Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2018, 13:09   #196
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Pray tell me why is that bad?

Several developed countries have speed limits on freeways and they're enforced. A freeway isn't a race track where one can drive at whatever speed one wants!

"Drive safely and sensibly at sane and legal speeds and with empathy (eg. slow down near habitation even if no traffic), regardless of whether being policed or not", that should be our motto. Once we imbibe that culture, only then do we deserve to be a motoring nation.
While I'm in agreement with you on the over-speeding, where we're lacking is that in developed countries, there's also a fine under-speeding.

We have so many Omni's & commercial buses driving at 40~60 that they end up clogging the Freeway.

My PoV is simply that 80 is too low a speed for the Freeway, there should be variable limits for turns & straight junctions & the law should be that if you're on the Freeway, you HAVE to maintain that speed.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 07:45   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karooo View Post
An Octavia with 180bhp should not be lumped together with a 1.3 litre Ciaz when the road is mostly empty IMO. Sadly, there are very few places in Mumbai where you can enjoy your performance car.
But thats precisely the mentality that needs to change. Just bcoz I have a 183 bhp car, doesn't mean that I exercise it towards its full potential on *public* roads.

Quote:
I do agree that motorists should follow the law but I hope they increase the speed limit in the freeway since it's mostly empty with not much traffic.
That is a fair ask. Just do the needful to follow the process and get the speed limits changed, however long the process takes. But till that materializes, we need to follow the law like the word of God. Thats a culture-change we need.

I lived in the US for over a decade. There was a time when their roads were suited for 150 kmph driving (road-quality wise as well as safety/visibility-wise), but even then the posted speed limit was 55 mph for more than a decade (ie. less than 90 kmph). And guess what, a vast majority of the people would stay at 95 kmph or below speeds (exceeding limit by only 5 kmph, which is typically forgiven). You would have the occasional rogue who would zip at 160 kmph, but hey, there are exceptions everywhere, but they were a minority.

(after several decades, they hiked the speed limit to 65 mph, and even then, vast majority of vehicles obey the limit and are within 70 mph, which is forgiven by cops/radar per unwritten rules)

But here in India, I see that the vast majority overspeeds. If the speed limit is 80 kmph, 80% of the cars go at 110 kmph or higher. We have a race-track mentality where we always want to overtake the vehicle in front. Heck, there'll always be a vehicle in the front!

Trust me, it is a lot safer and less stressful to drive at 80 kmph on Indian roads, and reach your destination safely. If you have cruise control, just cruise at 80 kmph and enjoy. The time saved by overspeeding is not worth it.

This is true regardless of how good a driver you are, certain things are beyond your control (tire bursts, others making mistakes, blind corner or pedestrian making mistake and suddenly darting in, etc). You don't want to live with blood on your hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
...there's also a fine under-speeding.

We have so many Omni's & commercial buses driving at 40~60 that they end up clogging the Freeway. ...
Yes, unfortunately, we're very far from changing that. 6-laning will help, along with a highway patrol service. I don't know why Gadkari-ji isn't mandating and requiring a well equipped and trained highway patrol service on all highways in India. Even countries like Thailand, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have it, I think (certainly Thailand, I've seen with my own eyes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
...My PoV is simply that 80 is too low a speed for the Freeway, there should be variable limits for turns & straight junctions & the law should be that if you're on the Freeway, you HAVE to maintain that speed.
Yes, and the speed limits have to be posted clearly and visible from far.

Last edited by SDP : 5th May 2018 at 07:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 14:12   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
An Octavia with 180bhp should not be lumped together with a 1.3 litre Ciaz when the road is mostly empty IMO. Sadly, there are very few places in Mumbai where you can enjoy your performance car.

I do agree that motorists should follow the law but I hope they increase the speed limit in the freeway since it's mostly empty with not much traffic.
Honestly, I disagree!
I have seen so many bad accidents on the freeway, it just isn't funny! The straight for example has battle scars on both sides of the road, where people have totalled several cars (I have seen a 730D, a S4, and a couple other fancy cars meet with accidents here).

Until better driving sense, better vehicle maintenance, and better road conditions prevail - we are probably better off driving our cars sanely. While you may in total control of your Octavia at 180kmph, all it takes is one small incident to turn the control into an accident - could be the taxi swerving into your lane to avoid a homeless person who wandered on to the freeway (I have seen that too), could be a drunk person driving their Audi down the wrong way (let's not forget that case), etc.

Yes, there are moments you can enjoy a few bursts of speed - but it should be limited to that on public roads.

Fact is: most other developed countries, with better infrastructure, better road manners, safer and more powerful vehicles, have speed limits that are in line with 120kmph on highways. And people do abide by it!

Why can't we?
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:38   #199
BHPian

Just found out that I've been smacked with 10 challans for Sea Link speeding. Most of mine have been around 88-90 which I'm assuming is during overtaking because I usually have cruise control on for the Sea Link.
Does anyone know where exactly these cameras are, so I can avoid overtaking in those areas, because It's quite boring to be stuck behind a Santro doing 70 for 7 minutes!
Old 25th May 2018, 16:40   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
Just found out that I've been smacked with 10 challans for Sea Link speeding. Most of mine have been around 88-90 which I'm assuming is during overtaking because I usually have cruise control on for the Sea Link.
Does anyone know where exactly these cameras are, so I can avoid overtaking in those areas, because It's quite boring to be stuck behind a Santro doing 70 for 7 minutes!
They are right in your face / above you. Surprised that you missed them!

From worli to bandra its just after you take the right turn and enter the straight stretch. Look up after 100 meters.

On the bandra to worli stretch they are after the toll booths. Once you take the left hander, it's clear if i recall properly.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 17:47   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird quandary - don't know whether to laugh or rue my situation

My number plate last 4 digits is (0)408. Searched for MH-XX-YY-408 and just by chance also entered MH-XX-YY-0408 - I have different speeding challan under both numbers

Both are single digits over the 80kmph - one one Eastern freeway; other one on WEH.

Today is turning out just fine!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 18:27   #202
PPS
Senior - BHPian

So had a new driver for the day & we've received another challan for speeding on the Sealink!

Interesting thing is that the offence seems to have been committed in the morning around 10:30 am as I can see myself in the pic seated on the front passenger seat while in the details it says offence time was at 4:15pm ! I wasn't in the car or anywhere near the Sealink at that time in the evening. Picture says Sealink North Lane 2 while the car was going in the south bound direction in the morning & north bound in the evening.

Seems like they've got the facts all jumbled up & I wonder whether I should challenge this challan by writing to them?

I keep seeing videos on Instagram of supercars speeding on the Sealink but they hardly seem to have any speeding offences registered! Everything is random I guess.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th July 2018 at 15:58. Reason: Typos fixed
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 18:43   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
So had a new driver for the day & we've received another challan for speeding on the Sealink!
Interesting thing is the offence seems to have been committed in the morning around 10:30am as i can see myself in the pic seated on the front passenger seat while in the details it says offence time was at 4:15pm ! I wasn't in the car or anywhere near the Sealink at that time in the evening. Picture says Sealink North Lane 2 while the car was going in the south bound direction in the morning & north bound in the evening.
Seems like they've got the facts all jumbled up & I wonder whether i should challenge this challan by writing to them?
Even if the details are jumbled up, The picture itself would be enough and you'll have to pay the fine sooner or later.

Quote:
I keep seeing videos on Instagram of supercars speeding on the Sealink but they hardly seem to have any speeding offences registered! Everything is random i guess.
Cameras are only at certain spots, Only if you cross the speed limit while crossing the camera, You'll get a fine, Observe the next time, I see many cars being slow before the camera and they start crossing the speed limit once the camera has passed by.
Old 6th July 2018, 18:55   #204
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed before - but do cops have the right to challan / fine anyone based on YouTube Videos. We have scores or channels (Media, Auto magazines, Other YouTubers) who test cars / bikes to the limit. Can cops not use this as evidence to fine anyone?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 15:17   #205
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed before - but do cops have the right to challan / fine anyone based on YouTube Videos. We have scores or channels (Media, Auto magazines, Other YouTubers) who test cars / bikes to the limit. Can cops not use this as evidence to fine anyone?
Offcourse they can, that is if they want to! Remember that selfie which Varun Dhawan took with a fan by jumping out his car window, the cops found out his car number somehow & issued him a challan. Similarly Kunal Khemmu riding his superbike without a helmet was captured by a press photographer, Mumbai Police promptly issued him a challan on Twitter. So the same yardsticks should apply for youtube videos as well.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 15:02   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Many journos on TV now say we did this on a private road - you can't be fined on private road.

Unless cops can prove the location that it is not a private road that they crossed the speed limit, they can't do anything.
Old 10th July 2018, 14:36   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
...in the morning around 10:30am as i can see myself in the pic seated on the front passenger seat while in the details it says offence time was at 4:15pm !
Time difference being ~5:30 hrs makes me wonder if its some timezone setting misconfiguration.
Old 10th July 2018, 14:57   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know what type of speed cameras are used by the Mumbai Police? Radar based or Laser?
Old 25th July 2018, 16:48   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Just an update, JJ Flyover in South Mumbai has speed cameras present.

The speed limit on this road has also been revised to 50kmph on the straights (as compared to 60kmph earlier).

There are no signs or notifications about the speed limit being revised / camera placement.

We got a ticket on Friday for going at 60kmph on the flyover, to which I have written and asked for them to review the same.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 17:04   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there more cameras been put on the sea link now? I got clicked from the front this weekend while going from bandra to worli. However, I thought the cameras are only right after you pay the toll on the overhead so that can only click you from the rear. After that there was no other camera until worli seaface.

Most Viewed