Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 09:44   #1411
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Wow! What a killer pricing! Superbly done by FCA. This has become like the Reliance Jio situation, now other manufacturers will be compelled to bring down their prices lest they lose out on their sales numbers. The only vehicle truly not affected is the Innova Crysta I guess. All the rest of the lot in the segment and the segment above, surely are. The Tiguan is a joke now I believe. The only thing left for the FCA is to put up more service centres in the coming year to complement their stellar product. I can't even fathom what will happen when the Renegade comes out with a sub-10 lakh price! Kudos to FCA! Finally India is starting to get good internationally acclaimed products at reasonable prices.
cunnuvila is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:45   #1412
BHPian

Jeep should thank Hyundai if Compass becomes a block buster success.

Hyundai overpriced the Creta and showed Jeep that a good overpriced product can sell well in India. Then Hyundai overpriced Tucson to leave just the right gap for Jeep to position the Compass. Now prospective Creta owners can think of stretching their budget and get a much better product (read bigger engine, much better build quality, loaded with safety features). Prospective Tuscon customers can save some money and get a better product.

Also, Jeep played it smart by overpricing the Wrangler and Cherokee. It increased their aspiration value. Jeep will be regarded as the brand that started with 75 lakh vehicles and then got into mass market (similar strategy as Tesla did by starting with Model S and Model X followed by Model 3). While Hyundai and others (Tata/Mahindra) are mass market brands that are trying to get into premium segment. So people might prefer to own the Jeep Brand over others.
anshumandun is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:57   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Actually not. Creta is not a patch on this car. Creta is a hatch on stilts with no characteristic of SUV or even proper crossover other than 'sitting high'. Atrociously high priced for what it offers. Compass is in a league of its own - driving dynamics, engine etc. If someone loves plastics in the car, then Creta is better. For better chassis and engineering, Compass is way way ahead. Even S Cross is a better product, mechanically, than Creta.
Then why are half the posts on this thread about comparing it to Creta ! You can not compare a product that is priced 50% higher variant to variant to the Creta.

How about comparing it to the MU-X/Trailblazer which is very near the Compass price range ! Or even the Duster AWD which is half the price and equally capable.

Last edited by BUXX : 1st August 2017 at 10:00.
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:05   #1414
BHPian

Checked the Compass at the Coimbatore dealer. It is impressive in terms of build and interior quality. The pricing therefore is very sweet. The SA told me that base Petrol variant would cost around 18L on road which seemed VFM for the product. Delivery time quoted was 3 months.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:07   #1415
BHPian

Apart from the initial rush of early adopters/buyers for the exclusivity, I feel continual sales would depend on how good the after sales and the maintenance costs/accidental repairs would be. If jeep manages that well ( now that they have roped in Raghavendra Kulkarni to head it) then they might have really good numbers, else they can still keep the exclusivity
Old 1st August 2017, 10:26   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Jeep should thank Hyundai if Compass becomes a block buster success.

Hyundai overpriced the Creta and showed Jeep that a good overpriced product can sell well in India. Then Hyundai overpriced Tucson to leave just the right gap for Jeep to position the Compass. Now prospective Creta owners can think of stretching their budget and get a much better product (read bigger engine, much better build quality, loaded with safety features). Prospective Tuscon customers can save some money and get a better product.
Most likely we will now see Hyundai reacting to the Jeep prices by cutting Tucson prices by 2-3 lacs which they easily can and cite improved localizatiom. Then the Tucson will start from 19 lacs onwards and will become good value for money and from a marketing perspective it will flank jeep on both sides with the Creta and the Tucson. With Hyundai's service network they will still get good success with this approach. End of the day it would be sedans which would take a large hit as many customers are migrating to CSUVs due to the bad roads and waterlogging everywhere and this monsoon is sure rubbing it in well in most places!
A sedan while being more comfortable is prone to damage from bad roads and waterlogging much more than the Suvs. Once the Nexon comes in, if will hit the sedans even more. The new Ecosport will also be a generation leap from the current version and will also build back Fords reducing Ecosport numbers. The segment leader the Brezza will continue to lead and have high demand though.

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st August 2017 at 10:28.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:28   #1417
BHPian

While the general consensus is that this is brilliant pricing, I feel that Compass is overpriced. With this price point, after the initial euphoria, it will settle down to 500 units per month, which is way below the Jeep goal of 2500. With small volume, can Mopar remain Mopar or will it devolve into Fiat service? Then again, I have been completely wrong about Creta and Crysta. So, maybe, Jeep will manage the volume it wants.
ashlil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:29   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's how the Compass is placed, as compared to it's chief rivals:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dgfo6xuwaae7ddc.jpg

Quote:
Interestingly, at the announcement conspicuous by its absence were the words "introductory pricing". Speaking to Autocar India, Flynn said, “We debated using (the word) ‘introductory’, but I really did not want to; it dampens the mood and we are really focused on maintaining the price, quality and cost goals.” Thus, while the Compass pricing can be hiked, it’s likely to stay super competitive for a while. What will help Jeep achieve this is the localisation level that the company says is yet being increased from the current 70 percent.
ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:41   #1419
BHPian

Did I read it right?

the base petrol and the base diesel have a price variation of just 50k. That disparity is less than most hatch backs in the market.

I feel Jeep has simply killed it with pricing.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:45   #1420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
1.4L MultiAir Petrol:

Sport = 14,95,000

Limited AT = 18,70,000

Limited (O) AT = 19,40,000

2.0L Multijet Diesel:

Sport = 15,45,000

Longitude = 16,45,000

Longitude (O) = 17,25,000

Limited = 18,05,000

Limited (O) = 18,75,000

Limited 4x4 = 19,95,000

Limited (O) 4x4 = 20,65,000
The big mystery remains unanswered.

On what basis did they announce the winner of the price prediction contest? The winning entry was 18,63,280/- if I remember correctly and he hasnt got it close to any of the variants.

Some BHP'ians had predicted much better, within only a couple of hundreds range of the launch prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Did I read it right?

the base petrol and the base diesel have a price variation of just 50k. That disparity is less than most hatch backs in the market.

I feel Jeep has simply killed it with pricing.
That's because most products in this range offer NA petrol and Turbo Diesel motors, wheras this is a turbo petrol.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st August 2017 at 11:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:56   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Then why are half the posts on this thread about comparing it to Creta ! You can not compare a product that is priced 50% higher variant to variant to the Creta.
Exactly! The Creta SX+ petrol 'on road' price is less than the base Compass ex-showroom, and everyone is calling out Hyundai? What gives?
Tucson? yes that will face some heat, but that is not a big number mover for Hyundai anyway..
DuHasstMich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:02   #1422
BHPian

The excitement of Jeep pricing is yet to subside.It will not only create an impact on W10 and Creta top end buyers but am also rubbing my hands in Glee to think of how Audi Q2 will be priced after this stunning announcement.Now that safety at affordable price has been established, let us wait and see how others will introduce new products.Finally we the consumers are getting our due of seriously safe vehicles at the right price point.I hope by Diwali Jeep addresses a lot of the observations like Sunroof et Al with an options pack.Now ppl will be vary of the Renegade pricing as well.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:08   #1423
BHPian

Honest pricing by FCA . While we are looking at Creta, XUV, Hexa, Tucson and Tiguan, I just took a look at the Q3 specs. 1.4 Petrol engine produces 150 hp and 250 NM torque while the 2 litre diesel produces 150 hp and 184 hp. The numbers say it all with reference to the Compass. Except for brand conscious luxury car buyers, the Compass has a legitimate chance even against the entry level luxury car market and if it is successful, that is quite some feat to achieve .
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:09   #1424
BHPian

How many Compasses will Jeep be able to sell per month? And how many would it need to sell to break even?

The Compass' chief rival, the Tucson, sold 56 units last month and 85 the month before that.

And the lesser rival, the Creta sold 6436 and 8377 in June and May.

Now, Creta has a very low entry price (below 9L). In fact the cheapest Compass is more expensive than the costliest Creta.

I don't see the Compass weaning away more than 10% of the Creta buyers. Add 90% of Tucson sales and still I don't see the Compass crossing the 1000 mark.

With lower margins, would Jeep be able to survive with a 1000 per month?
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:30   #1425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Exactly! The Creta SX+ petrol 'on road' price is less than the base Compass ex-showroom, and everyone is calling out Hyundai? What gives?
Tucson? yes that will face some heat, but that is not a big number mover for Hyundai anyway..
And even that top end SX+ variant doesn't come close to the base variant of Compass when it comes to the mechanical aspects.

1.6 VTVT petrol v/s 1.4 Multiair (VVT + Turbo)

126bhp v/s 160bhp
151Nm v/s 250Nm

Dual airbags v/s standard ESC, TCS and HAC.
Drum brakes at rear v/s all wheel disc brakes.

Torsion beam v/s Multi link rear suspension + Frequency Selective Damping.

So unless there is an argument on the size of the touchscreen etc, not much of a contest here. And that trend exists across segments. The top variant of a lower segment vehicle will mostly always offer more features than the base variant of the higher segment.

Everyone is calling out Hyundai because Tucson is the competition to the Compass worldwide, and Jeep has managed to undedcut it significantly.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks