Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2023, 14:48   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 2469115
So I received a challan for my Swift today. I was taking a right turn towards Airoli from the eastern and traffic was slow due to a pothole and the signal turned red as I was traversing the zebra crossing and decided to stop. Got this gift from the police. What should I have done in this case? Should I have jumped the line and tailed the last vehicle and crossed the line even when the signal was red? I have already paid the fine for now.
Exact same incident. Exact same signal. I was fined for stopping over the zebra marking. I also was in the blind due to a truck.

I haven’t paid the fine yet but there was no way to contest as my ddpai dashcam wasn’t pairing with the iPhone.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:27   #377

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

A tale of at least one bogus challan!

There was a traffic jam, and vehicles were crawling in inches. There was a big trailer in front of us, so I really couldnt see anything. And this was the first time we were on this route, so didnt even know that there was a signal, there were no cross-roads or anything. The cops obviously knew this, and they were strategically stationed. We stopped, but so many people who were around us in the jam didnt (guess being a novice driver gets you in such situations). The cop was obviously looking for something, and when we didnt offer anything, and insisted that he book a challan, he booked a bogus one as well.

Here are the two that were booked:
MMVR 239/177 MVA - Jumping signal - 500
CMVR 139/177 MVA- Failed to Produce Documents Within 15 Days of Demand in Writing - 500

For the first one they didnt have any evidence. The evidence they attached was the pic of the car the cop took when he stopped us. How is that evidence of jumping the signal?!

And the 2nd one, what even is it? The incident took place on 12 June, we received the challan a couple of days later. Even if I ignore the fact that I did not receive any request for any document, it's brazen lying that they gave us a 15 day grace period for producing docs!

What was even funnier is that when we raised our grievance for an incorrect challan, our request was rejected within a couple of minutes (yes, minutes, might've been seconds!). Never thought a govt. department can be this prompt!

We had to travel out of town for a couple of weeks, so we paid the challan.

Questions:
  • Is there a chance that they would refund the challan, at least the 2nd one, if we followed up on emails etc.?
  • And what are the medium/long term implications of having such challans, not the unpaid ones, but ones which have been settled?
bijli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:16   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
How to avoid? - There is a common signage i come across in Dubai that says 'Do not enter intersection if exit is not clear'. The car should not be caught standing or moving after white line when signal is Red. Straight big time fine and black points. Ideally to be safe and avoid fine one should brake in green if there is a jam ahead, cars behind will understand and be patient too. But in India, rules are fluid.
I regularly follow the below procedure-
1. Do not enter intersection if exit is not clear. If there is a traffic jam ahead, wait before zebra crossing till the jam gets cleared instead of adding your share in the already jammed traffic.

2. Keep speed low if it has been green before you arrive at a signal without timer. Should be able to stop without getting rear ended by other vehicles if the signal turns red suddenly or if I am unsure of reaching the other part of the intersection before the green light goes off. This way I can stop before the zebra crossing if the green light goes off suddenly.

Sorry, I am not from Mumbai but still sharing my thoughts. I know how time is important to everyone and every minute counts. But still I feel one should be ready to stop by him/her self if need arises.

@SVSantosh Sir, I have quoted your post just for reference. I don't want to offend you.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th August 2023 at 17:21. Reason: As requested
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 10:44   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Kolkata Police has been issuing E-Challans since 2014 along with SMS alerts.
In case of violation, the e-challan is logged against the culprit vehicle's registration number. Owner can log into Kolkata Police website, check the Pending Challan list, pay online and get a printout of a e-receipt.

Been a boon for my Mum, as now she gets to catch the driver, red-handed and see through his lies of "...madam, maine toh kuchh nahi kiya".
After a couple of monthly deductions of the penalty amount from his salary, we possibly have the most law abiding driver ever!

This Saturday I jumped a traffic Signal in Kolkata (Kolkata Traffic Police loves traffic signals) It was a new addition with next old signal just 50 meters ahead and another signal after 80 meters, I got confused and jumped the signal at crawl speed. There were two traffic Cops standing there (for more confused people like me?). I pulled over, cop stated I ran a red light and I agreed. He asked me to wait while he issued me a challan. I got a text and went on my merry way.

Next day I decided to pay the ticket, so I accessed E-challan website which I regularly check ever since automated challans are a thing, but it's not showing there. So, I decided to check the text I received, and it directed me to https://kolkatatrafficpolice.net/ website.
Apparently, I had another prior UNPAID CITATION CASE from January of last year for which I never received any text message, and it is sent to court.

Could anyone guide me how to resolve this citation case pending at Alipore court?
Old 6th December 2023, 11:58   #380
BANNED

Has anyone's license been blockled/suspended due to issuance of a challan in Mumbai? My license got blocked online on Parivahan portal for driving above the fixed speed limit (Driving at 70kmph when limit was 60kmph) however this was in Goa.

So wanted to check if the same is implemented in Mumbai? Jumping a red light also attracts license suspension I think not sure but this is the most committed offence in Mumbai.

Last edited by oilmonkey : 6th December 2023 at 11:59. Reason: change of spelling
Old 7th December 2023, 00:58   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
My license got blocked online on Parivahan portal for driving above the fixed speed limit (Driving at 70kmph when limit was 60kmph) however this was in Goa.
I am not sure if over-speeding has anything to do with DL. Speeding is a violation of the vehicle, DL is about the driver. Lots of people drive other family members' vehicles.

Please check if the Privahan portal if the block was a result of the speed violation.

Drive safe.
Old 8th December 2023, 14:31   #382
BANNED

Yes, it is due to a speeding violation it is mentioned in the remarks. I was stopped by a SI while driving stating they checked my speed on speed gun and noted it was above limit. So while making the challan for speeding they added the car registration number and also the DL number.
Old 17th February 2024, 21:52   #383
BHPian

Until a few weeks ago, I could check the challans issued over my car without any OTP validation.
But now the portal aks for an OTP. Unfortunately, the portal shows some different number linked to my vehicle. I have never changed my number on the portal and used to receive text messages regarding any fresh challans.
So it seems someone has linked their phone number to my vehicle. Also when I try linking my phone, the system sends an OTP to the currently linked number making me unable to do anything.
Has anyone faced such an issue?
Attached is the screenshot when I try to link my own number.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_1378.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks