Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 21:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
P.S: Are those fixed headrests at the front? Hope not.
The 1st gen Santro was with removable front headrest but the last production version was very much sold with fixed front headrest.

I see no issues with headrest since the product looks good otherwise. Only hope that this being peoples car - Hyundai should not go greedy like Creta and let entry level buyers enjoy the way everyone enjoyed the previous iteration of Santro.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:43   #197
BHPian

The cream of the crop here is the 4 cyl engine. Do you know how cumbersome the 3 cyl waggy is to operate in bumper to bumper traffic? The knee starts aching and calves irk in pain due to constant clutch inputs so that the engine doesn't stall !

What hyundai is providing the customers for the same amount of money is phenomenal. Definitely the input cost for producing 4 cyl unit is more than 3 cyl, but hyundai knows what the customers want.

Nobody likes to sit in a car which rattles like earthquakes whenever you stop on the red light.
Smooth 4 cyl will admired by all, be it new car buyers,
beater seekers or even cabbies!

This will surely give the Waggy a run for its money.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 6th October 2018 at 21:45.
Rshrey22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:57   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
But, WagonR will still maintain the lead in the segment followed by Santro & Tiago trailing both.

Good point. Nothing will shake the Maruti dominance in the segment.

Maruti has close 2000 outlets in over 1500 cities and towns. Hyundai has around 1100 outlets in around 700 cities and towns. The pure reach of Maruti is enough to kill any competition.

Maruti is still a monopoly in towns and cities where Hyundai does not have dealers.

That said, the new Santro should stabilise at 10-12 k a month. Hyundai will be happy as the Eon was no where close to even the 5 k mark of late.

Love the fit and finish and rear AC vents and the icing will be a 6 speed transmission if the offer one.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 22:46   #199
Senior - BHPian

Other auto portals are posting t-bhp images already Some of them seem to have got the original photos
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/all-new-h...-debut-1927902
https://www.rushlane.com/hyundai-san...-12280719.html
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/new...l-1900889.html
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 23:26   #200
Senior - BHPian

This new Santro shares as many components or design details with the original tall-boy Santro, as the Zen Estilo did with the original Maruti Zen.

They took care to name the car rightly to evoke emotions, then also brought in nostalgic moments from their 20 year journey through a video. But looking at that front end, I have mixed emotions. The car looks alien - especially when we picture the earlier Santro and Santro Xing cars. Interiors however are top notch for the segment 👌
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 23:35   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
This looks like the manual transmission. The joystick trigger is for engaging reverse.

Could be the 6 speed.
I believe it is the AMT. If you look closely, the boot on the right side of the Lever occupies a lesser area as compared to the left side. Probably leaving space for the Lever position indicators in the AMT
niteshbids is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 02:21   #202
Senior - BHPian

The cabin space screams economy. Are the power windows switches in the center? The driver arm rest doesn't look long enough. They could have a separate panel out there too.

Doesn't look like a tall-boy anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
That gearshift lever has a joystick trigger - does that mean its a 6-speed gearbox? Or the AMT box?

ASince reverse is displaced next to 1st, instead of below 5th. So, are Hyundai actually offering a 6-speeder that has warranted this lock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
This looks like the manual transmission. The joystick trigger is for engaging reverse.

Could be the 6 speed.
I doubt its a 6 speed- small engines don't have a good amount of torque to make use of the six speed box. I think this is an AMT.
Fact: Rapid and Vento diesels have a 5 speed GBs with the reverse next to the 1st. They don't have a lock lever- the gear lever has to pressed down to engage reverse.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 06:12   #203
BHPian

I have a soft corner for Santro and the new avatar looks great. Although, the resemblance/signature of the original model is lost. Looks more like an i10.

It would be interesting to watch the tussle between the new Santro and the upcoming Wagon R. The latter still inherits design cues from the original model.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 09:54   #204
BHPian

To all those wondering if the car is a manual or automatic. I believe that it's an automatic because there is no numbering on the gear lever itself. Also, the toggle switch might be required to engage the car in reverse gear.
farooq817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 12:01   #205
BHPian

In my opinion, the way they have borrowed the Grand i10 design and messed it up(especially the front view), naming it Grand i10 "Transform" would have been appropriate.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:03   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not convinced with the external design of the new Santro. Somehow it looks like a Chinese first copy of the current Gi10, both from the front and back. On the other hand, the interiors look very good and upmarket. My only complaint- the position of power windows.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:34   #207
BHPian

How about industry first crash ratings of 4 stars for the entry level? Will this sound too costly for Hyundai?
Old 7th October 2018, 13:55   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Some info he had on the car:

• It will be named- Santro.
• Santro will come with a 1.1 litre Petrol, making 68 hp, 104nm torque.
• ARAI fuel consumption figure is- 20.3kpl.
• Santro will have a touch infotainment system which will support Android Auto and Apple Car Play. There will be steering controls for the audio system.
• Rear Camera will be offered.
• Rear AC vents, first in the segment will be offered.
• Pricing will start at 3.69 lakhs for the base variant and will go upto 5.40 for the top end variant.
• An AMT type Autoamtic transmission will be offered
Given the initial look of the interiors, if all of the above is true including the pricing, Tiago will feel the heat for sure. Even Ignis to an extent. Let's see what Maruti does to the new WagonR.
Old 7th October 2018, 15:08   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Given the initial look of the interiors, if all of the above is true including the pricing, Tiago will feel the heat for sure. Even Ignis to an extent. Let's see what Maruti does to the new WagonR.
None of the cars will be effected, because each of them are good in their own sense.

Santro will do good numbers, Tiago and Wagon R will continue with their numbers. I don't see any car facing the heat. Because Santro isn't that kind of car.

If you compare these 3 (Santro/Tiago/WagonR), each of them have their own Pro's and Con's.

Santro has good Interiors and Good Features, but wait the other 2 aren't poorly equipped either. Just they don't get Touch HU, which can be easily addressed in updates.

What I want to see from Santro is whether it will be as rounded as Tiago. WagonR is up for change, I'll reserve my comments until new one launches.

If you live that, in between Santro and Tiago, I think both are equally good. But Tiago certainly is very cheap to maintain, and also has excellent ride quality. Not to forget, it's priced very well despite being launched over 2.5 years back.

While the Santro will be round about the same price range as Tiago, I think the Bigger Engine, Better Ride, Low Cost of Ownership, Excellent Value will make Tiago a better car then Santro. While Santro will be banking on New Hyundai's Core Strengths of Good Design, Good Quality Interiors (Even Tiago's Interiors are good and well finished) and features to sell.

While I want a nice looking car, with Good Interiors, and features as well, I also want it to be comfortable and nice to drive at. In the last 2 aspects, unless Hyundai have engineered it well, I see no reason why Tiago would be a better choice then this new Santro.

On a side note, I'll have to test drive it and decide which is better. Hope Hyundai meets my expectation.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:24   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
None of the cars will be effected, because each of them are good in their own sense.
I have to replace a 14 yr old Alto in the family. So far, it's only between the Tiago and Ignis (AMTs). But, I would wait for the Santro now that I see another good option. While I like the Tiago, elderly in the family like the upright seating of Ignis more. Santro, the original tallboy, I am hoping will carry on the legacy and should be better in this dept. I am sure there will be many more in a similar situation. Anyway, we'll have to wait and watch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks