Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 15:14   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

What is wrong with the sales of the Captur? I haven't seen even one on the roads of Navi Mumbai. Is it really a sales disaster for Renault or some supply issue.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 15:39   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
What is wrong with the sales of the Captur? I haven't seen even one on the roads of Navi Mumbai. Is it really a sales disaster for Renault or some supply issue.
There is nothing exciting to buy a Captur, it is old for today's generation.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:27   #603
BHPian

Just saw the Captur for the first time in flesh yesterday. Seems like the duster has been squeezed in from all sides .

But not a bad choice when someone is looking for a compact crossover as we all know how the term 'SUV' has evolved now!
Old 29th January 2018, 18:08   #604
BHPian

Renault launches cheaper variants of the Captur-
Quote:
Called the Captur Mono, the new variants do away with the dual-tone paint finish in favour of a single tone paint finish. This has resulted in the prices of the Captur going down by Rs. 17,000. The Mono Tone Captur is available with both petrol and diesel engines, in RXT and Platine variants
Source- cartoq

Last edited by pacman2881 : 29th January 2018 at 18:29.
Old 31st January 2018, 22:59   #605
BHPian

The single tone option was always present. Not sure what is the difference with Mono
vishnurp99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:02   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
The single tone option was always present. Not sure what is the difference with Mono
For Renault it may mean a strategy to target 'Mono'pilasation of C-SUV segment. Whatever their claims may be, this car is not worth more than Rs.13 lakhs on-road, they should just find other ways to increase margin and price it at par with competitors.

Last edited by deehunk : 1st February 2018 at 09:04.
Old 1st February 2018, 11:25   #607
BHPian

It would be doing much better numbers if they added a AT gearbox instead of these cosmetic changes, I can't remember the last time I saw a captur on the streets here.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:17   #608
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately & probably, yes! - Renault's sales & marketing team should not have tried that sleight-of-hand business at the time of the launch - trying to pass off the Indian Captur as the award-winning European item! When they are completely different creatures - and remember it was T-BHP forum members who highlighted the issue first, when the main-stream media was happily sleeping.

Such issues leave a bad taste & the memory remains in the public's mind.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:37   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Unfortunately & probably, yes! - Renault's sales & marketing team should not have tried that sleight-of-hand business at the time of the launch - trying to pass off the Indian Captur as the award-winning European item! When they are completely different creatures - and remember it was T-BHP forum members who highlighted the issue first, when the main-stream media was happily sleeping.

Lets be pragmatic here. You really think that the mass market in India even knows about this? And more than that if this would be priced well, then they will even bother about that fact? I do not think so. The car tanked for other reasons which were known even before the launch. Whatever it was, the false advertisements were not the major reason behind the debacle.
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 09:29   #610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Lets be pragmatic here. You really think that the mass market in India even knows about this? And more than that if this would be priced well, then they will even bother about that fact? I do not think so. The car tanked for other reasons which were known even before the launch. Whatever it was, the false advertisements were not the major reason behind the debacle.
Forgive me for saying this, but I believe the mass market in India understands MSIL products well and more recently they have added the lower rungs of the Hyundai range to their vocabulary (despite Hyundai's recent efforts to present themselves as the discerning buyer's choice!).

I sincerely believe that the Renault Captur is more in the ball-park of folks who read T-BHP, TAI and other auto-related media/fora. The rest of the hinterland car-buying public is not on their radar. And one should not underestimate the power of word-of-mouth grapevine or the reach of the vernacular auto media. This latter bit I'm more familiar with (living in Lucknow for a fair part of the year), so I know how quickly word goes around on topics like cars/used cars, panel TVs and other consumer durables! So, yes I believe the initial brick dropped by Renault India has a good deal to do with the Captur's box-office disaster, apart from the already drooping sales of it's precursor, the Duster.

And lastly (and this is OT!) I feel heartened that you continue to think of yourself as a student, tho' I'm sure you must be a doctor/doctorate!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 09:54   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgive me for saying this, but I believe the mass market in India understands MSIL products well and more recently they have added the lower rungs of the Hyundai range to their vocabulary (despite Hyundai's recent efforts to present themselves as the discerning buyer's choice!).
You are right, mass market has a craze for MSIL products, but the other players have failed to capitalize on initial leads either due to atrocious pricing or disastrous service network. MSIL has an advantage in this area, even if Mandovi Motors fooled a customer by providing fake service, he can to go to lots of other places in Bangalore. For people like me or harishV(Skoda) who went through nightmares for just buying a non-MSIL product, we have no choice of dealers. So it is up to the OEM's to change their destiny or continue to fall into a black hole of Indian market.
deehunk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 09:58   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately & probably, yes! - Renault's sales & marketing team should not have tried that sleight-of-hand business at the time of the launch - trying to pass off the Indian Captur as the award-winning European item!

Certainly dont think so. Their highest selling vehicle was the one which got so much of negativity even on social media for the failed crash tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Whatever it was, the false advertisements were not the major reason behind the debacle.
I believe the reason is positioning. They were so held up with the premium positioning with respect to pricing, ads and media - but failed to get it right with respect to the product against the competition. Creta is a very well rounded product with no major weaknesses, and Renault went against it without getting the product right - Smaller engines, no AWD, not as premium interiors etc - not to mention the crossover form factor which even Maruti couldn't really sell in India.

Indians prefer the upright SUV stance over crossovers. Quite evident from the fact that the age old Duster continues to sell more, even when the replacement is due.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 10:33   #613
BHPian

Quote:
My daily commute to work requires me to transit across a Renault showroom at Dombivili. Most of the time I notice that the Captur is being taken out for a test drive or is being inspected by a prospective customer or a Sales guy is explaining its features to a visitor. However I could spot none on the roads, so far.

Going by this, I had anticipated that Captur’s poor performance during 2017, was more due to year end sentiments and might regain momentum during January. However, it does not appear to be the case now and Captur seeming another DOA product. Anyways the official Team-BHP sales figures would reveal the actual fate of this machine. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 5th February 2018, 12:02   #614
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I believe the reason is positioning. They were so held up with the premium positioning with respect to pricing, ads and media - but failed to get it right with respect to the product against the competition. Creta is a very well rounded product with no major weaknesses, and Renault went against it without getting the product right - Smaller engines, no AWD, not as premium interiors etc - not to mention the crossover form factor which even Maruti couldn't really sell in India..

I had no idea the Creta (at least the made-for-India edition) came with AWD. In which case I would have certainly given it due thought. Well-rounded or not, it doesn't have the upright SUV stance by any stretch, and is as inverted-jelly-mouldish as they come (or crossover-ish if you like). The Duster sold (despite the dowdy interiors) because it had great ride/roadholding and respectable off-road credentials (the AWD version) and decent pricing.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2018 at 23:08. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readibility
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 12:42   #615
Senior - BHPian

Finally saw a Captur yesterday. I had almost forgotten that it exists and until I saw it. I am not sure if its relevant so early in its life. I think the Indian market doesnt absorb anything that you throw at it. You need to have some purpose or be the first mover to actually sell.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks