Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:09   #301
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

There are traffic cams installed on almost every overhead structure that appears on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. By force of habit now, I have started reducing speed to well below 80 kmh the moment I spot these. Some of them even have a cheeky board which says "Smile, you're on camera!" Every time I reduce the speed, I pray to God that some speeding vehicle from behind does not ram into mine.

On the WEH in Mumbai, the most obvious cameras are on the stretch between Kalanagar and Vakola. On the EEH, the stretch near Godrej is a notorious one.

IMHO, the speed limit should definitely be kept at 100 kmh across major highways; this can be reduced near city limits or crossings etc. But limits placed on random stretches are appalling! Also, have witnessed so many luxury high-end vehicles whoosh by on highways at insane speeds; wonder if the fines are just a drop-in-the-ocean for these people
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:25   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
There are traffic cams installed on almost every overhead structure that appears on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Every time I reduce the speed, I pray to God that some speeding vehicle from behind does not ram into mine.

IMHO, the speed limit should definitely be kept at 100 kmh across major highways; this can be reduced near city limits or crossings etc. But limits placed on random stretches are appalling! Also, have witnessed so many luxury high-end vehicles whoosh by on highways at insane speeds; wonder if the fines are just a drop-in-the-ocean for these people
On the Expressway, In my experience, a lot of those cameras are dummies. The real speed cameras are fewer in number and some aren't as easy to spot until you see the flash.
The last few drives most drivers were keeping a check on their speed and it works well with fewer rash drivers.

There was a lot of confusion in the past but they seem to have worked on it:
The speed limit is 100kmph on Expressway, 70kmph on ghats, 80 on eastern freeway and highways (west and east).
In the city the upper limit on smooth roads is around 60kmph such as Marine Drive, otherwise in the range of 30-50 (JJ flyover is 50 though sign boards only indicate 30kmph on bends which results in cars moving at around 20kmph near these cameras).

Hope this helps!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:40   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
On the Expressway, In my experience, a lot of those cameras are dummies. The real speed cameras are fewer in number and some aren't as easy to spot until you see the flash.
The last few drives most drivers were keeping a check on their speed and it works well with fewer rash drivers.

There was a lot of confusion in the past but they seem to have worked on it:
The speed limit is 100kmph on Expressway, 70kmph on ghats, 80 on eastern freeway and highways (west and east).
In the city the upper limit on smooth roads is around 60kmph such as Marine Drive, otherwise in the range of 30-50 (JJ flyover is 50 though sign boards only indicate 30kmph on bends which results in cars moving at around 20kmph near these cameras).

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info lamborghini! The Mum-Pune Expressway bit is truly mind bending! The psychological fear of getting a challan will make sure a lot of us are wary enough. Basically, best to play safe, never know when one can get his/her Kodak moment!

Last edited by IamNikhil : 3rd August 2021 at 02:41. Reason: Typo
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:45   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The psychological fear of getting a challan will make sure a lot of us are wary enough. Basically, best to play safe, never know when one can get his/her Kodak moment!
In my honest opinion, the speed limits are fair for the majority of cars on the road, given their condition & the various surprises that are in store.
There are the luxury & sports cars who would complain, but hopefully a race track will come up soon allowing the owners to explore the full potential of their machines safely.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:04   #305
BHPian

Okay, so it seems the fine collection for overspeeding on Mumbai-Pune Expressway has touched almost 30 crore within a year and over 3 lakh vehicles have been found flouting limits!

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/pune...w/84740012.cms
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:13   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a pending challan on my Vento for 200/- for a parking violation in May 2019 somewhere in Mumbai. The evidence was solid (clear pic of my numberplate), though I didn't remember the offence itself.

I remember trying to pay it online sometime last year and thought that was the end of it. But recently decided to check for any outstanding fines on my vehicle and to my surprise there it was again!

I immediately tried paying it through Billdesk gateway using my UPI. The request came through on my bank's mobile app but somehow the payment failed to go through on the site and it continued to show Unpaid.

Tried again this time through the internet banking option. The payment got debited from my account so I thought that was the end of it. The next day I checked and it still shower Unpaid. Puzzling, since the debit had gone through. So I raised a grievance, which told me to check with my bank for both my payments since they hadn't received the payment. Since the amount is small I tried again this morning through the Billdesk gateway (the other option is SBI) and my internet banking again. Transaction got abandoned halfway (no debit to my account).

I raised another grievance, this time under the head of "double payment" but it was rejected within the hour. Amazing efficiency!

It suddenly struck me that maybe I was trying to solve the wrong problem. So tried the SBI e-gateway option, figuring I could use a friend's SBI card in case it accepted only those.

To my delight, one of the options was my bank's internet banking and the payment went through immediately. The status changed to Paid and I was able to download a receipt as well.

The problem had been BILLDESK all along!

It's really strange since, if this is a known issue, they could simply have put an alert or indeed taken that option off the website. I've been using Billdesk for years now and have never faced an issue like this!

Anyway my record is now clean again, so no worries.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd December 2021 at 13:15.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:48   #307
Team-BHP Support

What irritates me is that I live in a chawl of a city with part enforcement. The lane outside my house in Sewree / Parel is inundated with permanently wrong parked vehicles - both sides occupied by a gazillion scooters and some cars. They have also made the one way there as a deemed two way street exacerbating traffic issues. The foot path has been taken over by illegal encroachment stalls. While some parts of Parel and Lower Parel have steep parking violation fines, these no parkings are virtually blessed by BMC and the local political parties.

If you’re going to strictly enforce, catch these jokers also with their unreadable vernacular plates, dark tinted window, misparked vehicles and what not.

Speaking of tracks, I don’t really want to speed at 180 kmph on a track. All I want is to go about my frequent commuting between Bbay Pune at a sensible speed without playing a video game to make progress through cars and trucks in the wrong lane.

These cameras to my mind are little to do with public safety / law and order and everything to do with easy revenue.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:32   #308
BHPian

Speed violation tickets have become a harassment to daily travelers from Kharghar/Panvel to Colaba. First of all there are very unscientific speed limits at certain stretches of Sion Panvel highway and then speed cameras on the Freeway. On the Sion Panvel highway, Kamothe bridge, Kharghar Bridge, Curve near DY Patil Stadium, have 40-50kmph speed limits, the stretches before and after these bridges have 80kmph limits, the cops with Interceptor Ertiga position their vehicle just at the end of these bridges so when you are on the decline from the bridge you have two option, either brake to maintain speed of 40kmph and get rear ended, or drive with normal momentum and get a speed ticket. similarly there are such traps at the end of Vashi bridge, Vashi creek Bridge(Mumbai End), 50KMPH stretch of Freeway near Sewri, I witnessed shattered glasses just 20-30m before the camera on this location on the freeway yesterday, not sure if it was due to panic braking after sighting the camera and speed limit, as before that stretch it is a smooth 80kmph limit. Anyways the cops must have got a very clear footage of that accident. By the way the freeway has a particular location where there is a 40kmph and 80kmph speed limit board just maybe 50 meters within each other, next time i will ask my co passenger to take a pic of it as it is clearly visible in a straight line.

Coming down to my story, I got a speeding ticket for driving at 86kmph in a 80kmph zone, this was on a flyover decline!
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-whatsapp-image-20211227-11.30.38.jpeg

So yesterday while travelling to Colaba made a mind to strictly adhere to the speed limits. As it was Sunday traffic was sparse yet I noticed that most of the vehicles were adhering to the speed limits, I guess most of them received speed tickets . While driving on 40kmph stretches I made sure to drive on the left most lane in order to avoid getting rear ended or cause inconvenience to others, yes I got a few ridiculing glances from other motorists, like 'What the hell is this man doing driving at 40kmph on a highway!' maybe they hadn't yet got their speeding tickets.
Once onto the Freeway, I maintained speeds between 60-70kmph on 80kmph limit stretch, and it wasn't just me, most of the motorists were driving below the speed limit! As it was a traffic free road due to Sunday, I reached Gateway of India from Kharghar within 1 hour 15 minutes.
The good sides of the story.
1- Got a mind boggling 26.2 km.ph on my Diesel Tigor (Tank full Method), MID showed 28.5 km.ph, for the 102 km to and fro journey. That's just 360 worth of diesel, or call it 3.6 rupees per kilometer in city with 100%AC and 4 full size passengers!(yes I do understand it was mostly freeway and highway with no traffic)
2- As most of the other vehicles too were adhering to speed limits, there was hardly any harsh lane cuts, and rowdy pass overs experienced.
3- State of visual alertness was high as I had to always spot the speed limit boards and hear the speed camera alerts form Waze app.
4- Silky smooth ride quality as the vehicle hardly exceeded 70kmph.
5- No Speed Tickets!

Last edited by ArTigor : 27th December 2021 at 11:38. Reason: grammar
ArTigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:52   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are traffic cams installed on almost every overhead structure that appears on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. By force of habit now, I have started reducing speed to well below 80 kmh the moment I spot these. Some of them even have a cheeky board which says "Smile, you're on camera!" Every time I reduce the speed, I pray to God that some speeding vehicle from behind does not ram into mine.
The speed limit on E-way is 100, and all fixed cameras fine you for exceeding 100. Stretches with lower speed limit are the section from Sinhagad college upto beginning of ghat, and entire ghat (which is on paper not E-way), The Kamshet tunnels, and slope and curve at the both ends of Kamshet tunnels, in both directions the gradient approaching the tunnel is not a lower limit area.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 09:04   #310
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know how your vehicle is removed from the MTP app as well as the back police system which records ownership?

How exactly is this done when a car is sold for instance?

ALso, do these speed cams pick up those ridiculous Devanagari fancy number plates too or do they have a free pass to do whatever they want. It’ll be downright unfair if they get away with a double whammy. An illegal plate and also detection free passage through these speed cams.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 15:18   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

I received a Challan for what could be parking in a 'No-Parking' Zone thanks to Mumbai's ever evolving list of them, however under payment it simply says 'Sent to Court' with no option to pay.

What does this mean?

I even checked with an RTO Agent who says the challan is not showing up on the RTO portal, but on the website it is still listed with the payment status as 'sent to court'.

It's been less than 15 days from date of receiving the Challan so it definitely hasn't been sent to court for delay in payment.
Old 29th January 2022, 10:11   #312
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I received a Challan for what could be parking in a 'No-Parking' Zone thanks to Mumbai's ever evolving list of them, however under payment it simply says 'Sent to Court' with no option to pay.

What does this mean?

I even checked with an RTO Agent who says the challan is not showing up on the RTO portal, but on the website it is still listed with the payment status as 'sent to court'.

It's been less than 15 days from date of receiving the Challan so it definitely hasn't been sent to court for delay in payment.
If the Maharashtra system is anything like the Delhi system, the "sent to court" thing is a positive development for the affected party (you). Here, if the challan is not paid in a week or so, it is forwarded to a virtual court for further adjudication and the fine is slashed by half in most cases (has happened with every challan in my case - overspeeding challan reduced from ₹2000 to ₹1000 and so on).

Bhpians from Maharashtra would be more familiar with the system there though

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2022 at 20:59. Reason: Typo
sierrabravo98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:24   #313
BHPian

Interesting thread for the folks in Maharashtra.

Ive been a regular (3 times a week) on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. I know the spots where the cameras are located so usually I slow down.

But recently, a few days ago, had to drop off a friend to the airport in Mumbai who was traveling abroad. He had booked an Uber, but when he got to know that he has to do do a RTPCR at the airport and wait for an hour, he panicked and told me to drop him as cabs do not go above 80Km/ph.

On the EWay, knowing the spots, slowed down, but then there was this corner on the way to Mumbai, the camera flashed "IN YOUR FACE" and i knew that i had been issued a challan.

Checked on the portal a few days later, got a fine of Rs. 2000/- for over speeding.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-hspcc22000101785_02.jpg

So the images mentions that I was in 100Km/ph zone and I was doing a 121 Km/ph.

Another hilarious situation, a friend who drives Honda Civic, has got 5 Challans of Rs. 1000/- each for over speeding on Pune Kolhapur road. The images show that the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" Ertiga vehicles have challaned him.

Coming to the hilarious part, one of the challans issued to him was for doing 81 Km/ph on a 80 Km/ph Zone.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-pnccc20003086696_02.png
acestormtrooper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:05   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post

Coming to the hilarious part, one of the challans issued to him was for doing 81 Km/ph on a 80 Km/ph Zone.
He maybe able to contest / request to have this dismissed this since it's 1kmph over the limit. No harm trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
If the Maharashtra system is anything like the Delhi system, the "sent to court" thing is a positive development for the affected party (you). Here, if the challan is not paid in a week or so, it is forwarded to a virtual court for further adjudication and the fine is slashed by half in most cases (has happened with every challan in my case - overspeeding challan reduced from ₹2000 to ₹1000 and so on).
Ironically I got 2 of these fines in a matter of a week - blemishing my almost clean record.
The first one was on 18th Dec, the second (the one in question) was a few days later. The website allowed me to make the payment for the first one around end-Dec, but the second one (the later dated one) was shown as 'Sent to Court' with no fine amount mentioned.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:00   #315
BHPian

Has anyone received a message regarding unpaid cases being sent to Lokpal? My wife got such a message today, asking for payment to be made by some date in March or be present in front of the Lokpal for the case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks