a lot of power and control. As is in case of vandalism or theft the local police get involved not useless road tax authorities, so I am not sure what nonsense this man is spouting.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 3rd July 2016 at 10:38.
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 06:39   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
@suresh_gs - 93% if less than 2years
Is that on total invoice?
So 334800.00 should be cried out our pockets for a car that was invoiced for 360000.00 as on date?

Am I reading it wrong?
If your car invoice price is less than 5 lakhs and considering 2 year depreciation, the tax on your vehicle comes to 0.93*0.13*Invoice price. To this value add 11% cess.
I suppose you may have to consider swatch Bharat cess as well.
Old 4th July 2016, 08:51   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
so I am not sure what nonsense this man is spouting.
I was thinking of situations where services of, or data under the control of the RTO might be needed - like in case of an accident,. You might want to know the details of any other vehicle involved. If I remember correctly there is an RTO/MVI inspection process when you want to claim third-party damage from somebody else's insurer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I suppose you may have to consider swatch Bharat cess as well.
SBC is levied only when there is a taxable service is involved. A tax is not a service (otherwise it becomes a taxable tax).
Old 5th July 2016, 11:51   #397
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

The copy of the judgement is expected on Friday,8th July and it runs 134 pages.We are contemplating whether to file a Caveat in the Supreme court or not as we have two judgments back to back in our favor.

Our counsel is of the opinion that if the govt files a Special Leave Petition, it will be dismissed in the admission stage and it is very unlikely that an Ex parte order (Stay) will be passed by the Supreme Court.

I will update all of you on the next steps.

Jai Hind
Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:14   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear Friends,

The copy of the judgement is expected on Friday,8th July and it runs 134 pages.We are contemplating whether to file a Caveat in the Supreme court or not as we have two judgments back to back in our favor.

Our counsel is of the opinion that if the govt files a Special Leave Petition, it will be dismissed in the admission stage and it is very unlikely that an Ex parte order (Stay) will be passed by the Supreme Court.

I will update all of you on the next steps.

Jai Hind
Waseem.....
I don't understand this. Two different courts have ruled adversely to the government's thuggery. Yet they want to blatantly waste mine/yours/ours (tax payer's) money to challenge this ruling in supreme court. When they lose again will they waste time and amend their state laws or appeal to the president? Its time to write to the honorable president an appeal to dismiss the current government on account of their wasteful extravaganza and request for a presidential rule. Surely the current government is incapable of ruling a state
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:29   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are contemplating whether to file a Caveat in the Supreme court or not as we have two judgments back to back in our favor.

I think we should still file the caveat, so as to not leave anything to chance ("unlikely" is a probabilistic assessment).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:35   #400
BHPian

Quote:
I would instead hope the Supreme Court takes up the issue & asks Govt to sort this out at a national level, there is no reason why each state should have its own rules especially for movement between states.
Old 5th July 2016, 14:03   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

The copy of the judgement is expected on Friday,8th July and it runs 134 pages.We are contemplating whether to file a Caveat in the Supreme court or not as we have two judgments back to back in our favor...
Is it possible to get a deadline also for the release of the impounded vehicles & tax refunds? This way, the owners know when to expect the results & also there'll be an explicit verdict of releasing the vehicle which the RTO is avoiding by stating "unclear judgement".
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 09:56   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is it possible to get a deadline also for the release of the impounded vehicles & tax refunds?
This is for the owners of the vehicles so impounded to follow up. They can cite the judgment here and demand the vehicles back with refund, interest and compensation.
Old 6th July 2016, 10:50   #403
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I spoke to the Minister Of Transport and The Transport Commissioner of Karnataka this morning on the recent judgement delivered by the Honorable High Court Of Karnataka.

Both of them have assured me that all the RTO officials in the state will be instructed to release Vehicles/Documents which were impounded under the 30 day rule.

Please ping me if you face any kind of hurdle in getting your vehicles/documents released.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 23:08   #404
Senior - BHPian

Update From Our Lawyer.

The certified copy of the judgement is expected on Monday,11th July 2016.I will scan and upload the copy as soon as I get it.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 08:27   #405
Senior - BHPian

Today's The Hindu.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8826232.ece

Waseem.....
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-hi.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks