Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2018, 21:07   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyahanspal View Post
Hi Guys! I'm new here, in fact i joined after reading up all the forums on the GTI because i really wanted to thank BHPians anandpadhye and santoshbhatt for their SUPER informative reviews and general knowledge about the GTI. I finally got my hands on one and been driving it since a day! ... ... ...
Wow. There are many bigger, posher, faster, far-more-expensive cars among the Team-BHP membership for sure, but you drove in here in a GTI! That's way impressive enough for me. Welcome!

I drive a GT TDI, by the way. Quite gently most of the time, and never at even a fraction of the car's actual capability. And that probably wouldn't change a great deal if someone gave me a GTI. But the size of the smile on my face would!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 06:52   #182
Team-BHP Support

This is where VW is really losing the plot. An old generation Polo GTI with a realistic price point is easily getting buyers. They can easily create a space for themselves in India with safe and powerful models and launch those when they are relevant, but then they decide to tug along with the old Polo, now with the new and improved 1L engine
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 09:24   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow. There are many bigger, posher, faster, far-more-expensive cars among the Team-BHP membership for sure, but you drove in here in a GTI! That's way impressive enough for me. Welcome!

I drive a GT TDI, by the way. Quite gently most of the time, and never at even a fraction of the car's actual capability. And that probably wouldn't change a great deal if someone gave me a GTI. But the size of the smile on my face would!
Thank you sir! That too, my first car ever! You're right about the smile! Just knowing that you got that much torque and bhp, so easily accessible whenever needed, gives a huge huge smile, AND that coupled with the car's size, and price - (under 20L) makes it so so good! This car can start a new specification category which other cars can follow, "Power to Price Ratio" unless there already is a category like that.. Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow wow wow! Congratulations And good to connect.
What a car, Pity VW priced it greedily in the beginning. Glad that you got a good price.
Can't thank you enough! Your post about getting it for 19.2 OTR got me motivated to even consider the possibility of owning this car! Thank you!
What's the news some BHPians are saying that more cars are expected soon?
I also liked how our dealer submitted a 'Bill of Lading' and all the import docs for the car, good to know the name of the ship and which voyage and how much VW paid to the logistics company to get these babies here! (i'm not sure if that's standard procedure for CBUs, since this is my first - of many (hopefully) but what a great experience feeling special because of a special car!)

Are there any GTI Clubs in India? Ive seen some GT Tsi Clubs on instagram..

Let's make one on Team-BHP! I think it'd be great for others to see what us lucky GTI owners are upto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I stretched out to look at a red one today, but turned out to be a souped-up GT, the 4 doors gave it away!

Not sure what is the latest on stocks are... Is someone tracking?

For the pre-owned enthusiasts in KA, there is one here but asking way more than the OTR of a new one but should be available for a steal - http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...gen/Polo.html/
I did some super comprehensive research to hunt these down, all over India! I literally called almost all major city dealerships! Here's what i found!

There was a car in Chandigarh (not sure which colour)

Mumbai Dealership has a test drive car about 1000 kms done. You can squeeze a great deal out of that - that's the one i was wanting to get in the first place! But then i got a brand new at a better price!

Mumbai has 2 Dealerships, The one called VW Downtown Mumbai might also have one!

There's a can at the Nagpur Dealership.

There's one down south i think.

PLUS many dealers might have TD cars! Going for a steal!

So that's about 4 to 5 cars!

Hope this helps someone!

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid submitting back-to-back posts. Use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting consecutively.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th March 2018 at 15:42. Reason: Please see note in post :)
satyahanspal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 17:48   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can't thank you enough! Your post about getting it for 19.2 OTR got me motivated to even consider the possibility of owning this car! Thank you!
You are welcome. Glad this was useful.
Yes, it will be good to have a group of GTI owners in India. This will be very useful - to share information, issues, source tyres, batteries at reasonable prices, etc.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 10:26   #185
BHPian

Quote:

PLUS many dealers might have TD cars! Going for a steal!

So that's about 4 to 5 cars!

Hope this helps someone!
This helps for sure. I am from Ahmedabad and dealer here is very adamant about pricing. They have sold about 4-5 cars and now they have a test drive demo with 5600 kms on ODO. They are still asking for 17.5 lacs ex-showroom. I tried very hard to negotiate but they want to hold on to it. And then i thought why am i behind a test drive demo that too with over 5600 kms. I would rather consider a sparingly used pre-worshipped one later this year. I still wonder how much should be the ideal price point for such test drive demo. Any idea anyone?

Last edited by ajmat : 21st March 2018 at 10:41. Reason: fixing quote
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 10:35   #186
BHPian

Considering that brand new vehicles (which are about a year and a half old) have been sold for 19 lacs Xe-showroom, a TD car with 5600 km on the ODO should be sold for around 13-14 lacs ex-showroom.

This should also be accompanied by a complimentary changes to tyre, brake rotor/pad, engine oil and battery upgrade.

Above can be done at a discount if not completely FOC.

Even the suspension of th TD car should be inspected for abuse.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:40   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
Considering that brand new vehicles (which are about a year and a half old) have been sold for 19 lacs Xe-showroom, a TD car with 5600 km on the ODO should be sold for around 13-14 lacs ex-showroom.

This should also be accompanied by a complimentary changes to tyre, brake rotor/pad, engine oil and battery upgrade.

Above can be done at a discount if not completely FOC.

Even the suspension of th TD car should be inspected for abuse.
I think it is difficult to put a price on something that is available in limited numbers. Price after all is a function of demand and supply. All the dealer needs is one person who sees value in buying the car at 17.50 lakh Ex Showroom and he is done.

Having said that I would not touch a car like the GTI that has 5,000 test drive kms on it even if they gave it to me for 14 lakhs Ex. It is very likely to be abused badly and this is not a Toyota we are talking about. It is a rare CBU VW car with hardly any common parts with other VW cars sold here. The DSG is delicate enough as it is. I don't think it will take very kindly to all sorts of people launching the car as fast as they can, drifting, brake testing and what not.
Santoshbhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 15:26   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
This helps for sure. I am from Ahmedabad and dealer here is very adamant about pricing. They have sold about 4-5 cars and now they have a test drive demo with 5600 kms on ODO. They are still asking for 17.5 lacs ex-showroom. I tried very hard to negotiate but they want to hold on to it. And then i thought why am i behind a test drive demo that too with over 5600 kms. I would rather consider a sparingly used pre-worshipped one later this year. I still wonder how much should be the ideal price point for such test drive demo. Any idea anyone?
I think i know the reason for this, which i know is the fact for one TD car in Mumbai. The dealer had purchased this PRE July 2017, BEFORE the 6L INR discount from VW themselves, i guess they're holding on trying to lose the least amount of money as they can! I got my car at about 15.8 Ex Showroom - BRAND NEW. But i guess my dealer could give me that price cos they themselves purchased it at a 6L INR discount!

Best way to find one is what i did. Get all dealer numbers form the VW website and call them all to see who's got what! You might just find a brand new car!

Hope this helps!
satyahanspal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:00   #189
BHPian

Quote:
I'd stay away from the overtly abused 5.6K clicks TD car, rather recommend you look at this one although in CH but only done 250 KM's and yet to be registered - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=4&isP=false
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:53   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I'd stay away from the overtly abused 5.6K clicks TD car, rather recommend you look at this one although in CH but only done 250 KM's and yet to be registered - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=4&isP=false

Wow, good find!

Seems like a student going abroad for higher studies. Strange that he bought the GTI while pursuing admission abroad!

Anyways, good opportunity for someone who missed out on buying one. He is quoting 17L ex-showroom, while the price is already dropped to 15.5. Considering it's an unused, un-registered car, if the deal can be closed @15.5-16L, it will be an excellent deal. The hassle to get it across the state and register will be worth the trouble - such is the machine

Alas...I don't have anybody in my circle with an appetite for the GTI and I have no use of a 2nd GTI
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:14   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Considering it's an unused, un-registered car, if the deal can be closed @15.5-16L, it will be an excellent deal
I would consider the car lightly used, probably as a test drive car with the 250 kms odometer reading. A brand new car has no business having that many kms on the clock. My GT TSi was delivered with 21 kms on the odo.
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:58   #192
BANNED

Har, har! Looks like VW has finally decided to take its head out of cloud-cuckoo land (or out of the sand, take your pick)! A prima donna FWD hatch at Maserati SM prices - which at least had the benefit of high-visibility bad PR with Idi Amin Dada as one of the first owners. With neither the Maserati cachet, nor a famous villain as owner, VW badly needed to be pulled down a peg or two. Specially after the diesel-gate scam emerged as the automotive crime of the century! Never mind if other mfrs. came tumbling out of the same closet subsequently!

Last edited by shashanka : 23rd March 2018 at 09:00.
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:04   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO the couple of things that really impacted the sales of the GTi:

1) Unreliable Gearbox
2) High on-road cost
3) Not very practical as it is a 3 door.

Even then, people were willing to buy the car, but Skoda pulled a rabbit out of it's hat with the superbly priced, quicker, and that much more drool worthy vRS!
In cities like Mumbai, the difference between the discounted GTi & the vRS was only INR 2-3L for a quicker, and more practical car that was loaded with all the bells and whistles!

Eventually VW was forced to reduce their prices to a more reasonable level, and all of a sudden the demand is there. Granted it's not as much as the stock Polo, but given the pricing and the configuration it's quite brilliant!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:39   #194
BHPian

Quote:
And then i thought why am i behind a test drive demo that too with over 5600 kms. I would rather consider a sparingly used pre-worshipped one later this year.
Stay away, stay away. No turbo idling, redlining cold engine & abuse by potential customers & more so by staff come free with such demo car. A demo performance hatch with DSG (driven by Ahmedabadis) = a big NO NO.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 15:46   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got mine for about 19.7 OTR! I'll be around here to answer any questions anyone has, cos i was so greatly helped by the BHPians on this forum! Cheers!
Firstly congratulations of your first car, which is truly a special one (GTI)

What was the ex-showroom price quoted since you got it for 19.7 OTR?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks