Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2023, 19:12   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Mumbai Police - Follow the Rules Cars Edition.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-9cb6f150dd4147b6adc5c174e990d276.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-6a7a3a4047174d2581b6e3803d0f0de1.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-f19c690a2fa349d6a86fbf491a8cd64a.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-4408fe6c07554249a8c79fd84fbe0bb3.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-060baab86c964842ad83336972108d53.jpeg

And Škoda India’s ‘Simply Clever’ comment on the post

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-43c34902ba014cf39a5b39a0e70ecb73.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrDHyY_o...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 19:46   #347
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Mumbai Police - Follow the Rules Cars Edition.
Doesn't suit them honestly. They need to look inward to try and weed out the rotten 200-300 Rs., body-cam/phone camera wielding, blackmailing bunch, instead of these sugar-coated, social medium hoo-ha.
Quite distasteful, honestly.
Zinger_Winger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 16:33   #348
BHPian

Everytime you drive on the GJ - Mumbai NH highway the moment you cross into MH you will see these camera welding policeman hiding inside the car, or behind a tree, or brazenly pulling you over for no reason whatsoever. If you have a people mover like an Innova or any car registered except MH then even all the more chances of them pulling you over and doing time pass. This penny wise pound foolish harassment needs to stop.

The same system is following by cops in Ahmedabad only and no where else in GJ where the moment you finish the Vadodara - Ahmedabad Expressway they pull you over for no reason and ask frivolous questions. If you have all the papers in order then they allow you to move forward. Unnecessary public harassment.

Just to add, the speed limit on this NH 48 seems to be vague because from Surat to Ahmedabad there are boards of 100 everywhere including on the Vadodara - Ahmedabad Expressway and from Surat - Mumbai especially once you cross into MH territory from Palghar you find boards of 80 with above mentioned overzealous cops, I have seen 4 vans trying to click speeding cars. They just need to update their speed limits and be more disciplined themselves.

Last edited by M00M : 17th April 2023 at 16:36.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:01   #349
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-stop.jpg
So I received a challan for my Swift today. I was taking a right turn towards Airoli from the eastern and traffic was slow due to a pothole and the signal turned red as I was traversing the zebra crossing and decided to stop. Got this gift from the police. What should I have done in this case? Should I have jumped the line and tailed the last vehicle and crossed the line even when the signal was red? I have already paid the fine for now.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:42   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
[ATTACH=Stop.jpg]What should I have done in this case? Should I have jumped the line and tailed the last vehicle and crossed the line even when the signal was red? I have already paid the fine for now.
You can write to their email address with this exact same reason. They might reverse the challan.
Mumbaiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:30   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2469115
So I received a challan for my Swift today. I was taking a right turn towards Airoli from the eastern and traffic was slow due to a pothole and the signal turned red as I was traversing the zebra crossing and decided to stop.
Its pretty evident that the zebra crossing is at the wrong place. And as long as such crossings exist, many will continue to get fined.
denzdm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 08:28   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2469115
So I received a challan for my Swift today. I was taking a right turn towards Airoli from the eastern and traffic was slow due to a pothole and the signal turned red as I was traversing the zebra crossing and decided to stop. Got this gift from the police. What should I have done in this case? Should I have jumped the line and tailed the last vehicle and crossed the line even when the signal was red? I have already paid the fine for now.
Further to that I have sent pics along with the dashcam footage to the police email id last night though I don't have much hope they will reverse the challan. I want to know from fellow bhpians how can I avoid this situation again? This is a regular route for me and it will become a mental block everytime I approach this crossroad signal.

Attaching some pics from my dashcam video screengrabs.

Notice the signal is green while I am still moving accross.
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-pic1.png

The signal turns yellow/red and the other vehicles scurry away. I had not noticed the signal while I was driving and was looking at the tail of the Ciaz as it was negotiating a pothole plus that tall tempo had blocked my line of sight to the signal.
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-pic2.png

I stop while others were gone and had to bear the brunt of not jumping the light as I had to stop over a zebra crossing.
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-pic3.png

Any suggestions how to avoid this situation. Next time I dart across too when I am this close to the signal? I wonder what the rule book says about this? Should we go ahead or stop?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 12:48   #353
BHPian

I had typed a detailed reply yesterday to sumeet's post and managed to spill a mug full of black coffee on my 1 month old laptop ruining my day. Fortunately had taken applecare+ which covers unlimited accidental damages.

Anyways back to the topic.....I too have been fined on a couple of occasions for such stoppage beyond white line, when indeed I like an obedient driver stopped instantly after seeing the yellow. This happens at places like the Ravindra Natya Mandir Prabhadevi signal which is so vast and full of Grid lines that if you are even driving at 10~15 kmph and you see the Green drop to Yellow, you are stranded like a Deer caught in the headlight, hoping no camera catches you. I think the sensible option would be to move on and hope that there isn't a physical cop waiting to catch you for jumping the signal.
The MTP constables sitting in their offices to catch violations, do they see the situational videos when they catch cases like us or they just go by the static images that they send us? In your case you have your footage to prove whereas my dashcam footage overwrites in 15 days and the challans that come are over 2-3 months old with no way to prove.
One challan I was stopped at Linking Road signal on my way to Dadar for moving on in a yellow ( which I saw in the dashcam). Same situation like yours where I was beyond the white line and moving at 18 kmph and the signal turns yellow ( which the dashcam can see but beyond my sight). The team of constables to catch such juicy preys were waiting in hiding and asked if I wanted to do 'settlement'. All this was recorded on my dashcam, the footage which I sent to the Grievance cell. Still they rejected my Grievance stating onduty constable is right. I paid that challan too but have escalated the matter stating that 'Cop asking for bribe.Refused to pay hence challaned"

1) There should be clarity on cases where we are in a limbo of "to cross white line or to jump signal" when we see Green drop to Yellow and we are already beyond the stop line.
2) Escalation of challan mechanism. Right now if your Grievance is rejected then there is no escalation system. Nor is there any way to upload our footage when registering our Grievance.
riteshritesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:57   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions how to avoid this situation. Next time I dart across too when I am this close to the signal? I wonder what the rule book says about this? Should we go ahead or stop?
So I asked chat GPT what I should have done and below is the response.

In India, when a driver has already entered an intersection or a zebra crossing and the light turns yellow, it is generally expected that they should continue their movement and clear the intersection or the crossing, rather than abruptly stopping. Stopping suddenly on top of a zebra crossing can cause confusion and potentially lead to a traffic hazard.

However, it's important to exercise caution and ensure that you clear the zebra crossing safely without endangering any pedestrians. Be mindful of their right of way and allow them to cross the road before proceeding further.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:02   #355
BHPian

I think my driver is Mr. India. And Mumbai Police is Mogomba with a red lens. Because the car parked by my driver with no one inside got a Challan for "no seatbelt worn". On appealing the decision based on their own proof, they didn't reverse the challan.
invidious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:17   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Further to that I have sent pics along with the dashcam footage...
Okay this post certainly added a lot more valuable perspective to your original post (which seemed like you might have been at least partially in the wrong).

When rules are strictly enforced, we sometimes fall victim to the shortcomings of poorly planned infrastructure, as is the case here.

It's an unfortunate case of 'chicken and egg' -- what comes first: improving infrastructure or enforcing rules? And do we need to completely hold of on the latter until the former is complete?

Quote:
So I asked chat GPT what I should have done and below is the response.
I think in this case you did the correct thing, as you were NOT blocking the intersection in your current position, and attempting to cross/clear the intersection at the time at which you were given the chance would have been a danger to other motorists.

Any response to your email as yet? (Do remember to check your spam folder too)

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th July 2023 at 12:18.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:31   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2469115
So I received a challan for my Swift today. I was taking a right turn towards Airoli from the eastern and traffic was slow due to a pothole and the signal turned red as I was traversing the zebra crossing and decided to stop. Got this gift from the police. What should I have done in this case? .
I received a Challan on this same place 4 weeks back. I saw the red light and stopped, a Bolero Camper behind me, crashed into me
I stopped my car 1-2m ahead because of this and went behind to access the damage. The damage wasn't much because the Black Plastic rear Bumper on the Nexon took the hit, so no damage to the paint. Also since the Bolero Camper guy must be poor, i let him go without asking him to pay for anything. On closer inspection later that evening at home i realised a difference in the panel gap. The rear bumper impact seems to have increased the panel gap by a few millimetres.

My car is the blue Nexon EV. The image I am attaching with the post was attached on my challan.

The damage wasn't much but i was quite upset with this incident. I was feeling suffocated after the impact even after visually seeing no damage. Had to stop the car after the Airoli bridge for 5 minutes to calm myself down. This incident happened at about 9am in the morning. After i reached office I saw a message of the challan pop up which has made me furious. I raised a dispute against that saying that they should check the traffic cam and based on that they'll realise I was stopping but the guy behind me rammed into me. Due to this i stopped a little ahead. Got the response to this that my dispute has been rejected and I have to pay the fine
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot_20230706132916.png  

StrykerEV05 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:38   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2469115
Should I have jumped the line and tailed the last vehicle and crossed the line even when the signal was red? I have already paid the fine for now.
I think you should have continued ahead if all the following statements are true:
  • The signal was green when you reached the pedestrian crossing
  • All vehicles ahead of you proceeded to cross the signal
  • Continuing to cross the signal would not have blocked traffic from other directions

The rules seem to be quite clear in this case.
12. Traffic control signals.- While approaching a traffic control signal, the vehicle shall slow down and follow the directions given by the traffic control signals in the following manner, namely:- (1) Red traffic light, - (a) a motor vehicle facing the red light of a traffic control signal at an intersection or at a place other than an intersection, shall stop the vehicle before the stop line preceding the pedestrian crossing; (b) if the stop line is not marked or, if marked is not visible, the vehicle shall stop before the pedestrian crossing;

Source:https://www.indiacode.nic.in/show-da...21&orderno=131
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:39   #359
BHPian

It seems the MTP staff is getting trigger happy with their keyboards. It is time that the Traffic Commissioner is made aware of such wrong practices and systems are put in place for appealing Grievances. Isn't the onus on MTP to prove with evidence that their fine is correct when challenged? ( the practical scenario maybe different altogether).
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:22   #360
BHPian

The traffic fine system is biased againt commuters. Automated or manual challans, the motive is to extract money as much as possible. And all of this without a proper appeal mechanism. I once spoke to a higher RTO officer when I went to their office to pay my fine, and I complained that fines are too frequent and too high. He replied "Sir, we are just doing our duty and following the law. The law has been made by the people YOU voted".
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks