Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 16:28   #331
BHPian

Re: 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look

Thanks Vik

Yes, it is equipped with the alloys. Most probably will go with the Yokos, as this has been the primary recommendation.

Also will you be able to throw some light on the other question I had raised on picking up the maintenance pack for 30k.

Thanks again
Rish
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:20   #332
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Booked the Skoda Rapid Rider variant. Have some questions regarding planned upgrades;
1. How reliable is it to upgrade the steering to a MFSW? Would it impact airbag functioning - would you advise doing this? Do you know of any well known FNG who could do this in Bangalore?
2. Would upgrading to alloys (15'' - same size) make any perceptible difference in handling?

Thanks.
Old 25th November 2019, 00:47   #333
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Owner of a Candy White Rapid Style 1.6 MT here, living in Mysuru. My car has been trouble-free all through these 3.5 months since purchased [booked on 31st July 2019, and took delivery on Aug 22]. The only bone to pick for me is the tyres. All 5 are Apollo Alnac 4G 87H, running tyres being 195/55R16 and the spare is a 14 inch space saver on steel rim. These tyres tend to lose air quickly, and also a week ago experienced a puncture of the left front tyre, while going at 40kph, two onboard, no luggage. Thudded into a pothole just before a road hump. Felt the sound and managed to drive another 50 Km to a road-side puncture shop, only to notice the air was still hissing out from the 1/2-inch cut. Immediately got it deflated completely, got it sealed with the one typically used for tubeless tyres.

Since then it has been travelling in the city and around, speeds varying till 105KpH [only once, coasting down slope], and has held itself very well surprisingly. The front tyres always look like half-deflated, but whenever we took it for inflating to nearby petrol pumps, they check it and say 'saar, it already is 34, why need to inflate?'. Puzzled. Since I am paying a huge chunk of my salary as EMI, any sort of modification/up-gradation/detailing was ruled out even before paying for the car. Hence not in a position for tyre up-gradation/replacement. Requesting suggestions or own experiences from the owners, if this is a common issue or a one-off with my car alone .

Last edited by Eddy : 25th November 2019 at 01:18. Reason: Spacing and typos
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 02:11   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_GPS View Post
Hi Guys,

Owner of a Candy White Rapid Style 1.6 MT here, living in Mysuru. My car has been trouble-free all through these 3.5 months since purchased [booked on 31st July 2019, and took delivery on Aug 22]. The only bone to pick for me is the tyres. All 5 are Apollo Alnac 4G 87H, running tyres being 195/55R16 and the spare is a 14 inch space saver on steel rim. These tyres tend to lose air quickly, and also a week ago experienced a puncture of the left front tyre, while going at 40kph, two onboard, no luggage. Thudded into a pothole just before a road hump. Felt the sound and managed to drive another 50 Km to a road-side puncture shop, only to notice the air was still hissing out from the 1/2-inch cut. Immediately got it deflated completely, got it sealed with the one typically used for tubeless tyres.
It depends where the cut was. If it was not on the sidewall, then you shouldn't worry much unless it has been patched badly. If it is on the sidewall, get it changed without a second thought.

As for the Apollos, they are pathetic tyres. Frankly, I find most manufacturers having very poor OEM choice of tyres. I know a gentleman who used to work for Apollo in the factory here in Gujurat and he claims manufacturing processes were flawed in the first place, forget QC. So it's quite obvious you can't expect anything from them.

Having said that, it might just be a one off and if you are very sure that you can't spend on a Tyre upgrade, don't. Wear this set out and then go for Michelin P4STs and the likes. Very deep potholes can cause Tyre damage. Not something very new.

You should be worried if you find the Apollos lacking in grip or face punctures very frequently. Otherwise, stick to them until the next Tyre change.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 00:42   #335

Hi friends,

I am planning to buy a Skoda Rapid Ambition DSG TDI , dealer has quoted me 12.9 lac OTR with a discount of 2.5 Lac, the other option is VW Ameo highline plus DSG TDI fully loaded for which dealer has quoted me 9.85 OTR with a disc of 2.32 Lac.

Please suggest as my 90% usage is city commutation,

Also is Rapid worth of appx 3 lac over ameo with less features I.e Cruise control, Autorain sensors, auto dim function in rear view glass, 16th Inch alloys etc
Old 1st December 2019, 09:47   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinkcity View Post
Hi friends,

Also is Rapid worth of appx 3 lac over ameo with less features I.e Cruise control, Autorain sensors, auto dim function in rear view glass, 16th Inch alloys etc
In my opinion, yes!

The features you have mentioned are not very important, specially when you are driving mostly in city(cruise control), auto rain wipers are overrated. Auto dimming irvm is essential in my opinion, but then you can get used to manual irvm.

16 inch tyres offer poor ride when compared to 15 inchers. Moreover rapid is a proper sedan, ameo is an ugly contraption in comparison. Oh well, did I forget the additional space you get in the rapid?

Go for the rapid.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 10:42   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
In my opinion, yes!
Thanks ! for your advise, is it recommended to upsize OEM tyres from 185 60 R16 to 195 60 R15, also will it impact warranty of the car ? Pls suggest

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2019 at 10:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 1st December 2019, 11:32   #338
BHPian

The best upsize for your car to get a proper grip, control and aesthetics would be 205/55/R15.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:36   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

I am planning to buy a Skoda Rapid Ambition DSG TDI , dealer has quoted me 12.9 lac OTR with a discount of 2.5 Lac, the other option is VW Ameo highline plus DSG TDI fully loaded for which dealer has quoted me 9.85 OTR with a disc of 2.32 Lac.

Go for Rapid anytime! Rapid gives you the luxury of space. The premium is not always based on features. The price difference is also based on the dimensions.

On features, cruise control is the only major feature you lack in Ambition TDI, but it still has touchscreen, leather wrapped steering and gear knob, projector headlights, and so on. Auto-dimming can be fitted as additional. So, Rapid anytime makes sense in this case.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 1st December 2019 at 11:40.
Old 1st December 2019, 17:41   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_GPS View Post
The front tyres always look like half-deflated, but whenever we took it for inflating to nearby petrol pumps, they check it and say 'saar, it already is 34, why need to inflate?'. Puzzled. Since I am paying a huge chunk of my salary as EMI, any sort of modification/up-gradation/detailing was ruled out even before paying for the car. Hence not in a position for tyre up-gradation/replacement. Requesting suggestions or own experiences from the owners, if this is a common issue or a one-off with my car alone .
Hello Sir, even I had this exact same apprehension regarding my Feb 2019 Skoda Rapid TDi DSG Ambition. I always felt that the front tyres are bit deflated and gave a much hunched down stance to the car when parked, however every time I would take it to the filling station, it turned out to be alright.
So here is my analysis and basically three things to consider :

1. My garage is slightly sloping towards the front and in effect when parked with front of the car facing the main gate, the center of gravity shifts slightly towards the front and as a result the front wheels have to bear relatively more force compared to the rear wheels and hence the deflated stance.

2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-img_20190220_0845502.jpg
Hope this image shows the gradient I was talking about.

2. Air leaking problem was rectified when I started using nitrogen, in practice I have observed that nitrogen tends to stay for longer duration when compared to normal air. I'm not aware about the science behind it though.

3. I have noticed that when car the is parked for longer duration let's say 1 week, the tires tend to take up the deformed shape and it appears that the air pressure has been lost, however the moment I take her out on the flat road right in front of our home, everything looks absolutely normal.

I hope my analysis helps here.

P.S. The gentleman staring at the car is my Dad
Old 1st December 2019, 18:54   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Hello Sir, even I had this exact same apprehension regarding my Feb 2019 Skoda Rapid TDi DSG Ambition. I always felt that the front tyres are bit deflated and gave a much hunched down stance to the car when parked, however every time I would take it to the filling station, it turned out to be alright.
So here is my analysis and basically three things to consider :

1. My garage is slightly sloping towards the front and in effect when parked with front of the car facing the main gate, the center of gravity shifts slightly towards the front and as a result the front wheels have to bear relatively more force compared to the rear wheels and hence the deflated stance.
Sir, regarding the slope, my car is unfortunately always parked on the road side with no shelter, and feeling bad about my huge money spent. The front tires look like deflated irrespective of the gradient, road and outside temperature. But the fuel pump attendants say otherwise [that it is optimally inflated]. What a mystery in my first car!
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 19:06   #342
BHPian

@Guru_GPS Try visiting another fuel bunk and this time give Nitrogen a try. And by the way what tire pressure you maintain?
I always keep my front pressure at 34 and rear at 33 when we are two on board and if the car is loaded then I keep it at 35 all around. The recommended tire pressure seems extremely high to me so I have worked out this formula and I believe it suits my preference well.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 1st December 2019 at 19:36. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 1st December 2019, 20:36   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

I made an enquiry over phone last week with Volkswagen Bangalore for Ameo DSG and the discount offered was only 1L on ex-showroom price(9.99L-1L=8.99L) and an additional corporate discount of 25K coming somewhere around 10.7L OTR. Your discount of 2.32 seems to be a very good deal. Is it after hard bargain? If you don't mind, can you share the split up?
P.S: I called up another dealer and he told me that he doesn't have Ameo DSG and since Ameo production has been stopped, it won't be available at all from him.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:41   #344
BHPian

Does anyone know if bookings for Rapid Rider are still on? If yes, does the buy now pay in 2021 offer applies to that as well?
Old 6th December 2019, 00:05   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
I made an enquiry over phone last week with Volkswagen Bangalore for Ameo DSG and the discount offered was only 1L on ex-showroom price(9.99L-1L=8.99L) and an additional corporate discount of 25K coming somewhere around 10.7L OTR. Your discount of 2.32 seems to be a very good deal. Is it after hard bargain? If you don't mind, can you share the split up?
P.S: I called up another dealer and he told me that he doesn't have Ameo DSG and since Ameo production has been stopped, it won't be available at all from him.
Hi, this vw dealer has 2 cars available at mumbai. Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks