Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 22:27   #481
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

Had a look at Captur today. Also checked out the ecosport just before that. Itemized observations below..

Space & Packaging - Space is similar to Terrano/duster. The Packaging is better. Some of the ergonomic issues have been sorted.
Overall there is good sense of width in the cabin and more than adequate leg room/headroom/Knee room for somebody who is 175 centimeters. Terrano is more cramped for my driving position. Boot seemed quite small.

Looks/Presence - Despite the sleek curves, this car is no Scross. The bonnet is quite high and felt the car had great presence and looks quite tall.The alloys look really good too.

Seats - I would prefer the RXT variant. Somehow the RXT fabric + leather seats felt better to me and I would probably go for that if I finalize this. The platine seats seemed too hard and space was marginally better in RXT.
The seats had good underthigh support and adjustable headrests and were comfortable overall. Even the top variants of cars like WRV, ciaz and Verna lack underthigh support especially in back and in some cases even adjustable headrests. Was quite happy with Captur seats in comparison.

The test drive was not available. So no more feedback for now. Overall this car is still in the race for me.

The overall driving feel and the exhaustive teambhp review will be key in my decision process. But I can live with these interiors.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 09:33   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Creta everybody agree is an overpriced car. For Jeep I test drove the sports model and frankly I would not pay 18 lakh for those interiors (sports) and steel wheels. Engine was superb though.

I am in market for a high ground clearance vehicle ( monocoque) with budget of around 12 lakh.. I just love the way captur looks but I am not convinced to pay extra money and lose out on so many features which are there in Ecosport.
Well someone really searching for a car at this budget will be confused. The car segment changes completely if someone adds a dash of money to his requirements. In the given scenario, someone looking for a 5 seater will not look at EcoSport but Captur, though there may not be significant space increase over EcoSport, but it still is there. I personally checked the EcoSport at Ford Showroom and the middle seat at rear is just good enough to fold down the armrest, leave aside a 3rd person sitting will be a squeeze. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2017 at 18:00. Reason: Use of acronyms
Old 15th November 2017, 10:30   #483
BHPian

Two months back we entered into Renault via a kwid and before anyone puts their money on this captur first understand your local Renault facilities. These guys have many showrooms but 2-3 service centers for the entire city. I live 35 kms from my dealers service center.

Within 3 days kwid's oil sump got broken when a small rock hit it at crawling speed. So definitely they use cheap parts. The vehicle stayed at the service center for 5 days. Pathetic service experience would be an understatement. I had to go there, spend 5 hours, pull a mechanic and get the part fitted. Paid 7k. But my dealer asked to excuse them because the vehicle got towed to another dealer.

The first service was fair enough. No headaches. We were told not to expect anything more than 11 kmpl in the city and 16 kmpl in highways, nothing close to some 25 they advertise. So they make claims that are off by a huge margin.

The extra you pay for creta is for the peace of mind. Our verna had 10 scratches and two big dents on the left side doors. The whole denting and painting process including insurance claim was finished in 1 day with occasional calls briefing us about the progress. Exceptional service.

Renault and Hyundai are pretty much the same size companies globally. One can only guess why they don't put in the same effort. Or maybe they genuinely try to be a good company but are not able to because of low volumes or other reasons. The sales and service is good if you are lucky enough to find a good dealer. I am no fanboy but creta as a whole is just way ahead of the competition in its class.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 12:45   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Two months back we entered into Renault via a kwid and before anyone puts their money on this captur first understand your local Renault facilities. These guys have many showrooms but 2-3 service centers for the entire city. I live 35 kms from my dealers service center.
This is exactly what I have been told from my friend as well. He had some minor accident and had to replace one of the doors. He lives in Chennai and he told me that there are only 2 service centres in Chennai. He had to leave his car in the workshop for 10 days to have his door replaced. He added that for regular service, it is a pain to get quick appointment and the service takes 2 days as against 1 day from Hyundai, Maruti or any other brand.

Last edited by ampere : 29th November 2017 at 20:35.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 13:57   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Within 3 days kwid's oil sump got broken when a small rock hit it at crawling speed... The vehicle stayed at the service center for 5 days. Pathetic service experience would be an understatement. I had to go there, spend 5 hours, pull a mechanic and get the part fitted. Paid 7k. But my dealer asked to excuse them because the vehicle got towed to another dealer.
I had a different experience with my Kwid. Mine fell into a ditch and the oil sump was hit badly but surprisingly it wasn't broken. Just scuffed. My control arms were broken though and so was the black cladding on the front end and the driver side cladding. Went to Renault Service Centre and they fixed it in 15 minutes. The service centre was full of cars waiting to be repaired as well but they had mine done very quickly. And what's more, the service advisor even put it under warranty so I didn't have to pay anything 😂 Perhaps it's because of the close relationship I have with the chaps at the service centre. I understand though where you're coming from, even I had bad experiences like the one you mentioned, perhaps I'm lucky in this regard to find a good dealer (as you mentioned).

About Hyundai Service, I agree with every point you made as well. Their service and customer treatment is also as good as the Renault dealer I visit.
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 15:15   #486
BHPian

The Captur finally reached Nagaon today and they are having an unveiling at 3PM today. Demo car still hasn't reached. I was on my way to Guwahati so talked to the technician there if it was possible to see one. He took me to the service area and showed me another Captur. I got to drive it for a while inside their compound, test it's features, and also click pictures. I feel really grateful to the technician for allowing me to test the display car in this manner. Uploading some pictures I took 😊 The ground clearance is really good. However the engine note sounded a bit harsh and I was too excited to notice anything else
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738294382.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738693836.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738714556.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738736686.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738765638.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738845246.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738858112.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738876340.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738893565.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738912936.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738925649.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510738992527.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1510739010926.jpg  

wadewilson is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 14:39   #487
BHPian

Went in for a TD on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. My friend is looking for a replacement for his Vento TDi. He almost booked the Nexon but waited to drive few more vehicles before making the final decision. Hence, the Captur is into the picture. Had a look at both RXT and Platine version.
  1. It does have decent road presence. Not menacing, but decent enough
  2. It is spacious in comparison to Nexon. It can seat 5 people in comfort whereas most of the Sedans and Compact SUVs do not have sufficient space for the 5th passenger. Test drove Compass and Nexon last month and both of them cannot seat 5 in comfort while Captur can.
  3. It has a host of features and the cabin is not looking outdated as expected. The fit and finish is also good except for few hard plastics here and there.
  4. The boot space is good.
  5. The head unit is same as my Kwid but has advanced software and features.
  6. The seats in Platine is going to be pain to maintain as it is light colored leather seats.
  7. The seats offer good support and hugs you.
  8. The arm rest is fixed which I did not like. For my height and seating position, it was fine. But everyone will not be comfortable with that fixed position.

Now coming to the drive as such. Drove the Platine variant
  1. The ergonomics is sorted out. I have driven the first gen Duster extensively (Chennai - Leh - Chennai) and can be sure that the ergonomics has improved immensely. I could easily find my driving position (a bulky figure with the height of 173cms).
  2. Leave the talks of different platforms the European and Indian Captur are built and false advertising. This car drives will and is comfortable. People who are used to/traveled in the Duster will know what I am talking. It is very planted and it gobbles up bumps very easily.
  3. The NVH is very well controlled.
  4. The steering felt to be on the heavier side.
  5. The body roll was next to nil. I did not take any corners, but did some spirited driving with quick lane change for overtaking. It was a breeze.
  6. The vehicle was not very powerful but had enough on tap to coast along in 3 digit speeds.
  7. The LED headlamps are amazing.

Overall it is a good package and hope Renault doesn't goof up on the marketing and servicing front.

Immediately after this went to the Ford showroom some 500 meters away. The interior of new EcoSport felt very cramped. May be, should have come here before Captur. Will put down my observations on EcoSport in the relevant thread.
narsi_6989 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 00:46   #488
BHPian

Took a test drive of this beauty right after a Ford EcoSport test drive. What an amazing ride comfort !!! The Ford is no match. Sadly this is not really in our consideration set as there's no AT. Renault doesn't seem to be interested in marketing this product.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:29   #489
BHPian

A question for Team Bhp..

When is ur review of Captur gonna come up?

I thought its about time - more than 2 months since launch and around 3 weeks since price announcement..
SoundManiac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 20:32   #490
BHPian

Booked mine today. On the road price of rxt in dual tone is 15.5 lakhs in Kerala. Might get the car next week.
anilntny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:06   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
Booked mine today. On the road price of rxt in dual tone is 15.5 lakhs in Kerala. Might get the car next week.
Congratulations Anil. Yours is the first Captur on Team Bhp I guess. Do share your initial impressions post delivery.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:05   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
Congrats. I came out thoroughly impressed after the test drive- beautiful car with the signature (read exceptional) Renault ride-handling quality.

Are you selling off your Duster ?
Old 1st December 2017, 10:41   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congratulations Anil. Yours is the first Captur on Team Bhp I guess. Do share your initial impressions post delivery.
Sure. I am expecting delivery next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Congrats. I came out thoroughly impressed after the test drive- beautiful car with the signature (read exceptional) Renault ride-handling quality.

Are you selling off your Duster ?
Sold, last week.
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:13   #494
Team-BHP Support

Finally got to see the Captur today.

- Coming from the Duster side it definitely feels far more accomplished.
- Finally those flap handles are gone.
- Boot size looked good.
- Only 500ml bottle holders. No 1L capability.
- Seat support seems better than Duster. Driving position is definitely high even the base level.
- Could not take a TD. Only can comment on how ergonomics have improved. Had a sense it felt better than the Duster.
- Also need to experience the AC.
- Rear passenger space not any major improvement. Also had a feeling that one may have to sit upright.
- Build quality seemed better.
- Yes it gives an impression of an MPV but it sure looks good.
- Given it comes from Duster platform, I sincerely hope the abuse friendly nature and the ride quality would be carried forward.
- The service folks mentioned, that the costs of parts will be higher than the Duster.
- Did not get to see the Platine version.

All in all it definitely left me with a positive impression. Not a wow but definitely positive. Finally it comes between the interior finish of the Creta versus the Abuse friendly nature of this product. If the daily abuse part of the argument wins, I would go with Captur given I have driven a Duster for so long, plus familiarity of the service folks. (Again thats my opinion and not a universal truth! And opinions differ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Now coming to the drive as such. Drove the Platine variant
The ergonomics is sorted out. I have driven the first gen Duster extensively (Chennai - Leh - Chennai) and can be sure that the ergonomics has improved immensely. I could easily find my driving position (a bulky figure with the height of 173cms).
This speaks a lot! It sure is then a definite improvement.

Quote:
This car drives will and is comfortable. People who are used to/traveled in the Duster will know what I am talking. It is very planted and it gobbles up bumps very easily.
Had the same sense today.
Quote:
The NVH is very well controlled.
Again very positive indeed. Need to check this out for myself.

Quote:
The vehicle was not very powerful but had enough on tap to coast along in 3 digit speeds.
As long as it gives enough for me to cruise on 4-lanes and gives you enough power and traction to take on the bad city and country roads, I am good!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2017 at 09:23. Reason: Fixed Typo. Added one more point
ampere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:21   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Finally got to see the Captur today.

- The service folks mentioned, that the costs of parts will be higher than the Duster.

As long as it gives enough for me to cruise on 4-lanes and gives you enough power and traction to take on the bad city and country roads, I am good!
Hi ampere, the mechanicals are a copy paste from the 2015 110PS Duster, so service cost will be higher. Renault may have tweaked certain parameters to reduce smoke levels which can be the cause of lesser power.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks