Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2017, 20:58   #526
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Hi
My Fortuner also returned with great mileage figures in my last 300kms on an average. And it comes to 14.4km per litre including some 50 odd kms of city drive with moderate traffic and avg speed between 80 and 100kms per hour on highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_5683.jpg  

Srikanth@raj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 22:12   #527
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did you check the FE by tank-to-tank method?

Have to admit that FE figures (from MID) look good.
I generally go by the tankful to tankful method and meticulously follow the mileage on Fuelio App.

My Fortuner had its first full tank only today when I started from Chennai this afternoon. When I reached Bangalore in the evening, the fuel indicator was hovering just below the 3/4th mark.

I was expecting around 11-12 kmpl considering the fact that Bangalore is almost 950 meters above sea level and the highway climbs continuously.

I will brim it up tomorrow before I start my journey to Chennai.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 01:11   #528
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanth@raj View Post
Hi
I brought them from Autobhan Vizag. Actually those mats are meant for Innova crysta. I asked them to order mats for my new Fortuner, then he rang up someone and after talking to them, he said both platform/layout design of New Fortuner and Innova crysta are same. They are aptly fit to my new Fortuner.
The mats are really very good. By the time i cancelled the mats, they had already arrived yesterday. You are absolutely right, the 5D mats are no where as good as the 3D mats that you have it in your car, especially the middle row mats. But, since i had this Bangalore trip, i put them into the car and had to cut off a large chunk to make the mat fit in the middle row. . I will use this for sometime and when my patience runs out, i will end up buying the 3D mats that you have.

Quote:
Hi
My Fortuner also returned with great mileage figures in my last 300kms on an average. And it comes to 14.4km per litre including some 50 odd kms of city drive with moderate traffic and avg speed between 80 and 100kms per hour on highway.
Wow, that is great mileage. The picture shows the last screen in the set of four screens and it is quite amazing as to how the car calculates the money saved due to our "eco" drive.

During my drive to Bangalore this afternoon, the mileage on the MID showed 14.3 kmpl till i hit traffic right from Krishnagiri toll and ended up with 14 kmpl when i reached my home in Bangalore in KR Puram.

By the way, you could change the display from L/100 km to km/Litre via the settings.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 03:11   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I brought them from Autobhan Vizag. Actually those mats are meant for Innova crysta. I asked them to order mats for my new Fortuner, then he rang up someone and after talking to them, he said both platform/layout design of New Fortuner and Innova crysta are same. They are aptly fit to my new Fortuner.
Innova crysta's 3D mats were sold for INR 7500 before the fortuner was launched and I think the market is cashing on the Fortuner 's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys, just drive down from Chennai to Bangalore. Covered the distance of 360 kms in 5 hours
I got 14 kmpl for my entire trip to Bangalore:
Superb mileage.
Is your vehicle a 4×4 auto/manual ?

Quote:
Hi
My Fortuner also returned 14.4 kmpl including some 50 odd kms of city drive with moderate traffic and avg speed between 80 and 100kms per hour on highway.
Too good for a massive 2.8 litre engine
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 08:23   #530
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Superb mileage.
Mine is a 4x4 AT.

Since the car is new, I drove it carefully and most of the time in ECO mode. Shifted to "Normal" or "Power" mode whenever I needed to a quick or super quick overtaking manoeuvre. It was real fun to experience how a click of a button could transform the car into a beast.

The maximum speed I drove at was 125 kmph and mostly staying around the 110 kmph mark with the engine spinning at a lazy 1600 rpm.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-screenshot_20170116080426.png

I expect the mileage to increase as the car clocks more miles, provided I continue to drive it sanely.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 10:35   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 4x4 AT.

The maximum speed I drove at was 125 kmph and mostly staying around the 110 kmph mark with the engine spinning at a lazy 1600 rpm.

I expect the mileage to increase as the car clocks more miles, provided I continue to drive it sanely.

Too good.It is more fuel efficient than your old Innova

Were you using the paddle shifters most of the time or in" D "mode only.
Paddles help you squeeze out the last mile out of every drop of fuel

Endeavour 3.2 auto is a guzzler,it gave me 9 kmpl with cruise control on

Last edited by ecosport rules : 16th January 2017 at 10:37.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 10:47   #532
BHPian

Quote:
But, since i had this Bangalore trip, i put them into the car and had to cut off a large chunk to make the mat fit in the middle row. .
That's weird, the same mats did fit in my car perfectly fine without trimming them. Yes, the 3D mats look great but I assume they don't cover the hump in the middle row?

Quote:

You are already getting around 14kmpl, and you are expecting it to increase further? If yes, all the 1.5 diesels will cry out loud

The MID in my car shows around 11kmpl overall. One problem I see is that the 6th gear engages at around 110kmph+ in Eco/Normal mode. I feel we can improve the fuel economy by using paddle shifters and engage 6th gear at around 100kmph. Will try some permutations and combinations in my upcoming long tour.

But overall, I am impressed with the way this 2.8 performs and the mileage, it definitely gives a good range and saves a lot of cash on those long runs. Toyota has got the power to weight ratio perfect on this SUV
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:07   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

A question.

Are Toyota Engines allergic to Shell Diesel?
===========
But now, i am worried to fill Shell Diesel in my New Fortuner. Googled and was surprised to see information on Team-BHP itself.

Hi,

I have had my Fortuner for a few years and completed about a lakh of KMS, I always fill (normal) diesel from Shell, as long as it is available, when not, I do use Indian Oil and Bharat Petroleum too. Never had a problem. The motor runs like a dream, of course its grown louder but thats due to general wear and tear and deterioration of the insulating material, happens in all vehicles. So to answer your question I never had any problem all these years despite continuous usage of Shell Deisel.

Manmohan.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2017 at 16:03. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
manmohanmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 16:31   #534
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

Too good.It is more fuel efficient than your old Innova

Were you using the paddle shifters most of the time or in" D "mode only.
Paddles help you squeeze out the last mile out of every drop of fuel

Endeavour 3.2 auto is a guzzler,it gave me 9 kmpl with cruise control on
Thanks. By the way, I owned the old Endeavour and not the old Innova. My Old Endeavour averaged about 9 kmpl for the entire 24K kms i drove before selling it off

I did try to use the paddles, but i guess they only work when the car has reached optimum speeds to shift up. I used the paddles to down shift a gear for overtaking. It was super easy and worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
That's weird, the same mats did fit in my car perfectly fine without trimming them. Yes, the 3D mats look great but I assume they don't cover the hump in the middle row?
I checked the pics you had uploaded. The set of mats that i received had an extra 8 inches of material. The 3D mats covers the hump.

Quote:
You are already getting around 14kmpl, and you are expecting it to increase further? If yes, all the 1.5 diesels will cry out loud

I was thinking the exact same thing. My Creta with a smaller 1.6 Litre engine gives around 18 kmpl on the highway. 14 kmpl from a bigger 2.8 Litre engine is amazing.

Quote:
The MID in my car shows around 11kmpl overall. One problem I see is that the 6th gear engages at around 110kmph+ in Eco/Normal mode. I feel we can improve the fuel economy by using paddle shifters and engage 6th gear at around 100kmph. Will try some permutations and combinations in my upcoming long tour.
I can make the 6th gear engage at as low as 80 kmph, but that lugs the engine a bit, so i always shift to 6th gear when i reach 90 kpmh.
Try this: When you reach 90 kmph, slowly lift off the throttle just a little bit. This will make the transmission upshift to 6th gear. This makes the engine rotate at a lazy 1500 rpm when 100 comes up. The paddle shifters don't seem to allow the transmission to upshift at lower than 100 kmph.

Quote:
But overall, I am impressed with the way this 2.8 performs and the mileage, it definitely gives a good range and saves a lot of cash on those long runs. Toyota has got the power to weight ratio perfect on this SUV
It does give a good range. If the car averages 12 kmpl for the mix of highway and city runs, it would mean that it is still 33% more efficient when compared to my old Endeavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Hi,

I have had my Fortuner for a few years and completed about a lakh of KMS, I always fill (normal) diesel from Shell, as long as it is available, when not, I do use Indian Oil and Bharat Petroleum too. Never had a problem. The motor runs like a dream, of course its grown louder but thats due to general wear and tear and deterioration of the insulating material, happens in all vehicles. So to answer your question I never had any problem all these years despite continuous usage of Shell Deisel.

Manmohan.
Thank you very much. Your words and experience gives me and others a lot of confidence. Since i was worried about the use of Shell, yesterday, i had tanked up at a BP fuel station. I will tank up with Shell Diesel today and see if i can feel the difference.

Last edited by MAS : 16th January 2017 at 16:34.
Old 16th January 2017, 23:27   #535
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I generally go by the tankful to tankful method and meticulously follow the mileage on Fuelio App.

I will brim it up tomorrow before I start my journey to Chennai.
Today, I drove around in Bangalore city and also made a round trip to Devanahalli. The mileage on the MID came down to 13.4 kmpl.

Just brimmed the tank at Shell, KR Puram (thanks to the confidence given by Manmohanmaan). The first tankful to tankful method gave a mileage of 13.5 kmpl

Good overall mileage
&
MID is quite accurate.

Last edited by MAS : 16th January 2017 at 23:28.
Old 17th January 2017, 10:15   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been seeing a few in BLR. Silver looks like a Innova Crysta, black looks gangsta!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:44   #537
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Started from Bangalore at 5.30 am and reached home at 11.30 am with half-an-hour spent on breakfast.

On the way back, we were 4 adults and 2 children with luggage filling up the boot+one back seat.

Drove at 100-120 kmph, mostly in ECO mode. The mileage on the MID was 15.4 kmpl.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-screenshot_20170117133443.png

The 2.8L engine is very powerful and if driven in a nice way, it is also very frugal
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:34   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Thats good mileage but do note that once the run in period is over and when you no longer will drive at <100kmph pls do post the FE figures. I expect it to come down significantly depending on how often you stay in 100-120 or 120-140kmph.
Old 17th January 2017, 20:50   #539
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to drive the Fortuner sigma 4 automatic for a good 40 kms in busy city traffic.(bumper to bumper in few places)
It was a breeze driving it around, filling in gaps was super easy,felt more like a car.Kudos to Toyota for that

Was pleasantly surprised to note that the average fuel economy was 9 kmpl.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 17th January 2017 at 20:55.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 21:04   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Drove at 100-120 kmph, mostly in ECO mode. The mileage on the MID was 15.4 kmpl.
Indeed a very impressive mileage for a SUV of this size & weight. This is comparable to small SUVs like Creta, Duster etc.

For regular city runs in moderate traffic, I was given to understand that it would be around 9 km/l +-. I would have imagined highway driving would be 11 km/l+-. But this is really great mileage. Congratulations!
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks